HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Have you seen enough DeVante Parker...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Have you seen enough DeVante Parker...
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 29, 2016 12:06PM

...to have a strong opinion of him?

>>> 26 receptions for 494 yards (19per) with 3TDs

Has Parker really proven anything?

Is he a legit #1 NFL dog?

Is he a superstar on the horizon?

Or just an OK legit NFL baller?

Most important -- can he now be considered "physically sound?"

I for one believe this kids emergence -- as a real "force" game in and game out -- is absolutely crucial to the short term success of the team. Why?

Because his presence (provided he blooms into a dominant player) will help our run game and certainly add points to the scoreboard. Bottom line, we need a consistent big play "clutch" baller on the outside to dictate terms to the D and open room on the field elsewhere (vertically and horizontally).

My take is this -- I believe the #1 attribute missing from Parker's game was/is explosiveness off the LOS. If the kid works on that (which of course will also put a ton of stress on his foot) and comes out bigger-faster-stronger -- well, he could be a ? ? ?
"superstar on the horizon."

It's been so long since we've had dominate playmakers we don't have a clue what they even look like anymore!

LOL.

Anyway, my .02.

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 12:08PM by BigNastyFish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have you seen enough DeVante Parker...
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 12:14PM

I like to see him go up and meet the ball at the highest point, when he does that he looks pretty damn special to me...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 29, 2016 12:17PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like to see him go up and meet the ball at the
> highest point, when he does that he looks pretty
> damn special to me...

valid point... But IMO you can't be a dominant force as a one trick pony.

Date: January 29, 2016 12:55PM

If you can jump higher then everyone else and meet the ball at the highest point that is a pretty good trick to have in the bag of tricks... He also seems to have great focus, ie the deep ball he caught around the Patriots defender in the last game... He has shown flashes in a few areas I like to see and it is still early on with little playing time.. I think Parker's game and style compliments Landry's well..If we can throw a good TE in the mix, the passing game has the weapons...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 12:56PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 29, 2016 01:51PM

From what I saw, he will be a good receiver. Will he be great? This year will tell the story.

As Crowder said, he CAN go up and get the ball. He is strong. However, it LOOKED like he was a tad slow. Is he slow, or is it just the long strides?

Anyone know his 40 in college?

Date: January 29, 2016 02:10PM

he's like a 4.5 guy. Definitely not a burner.

Like I said, I think his "weakness" is the lack of explosiveness off the line. If he can make some significant strides there he'll be a lot more serious as a weapon all across the field.

IMO.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 04:14PM

I have every fear that he'll be a "typical Dolphins player", in that he'll make some spectacular plays now and then but not do so consistently enough to really be relied upon or to be counted as one of the best in the league.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 30, 2016 01:35AM

I've seen enough of him so far to say that, I want to see more of him.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 30, 2016 04:13AM

On stats alone for his last 6 games he projects to the following for a full season:
receptions: 59
yards: 1187
TD: 8
YPC: 20.2

Those numbers aren't Calvin Johnson in his prime, but they're top 10(ish). Crazy things are for his last 6 2015 games:
(a) it includes a game where he had one reception for 16 yards and 0 TD
(b) they happened when our team was in complete shambles
(c) I can't really remember thinking "dang, he's going OFF"...even though he had a 33+ yard reception in every game but his one bad one
(d) he produced those with Landry getting crazy, lopsided numbers of targets

I'd anticipate with more games & use, his receptions go up and his YPC would go down.

More than his individual numbers, I agree that it will hopefully produce benefits of drawing coverage away from others...opening up the run game...making teams think 2x before wholesale blitzing.

Date: January 30, 2016 07:16AM

Not sure precisely why -- but I strongly believe this kids upside is directly related to him running hills (ala Jerry Rice) and working on his burst.

He's big and attacks the ball as we’ve seen, but in order to take his game to the top level, he needs to develop better "get off" and sharper quicker moves.

I just think running hills (and of course there ain't any in SFL) would be the perfect way for this kid to build strength and add explosion to his game.

One other benefit would be stressing and stretching in his foot -- adding endurance, stability and confidence in his overall soundness.

Maybe Ross can move the team to WVA? They gots lotsa hills up yonder!

BNF.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 30, 2016 07:48AM

Oh I definitely want to see more of him. Being sidelined with an injury for most of the season must have been difficult for him to contend with as a young player. He wants to play.

A fully healthy Parker along with Landry is a force to be reckoned with, both of these guys are are serious ballers. Whatever deficiency Parker has with speed is countered by his ability to catch a football. He is really physical. That poses a match-up challenge for opponents. Both Landry & Parker need to be covered well. And even if they are, they can still make a play.

I have seen enough...To tell that DeVante Parker during his limited playing time so far is a solid football player who will be a good asset for this team. And hopefully our new head coach is part of the formula who can bring out the best in every player we have to make this a winning team again. We shall see.

PS - Nice to see you back on the board again BNF smileys with beer

Date: January 30, 2016 08:21AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 10:42AM

2016 Pro Bowler. Write it down.

Date: January 30, 2016 12:16PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> 2016 Pro Bowler. Write it down.

