HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Comings and Goings
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Comings and Goings
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 17, 2016 08:18AM

Poll
25 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Which group of players would you rather have on your roster for 2016 and beyond?

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that a good signing for a 6-10 team should meet all of the following criteria (or at least numbers 1 and 3):
1. Good player
2. Young player
3. Healthy player

Yes, there are salary cap concerns to be taken into consideration, but I still believe we have lost a lot of good, young, healthy talent while failing to bring in ANY good, young, healthy talent. What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 08:21AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comings and Goings
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 17, 2016 08:45AM

There's way too much involved to be an either/or scenario. If you just want to talk about which player is better, that's one thing. If you are talking about which helps which team more, that's another issue completely...

Besides you left off my favorite player....Kiko Alonso.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 08:46AM by JoeFootball.

Date: March 17, 2016 08:56AM

I meant to include Alonso and forgot. He's young, so he has that going for him. Healthy? He hasn't been for two years. Good? He hasn't been for two years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 08:57AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: March 17, 2016 09:01AM

The pole is far from an exact science. It doesn't address positions, salary, etc.

I'm simply asking if we got any good, young, healthy players to replace the good, young, healthy players that left.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 10:13AM

You should had made a choice for WE're Screwed.

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 12:35PM

I would rather have the group we have acquired.

Don't get me wrong I liked what Vernon did for us, but he was inconsistent at times and at the price he went for I would not have wanted us to sign him. Brent Grimes was let go because he refused to take a pay cut, he's in his thirties now so not the biggest loss. Shelby was nice depth, but again nothing that is irreplaceable. The main player I am not happy about losing is Lamar Miller. I see him as a top ten, possibly top five running back when used properly.

In Maxwell we've grabbed a good cover corner. Mario is a proven pass rusher still capable of 10+ sacks. If heathy Kiko can be an upgrade at linebacker. Bushrod is a good addition to the o-line. Branch is a good addition to the depth chart. Abdul-Quddus is a decent addition. The only thing we've missed on at this point is a replacement for Miller, if we can find one in free agency or the draft, I think we've got better and we've got cap space - something we wouldn't really have with the other group, and we'd still have holes to fill.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 17, 2016 05:51PM

Getting rid of Grimes' wife is enough for me to vote for group #2.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 18, 2016 02:07AM

At this point of the new season (coming up) it doesn't look better or worse. The test (as we all know) is on the playing field. By the 4th game (no preseason stuff) we'll know if we gained anything other than an exchange of player names on uniforms. Because of Dolphins front office selections over the past decade or more, I have serious doubts on whether new names with new faces make a positive difference.

As for Miko Grimes...she is a "loose cannon." Good luck Tampa Bay fans.

Date: March 18, 2016 08:10AM

Many of us were pretty excited last season to have a dominant defense and we all thought we would be pretty good. We weren't.

Was last years 6-10 team better on paper than the 2014 team that won 8 games or the 2013 team that won 8 games? On paper, yes but two wins is two wins. I think the more important comparison is Gase over Philbin. That's got to be worth 2 or 3 wins right there.

We don't know what he will do YET but the Dolphins with JP and company were THE worst staff in football. I'm pretty confident that will not be the case in 2016.

Maybe this year they will surprise us. Lots of "ifs" but I would rather be underdogs than overconfident.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 18, 2016 11:32AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 06:17AM

I think it is too tough to judge one group of players who havent even played together yet vs another group who played together 3+ years... I think the better question is if you were happy with the 6-10 record we had with group 1 vs the possibility that group 2 could improve that 6-10 record... vs can it get much worse then 6-10 vs the cost of group 1 salaries in the coming year...
Yes group 2 works for me....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 21, 2016 05:34AM

Young player is not that important. The goal is to win this year, not next year. There will be another offseason for next year.

Date: March 21, 2016 07:13AM

Young player is that important. We are extreme longshots to win in 2016. This is a team that should be building for the future.

Date: March 21, 2016 07:19AM

Need young players for the future.....No sense in drafting players grooming them and then letting them go for peanuts.

Date: March 21, 2016 07:38AM

Good player is important, whether young or older. Young on its own has only one benefit, he is cheap!

But if a young player is not cheap, then there is no benefit in that player being young for the sake of being young, there is only benefit if that player is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 07:38AM by thegreathoo.

Date: March 21, 2016 07:51AM

But players such as lamar miller, OV even jared odrick were very good and at their prime....

Date: March 21, 2016 08:03AM

It's not like the guys we got are cheap. Maxwell is costly. Williams is costly. Keeping Wake is costly. Maxwell and Alonso all cost us valuable draft position.

Shelby would have been cheap to keep. Miller got paid what he is worth. I really think we could have re-upped him a year ago for less and kept him. Vernon could have been retained as a one year franchise player.

Young, healthy and good players. That's what almost every team wants. Great teams don't let good homegrown talent get away for nothing.

Date: March 21, 2016 03:33PM

They didn't exactly let them go for nothing. We will get a 3rd and 5th round pick for Miller and OV.

And not be cap strapped with QB money for a DE inhibiting us from adding talent over the next 3 or 4 years.

Date: March 21, 2016 03:51PM

Barry Jackson ?@flasportsbuzz 10m10 minutes ago

Dolphins are bringing in veteran OG Kraig Urbik for visit with intent of signing him if it goes well,per league source.Backup at very least.

Date: March 21, 2016 05:41PM

Shelby was not athletic enough. I think the fo had done a superb job acquiring two super athletic defensive tackles in Suh and Phillips but those positions are non essential to a great defense and we need athletic playmakers at linebackers and defensive backs to be flying and swarming, and same goes for edge rushers. We need to get faster, more elite, tougher. Think Jaylon Smith, Jalen Ramsey, last year Kendricks, we need those players to swarm. I think Mario and Wake at edges are okay, and they are certainly elite in a lot of respects, but we will need edges who chase, pursue and not just pass rush. It is really a shame that Jordan didnt work out.

Reshad Jones is obv a keeper and elite, and Maxwell and Kiko both fit the bill of what we need so I am super excited about that. I like the line of thinking in those acquisitions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 05:48PM by thegreathoo.

Date: March 22, 2016 05:21AM

From owners meetings in South Florida....

Jordan Phillips has been told to get in better shape. Will drop from 330 to 315. Said it is going well.

On a bright note: Phillips was as good as a rookie as Earl Mitchell was in his 6th year. Not saying much but...

Date: March 22, 2016 06:10AM

Phillips has more potential than mitchell.

Mitchell has hit his ceiling already and i dont expect much more than what he has given us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.