HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Current Events vs. Sports
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Current Events vs. Sports
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: July 17, 2016 11:50AM

I'm having a very difficult time being able to think about sports lately. Thanks to all that's happening around us at home and abroad, but especially at home here in the land of freedom. I can't help but feel that our country is really falling apart.

These protests against law enforcement need to end. I feel like all this protesting and the people who support it have reached a point to where now they're just making asses out of themselves and making matters worse. Enough already! Get off the street and get your asses to work!

All of this violence needs to stop. And if all these assholes out there keep it up, we're going to end up losing our freedom and the right to bear arms. Keep shooting cops and before you know it, state by state our freedom will come to and end. Thugs and wackos with guns are seriously jeopardizing the rights and freedom of all law abiding citizens.

When I was arrested once upon a time, I was told by a Police Officer "If everyone was as nice as you when they get arrested, our jobs would be a lot easier". It's really simple folks, just do what your told and everything will be fine. The more you resist or fail to obey what you're told to do, the more the situation will escalate. It's that simple.

To TCPF -

Be safe out there. I was in a war zone in the Middle East, but you're in one right here at home. I applaud and appreciate what you do for a living, thank you for putting your life on the line every day you go to work and try to make an honest living.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Current Events vs. Sports
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 17, 2016 01:05PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: July 17, 2016 02:14PM

I think it's very likely that an abundance of protests can incite anger in individuals to trigger individual nut job reactions. No, they don't have to be affiliated with any organized "group".

In comparison, there's plenty of nuts out there who are willing to commit acts of terror on their own with no affiliation to ISIS other than simply being influenced by their cause and existence.

So I wonder what would happen if the media stayed away from protests and demonstrations. Would a lack of constant national media coverage make it less likely for protesting and demonstrating to continue for days and weeks on end? I think so.

Date: July 17, 2016 03:08PM

LOL. I think it stands to reason that you are right that media attention doesn't HELP. In the 50's and 60's when most of the country was unaware of what segregation meant down South and how humiliating it was, the attention of the marches was necessary to bring the whole nation around to make them aware. For example, my momma got sick when I was 3, and went away to a hospital until I was 4 when she died. When I was 8, my father married what I have always considered my mother. When I was about 12, we were on a long distance trip and my father had to pull off the highway to the side of the road and this great lady had to stumble down the dirt hill out of sight and squat down to urinate because the gas station stops in Oklahoma in those days were segregated and we could buy gas but not use the restrooms. And that was in Oklahoma. Imagine states going in another directions BESIDES Kansas to the North or New Mexico to the West. So I think some of the marchers get out of hand, but before you think TOO harshly of them, you have to consider the history of this country and the evil that was wrought when the first slave was brought over.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 17, 2016 05:09PM

Im a black male too and while I do not agree w/ Black Lives Matter there is a reason they exists.

I remember in the early 90's I would drive regularly from NY to Philly. I was stopped 3 times by the NJ HP on separate occasions. No explanation, I was not speeding they just drove up flashed and pulled me over. I cooperated answered questions and released, I would not let them search my vehicle. The 4th time I was pissed. I just asked the officer why did he stop me? He was very belligerent and antagonizing we were just heading for that flashpoint when he saw my badge on the passenger seat and asked did I work for xyz. I said yes I did. He just said you were driving 55 in the left lane and walked away. Hello racial profiling.

I have a first cousin who was a lieutenant in a major police force. He was driving home. In front of his home he had a cop flash his lights, stop him and when he rolled down his windows a revolver was in his face.

My kid sister, a reporter was stopped. The officer asked for her license and registration. When she moved to open the glove compartment to get her registration he drew his revolver on her. She was complying with his command. She is 5'3" 110 lbs. That's just 3 stories I have scores more.

Its not a matter of just cooperating w/ cops most blacks do. For whatever reason ill trained, incompetent or just plain racist there are bad cops out there just like there are bad citizens that need to be removed from the force. Neither the cops or BLM is 100% innocent in all of this.

The problem w/ America imho is we just politicize everything today. One side of the issue has to be pulled in the left corner and the other to the right and the yelling starts. Nothing is resolved. Selfish incompetent people are using this environment to gain leadership positions. Say hello Trump, and on the other side we had a BLM candidate run for mayor here in Bmore during the last election, the guy was an idiot. Luckily most people recognized that. It's really screwed up.

