HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Great Season and a lot to build on
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Great Season and a lot to build on
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: January 08, 2017 01:17PM

All in all it was asking a lot for this team to walk into a healthy Pittsburgh Steelers team on the road missing half their starting defense and expect to pull off the unexpected. I thought is was possible, but we needed to have a perfect game.

Next season we are in great shape:

Coach and offensive coordinator: check in Gase
GM and personel: check in Grier and Tannenbaum
QB and backup: check in Tannehill and Moore
WR: check in Parker, Landry. We must sign Stills who was a pleasant surprise. Caroo has another year to develop. I would also look to lock up Landry for 5 years. He is truly special!
RB: Ajayi is special, and Williams is a tough. Drake is going to be a great player too. We have a lot of depth here.
OLine: Tunsil, James are young and solid. We have good veteran depth in Bushrod, Udrik, and Steen. Albert should be fine for one or two more years. Pouncey should be cut, or retire, as he is too fragile to play this game. We need to draft a center, and another guard to add more depth to this line.
TE: we need to dump Cameron and keep Sims.

Defense:

Dline: Mitchell, Phillips, Suh, wake are all signed. It would be wise to re-sign branch. We need help here. Suh may be more effective if he gets a breather now and then....we need help here! Wake is aging...
Mario Williams needs to be cut.
Linebackers: we have nothing here. Aside from kilo Alonso who should be moved to the outside, and Neville Hewitt, who has played well... We have nothing. Kota misi needs to go, along with every other linebacker. We need fresh bodies here. Melanie Jenkins is a backup at best.

Defensive back: this is a pleasant surprise as I would say that we are deep here. Lippet and Howard have emerged and are going to be great! McCain is decent as a nickel. And all are young! Maxwell is good and signed for a decent number. Pitts is young and I think all, in all we have depth here. We are in great shape.

Safety: Qudus and Jones Have to both be resigned! That is a MUST! Thomas is a great backup. Aikens isn't a great backup.

Rambo SUCKS and has to go. I could see us drafting a safety.

Special teams: Frank's and Darr are fine. Grant has to go. Too many fumble issues.

All in all: we need to cut, Mario Williams ,Jordan Cameron, Kota misi and Mike Pouncy: that will save us 15-18 million in salary cap. Gives us tons of $$$ to sign help at least line etc...

Draft needs: center and guard. Linebacker, Dline and safety.

Positions of depth: cornerback, wide receiver and quarterback.

I think we are in great position to really take a step forward in power ranking for next season!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 01:18PM by steviec13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Season and a lot to build on
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 08, 2017 01:29PM

Tip of the hat to you for your optimism, Stevie.

However, a cynic would say that we just moved ourselves out of a better draft position.

But the greater cynic would reply to the first cynic, "What does it matter...we'd only screw up the draft choices anyway."

Posted by: angryseasphins ()
Date: January 08, 2017 02:38PM

Cynic in me says ajija can't make any thing happen til he gets a good holiday the line. As much as I like him I get the feeling we are over reacting him. Admittedly not a football xand os guy but love to hear someone else take on this

Date: January 08, 2017 03:04PM

Chyren:

I think we have proved that we are one of the top 12 teams in the league from our performances this season.
Now is the tough part....cracking into the top 5... This is the first year in many that I can safely say we are in a position to grow as a team. We have a young quarterback along with a proven backup. No need to change anything here.... We have a solid young nucleus of a team...we have a driven coach who I can safely say is intelligent. We have several young players who are young and special: (Landry, Parker, Howard, Philips, Tunsil, Caroo, Qudus, Lippett, Tannehill, Ajayi, Alonso, Maxwell, Sims, Drake, Williams, Hewitt, Mcain, Pitts, Thomas, Steen, aikens, gray, Mitchell) Along with a bunch of seasoned veterans ( wake, Urbik, Pouncy, Bushrod (needs to be signed), Albert, Suh, jones(needs to be signed). Going into this season we had so many holes it is amazing that we accomplished so much!
I'd rather have the experience of playing in the playoffs and drafting at number 22, instead of being out and drafting at number 12 or 15.... Our goal is to win a SuperBowl. Playoff experience for a young team is important. Before this season, this schedule was supposed to be a tough one... We took care of business. I'm looking forward to next season...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 03:06PM by steviec13.

