Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Wildcat - lasting innovation or just a 'wrinkle'?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Wildcat - lasting innovation or just a 'wrinkle'?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 28, 2009 05:12AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wildcat - lasting innovation or just a 'wrinkle'?
Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: April 28, 2009 05:48AM

While we did great with the WildCat in the first Pats game, we only performed so-so for the rest of the year. I think for it to be a long term alternative and flourish it requires the QB to be a true threat both passing and running (e.g., Pat White). There are limited pro players who fit that description.

I think the biggest obstacle to revolutionizing the game with the WildCat is that it appears to be so dependent upon specific personnel, and the key guy (Ronnie last year, maybe Pat White this year) is expected to get hit every play. Other offenses are not nearly as susceptible to disaster if a key person gets injured (e.g., Brady gets hurt, Pats didn't collapse).

Also, running a top notch WildCat may require activating players who would not normally be active (Pat White will probably not be considered the 2nd string QB this year, and if not for the WildCat would not be active most/any games). This takes up valuable active roster spots, which results in increased risk compared to standard offenses. For the WildCat to revolutionize the NFL, I think it has to be successful with personnel who are able to fill roles other than just the WildCat (special teams, backup QB, fourth wideout, etc.). So again, we're back to limited personnel who can fit these criteria at the pro level.

Other than Tebow, or perhaps Michael Vick, who is projected as a great fit for a WildCat QB?

Wildcat =3-4 Defense Pat White = Lawrence Taylor
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:34PM

Bill Parcells is an innovator. Lawrence Taylor was HIS idea, and it changed the League and brought the 3-4 D.

The West Coast Offense was a change brought by Bill Walsh ( and Air Coryell to some extent).

Both systems make use of players with particular assets that make them somewhat unsuitable for their respective positions in a traditional system.

The Wildcat is the introductory phase of the 'Spread Offense' at the NFL level. The Wildcat keeps the Defense guessing, and forces them to guard against stuff they normally don't have to, which prevents them from pinning their ears back and full out blitzing. This buys the Offense enough time to develop options.

The problem is that most teams aren't going to risk running the ball with a 6'4" pocket passer, and we have seen, most RB's can't pass consistently enough.

Kordell Stewart almost ushered it in, but he wasn't paired with an OC who was forward thinking.

Randal El was converted to WR and his passing skill was a 'gimmick'

Pat White would end up the exact same way, had it not been for David Lee, and the Miami Dolphins successfully implementing the Wildcat.

This is the start of something new. Teams who have a Peyton Manning will continue to do that...but if they don't have a pure Pocket Passer teams will do more than just develop a power run game to ease the pressure on the QB.....now teams will draft their own Wildback and spread D's out.

It is only a matter of time. The spread offence is very exciting for a fan to watch.

It isn't a fad or gimmick. It might not be 40 snaps a game, but I think it will eventually become 10-15 rather than 5.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:33PM

You have a point that Parcells went with the 3-4 because nobody was doing it. I imagine he likes the idea of getting ahead of the curve with the wildcat when no one's into it yet. Good point.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:55PM

I just hope we don't show anything about the 2009 version of our wildcat in the preseason. Let's save it for when the games count.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:08PM

My guess? I think we see Pat White run traditional passing sets, and perhaps a handful of Wildcat plays like Ronnie ran, but, I bet they limit him to running the ball or handing it off...no passing out of the Wildcat in pre-season.

There is also the benefit of Henne working his butt off to keep White on the bench.

Date: April 28, 2009 07:12PM

alot of people dont understand the wildcat utilizes 11/11 off.deff, where a conventional set up uses a 10/11 off,def. where defense has the favor, this is why the wildcat is so effictive, pat white is better at making plays than alot of our offensive players. him and brown, and williams and ginn, bess OUR playmakers, touching the ball alot more makes for more plays. when we start passing alot in it, teams are going to get crushed, and pat white has the arm to get it to a FAST ginn down the sidline, and when that happens, NO MORE 8 in the box, and its game over you cant do nothin to stop it, not with 3 running backs and 3 wr's you cant stop it do the math 2 rb's who double up as QB,and wr,a qb who doubles up as rb, and a wr, then 3 wr, who double up at RB. i mean its just brutal with the right guys, which is why we are going to own this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 07:16PM by dolphinsnumberonestunner.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 29, 2009 01:55AM

EVERY offensive play on every team is designed to result in a touchdown. But defenses counter, and clog up things, and guys are on the ground, etc...and that's just the way it goes. But definitely to make the wildcat bite we need to be throwing it, and more dynamic players in there, to stop the 8 in the box. Hopefully White will bring that. Look at the end of last year, we HAD the 11/11 matchup you talked about, and the wildcat didn't work. We had to go back to our base offense.

