HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What grade would you give us?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What grade would you give us?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:02PM

Poll
89 votes were received.
Voting ends at 02/08/2283 02:02PM.
All visitors can vote.
Your grade?

This grade is in your hands. You be the judge.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What grade would you give us?
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:28PM

I rather not be the one to put out the what if draft card. But I have to give a B. The 2 AWESOME CBs and PAT WHITE on day 1 was A, but the guys we passed on day 2 kinda left a bad taste. I'm psyched about the potential FAs.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:33PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:35PM

the only pick I am happy with and made sense for where he was picked is smith at 2b. everyone else was taken too early and will not compete for a staritng position (except vonte who has other issues). with our 3d and 4th picks we took 2 wrs who at best will be 3d and 4th options (I don't think anyone is expecting either to be a 1 or 2 at any point) on a team that has a bunch of those already. Vonte's talent didn't match his production and that has never worked out for this team (jackie shipp, jason allen, sammie smith) and he is an underacheciver. Pat White is a cool idea but will never be a starter and we have much bigger needs and players were there at the time to fill them. We needed OL (esp interior) depth and a NT and got nothing there. Maybe I am just being over critical but I had much higher hopes for this draft and the players were there for the taking. We have now used a #2 at the QB position for something like 5 straight years (feeley, culpepper, beck, henne, and now white). thats just nuts!

BTW I gave us a C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 03:35PM by berkeley223.

Posted by: rex8 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 04:59PM

I am not very happy with this weekend. It really did not seem like a BP type of draft. I think they were letting Ireland run the show and it does not look good. We passed up way to much talent and had to reach for most of our picks. I hope it is not as bad as it feels, but i think we took a major step back this weekend.

Posted by: dabeastdabone ()
Date: April 26, 2009 05:43PM

I agree with Berkley pretty much word for word. I'll go C and hope there was some purpose in this draft and not just a bunch wishful thinking on the potential of these fellas.

I will note this however, every draft sense I have been following on message boards leaves the fans giddy with excitement...;look how that has worked out for us (Except the Ted Ginn pick)? Maybe this is a good sign.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: April 26, 2009 05:53PM

I feel very good about the draft. I gave it a "B", but I think this draft will be judged in the future as being an "A".

This weekend we gave our offense some excitement and the defense got a shot in the arm as well.

JT to return?

In Tuna I trust. The coaches will be creative. If Wake is a force, I think AFC championship game at least this year.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 05:59PM

if wanny had made these picks everyone would be calling for his head. BP has earned the benefit of the doubt, however, I do still have that doubt...

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 26, 2009 06:32PM

Davis....great value at 25, fills biggest need.

Pat White...Could be interesting. Teams will now spend more time game planning for us just because of this pick.

Sean Smith....Great value, great potential. We now have a huge defensive backfield with Davis and everyone else. Probably have our starting secondary in place for years to come.

Patrick Turner....Not sure about this pick. The fact that they picked him this high intrigues me. 6'5 223...4.58 40

Brian Hartline....Not the Buckeye I was anticipating. Surprise pick this high. 6'2 195 4.58 40. Makes Turner look more impressive but averaged 22.4 yards per reception! I am getting the feeling that SIP are great personnel people for every position except WR.

John Nalbone...Who? Supposed to be a complete TE...runs a 4.75 40. We'll have to see how does in preseason.

Chris Clemons....a backup safety/ST guy with good intangibles...4.4 speed.

Andrew Gardner....should compete for backup tackle spot. Have to trust this was a Sporano pick and has potential.

JD Folsom...sounds like a bad Burt Reynolds movie from the 70's. Strictly a Special teams player...How he was taken ahead of Antonio Appleby and a few others is beyond me.

That is 3 players who will definitely make the team ( 1st 3) and 4 who will need a small miracle to beat out current players...leaving Turner with the best chance. of the bottom 5.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 26, 2009 07:10PM

The TE pick in Round 5 confused me. With Martin and Fasano (even Haynos) why draft a TE! Clemons was a steal where we got him. He produced in college. Screw the combine stuff he makes plays at a big school. Those kids translate to players on the next level. I think Hartline is the next Steve Tasker. Nice special teams player but thats all. Turner.....who knows. The Smith pick in Rd 2 confuses me. He's big but he is clearly a "soft" player. "Soft" players fizzle out quick in the NFL.