Interesting prediction. With Thill at QB right?

If Thill gets solid pass pro and we have a consistent productive run game -- and Gase uses Ryan's athleticism -- AND Parker gets bigger-stronger-more explosive (while of course being 100% recovered from toe fungus etc.) why not!

Date: January 30, 2016 12:28PM

Crowder52 Wrote:

> Just for reference at the NFL combine Devante
> Parker ran a 4.45 40 yard dash and by comparison
> Jarvis Landry ran a 4.65 40 yard dash at the
> combine.

And just for reference back at ya he backed that up with a 4.5 flat!

Either way, like I said, he's a "4-5" guy. Good speed for a WR but NOT a burner. Personally I have zero issue with his speed. My concern is his physical soundness.

I just have bad memories involving #1 picks coming off major college surgery. I mean -- I do remember Project BIG... Kinda weird as soon a Tannenbaum (a Biggie T disciple) gets involved we're back to the SOS we saw before.

BIG dudes coming off major college surgery.

I'd start looking there to predict our #1 pick this year.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Date: January 30, 2016 02:10PM

Yes the injury or his foot is my biggest concern as well...

Nietzsche

Date: January 30, 2016 02:52PM

Guy has serious potential. I'm getting really sick of drafting hurt players , but Devante has playmaker ability. Reminds me a lot of Orande Gadsen. Hopefully no foot problems like him anymore.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 04:08PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2016 Pro Bowler. Write it down.
>
> Interesting prediction. With Thill at QB right?
>
> If Thill gets solid pass pro and we have a
> consistent productive run game -- and Gase uses
> Ryan's athleticism -- AND Parker gets
> bigger-stronger-more explosive (while of course
> being 100% recovered from toe fungus etc.) why
> not!

he missed the entire preseason and most of the regular season and then it took awhile to get into playing shape, but even with all that if you extrapolate his numbers to a full season you get 900 yards and 5 TDs. Imagine with a full offseason and season, even with RT I'd say 1200-1300 yards and 10 TDs is well within reason. He made plays last year that only a true stud #1 WR makes and have not been seen in these parts since maybe Irving Fryer

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: January 31, 2016 04:49AM

There is 2 type of speed: track speed(40 time) then football speed. He has football speed. That means when all the equipment is on he still runs as fast as without it. The best football players have football speed. Except Marino LOL

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 31, 2016 08:15AM

Well, at the risk of being contradictory let me share my two cents....

The report on him for his senior season was that he was noticeably slower after coming back from the foot injury. He still managed 855 yards and 5 td's in 6 games for a 19.0 average. He also still managed to run a 4.45 at the combine. You could infer that he is a 4.3 guy just as easily as you could call him a 4.5 guy.

You could also project a full season for him out to 1130 yards and 7 td's if you look at the targets in 7 games. The first game, in week 2 would drastically lower that projection since he had only 1 target for 3 yards. He was also still favoring/unsure of, the foot.

A better look would be weeks 12-17 in which he put up an amazing 20.22 ypr.

As far as the injury, he had the exact same surgery that Julio Jones had after the 2014 season. Julio has since put up 1,600 and 1,900 yard seasons.

I don't see Parker as explosive as Julio but I do see him as a faster AJ Greene. AJ ran a 4.50 at the combine. DP also jumped 2" higher.

I've seen enough to believe he will be a franchise WR as long as there are no more injuries. I'm not worried too much about the foot given the history of recovery for other players.

I like his attitude. He seems to be a non diva. That's a great thing, IMO.

I think the second half of the season will just make his confidence soar. He now knows he can do it at this level and will have en entire off season to work towards getting better instead of having to rehab all year.

I also think Gase will find a way to utilize his strengths as opposed to being "queezy" like Joe Philbin and co.

The player I was disappointed with was Kenny Stills, who will be our #3 this year. He had way too many drops. Very uncharacteristic for him. He had some of the best hands in the league prior to this year. It would not surprise me if that was because of the way they used/coached him.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 31, 2016 10:55AM

Not focusing on Parker but you know I noticed that after Philbin was fired, a lot of the NEW players that were glued to the bench seemed to get more playing time. Philbin was a "you've got to keep your place in line" kinda guy. Sorry to be piling on to your boy, jsm08.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 31, 2016 12:23PM

Is Parker slow? Probably not.

When I was a teenager one of my buddies was a long drink of water. At 15 he was 6'7" and weighed 270. We played baseball, shot hoops, played stickball, touch football and on occasion, pick up games of tackle (no pads) football.

When Big Tom ran, he looked kind of slow, his strides were really long, and because of it he looked like he wasn't moving unless you focused on the scenery behind him. In foot races, he was as quick as another friend who was just 5'5" and 145.

Big guys can be deceiving on just how quick and nimble they are. I know Parker isn't 6'7" but the example may fit him. I want to see a lot more of him in 2016, that's for sure. We'll find out just how quick he is and how well he runs routes and gets open. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.