Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The difference between last years draft and this years draft.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The difference between last years draft and this years draft.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 10:41AM

Last year the tuna and company concentrated in the OL and DL....

We hit on jake long, phillip merling, kendall lankford, Donald thomas.....All of them are Either OL Or DL players.

This year its the WR position and CB/safety position.

Hopefully this year it turns out as good as last years draft.

PS. Pat White was drafted to enhance the wildcat.......In the playoffs the ravens didnt fear ronnie brown and the wildcat since ronnie can't throw. We'll see how teams react to pat white , since he can run and pass effectivelly at the same time..

GO PHINS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The difference between last years draft and this years draft.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2009 10:51AM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 26, 2009 11:25AM

Date: April 26, 2009 11:36AM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I don't think we'll see Pat White instead of
> Ronnie Brown. Two different players altogether,
> Pat White is not a RB, and White running between
> the tackles will be about as effective as Ronnie
> Brown passing.

I believe they drafted him with the wild cat in mind. Ted ginn had a couple good runs for tds to the outside on reverses. I see pat white as a change of pace. Put him in 5 to 6 times a game. He has the option to run both right or left to the outside and he has the option to pass.

I know what you mean, he isnt a betweens the tackle runner like ricky ot ronnnie but he will be just another option we will have and whole lot of other plays opposing defenses will have to worry about.

We will see if he develops into a good player or not.

Can't wait.

Date: April 26, 2009 11:41AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Last year we got the STEAK. This year we got the
> SIZZLE

Steak = the beef 2008

Sizzle = speed 2009

Can't wait till the first game of the season.

Id be happy if we hit on just 3 players this year.

The first pick in the first round is a must. He must be a good player and start in order for this defense to exell this year. I dont think eric green is the answer opposite of will allen.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 11:44AM

last year we stuck to the draft board and took the highest rated player even if not the biggest need (merling). this year we are reacting to what other teams are doing and getting beaten to the punch to players we wanted (tell me we didn't want barden when the giants jumpeed us to get him). as a result we ended up reaching and taking players at least 1 round too early leaving higher rated players on the board. that and taking a character risk #1 is the biggest difference from last yr

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 26, 2009 02:57PM

What is the character risk?

Marijuana or other drugs? nope.

Assault? Nope

DUI? Nope

cheating? nope

lazy, out of shape? Nope

Acting like a prima donna? Yup. Thinks he's all that? yup.

Hmm. did he split his locker room? Nope.

hmm. was he vocal on the sidelines? nope.

HIs coach benched him during his junior year....what about after that? hmm. nothing.

so, we drafted a young man who has grown up faster, quicker, smarter than pretty much everybody he's met, ..and has attitude that needs adjusting?

Some call that a character flaw/ attitude, I all that confidence that has gone unchallenged. he will get enough challenge i the NFL to give him some humility.

You think his work ethic is going o be questionable when BILL PARCELLS says get ready son, you are about to go cover RANDY MOSS and sometimes ...in man coverage.

I love coaching those guys. They HATE losing. Winning and success makes them a bit complacent...but a challenge gets them to really turn it on.

Deone Sanders, Lester Hayes, Deangelo Hall....all Diva's...and great Corners ( Hayes was also crazy)

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:41PM

The biggest problem we seemed to have last year IMO was our ability to defend the spread offense. We got lit up by everybody that put us into trying to defend the spread. Last year we got alot of interior guys. This year improving the secondary waS HUGE, FA signing Gibril a hard hitting Safety. Then our 2 dafted CBs, both have an amazing ability to be isolated out on a reciever, hold their own, and if it is a screen pass or run, Davis and SMith both have the ability to pop an opposing RB behind the line of scrimmage for a loss. We drafted out of neccesity this year to what opposing coaches were able to exploit about us last year. And on Pat white, I think you will see Pat and Ronnie both run the wildcat together at the same time, not knowing who is going to be the main ball handler. Defense's will not know which package to put on the field, if you have Pennington, Brown, Ricky, WHite, and Ginn all moving around behind the line. Line up to defend the power run formation and they will option out to Pat WHite or Pennington, which will leave a cb or safety one on one with our reciever. WIthout Pat White invovled and or dramatic changes to it, the WIldcat IMO would be dead this year, it was too successfull for us last year keeping teams guessing and we will continue this anyway possible IMO It defintely became unsuccessful in the playoffs, when Ravens just loaded the line of scrimmage and brought a safety up to fill the off tackle gap Ronnie like to exploit!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 03:41PM

by "character" I meant underacheiver and reportedly does not take coaching/instruction well. actually I would rather have someone who smoked weed once or twice in college than that. hopefully BP can straighten him out.

this is only what's been reported about him--obviously I don't know the guy and didn't follow Illinois. whether they are misrepresenting him is another story.