I'm looking at the senior bowl Utube clip Omar put up on his blog and Pat White looks dynamic. But I see a lot of running. Don't know if he can do that in the nfl without getting his head busted up. Definitely this will be exciting to watch.

We'll see.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 29, 2009 02:50AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EVERY offensive play on every team is designed to
> result in a touchdown.

I've never seen a QB sneak on the 50 yard line result in a TD. I've never seen a quick out and fall out-of-bounds play to preserve the clock result in a TD. Except for Marino/Shula, I've never seen a team attempt a TD or First Down on a spike play. I'd say:

Almost every offensive play on every team is designed to EITHER result in a FIRST DOWN or a touchdown. The spike is the exception. In most cases teams are only looking to stop the clock, not get a TD or a 1st down.

Re: Wildcat =3-4 Defense Pat White = Lawrence Taylor
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 29, 2009 04:57AM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 06:11AM

alot of people dont understand the wildcat utilizes 11/11 off.deff, where a conventional set up uses a 10/11 off,def. ------------>

Wow you said it #1. This is exactly right. The displacment of Jake creates an even bigger mis-match the any defensive scheme.

The wildcat TAILED OFF last season because the defense was selling out and bringing everyone- they had ZERO respect for any type of PASS. They knew RB was most likely going to run the ball.

This season we will see , WE NEED A NICKNAME FOR PAT WHITE, come into the offense and cause problems for the defense. I could see him come in and not even run the WILDCAT- run a convention play and really have the defense guessing.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 29, 2009 06:12AM

I think it is going to stick.

The changes over recent years to the many zone blitzes needs and offensive counter ... wildcat offers the balance.

Wildcat has new life in the NFL with the age of a mobile QB, WR, RB combos that even out the need to cover the QB beyond the initial handoff.

We have a leg up in that we have multiple threat personnel to execute and confuse opponents.

At minimum, teams will have to devote a lot of practice time to defending it, and still end up with the need to cover receivers 1 on one. Foir that reason I see it as lasting for teams that can execute it.

Date: April 29, 2009 11:00AM

and when they are spending time to cover it, less time to cover other plays, and when we start passing in it lol can you guys FINALY fathom how bad ass we are going to be this year, i did last year when fantasizing about pat white under center instead of brown.!!!! and the nickname is wildcat Pat. it sounds good. i came up with it but im sure so has others?

"You were right numberone...you were right. The PATS and the 'BOYS had the same thoughts too. numberonedumbanddumber- you are a genius"Wow, another sterling prediction by the poster child for the dangers of illiteracy.So, let me get this straight. Essentially, the Dolphins traded Jason Taylor for Jason Taylor and Pat White and saved 7 million dollars. Now, I am not the greatest talent evaluator, but that sounds like a good deal to me."

Date: April 29, 2009 11:37AM

Probably the best answer to the thread question is going to be centered around which team can execute the wildcat beyond the element of surprise.

1. Think back to randel El when he was with the Steelers. Randel El was the key to making an otherwise pound it out vanilla Steelers offense unpredictable.

- When they passed or let him run the advantage was with Randel El
- When they didn't the hard nosed running game was strong on its own.

2. The Fins have every bit the advantage if they can shore up a strong running attack, and throw several viable play options into the wildcat.

3. What will make it even more effective will be if the team can run its base offense form a similar look effectively ... ie if pat white can execute a run or pass from the QB position and the team can move the ball woith it.

Add to that the unpredictable wrinkles that can come off of it when wilcat options are used.

Like most of football its alll about taking advantage of the match ups.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: April 29, 2009 02:46PM

I've been away and haven't had much time to follow the conversation here, but isn't it obvious with the selection of Pat White?

The Wildcat is here to stay.

Why else would they have used a 2nd Rounder on White with Pennington and Henne already on the roster and so many other needs?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 29, 2009 06:02PM

The other positive is the end around with White playing WR. He can take the hand-off and still be a threat to pass or run.

Just think that Ginn won't be able to be double covered with White in the Wildcat. Single coverage on every receiver....they install a nickle or dime and then we hit them with a run....they have the base defense in and we create a mismatch with Ginn or another WR on a LB'er and...Touchdown.

So many options...

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:02PM

White is more like a Michael Vick that can pass. Maybe like a Seneca Wallace with better speed and moves, Mayock seems to have changed to support him.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:09PM

yeah...Mayock said he would beat Henne out and be the starter in two years.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: May 01, 2009 06:53AM

> yeah...Mayock said he would beat Henne out and be the starter in two years.

I'll have to see that, but it could happen if he can run both the wildcat and move the ball well from a traditional set.

He'll get the chance, and the team would have a big advantage if they have to respect the traditional set and wildcat both when he is in the game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.