Who knows where this country will end up.

Date: July 17, 2016 08:38PM

Date: July 18, 2016 05:35AM

I don't have animosity towards cops, I highly respect them. I have had encounters with cops that have had profoundly positive impacts on my life. Trust me I want to see a cop when I walk down some streets of Bmore. My issue is there are bad seeds among their ranks that need to be removed but are protected. I have seen and encountered them in MIA NY and NJ. As I said before I think the BAL PD is great. The Florida HP is great and professional always have had a high degree of respect for those guys. As I said before the reaction of the Dallas PD left me w/ a great degree of respect for those guys. They were protecting everybody. BLM should be encouraging more black males to join their local police departments instead of agitating the issue. They are not trying to be the solution but want to amplify and inflame the problem. There is nothing honorable about killing a cop who is just another man out there trying to do his jobb. Sad thing about the more than a few blacks who share my thoughts don't sell papers and the media as usual ignore our opinions.

Date: July 18, 2016 09:04AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 11:43AM

JUst because of these idiots shooting police men.then

From now on look for police to pull the trigger on anyone for anything...

And i dont blame them.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 12:27PM

Cops aren't hunting unsuspecting victims. Sure there are bad cops and they should be prosecuted but to label them the enemy is ludicrous.

The problem is we have a generation of cell phone wielding loud mouthed kids growing up with no boundaries or self responsibility. They choose what laws or authority figures they want to obey.

Date: July 18, 2016 09:31PM

I haven't even seen "bad" cops, only scared ones.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 06:04AM

Choosing to kill cops randomly, is only going to make more scared cops, which I don't think benefits anybody.... I was taught when a cop approaches you or pulls you over, it is all yes sir, no sir. I am very sorry sir... Dont give them any reason to be the judge, jury or executioner of your life... They yield a lot of power over you when you are pulled over or stopped, the best thing to do is do everything possible to minimize your risk in the situation....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: July 19, 2016 07:42AM

"I haven't even seen "bad" cops, only scared ones."

Trust me they are out there even though I talk highly of the BAL PD I had the experience of the lights come on I pull over the cop comes to my window, tells me he pulled me over because I was not seat belted and my driver side brake light was out. Both were lies of course he pushed to inspect my vehicle which I always refuse and finally push to get this issue resolved.

Boston - black female friend of mine navy veteran high security level and works for one of our intelligence agencies. She's on the Boston transit and reaches her stop. Gets up to exit a cop is blocking her path. She says 'excuse me' several times, he refuses to move, she slips past him to exit and brushed him, he turns around grabs her behind the neck and slams her against the wall. He says 'I thought someone was going for my gun'. She had a ton of witnesses but nothing came of it.

These people are not making this up. There are bad cops out there. Again no excuse for shooting them but this is an issue.

A coworker (white female) of mine told me another story. She said she was leaving work one evening and was robbed of her purse at knife point. Called the cops and described the culprit, white male, blah blah. She said the cops brought 3 black men in cuffs for her to id the 3rd was a coworker who had gotten off and was walking to his car. She said after each guy she kept telling them it was a white male. Again this happens every day somewhere in our country.

You can be a veteran, bronze star, purple star, boy scout, ivy leaguer they don't care. There are cops out there that just have a hard on for black guys and want to take them down. That's just a fact as there are black guys out there to do criminal intent. Both need to be off the street.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 08:51AM

Yeah there are cops that power trip for sure regardless of your color...I have been roughed up, abused by the police, and had done nothing, only to be dropped off after they "put me in my place" without arrest or charges when I was younger...

I also have a relative who was a cop for 35 years, he told me the best thing to do is get yourself away from the situation as quickly as possible.. Best way to do that is kiss there ass, humanize yourself, be respectful and apologize... He said you have no idea what call that officer might have just come from... They might have just seen the most awful scarring shit, you couldnt even imagine. You tend to become just another call or stop, and the things they see at times tend to dehumanize them so to speak... When you humanize yourself in talking to them it tends to help snap them out of that mentality. When you can, talk about your family, your kids, your parents, your dog,etc... You are more then just another call or number...