Date: April 26, 2009 03:52PM

ps- last year our first 4 picks were Long, Merlin, Henne, Langford, do you see any bust or reach in that group because I sure don't. I think the phins probably have the strongest first 4 players drafted last year..... Believe, I just wouldn't bet the Tri followed up last year draft perfromance by making a bunch of mistakes with their first 4 picks this year..... just a guess..lol

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 26, 2009 06:37PM

Merling was supposed to be a top 15 player last year but he had a late injury in his college career and fell to us with the 1st pick of Rd 2 (which technically was the last pick of Rd 1 cause the Pats lost their pick)

THAT was a steal. Everyone thought Langford was a huge reach at the time but he proved he was a player last year

Date: April 26, 2009 06:57PM

It was a nice thing that Merling and BP just happened to have the same agent. And the injury wasn't late in the season, it was a hernia he didnt even know about that was discovered at the Combine physical. BP had the true scoop on the injury and no other teams did. SO he fell right in our laps. Langford is a stud. Long proved himself, as most mocksters said he didnt have quick enough feet to play left tackle in NFL and really should be a true right tackle. But I guess making the probowl while playing left tackle all season, exept in the wildcat, shows, our guys seem much smarter then most. and then DOnald Thomas in the sixth forget about it....

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:07AM

Quote:

"ps- last year our first 4 picks were Long, Merlin, Henne, Langford, do you see any bust or reach in that group because I sure don't."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I do. Langford was the first pick in the third round and I had no clue who he was....and every "expert" was calling him a *HUGE* reach.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:14AM

I wouldn't worry about Davis not practising hard with guys like Joey Porter, Will Allen, Yeremiah Bell, Gibril Wilson and Matt Roth around.

He was a big fish in a little pond in Illinois. He was, by far, the best player on their team as a freshman All American and could get away with much more among players.

In Miami, he is a mullet in a sea of Dolphins.

It is a whole different environment down here. He will be in charge of carrying Joey Porter's helmet to practice, going to fetch lunch for the defense and getting Sporano gatorade at practice. LOL.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 27, 2009 07:39AM

I didn't think of it prior to the draft, but I like Davis' attitude for a CB. He seems to have that super-confidence that is pretty much must-have when facing Moss & TO twice a year (granted he probably won't be lined up against them in our first meetings with them this year).

I'm hopeful that he can keep his confidence while being coachable. I do agree that the Tri and the veteran defense will be helpful to him in this regard.

Date: April 28, 2009 07:35AM

There isnt anybody in this world more cocky than lets say deion sanders and sam madison to name two of them.

Confidence goes a long way in football. And in any other sport.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 01, 2009 07:03AM

Moreso than what is different we should notice what is similar about the fO.

1. They flood the draft with a couple of positions.

- This year early picks on CB
- Later picks on WRs
- a few smattering of other picks
- FA signings for other need positions

2. The signing of cameron Wake for LB / DE may have been more to the FO than was publicized.

- The WR position will have a lot of competition which seems to be the brain trust strategy at key positional targets. last year it was DE.

- Last year we also got some good performance from late round offensive line (injury later

Date: May 01, 2009 07:18AM

Hopefully the draft is loaded with talent at the DT and LB position next year. I think thats what we will go after in next years draft.

We need to find the next tim bowens and the next brian cox....

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 01, 2009 09:08AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Hopefully the draft is loaded with talent at the
> DT and LB position next year. I think thats what
> we will go after in next years draft.
>
> We need to find the next tim bowens and the next
> brian cox....

I'd steer away from a Brian Cox type. I'd want to find the next Zach Thomas, John Offerdahl, A J Duhe, or Nick Buoniconti.

Date: May 01, 2009 09:13AM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hopefully the draft is loaded with talent at
> the
> > DT and LB position next year. I think thats
> what
> > we will go after in next years draft.
> >
> > We need to find the next tim bowens and the
> next
> > brian cox....
>
>
> I'd steer away from a Brian Cox type. I'd want to
> find the next Zach Thomas, John Offerdahl, A J
> Duhe, or Nick Buoniconti.

I was talking talent wise , not with the same attitude.

Brian Cox was a great player.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.