HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami Free Agents
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 2016 Free Agency
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 09, 2016 10:58AM

Dolphins FO underestimated market this year. Lost out on all the top guards as well as their plan for DE with William Hayes.

Now they are sitting around like....uuhhhh.

Brooks, Allen, Osemele, Boone

Also lost out on Forte who is going to Jets.

Better go get Mathis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 11:02AM by JoeFootball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: March 09, 2016 11:21AM

It does not surprise me. Team have a lot of cap room (average is $30M) and it is a shopping frenzy. As soon as I saw $11M for an OG I knew that their was going to be some stupidity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 11:24AM by dgoodhue.

Date: March 09, 2016 11:44AM

That's the market. The cap has gone up dramatically over three years. Something like $30M. Money has to get spent. Problem is Dolphins always spend it on the wrong players.

If they don't draft their asses off this year we are screwed...pending further signings of course.

If they go in like last year with scrub guards like Shelly Smith, Linkenbach, McClenden....brace yourself.

Re: The whine and cry about every bad move in the history of the Dolphins thread.....SMH
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 09, 2016 12:43PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Miller I let walk. Vernon too if Wake
> restructures. I'd like to see us get a few comp
> picks next year for a change and build that way.
> "
>
> So, you're suggesting that we release two young,
> talented players that we drafted and started to
> develop so that we can get low-round compensatory
> picks to replace them?!? That way lies complete
> collapse of this franchise.

Well, dolphan4545, did you see the contracts that both of them will be signing? No way Miami could have done that. Now, if Miami had done what Joe (and others) said Miami should have done, i.e., sign them some time back, they may still be with Miami.

Yes, both are young and talented, but priced themselves right out of Miami. Watch after next season is over what the Giants and Texans try to do with the contracts. Highly doubtful they will play up to the $ they signed for.

I wish them both luck, however.

Date: March 09, 2016 01:33PM

Isa Abduul-Quddus is our new starting FS. $4.5M per year for 4 years.

OV will be the highest paid DE in football and that includes JJ Watt!
The Giants and Eagles are blowing up the vault for these guys. $17M for OV. It's beyond stupid. Anyone think he'll live up to that? Now he's under Suh type pressure to perform. 7.5 sacks will not cut it although he is playing on what should be a dominant line with Hankins, Harrison and JPP. They also gave up 12M for Janoris Jenkins. Why bother to fire Coughlin if that was your plan?

Eagles signed Brandon Brooks $8M, Chase Daniels $7M, Rodney McLeod $7.5M, Sam Bradford $17.5M, Vinny Curry $9.5M, Leodis McKelvin $3M

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 01:46PM by JoeFootball.

Date: March 09, 2016 01:41PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Isa Abduul-Quddus is our new starting FS. $4.5M
> per year for 4 years.
>
> OV will be the highest paid DE in football and
> that includes JJ Watt!
> The Giants and Eagles are blowing up the vault for
> these guys. $17M for OV. It's beyond stupid.
> Anyone think he'll live up to that? Now he's under
> Suh type pressure to perform. 7.5 sacks will not
> cut it although he is playing on what should be a
> dominant line with Hankins, Harrison and JPP. They
> also gave up 12M for Janoris Jenkins. Why bother
> to fire Coughlin if that was your plan?
>
> Eagles signed Brandon Brooks $8M, Chase Daniels
> $7M, Rodney McLeod $7.5M, Sam Bradford $17.5M,
> Vinny Curry $9.5M

I first saw that Miami had signed Abduul-Quddus and said "Who?"

I read a little on him and found out he played for Detroit and did an OK job.

Well, at least Miami didn't have to pay too much for him.

Strange tho, in that Nelson and quite a few other "good" safeties are still on the market.

Date: March 09, 2016 01:47PM

Dolphins are trying to play money ball it seems. Like Cleveland.

They are looking at tendering CJ Anderson an offer He's a UFA but no compensation. Patriots, Dolphins, 49ers, and Bears all looking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 01:49PM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: March 09, 2016 03:28PM

The problem I have so far is what exactly is their plan with all these 1-2 year contracts, trades and restructurings?