It is a really tough job, I couldnt imagine having to go through what cops go through on a regular basis.... I obviously think their environment hardens them for the most part as a self protection mechanism... And being a police officer also tends to isolate them by the nature of their work.. Meaning cops tend to hang out with other cops or their families... IMO the majority of them are great people placed in tough situations...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: July 19, 2016 10:47AM

I guess it is not a 100% truth that there are no bad cops. If so, they wouldn't be people. People are human and humans are bad and good.

But like I said, the scared ones are the most dangerous. All of the advice above about you doing your part to de-escalate the situation is good advice.

But I remember in the 70's, there was a special series called "Scared Straight."

They took youngsters who were troubled and getting involved in crime to prisons to be talked to by prison INMATES in order to get them OFF the path of crimes. As was explained by one inmate, "The reason they are bringing you here now is because as near as anyone can figure it, you're coming here anyway."

But what one prisoner said has stuck with me for 40 years now.

He told the young kids, "Do you wake up every morning wondering if this is the day some one may kill me? I DO! Do you wake up every morning wondering 'maybe this is the day I have to kill somebody myself?' I DO! To you that sounds like paranoia but to me it is my life. THIS IS PRISON! This is what you have to expect!"

You know folks, the damn funny thing is that word for word (except the prison part) this also applies to police officers.

Every day they wake up wondering whether they will have to kill or be killed. No one else is engaged in an occupation where that is true.

So even the fear part is not unjustified. We all have to remember to eliminate that part as something that could make the encounter go wrong and turn tragic.

And, of course, nuts like the ones in Dallas and Baton Rouge are really making that difficult.

Date: July 20, 2016 02:32AM

"I guess it is not a 100% truth that there are no bad cops."

If you are just coming to that realization I really hope that you are 13 years old.

I know cops who enjoy there work. My regular happy hour crew is a bunch of ex cops and veterans. The scared thing might be there but its not dominant. That's why they train. Soldiers will tell you yeah I was scared then I let my training kick in. If you are a scary person then you should not be a cop. Scared men will kill I suppose that's why the guy in MN was killed and he was doing all of the things that people here are saying you should do, called out that he had a concealed weapon, obeying the cops orders, non belligerent etc. All of the cops that I know are brave men. I always thought being brave went with that job and I know I am right on the.

Date: July 20, 2016 11:45AM

Date: July 20, 2016 12:00PM

"
It's called sarcasm."

That's fine. My apology

Some good points came out of these posts.

I read today another cop was killed in KC. This is unfortunate, I really hope BLM is prevented from demonstrating in any other city. I really think they are taking satisfaction with each of these shootings.

Date: July 20, 2016 01:18PM

Date: July 21, 2016 10:41AM

I see your point.

From cop shot in KC to a young man (who was assisting an autistic guy) shot while lying down with his hands up in MIA today. Its getting bad.

Date: July 21, 2016 10:46AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see your point.
>
> From cop shot in KC to a young man (who was
> assisting an autistic guy) shot while lying down
> with his hands up in MIA today. Its getting bad.

Iam telling you......Cops from now on will not think about it twice before pulling the trigger....

And again......i do not blame them.

Date: July 21, 2016 03:45PM

LOL, SamSam. The guy is lying down with his hands up and the Cop shoots him out of sheer fear and you don't blame "them." By "them" you mean the cops right?

So the guy who was shot was not only holding both of his arms and hands up but was a MEDICAL worker assisting the other guy who was mentally ill but who did NOT get shot.

Are you mixing up the facts here?

You're not saying the cops should have the right to shoot anybody they want even without a reason, are you?

I mean if the cop somehow misinterpreted things, then they can misinterpret things like any other human being but you seem to be saying that the cops should shoot first and find out what is going on later?

Are you really saying that?

What if it was a member of your family on the other end of that policeman's gun?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 06:52PM by ChyrenB.

Date: July 21, 2016 07:08PM

SamSam, how do you feel, since we're talking a little politics about Ted Cruz, a Cuban descendant, refusing to endorse Donald Trump on the grounds that Trump called Cruz's wife ugly and hinted that Cruz's father may have been involved in the JFK assassination?

Date: July 22, 2016 04:31AM

Date: July 22, 2016 07:55AM

808phan Wrote:
>
>
> To TCPF -
>
> Be safe out there. I was in a war zone in the
> Middle East, but you're in one right here at home.
> I applaud and appreciate what you do for a living,
> thank you for putting your life on the line every
> day you go to work and try to make an honest
> living.

