HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Turner, Hartline having good camp
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Turner, Hartline having good camp
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: May 03, 2009 02:19AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turner, Hartline having good camp
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:22AM

I agree regarding Hartline. I was hoping we'd pick up Mckillop. Hopefully the trifecta knew what they were doing.

Posted by: Carolina Phin ()
Date: May 03, 2009 07:11AM

Jasper Brinkley would have been a sweet pick. He was supposed to be a 1st or 2nd rounder but he got hurt and had to get a medical redshirt and that is probably why he went so late but we could have had the best linebacker, and the trio likes big players and hes fast and a monster or a linebacker at 6' 2" 260

Date: May 03, 2009 08:03AM

well because the tri wanted to adress two positions in this draft, wr and cb, which they have the more wr's the better, it makes ALL of em work harder for a starting spot,and gives us enough cheap talent, and no one is sure how camarillo will come back, briliant move to pick him up. obviously the tri no somthing we dont, and thats why they didnt go after a valid LB or DT. lets see how the summer pans out before you start nocking picks.

Date: May 03, 2009 11:14AM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:08PM

I think the Hartline pick was made considering Camarillo's status. One never knows just how well a player will recover from a injury like his. In addition, Hartline has a reputation as a quality special teamer. That adds to his position flexibility you often hear Coach Sparano talk about. He has the size and make-up they look for and could end up surprising us by stealing somebody's position. I know one thing. The all the wide receivers will be working their tails off to get better. The same can be said for the corners.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: May 03, 2009 08:16PM

A scenario such as this makes me question why teams and coaches so heavily rely on the "best player available" strategy. I've always been in favor of coaches/general managers who develop a plan prior to the draft and then execute that specific plan on draft day, as opposed to simply ranking every player in the draft and selecting the highest rated player each time, regardless of position.

I don't like the Pat White pick, but I prefer the front office go get players, such as White, that they plan to use in specific ways, much more than I like seeing them snag TWO receivers, one of which most likely will not even make the team.

Date: May 04, 2009 01:39AM

Yep, but according to Ireland, we line up prospects from different positions according to value, so you'd think you'd end up with a draft with varied picks, instead of cb/cb, wr/wr. Curious.

btw what is Detroit doing in practice? They've got 3 draft picks hurt already, including Pettigrew. I'm glad we have a good conditioning program here, to avoid as many injuries as possible early on. If they're not in camp, they can't learn.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 04, 2009 04:36AM

Im glad turner is having a good camp. I think he has a successfull pre season and makes this team easy......A faster oronde gadsgen.

Ginn
Camarillo ( might start the season on the PUP )
Bess
London
Turner ( hopefully he can go up the chart as the season progresses )

Wilford is a gonner. Get rid of this guy already.

Date: May 04, 2009 04:40AM

I was thinking maybe turner can be turned into a TE if he can learn how to block. He definetely has the size 6'5. He can put on some weight and become a TE.

We are fine at the TE position. Martin and fasano will be even better this year with a year experience with pennington..Just a thought.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 04, 2009 04:54AM

It was nice to see where Hartline burned Vontae Davis for a long TD. I guess he isn't that slow.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 04, 2009 05:05AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was thinking maybe turner can be turned into a
> TE if he can learn how to block. He definetely has
> the size 6'5. He can put on some weight and become
> a TE.

It's like Deja Vu! I said that a couple times last week and no one responded. That was my thinking as well. If we end up with too many weapons at WR, moving one to TE would be great as it keeps them all on the field.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: May 04, 2009 05:27AM

Gotta be willing and able to block to be a TE. Also, some guys can carry the extra weight and still run - others can't. Wilford is a big guy with good hands, but if he put on 30 pounds, he would be so slow you could time him in the 40 with a sundial.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 04, 2009 08:36AM

Absolutely right!

If you know you have 3 years to address 6 key areas why take a chance on drafting all 6 each year hoping you got it right?

Year 1 they drafted OL & DL and QB - they got it right as far as the OL, DL.

Year 2 they drafted a bunch of secondary, WR's and QB. If they find what they want at those spots..then it is a huge success even if we missed out on a guy who could play a different position.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: May 04, 2009 09:38AM

I like the bpa strategy. In almost every case, I would rather take a very good player at a position of strength than take a questionable player at a position of need. Taking the bpa is the best long-term plan. That said, I do like the way Ireland described his pre-draft player ratings - horizontal ratings, as opposed to vertical. This allows for several players to have essentially the same rating, in which case you take the guy who most fits your needs. However, I don't believe he would take a guy rated lower to fill a need. The rating would have to be the same or better.

BPA builds team value, which allows you to deal with the inevitable facts of the NFL - free agency and injuries. It also better positions you for trades.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: May 06, 2009 05:37AM

If both turner and hartline can be as good as lets say CAMARILLO, then we will have a more improved offense.

Pennington will have an even better year than last.

3900 Yards passing

28 TDs

The offensive line will jell better than last year since we are going to have injured starters coming back from injuries. RG, LG New Center which is supposed to be an upgrade from satelle. Hopefully he stays healthy, thats the knock on him.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 09, 2009 06:06AM

Noetic Wrote: I don't like the Pat White pick, but I prefer the front office go get players, such as White, that they plan to use in specific ways, much more than I like seeing them snag TWO receivers, one of which most likely will not even make the team.

Though end to agree. I'm thinking the FO likes the receivers we have more than they are letting on, and are just putting emphasis on competition like they did at de last year. Add to that a strong focus on secondary with early picks.

I would like to see us get a breakout dominant #1 wr, but I would not be surprised to see a lot more production this year.

Date: May 09, 2009 06:30AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gotta be willing and able to block to be a TE.
> Also, some guys can carry the extra weight and
> still run - others can't. Wilford is a big guy
> with good hands, but if he put on 30 pounds, he
> would be so slow you could time him in the 40 with
> a sundial.

Willford is slow as it is, if he adds 30 pounds he would run more like a turtle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.