HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          MAN IS IT TIME YET!!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
MAN IS IT TIME YET!!!!
Date: May 03, 2009 08:12AM

i cant wait for preseason!!!!!! i cant wait till a solid practice start, im anxious about the wr's and pat white!!!!! and wake!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MAN IS IT TIME YET!!!!
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:24PM

I take it that this is the meaning behind your name. Am I right?

Stunner (nickname): An ill-conceived supposed self-empowering nickname meant to rhyme with the last name "O'Connor." Over time it has branched off into other various conjugations and forms used to bring either ridicule or humor or both, i.e. "Atom Heart Stunner" or "Keep on Stunnin in the Free World." May also be used in the first person; ex: "I'm a lean, mean stunnin machine."

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: May 03, 2009 04:35PM

Are you serious Twilley?? Look Mr. Etymology, I don't know how old you are but the phrase "number one stunner"??? C'mon man, Cash Money Millionaires! Big Tymer's.... Birdman, Lil Wayne, the song "Number one stunner"...

It was a big hit (granted a hit with an arguably select audience) The video was pretty much all about cars and bling, hence the #1 Stunner is he who has the most toys; essentially the guy who is wearing all of his money for everybody to see just how awesome he is. An image Birdman and Lil Wayne covet and were clearly trying to project. The phrase lived on in future albums, was adopted by other rappers, and became a cheesy and over-used hip-hop phrasology that I thought had finally died out until the good Lord blessed us with the above discussion poster.

Date: May 03, 2009 05:14PM

Case in point, google the phrase "number one stunner" and see what the first thing that pops up is. In fact, the entire rest of the results page as well as most of the other pages will bring up stuff about this Cash Money-originated pop phrase

Posted by: KMar10 ()
Date: May 03, 2009 05:43PM

I would comment on this but am far too fearful of the inevitable taunting I would receive as a result. Hell, there I go again using words with more than two syllables. Sorry about that, I meant: I'd say somthin' but don't wanna get yelled at.

Date: May 04, 2009 02:35AM

Jeez man, let it go. I made one comment about a post you made like a week ago. I even let you get the last word in for that discussion. Can we move on.

Posted by: KMar10 ()
Date: May 05, 2009 04:34AM

You're taking me way too seriously. I have no animosity toward you. I was just having fun and it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. However, it isn't necessary to "let" me get the last word in; I can take care of myself. Though I was never at war, I'll call a truce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 04:41AM by KMar10.

Posted by: tboneabbott ()
Date: May 05, 2009 05:19AM

KMar10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would comment on this but am far too fearful of
> the inevitable taunting I would receive as a
> result. Hell, there I go again using words with
> more than two syllables. Sorry about that, I
> meant: I'd say somthin' but don't wanna get
> yelled at.

Does someone needs help? (I wish we could stay on topic)
For Me
I can't wait for The Miami Dolphins Training camp to start!!!

Date: May 08, 2009 03:21PM

LOL. Although I am a basketball coach and therefore completely surrounded by the hip hop culture, I never payed any mind to the music. This has actually led to me being reprimanded for allowing inappropriate pregame music. Call me naive, but I really just didn't care. I absolutely despise rap music and have never even heard of those "big tymers".

As an educator(math teacher), I assist my language arts teaching cohorts by constantly correcting my students and players. They often struggle to ask questions or say sentences properly. I pretend not to understand and won't respond until they do. They often mock the way I speak, but it is a skill they must possess in order to be successful in the working world. I do the same in my math class, insisting that they use math terminology in order immerse them in the language just as a foreign language teacher might do.

You might think it makes me out of touch or, since the majority of my students are black, even suggest that I am a racist for doing so. That is not the case. I care deeply for my students and simply hold them to a higher standard for their benefit. Most of them actually find it rather funny.

I probably feel so strongly about this because I was raised by two English immigrants who constantly corrected me and still do.

Date: May 08, 2009 05:03PM

Believe me if I was in your shoes I would operate in the same manner in order to reinforce the proper usage and pronunciation of the many grammatical concepts often butchered by those in the school system pegged as lower socio-economic status students.

I can sort of relate. I am finishing my last few weeks of work as an ESE Instructional Aide for Leon County Schools (Tallahassee) Early Childhood Program, before I start graduate school in the Fall. I work with children from some of the worse off parts of town, and I make it my business to reinforce the proper annunciation of words as well as encouraging them to use the expanded vocabulary we're always working so hard to help them develop. I often use the same strategy: Pretending not to understand their jargon, refusing to respond to questions or comments that aren't communicated clearly. (They don't need to speak like scholars, we're just pushing as hard as we can to get them to adopt the developmentally appropriate verbal skills as the necessary foundation for future success in school and life.

That being said, I don't think you're out of touch or anything close to racist. I was just kind of facetiously pointing out the crazy hip-hop origins of that poster's name as if not knowing about the Cash Money Millionairess would make one some sort of ignorant shut-in. Like I said, the song was obviously only popular with a select fan base (people who were in to that kind of rap at that time) Personally, I found it amusing because as a 24 year old, I did listen to rap and I actually remember when that song came out.

Date: May 08, 2009 05:29PM

lol using proper language lol lmao is for chumps. i make my own language, well ok not realy but you get the point, i also use fist to help talk to other's man i didnt know the stupid name would cause so much controverse, and i hate hip hop!!!

"You were right numberone...you were right. The PATS and the 'BOYS had the same thoughts too. numberonedumbanddumber- you are a genius"Wow, another sterling prediction by the poster child for the dangers of illiteracy.So, let me get this straight. Essentially, the Dolphins traded Jason Taylor for Jason Taylor and Pat White and saved 7 million dollars. Now, I am not the greatest talent evaluator, but that sounds like a good deal to me."

Date: May 08, 2009 07:08PM

dolphinsnumberonestunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol using proper language lol lmao is for chumps.
> i make my own language, well ok not realy but you
> get the point, i also use fist to help talk to
> other's man i didnt know the stupid name would
> cause so much controverse, and i hate hip hop!!!

Uhhhhh....I can't understand what the hell you're talking about??? No one is making fun of you, a few of us were just discussing where the phrase "numberonestunner" from your log in name came from. There is no "controversy." No one was ridiculing you. We were just talking about the origin of your sign-on name (apparently I was wrong) and then somehow got off topic and mentioned something about hip-hop that led to an ebonics disucssion.

( Though I do have to give you credit for offering two insightful comments that I find as inspirational as they are telling,

"i also use fist to help talk to other's man"

"lol using proper language lol lmao is for chumps."

mmm...good stuff

Date: May 08, 2009 08:17PM

That is why the stunner is the man. Very entertaining. As for you, Panteraize, thanks for the information and good luck at grad school.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.