Thank you brother!! It means alot. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2016 08:26AM

Its crazy nuts out there. My take for what its worth........

There are bad cops out there. I've worked with a few that have no verbal judo skills whatsoever . There are calls that can go either way. I always try to take it down , 97% of the time you can. Its that 3% of the time that can get hairy. I know some peers that can make a bad situation worse. But in 3 departments over 25 yrs, I have never ever met anyone who woke up , came to briefing and said "hey lets kill some people today and end our careers". Just like most car accidents I work daily , its a result of many bad circumstances colliding.

That said......It does not help when the leader of the free world takes time out of his bust schedule to basically make statements that give creditability to false assumptions without any facts.

So many statements he's made came 1 or 2 days after an incident without any facts and he has singlehandedly created an atmosphere that has placed many Law enforcement officers at risk and I know my job has gotten much tougher dealing with people on a daily basis.

On top of that you have a biased media cherry picking information and only releasing what they feel with make people watch more.

Look it is what it is. I dont care who video tapes me (its happened several times) because I'm not going to give them anything worth playing. Standing there while people yell , scream , disrespect you trying to goat you into social media goal and a monetary payout does suck. I wont lie. But to be honest the good far out weighs the bad.

Most people are happy to see us and are thankfull.

We had a girl recently who grew up in my city. Never had any race relation problems here. She is a freshman in a college in Atlanta. She cam home for summer break and decided she wanted to have a Black lives matter rally here. Why? Because its all kids talk about on social media. She wanted to be cool when she got back up to college next month. Show everyone how down she was with the cause.

She told the city she has no problem with our department. She wanted to "educate" people on whats going on in other cities. Her church emphatically tried to talk her out of it. They said everyone here gets along . there are no issues, why are you creating one? Her answer?

Because its MY RIGHT. And so......after what happened in Dallas you cant take nice peaceful marches for granted anymore. Cost the city $57,000 in overtime to make sure her 1st amendment right was protected and we had to watch her and her friend yell and abuse us so she could go back to college and show her video and high five her "enlightened" group .

It starts at the very top. I deal with people of every age, sex, race, income level everyday. I'm telling you all from my hear there is a serious problem in this country. And it started right around 2008 and has gotten worse.

I dont listen to the media , I speak from cold hard experience every day. I was born a Democrat , Jew in NYC. I still do not like the Far Right one bit. But what the left is up to, safe spaces and political correctness and all the entitlements and victimization's (dont even get me started on socialism) is ruining this country and the future for our children.

Where Hillary and the left is today , and where they want to go is almost unthinkable. If she wins and appoints the next few Supreme court judges this country is over with as we know it.

Donald Trump is not a perfect man, but he doesnt need this job. He's looking and his new grand children , what kind of lives will they have when Police Officers are being murdered?

One think I wont do is tell you who to vote for. But this election is more important then any other in modern history.

Get the facts. And not from the liberal slanted media.

The very future of this great country is on the line. There is no going back after November 2016.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2016 08:39AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> LOL, SamSam. The guy is lying down with his hands
> up and the Cop shoots him out of sheer fear and
> you don't blame "them." By "them" you mean the
> cops right?
>
> So the guy who was shot was not only holding both
> of his arms and hands up but was a MEDICAL worker
> assisting the other guy who was mentally ill but
> who did NOT get shot.
>
> Are you mixing up the facts here?
>
> You're not saying the cops should have the right
> to shoot anybody they want even without a reason,
> are you?
>
> I mean if the cop somehow misinterpreted things,
> then they can misinterpret things like any other
> human being but you seem to be saying that the
> cops should shoot first and find out what is going
> on later?
>
> Are you really saying that?
>
> What if it was a member of your family on the
> other end of that policeman's gun?

No doubt that department F'ed up. The city manager is already in negotiations for a $7 figure settlement. That guy will never have to work again if he invests it.

However its how the media reports it without the facts thats disturbing.

Heres what happened. Most of the time things are reports worse then how its going down. EX: A woman who's husband just punched her will call 911 and yell : HE'S KILLING ME!! We get there and she has a bruised lip. Not making light of it! Just saying you have to realize how things are reported are usually different then whats going down because people get excited.

