HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          To the aspiring Nostradamus.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
To the aspiring Nostradamus.
Posted by: KMar10 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 09:11PM

It is one of the more enjoyable aspects of a NFL sports team forum to opine on what moves your favorite franchise may make. We all postulate about the possible scenarios involving our team – particularly during the months and weeks leading up to and including the draft. Few of us (none I suspect) actually work directly for or with the Miami Dolphins franchise – certainly none of us work in any capacity with Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, or Tony Sparano in which to glean inside knowledge. Because of this fact our views on future actions this franchise will make are but mere speculation. When we read the myriad presuppositions offered here, we should do so with the axiomatic “grain of salt”.

What I find vexing is the seeming need for certain individuals to gravitate toward self-aggrandizement. It is hardly a prophetic feat to cast out fifty-plus predictions involving Miami’s draft picks and verily hit on one. This is similar to “cold reading” and in reality it reflects a very poor accuracy rate.

I went to the Phins.com Phorums and clicked on the poster(s) of my choice and “show all posts” to evaluate the voracity of his/her prediction skills. After perusing through multitudes of barely coherent posts and noting the multifarious divinations spewed forth, it is my conclusion that the evidence overwhelmingly shows a woeful record of accurately “predicting” much of anything. For the sake of brevity I will not re-post these comments here – I leave that to those inclined to check the facts on their own. These individuals throw out a lot of information until something sticks. The misses are forgotten and the hits are focused on and exaggerated. It is neither impressive nor informative to beat one’s chest when making a correct statement after quickly abandoning or avoiding the multitudinous other unproductive ones.

When dishing out the humble pie, don’t forget to save yourself a slice (or fifty).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To the aspiring Nostradamus.
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:40AM

I see you found my thesarus. I have been looking for it. You can lend it to Stunner so he knows you were talking about him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:43AM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see you found my thesarus. I have been looking
> for it. You can lend it to Stunner so he knows
> you were talking about him.

Either that or he's been listening to a lot of Bill O'Reilly.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:21AM

Nicely penned oratory.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:54AM

I would attribute that grandiloquent exposition to Reader's Digest. Apparently, it does pay to enrich your word power.

Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:58AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 28, 2009 10:03AM

Well said!!! I will subscribe to your blog? lol

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 28, 2009 11:19AM

Date: April 28, 2009 11:33AM

Date: April 28, 2009 11:44AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> With all you said, the question for you to answer
> is
>
> What other purpose would a website devoted to a
> bunch of football fans serve except to have them
> engage in speculation, right or wrong, and/or
> disagreements and agreements, right or wrong,
> pertaining to the draft, games, and everything
> related to the subject, which just happens to
> bethat football team ?

Your query leads me to believe you have misunderstood the intent of the post. If you reread the text, you should see that our views on the purpose of this forum are in harmony.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 28, 2009 12:03PM

Has anyone ever hit you with a dictionary?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 28, 2009 12:06PM

eesti Wrote:
> Has anyone ever hit you with a dictionary?

That is hysterical.

This has become a very funny thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 12:15PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: April 28, 2009 12:14PM

KMar10 Wrote:
> Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would attribute that grandiloquent exposition
> to
> > Reader's Digest. Apparently, it does pay to
> > enrich your word power.
>
> That was the intent of the post, yes.

Yes, I knew that was your intent, and you succeeded in making your point. Well done.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: April 28, 2009 12:38PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:40PM

Grey Poupon and All Fruit. Who does this guy think he is? Charles Winchester? Frazier Crane? William F. Buckley? He seems to be marketing himself as the antithesis of Stunner.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:25PM

1. There's a huge middle ground between speaking in ridiculous, incoherent run-on sentences and writing an overly wordy, arrogant, synonym-laden oratory.

2. It's a Miami Dolphins discussion board. The platform sort of lends itself to informal discussion, though we all appreciate your carefully crafted, Continental Congress-style, formal declaration of 'football prediction outrage' surely written by candlelight with a featherpen before being transcribed to this Phins.com message board.

3. This whole silly issue of "predictions" and predictive accuracy that has gotten you all in a tizzy isn't really taken that seriously by most, and is probably regarded as a "throw everything at the wall and hope that something sticks" kind of thing by all. You've offered no new insight on this phenomenon.

Also, guessing something correctly doesn't win you anything. It's not like anything is at stake. We all know this. That's probably why no one cares too much whether someone gets something right or wrong. Except for maybe the 3-4 posters who do most of the predicting and pat themselves on the back when right, no one is building temples in their honor for predicting we finish 11-5 or sacrificing cattle in honor of he who foresaw the drafting of Pat White. "I guess you were right" is usually the most that comes of any of this.

4. Taking all of this into account, maybe you should save your passion and eloquence for a more important issue like global warming or Nuclear disarmament. You know...? Whatever floats your boat

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:26PM

Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due. None of my draft scenarios fit what the dolphins did, or who they passed up. And I sure as hell didn't predict Pat White. Vonte and Sean were not hard, although I'm surprised Sean was there in the 3rd.

Never in my wildest imagination would I expect what happened. If anyone did predict it, kudos to them.

By the way I heard Bo interview JD Folsom, the linebacker from the 7th round. Man, what a f*ckng moron this guy is, either that or he was stoned through the whole interview. If you ask me, I think he got kicked in the head when he was young. It was like an SNL skit. Bo asked him what he brings to the team and can he talk about himself a little, kind of give us a self-scouting report. The guy couldn't come up with anything, he said the question was hard. So then Bo started asking him about his last trip, or his wife's job, just so that he could answer stuff. LOL.

Date: April 28, 2009 06:04PM

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: April 29, 2009 02:50PM

Dude, we know that there are some obnoxious, self-promoting posters here.

Most of us just ignore them.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 29, 2009 03:09PM

KMar10 Wrote:

The
> intent was to allude to a couple of posters who
> continuously call attention to their predicting
> prowess - without directly calling them out.
> These same individuals call out others for their
> predictions and typically speak only in absolutes.
> When wrong they move on to another guess until
> something works.

Yo i feel you man, these cats that give a 100 predictions and finally hit one and then try to bury the 99 they got wrong get on my nerves as well. Yo man stop speaking out the side of your mouth, I say you should start naming names and put those guys on front street...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.