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: January 08, 2017 03:36PM

Date: January 08, 2017 04:50PM

AFCBeast:

Agree I was too harsh on Grant. He tries, and has speed. He needs to work on holding onto the ball. I've never seen I guy fumble as often, aside from Moore.

Regarding the UFA's in order:

I made a mistake: Reshad Jones is signed through 2017.

1) Stills
2) Bushrod
3) Sims
4) Branch
5) Thomas
6) Paysnger
7) Denney
8) not sure about Jenkins

I would sign the guys above.

You can add Jordan to your list of discards.

Looking forward to an exciting off season.

Date: January 08, 2017 05:34PM

Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
M. Moore 29 36 289 1
B. Roethlisberger 13 18 197 2

The nfl.com does not have the play by play chart up but I only remember one fumble by Moore.

Date: January 08, 2017 06:52PM

Chyren:

Moore had a good game, minus the 3 very costly turnovers.(1 interception and 2 costly fumbles both inside Steelers territory)

Moore was good, but turnovers will kill us every time.

Stevie

Date: January 08, 2017 07:22PM

Okay, now its up and I see an earlier fumble that came on a sack.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 08, 2017 11:19PM

Date: January 09, 2017 01:33PM

We need to be able to stop the RUN!!

We need 2 linebackers and a big FAT d tackle to clog up the middle.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: January 09, 2017 05:16PM

I think if Miami had a couple OLB and healthy Kiko Alonso and secondary, the run defense would be much better. Before the injuries started to pill up Miami was doing a decent job at the beginning of the 6 game winning street at plugging up the run. A couple stud LB would transform this defense into a monster.

My ideal would be a free agent LB and use early picks to draft a DE & LB. The rest of the picks would be the best available player at C, G, TE, S.

Date: January 09, 2017 05:35PM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Posted by: ChyrenB
> a cynic would say that we just moved ourselves out
> of a better draft position
>
> When a team moves up to draft a pos like Dion
> Jordan at #3 overall, a cynic would also say that
> this team doesn't know how to draft worth a shit
> to begin with.

LOL. You're right. I only addressed the first half of the equation which is that when you screw up in the playoffs then you would have done better not to make them at all and therefore get a better draft choice. Of course, as you point out, we'd screw that up too.

>
> Chy, I think having an eye for talent is much more
> important than the draft order itself. Look at NE
> for example - They've been drafting near/at the
> very bottom of the draft order for over a decade
> and still manage to win the division year after
> year with some SB's thrown in. They can probably
> spot a future pro-bowler out of a group of kids
> who play pop warner.

Correct.!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 10, 2017 03:23AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Posted by: ChyrenB
> a cynic would say that we just moved ourselves out
> of a better draft position
>
> When a team moves up to draft a pos like Dion
> Jordan at #3 overall, a cynic would also say that
> this team doesn't know how to draft worth a shit
> to begin with.
>
> Chy, I think having an eye for talent is much more
> important than the draft order itself. Look at NE
> for example - They've been drafting near/at the
> very bottom of the draft order for over a decade
> and still manage to win the division year after
> year with some SB's thrown in. They can probably
> spot a future pro-bowler out of a group of kids
> who play pop warner.

POST OF THE YEAR SO FAR grinning smiley

The draft order doesn't mean so much, if we aren't good at drafting.

This is why I'm NEVER on the 'tank the season' bandwagon. EVER.

Date: January 10, 2017 10:49AM

As long as there is a chance to either get into the playoffs, like this year, or once there, I root for us to go all the way.

However, if we are sitting at 4 and 10 and out of the playoffs, although I still root for the team, I am sorrowful afterwards if we win and not that upset if we lose.

If you can't mathematically go to the playoffs, then you should want the best draft position possible.

It's just the way it is.

And I agree that we screw up the draft each year. Definitely. But we screw up the games too.....but we still want to win them before they start.

Date: January 10, 2017 11:57AM

Last year's draft had the best 1st pick since Dan Marino.

Hope the draft luck continues.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.