It was reported that this guy was disturbed, suicidal, and had a gun.

Cops show up, are hiding behind cars , posts, and buildings. The man that shot was a SWAT sniper 50 yds away. He heard on the radio that the truck he was playing with was possibly a weapon being reloaded. He took a shot.....missed and hit the worker in the leg. Bad accident. The department is definitely liable. They will pay out.

But having Black lives matter go and protest and demand the officer be fired is just wrong. No investigations, the media puts out unarmed person of color shot and thats it. they light the fuse and walk away.

Its disgraceful. And our leader started it all. Hell he invited the group to the white house. He gives them credibility at every turn he can and calls Law Enforcement racist .

It needs to change because you , your loved ones , are less safe everytime an incident like this happens. Cops soon will be very hands off and let the criminals dictate everything. Not worth it. You know who is safe? Politicians behind their big walls and army of secret service.

Think long and hard about it. Be careful what you wish for.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2016 02:55PM

Date: July 23, 2016 08:29AM

Dude not going down that road with you bro. I have no race issue. None. I've embraced you here becuase of your thoughts and opinions only. I'd love to have a beer with you and watch a Phins game one day.

However , and I wont get into every example because there are far to many. But here are a few that stick in the craw of every Law enforcement officer I know black or white or Latino.

2009 Obama called local Police in Cambridge"Stupid" after arresting an uncooperative gentleman who refuses to show ID to police just trying to protect his home. (man was breaking into his own apartment ) What the hell is the president of the US doing getting involved with something on a city level? OH thats right it was his black college professer.

The Shooting of Michael Brown , the self defense shooting of Trevon Martin , Baltimore riots last summer..... I could go On and On . Why is the President of the US speaking on these issues , throwing gasoline on the fire 2 days after an incident without any facts and making assumptions that have all been proved NOT correct?

Yet at every turn HE , not anyone else, HE raises the issue of race as the reason.He has words scrubbed from media reports to fit and re shape his agenda. Its sickening already.

Make America great again means just that. Business, trades, and yes SECURITY. If you see anything remotely racist about that you are a part of the problem , not the solution.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 23, 2016 01:27PM

Well, let's see. I started out defending cops when discussing it with Mizzou. I said that Cops are scared, not wicked. You said, "There are bad cops out there." If you meant that they were bad for being scared, then you should have used better language but you seem to be saying that there are wicked cops out there.

Your main thing seems to be political, however, and you are defending Trump more than your own brethren in law enforcement and are attacking Obama.

Now I'm a Bill Clinton man and more so than just because we both have Hope, Arkansas on BOTH our birth certificates.

But on Obama? I supported Hillary in 2008. When I got to the polls in November, for the first time, I had to talk myself OUT OF VOTING FOR JOHN MCCAIN, not because of anything about Obama but because McCain was one of the greatest men I had ever seen run and I was just as much a Roosevelt Democrat as my Grandmother was a Lincoln Republican.

Cambridge? The cops came to that Professor's door on a routine call and he stayed inside the screen door and "mouthed off" or "smart talked" them. They knew, as you know, that they had no probable cause to arrest him.

So what did they do? They told him that they could not hear him and asked him to step outside on his porch so they could hear him better. When he did, they then immediately arrested him for "PUBLIC" disorder which they could not have done had he stayed inside. Obviously that was wrong.

And ALTHOUGH I KNEW THEM was 40 years ago but I can give you the name of some bad Cambridge cops then. Not big league bad but minor bad. Lying, but not planting evidence. In Massachusetts, 3rd year law students who have been certified can represent misdemeanor defendants in the lowest courts. I belonged not only to Harvard Voluntary Defenders but Cambridge Somerville Legal Services. But I liked those bad cops and I always made them laugh when I tripped them up in court.

But Obama, to me the only thing discomforting about him is that he wrote a book called "Dreams of my Father." But his father was an African exchange student that merely impregnated his White Kansas mother and never had anything else to do with her. He was also Moslem.

It bothers me that he does not have his heart and soul in when it comes to the fight against ISIS. That bothers me.

But Trump bothers me even more.

And it's not Trump running against Obama but Trump running against Hillary.

Why trade one President that bothers you for another that bothers you (or me at least) even more????????

Let's return to the safety and sanity and High economic era before 9-11 of the 90's and another Clinton administration.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.