HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Beck DID sign with Ravens
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Beck DID sign with Ravens
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: May 03, 2009 05:30AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beck DID sign with Ravens
Posted by: Carolina Phin ()
Date: May 03, 2009 07:06AM

Hope he does well, I think it was very stupid to not at least get some draft pick for him. I would have at least let him try playing a preseason game or 2 first to see how he does with a good OL. He had nothing for a OL last season... It's really strange but it's almost as if the trio has something about Camerons players. It should have nothing to do with Cam's players but what the players can do on the field.

Date: May 03, 2009 08:07AM

well the guy had bad hands holding on the the ball, he is also 28, so i mean? oh well yeah be nice to get a pick but, we dont need him, we got younge better talent. good luck beck.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 04, 2009 02:33AM

So he's back with the coach that destroyed his career? Good move eye rolling smiley

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 04, 2009 03:47AM

Cameron wants to prove a point. Too bad he won't succeed.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 04, 2009 06:07AM

If we could have gotten draft picks for Beck we would have, no team was willing to give up a 7th rounder for him, they knew he was getting cut. Cameron is actually giving him a hand (out?). This is a good move for him to show he is an nfl qb. After Flacco the Ravens qb job is pretty much open. Troy Smith has talent but I think the front office here wants to see him take the game a bit more seriously and Todd Boumann is Todd Boumann

Date: May 04, 2009 08:58AM

We could had traded beck before the draft.....Maybe a 6th maybe a 7th......But after we drafted pat white everybody knew we were going to let go of beck.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 05, 2009 08:28AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We could had traded beck before the
> draft.....Maybe a 6th maybe a 7th......But after
> we drafted pat white everybody knew we were going
> to let go of beck.

Really? Who was going to offer us a pick for him? Which team(s)? I never read anything about teams offering a pick for Beck, but if that's the case, yeah we should have taken them up on it.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: May 05, 2009 08:32AM

Hindsight is always 20/20, but going into the draft, the Phins didn't know that they were going to get White. If they had, they probably could have gotten something for Beck prior to the draft - even if it was a 6th or 7th rounder in 2010 or 2011. Anything would have been better than nothing. But no one knew for sure that we were going to get White. Once we got him it was clear that Beck was a goner, at which point, we lost all negotiating power.

Date: May 05, 2009 08:49AM

I hear ya NEFF (and samsam), but I'm wondering out loud whether any other team really would have even given us a 6th or 7th rounder before the draft.

Date: May 05, 2009 09:06AM

JC I really do not know if any team were to give anything in return for beck...But i wish the phins management would had tried to get something for him at least a 7th. Before the draft.

I do not know if they did try or not and NFF brings a good point....They didnt know pat white was going to be available...BUTTTT that been said.....
I doubt they had any plans for beck anyways....Anybody they would had drafted would had taken becks place anyways.

I wish beck the best and everything but any other QB taken in the draft would had been as good as beck or better..............I might be wrong i dont know? What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 09:07AM by samsam3738.

Date: May 05, 2009 09:22AM

I will answer my own question....

Its too late now sam.

Date: May 05, 2009 09:40AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> JC I really do not know if any team were to give
> anything in return for beck...But i wish the phins
> management would had tried to get something for
> him at least a 7th. Before the draft.
>

And I have to believe they *did* try to get something for Beck before the draft but nobody took the bait. I have no proof of that, but my assuming this helps me keep what's left of my sanity.

Date: May 05, 2009 10:00AM

JC Wrote:

> >
>
> And I have to believe they *did* try to get
> something for Beck before the draft but nobody
> took the bait.

You are probably right!.

Date: May 05, 2009 10:10AM

Maybe.

But if they made a definite effort to trade Beck prior to the draft than it probably would have been a clear signal to many teams that we intended to take White if he was available in round 2.

Date: May 05, 2009 10:14AM

True. Endless posibilities to this case.

Date: May 05, 2009 11:04AM

My guess is that prior to the draft they kept mum about trading Beck so as not to tip their hand about White. After White was drafted they probably tried to trade Beck but had no leverage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 11:06AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: May 06, 2009 05:27AM

Back is a distant thought. Too bad he didnt work out. I wish him well. He was all class. He couldnt play at all but he was all class.

Posted by: phinfanjake ()
Date: May 07, 2009 03:12AM

either way it was another waste of second round pick

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 07, 2009 06:37AM

Quote:

"either way it was another waste of second round pick"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Your most likely very true on this. But look at it from a different angle, almost a glass-half-full approach.

If Beck plays with alot of promise and enough to show the brass he is worth sticking around, then I doubt we pick Henne who definately is our future.

I dont know, Im trying to atleast get something out of this fiascoe. confused smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 07, 2009 06:49AM

Well, if Ginn turns out to be the player I think he can be and Brady Quinn is a bust, then Beck was just the consolation prize and we can feel lucky we didn't draft Quinn and Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarret.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 07, 2009 07:28AM

At least we didn't draft him in the top 5. There have been too many top-5 QB busts, and, for the most part, the teams that drafted those players took a long time to recover (if they ever did).

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: May 11, 2009 01:29AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 11, 2009 06:43AM

Well, you knew he would go somewhere else and resurrect his career. It seems like all Dolphin cast-offs do that. Especially if they go to the Patsies.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: May 11, 2009 06:48AM

I have been a supporter of Beck and think he got thrown into perhaps the worst rookie QB position/mess in the past 10+ years. However, I will say that, while he did demonstrate a lot of passing ability - especially in TC/preseason when games don't count, he did not demonstrate the intangibles of a QB who has potential to be great. This report doesn't surprise me at all. It also won't surprise me if he's a lot better for them (if they should need him to play in regular season action for any reason) than he was for us. I don't think he'll end up being great, but the situation he was in with us was impossible.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 03:59AM

Cameron drafted him. Why not give the kid a secnd try.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 16, 2009 06:55AM

The more I think about this the more I am surprised just how much the FO wanted White.

They drafted him a bit early IMHO, but in retro he wouldn't have lasted. I think the time to have gotten value for him was end of last season.

I wouldn't have seen it as much of a hand tip, to release a 3rd stringer for a draft pick back then. Thier not doing so only further supports their interest in getting a mobile qb ala white ... for both wildcat and other value.

Like they say in accounting he was sunk cost, hard to swallow but too late to recover

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.