OK draft. Got a lock-down CB. Got a gimmick/weapon for offense. Think we stole Clemons. Those are the sure things in my book

I'd give us a D
Posted by: EGDolfan ()
Date: April 26, 2009 07:59PM

I gave this draft a grade of D...below average...because only one player we drafted had value at the position we picked him: Chris Clemons in the fifth round (Vontae Davis was close but not quite). We reached on every player we drafted. Not only that, every single player we drafted have issues that could lead to the "bust" label. There were safer, better respected players at the same positions that seem to fit the same needs of players we took. We seemed to draft for need, not talent, and the players that we drafted seemed to be the pets of the Trifecta.

There were two other teams that did the same thing we did: the Raiders and the Patriots. We can only hope that we are following the mold of the Patriots and not the other...

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 26, 2009 08:54PM

I think a D or F grade is unfair this year for any team (except the Raiders). this was a god awful draft. Only about 40 quality players.

So hit a home-run on your 1st round pick (I think we did). Do something in Rd 2 that makes sense (Pat White does). Every pick after that......just a roll of the dice this year. It really is. This draft sucked. No players outside the Top 40 or so.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 27, 2009 01:54AM

How well did we address our needs?

Secondary - A (2, maybe 3 players)
ILB - No grade
OLB - No grade
NT - No grade
WR - C (possibly 2 players)
TE - C
O Line - D
QB - good question, Pat White is listed as a QB - I have no idea how to grade him

Overall? I think we did great in the secondary; and not so great in some other areas. Not addressing LB and NT is very surprising to me. 10 years from now, our grade for this draft will be linked to the success Pat White has in the NFL.

Re: I'd give us a D
Date: April 27, 2009 04:59AM

EGDolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gave this draft a grade of D...below
> average...because only one player we drafted had
> value at the position we picked him: Chris
> Clemons in the fifth round (Vontae Davis was close
> but not quite). We reached on every player we
> drafted.

That is simply not true. Davis was a top 15 talent that we got at 25.

Sean Smith had a low first/high second round grade and we got him AND Chris Clemons for the price of passing on 5 players we probably didn't want anyway....with the 29th pick in the second round!

We did reach a bit on White but we also kept him out of the hands of NE which makes up for it. Believe me, I wanted Connor Barwin but if it was their decision to pass on him then I have to repect that. Other than him, there was no one else available that I would have wanted.

> Not only that, every single player we
> drafted have issues that could lead to the "bust"
> label.

Every player in the draft has the potential to be a bust. Even the safest player in the draft....Aaron Curry.

Don't you think the FO did their due diligence? Have they ever given you reason to think they wouldn't? They were comfortable enough with what they found on Davis to take him at 25.

We took him instead of Clay Mathews, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga, Everette Brown and Darius Butler.

And these players didn't have questions? Well, they all did. You name one player that was available at 25 and I will tell you why teams passed on them. Most of these players dropped for a reason.

There were safer, better respected players
> at the same positions that seem to fit the same
> needs of players we took.

Base on who's assessment? Yours? Mel Kiper's? Have a little faith. The regime had one hell of a draft last year. No one knows where these "better respected" players were on Miami's draft board. You mean to tell me that they have not earned enough of your respect to give them the benefit of the doubt?

> We seemed to draft for
> need, not talent, and the players that we drafted
> seemed to be the pets of the Trifecta.

In Davis and Smith, we got great value and also filled our biggest need. How can you complain about that? Pets of the trifecta? I don't even know what that means. Pets suggesting that they like them? Whats wrong with that? Isn't that what you want? They were players that they thought met their criteria.

> There were two other teams that did the same thing
> we did: the Raiders and the Patriots. We can only
> hope that we are following the mold of the
> Patriots and not the other...

How is that? We did what the Raiders did? I don't think so. We didn't draft every one of our players based on the 40 yard dash. The Pats had a pretty good draft but they also had more ammo and picked before us in every round..sometimes twice....

Following in their footsteps? Who do you think Belichick learned from?

Our top 3 players made this draft for Miami. We didn't get the sexy WR pick. We didn't get the over hyped MLB. Ireland said he refused to reach and some players just didn't fall to us.

