HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Carolina Game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Carolina Game
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 18, 2018 06:09AM

It's only preseason.... but....

to the extent it's at all revealing... Not a whole lot has changed. It's still a dink and dunk offense which doesn't work all that well when penalties continue to give them 3rd and long.

Crossing routes continue to be a problem for this defense. At the risk of repeating myself, linebackers stinks.

Stopping the running game is going to be a theme this year. With no decent DTs and small linebackers, what we saw last night will likely carry over into the regular season.

They still can't finish drives. Settling for field goals when you're inside the opponents 20 yard line usually means you're going to lose. On the plus side, at least Sanders didn't miss any.

Again, nothing I saw last night makes me think that I'm wrong about the likely result of this season. Sub .500 record. Third preseason game is more game-planning so it'll be interesting to see if they look any better.

On a final note, Matt Burke is an ex-defensive coordinator in the making. I see nothing about this guy that makes me think he's a decent coach. Gase's chances for success would be so much greater if he had a decent staff. Sean McVay with the Rams is the youngest head coach in the NFL. When he gets his chance, they hire Wade Phillips to coach the defense. Maybe instead of all the purging of the roster, getting someone like Phillips for your staff would've yielded much better results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carolina Game
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 18, 2018 06:23AM

Fins72, I agree with your assessment. While I do think there's a good deal of talented players in Dolphins' uniforms, most of that talent is not being coached very well. This is a theme that continues year-after-year. We have seen two preseason opponents now that have far better trained players than we do.

Play calling from the sidelines (Gase) is incredibly poor. Not being able to score a TD plagues this team and is evidence that coaching is subpar which manifests itself in poor execution and penalties that stop the drive cold.

Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: August 18, 2018 02:13PM

Hello, yes i agree same old stuff. we needed a LB and we draft a safety, which we already have enough of, doesnt seem like a smart move, we need good DL got squat. We have the lowest yards per pass attempt i swear in the history of the NFL. we got a scrambling qb that is actually very good on roll outs but we keep him in the pocket. We finally have a awesome TE that catches everything thrown his way, but we dont throw it to him. We have CB that miss tackles and raekwan or whatever his name is looks like he is playing pee wee football. It will be a miracle to win 5 games. Our d coach is a joke, our Oc doesnt even make the calls. And gase is a fool and has no business coaching. Maybe a coordinator but not a head coach. Thank god i have a liquor store down the street and an oxygen machine in the room lmao. Same hype every year and same results. I honestly have no idea how to fix this mess, but get rid of all the coaches and the front office. I mean these guys are professional players and 100 percent are not being coached the right way at all.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 06:46AM

Caught the game on the nfl channel and agree coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Burke is playing checkers w/ chess pieces. The Panthers OC played him
like a fiddle in the first half. He consistently called players to negate his defenses. Although there were individual mistakes as always by the players I blame more of the problem on Burke. It appeared that he did not learn much in 2017.

Same w/ O. No consistent success. Penalties, field goals instead of tds, guards make blocks on some plays get beat or miss on others.

Right now this team does not look good. Its on the coaches.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 04:23PM

It's funny, I actually had to turn off my tv, while watching preseason game #2. It sickened me! I hate the coaches on this team!
Burke is an absolutely horrible defensive coordinator!
He just has no clue on how to scheme. I was thinking the same exact thing as mizzou... He is getting out coached by the other teams coordinators. He plays a zone defense way too often... he needs to have his defensive backs play press coverage. That is how Tankersely, Mcain and Howard excell...
AND,,,,Gase is a horrible offensive play caller. He is totally uncreative. He is the reason we are put in third and long situations all the time. He is the source/cause of the red zone issues.
He really has no clue...
Had he not had Landry last season, he would of scored less than 12 points per game! Landry bailed his poor ass play calling out.
Funny thing is I actually like Gase. I think that the players actually respond to him. I just think he has no clue how to call plays.
AND all of his coaches suck! Minus the special teams coach!

Let's see how the next preseason game goes. I am not expecting much difference than what we saw this Saturday in Carolina!

Sad to say, but Gase needs to go!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 20, 2018 03:18AM

Date: August 20, 2018 05:26AM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's funny, I actually had to turn off my tv,
> while watching preseason game #2. It sickened me!
> I hate the coaches on this team!
> Burke is an absolutely horrible defensive
> coordinator!
> He just has no clue on how to scheme. I was
> thinking the same exact thing as mizzou... He is
> getting out coached by the other teams
> coordinators. He plays a zone defense way too
> often... he needs to have his defensive backs play
> press coverage. That is how Tankersely, Mcain and
> Howard excell...
> AND,,,,Gase is a horrible offensive play caller.
> He is totally uncreative. He is the reason we are
> put in third and long situations all the time. He
> is the source/cause of the red zone issues.
> He really has no clue...
> Had he not had Landry last season, he would of
> scored less than 12 points per game! Landry bailed
> his poor ass play calling out.
> Funny thing is I actually like Gase. I think that
> the players actually respond to him. I just think
> he has no clue how to call plays.
> AND all of his coaches suck! Minus the special
> teams coach!
>
> Let's see how the next preseason game goes. I am
> not expecting much difference than what we saw
> this Saturday in Carolina!
>
> Sad to say, but Gase needs to go!

Burke is so in over his head as a coordinator, it's laughable (except to Dolphins fans). That said, I was watching the DTs during both preseason games. No push whatsoever. The only guy that had any push was whatsoever was Taylor and he wasn't playing against the starters. Goes back to what I said when they first started floating the idea of cutting Suh. I get the fact that his contract was way too big to carry... but have a plan on what you're going to do when you subtract the best defender on an already bad defense. Their plan? Trade for Akeem Spence. Spence in particular has been invisible the first two games. I get that it's preseason. I try not to place too much significance on what happens but, it's not encouraging that the middle of this defense is basically getting pushed around like they're high school players. No DTs drafted. No DTs of any significant talent signed in free agency. What in the hell do these boobs think was going to happen? No even get me started on the linebackers.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 20, 2018 02:38PM

Gase was made by manning. Nothing more nothing less. His staff is philbinesque.

It is painful hearing they need to "clean things up" over and over. This is his team, his staff, his culture. It's sink or swim time. No more excuses.

Burke is nothing more than an interesting guy that takes extreme vacations. he is in so far over his head it's comical.

And quit bringing up negative plays or penalties. Every team has those. You have to be able to overcome them. In essence he's saying we need to play a clean game to have a chance.

Date: August 21, 2018 04:41AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gase was made by manning.

I've said the said thing. I never wanted Gase. Was hoping they'd hire Marrone. When Peyton Manning is the QB of a team, there is no need for an offensive coordinator. Manning is the de facto coordinator. Last year, the excuses were Tannehill was hurt. McMillan was hurt. I wonder what the excuses will be this year?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 02:01PM

I wanted Marrone and Coughlin. Look what they did in Jax. The culture changed with them, not changing players.

Gase wants to be friends with the players.

My hope is Ross finally lures Harbaugh here next year. There's talent on the roster.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 22, 2018 11:39AM

I have read where Gase, during the preseason, is just running vanilla plays. He wants to see how his guys react in certain situations. He doesn't want to give away too much, which is probably why we haven't seen much of Gesicki.

This week we should see (at least) some of what is in the Miami playbook, on both sides of the ball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.