There were many players we passed on that left me scratching my head because of name recognition but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to have done more research and film study than the phins scouting department.

Like I said before....as many as 4 or 5 of these draft picks may not even break the lineup but the top three made us a better team in the future and more importantly...THIS YEAR....and odds are that one or two of those last 6 picks will surprise all of us just like Kendall Lanford and Donald Thomas did last year. Not to mention Chad Henne.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:22AM

Quote:

" I think they were letting Ireland run the show"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dont think that for a second. You honestly think Bill isnt making the calls!? YOUR CRAZY.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 27, 2009 05:27AM

I think it is like they said...if there isn't a concesus about someone...they move on. But Parcels is the Boss. Like he said, he will leave when he thinks that Ireland and Sporano are ready to do it without him.

Re: I'd give us a D
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:38AM

EG, people thought we reached last year as well with Merling & Langford. That panned out quite well.

Vontae Davis was considered the CLEAR #2 CB in the draft, and some thought him to be the most talented CB in the draft,..but....'character' issues dropped his value. What character issue? No drugs, no assault, no DUI, no laziness.

His issue was the coaches thought he wasn't playing full out, and he felt he was. he wouldn't be the first elite athlete who was playing at a very high level that pissed off coaches regarding effort.

Sean Smith was also considered to be a late 1st - 2nd round pick. Of the top 5 CB's in the draft we got 2 of them.

Pat White was projected as a 2nd rounder by most, if not all draft guru's...we took him in the 2nd.

I can see how some might be disappointed in what we didn't get. BUt I think it is inaccurate to call our 1st 4 picks reaches.

Now, as for the rest? yeah I think some might have been reaches. But we don't see film, and we don't know who knows what in respect to other teams plans.

there is no question in my mind the the Pats and Giants took a guy we were planning on drafting. And I can't help but wonder if there was a leak from our War Room? Or if the players themselves alerted a preferred team that there is interest?

So perhaps we took a guy a bit early in the 5th-7th because we wanted him and didn't mind the reach. They traded the 7th rounder because there was no-one on the board they felt was worth the pick.

I can't say i'ld give us an A, because that would mean 'exceeding expectations'; but, a sold B is a fair grade.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:45AM

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:32PM

I thought it was a good draft....B....could be an A if the Pat White pick changes my mind.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 08:01PM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:58AM

I read a lot of draft reviews yesterday, so I apologize if I am taking the thoughts of someone else on this board: originally, I thought that the overall grade of this draft would depend on what Pat White does; but now I am not so sure. Yes, White could be great for us and could certainly improve our grade; but wouldn't this draft be considered a great draft if we got 2 very good starting CBs and a solid possession WR? CB is an extremely tough position in the NFL. The more I think about it, the more I think that getting two very good CBs would qualify for at least a B grade, maybe even an A if they become Pro Bowl caliber CBs. If we had 2 good CBs and a good possession WR that would be an A in my mind. If White lights up the NFL, this draft could be fantastic for us, but even if he doesn't, we could still end up with an A grade in my book.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:19AM

Agreed.

If Vontae Davis becomes our Sam Madison, and Sean Smith our Patrick Surtain, or 'Ed Reed'...that alone makes this draft an 'A'.

That is irrespective of what happens with the rest of the picks.

Now, if Turner, or Hartline become a solid possession WR? A+

If White becomes an impact 'Wildback' or starting QB?? This draft will be crazy good.

It will be up there with the Marino, draft.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 28, 2009 07:35AM

I'm warming to the draft a bit but have trouble rating it above a C until I see some outstanding CB play.

We have a lot of work to make this team rise to that of the improvements in the division and the schedule we play.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 28, 2009 07:52AM

I gave it a B............Should had given it an A+

I mean seriously what do we know.Nobody here knows anything. Nobody knows how these players will turn out.

I know this is a message board but why not look at things on the bright side.

Do some of you still doubt the tuna. He has made it happen everywhere he has been.

I will be happy with our first 3 picks making this team and constributing and the rest of them been busts.

Every year that passes by we improve more and more and the odds are that less draftees make this team anyways.

Be positive!

Date: April 28, 2009 08:49AM

If our new secondary with Wilson, Vontae Davis and/or Sean Smith pan out...the secondary will help the pass rush as mush as the pass rush helped the secondary last year....more coverage sacks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.