It looks to me like this front office either thinks we are going to be competing for championships the next two years, or they think they'll be able to replace all these guys in the next two drafts (plus all of the new holes that will occur in the next two years).

Either case seems delusional to me as I don't see either one happening. So why all these short term deals? I don't get it.

Date: March 09, 2016 03:28PM

Shelby gets 4.5M from Atlanta on 4 year deal..7.5 guaranteed

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 09, 2016 04:44PM

With all the love the new staff showed tannehill it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they shipped him off to denver.

No matter what moves we make we aren't competing until we get better QB play.

Trade tanne, get some draft ammo and move up and take Goff.

Date: March 09, 2016 04:57PM

We just signed another scrub to take over for our departed scrub tackle Jason Fox. Sam Young from Jax. 13 starts in 6 years.

Here we go again! I hate these FO people.

Rishard Mathews goes to Titans. At least it wasn't the Pats.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 03:38AM

Richard Mathews gone too?

We are losing good players left and right.

Guaranteed we will up there fighting to see who picks # 1 overall in 2017.

Guaranteed.

Date: March 10, 2016 03:53AM

No. I think with good coaching, we will be 8-8.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 10, 2016 04:14AM

OV got absolutely ludicrous money...no way was he worth what he got. Miller, got more than I would have paid him as well. He was a good back but he was not a must have guy talent wise. Matthews and Shelby were guys that I think we should have kept.

If we can get CJ Anderson no one will miss Miller.

After the moves we made I think its all but certain that we will go with a DE or CB at 13 this year.

Date: March 10, 2016 12:21PM

CJ Anderson signed to an offer sheet. 4 yrs 18mm. Denver has 5 days to match.

Date: March 10, 2016 04:37PM

Re: Miami Free Agents
Date: March 10, 2016 04:56PM

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 07:05PM

Anybody who is comfortable with going into the season with Alonso as our MLB is the same idiot who was comfortable with going into the last two seasons with Delmas as our starting safety.

Date: March 11, 2016 02:47AM

Correction. $1.4m per year for Kiko.

Date: March 11, 2016 05:11AM

If there is a silver lining in all this....we should get....

a 3rd round compensatory pick for OV in 2017
a 4th for Miller

Date: March 11, 2016 12:06PM

Phins5.0 Wrote:
> The problem I have so far is what exactly is their
> plan with all these 1-2 year contracts, trades and
> restructurings?
>
> It looks to me like this front office either
> thinks we are going to be competing for
> championships the next two years, or they think
> they'll be able to replace all these guys in the
> next two drafts (plus all of the new holes that
> will occur in the next two years).
>
> Either case seems delusional to me as I don't see
> either one happening. So why all these short term
> deals? I don't get it.

I'm only guessing, but my thought is: the FO is (1) plugging the holes with vets until they groom younger player(s) to take over or (2) see if the vets can play well with their short term contracts, and if they do play well, extend them when the time comes.

Date: March 11, 2016 12:09PM

Phins5.0 Wrote:
> Anybody who is comfortable with going into the
> season with Alonso as our MLB is the same idiot
> who was comfortable with going into the last two
> seasons with Delmas as our starting safety.

Highly doubtful that any of us here are comfortable with Alonso and his past injury. We are all hoping our guys remain injury-free this season.

Idiots?

Re: The whine and cry about every bad move in the history of the Dolphins thread.....SMH
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 05:18PM

"did you see the contracts that both of them will be signing? No way Miami could have done that. Now, if Miami had done what Joe (and others) said Miami should have done, i.e., sign them some time back, they may still be with Miami.
Yes, both are young and talented, but priced themselves right out of Miami."

I don't disagree with this at all. Unfortunately, the team had no foresight and were forced to let them go.

Rick

Date: March 12, 2016 04:07AM

they don't by maybe they're getting it. the FA blunders of yesteryear are coming home to roost. we couldn't afford our home grown talent.

these signings are stopgaps. Maybe, just maybe, we'll draft better and be able to retain these players past their rookie contracts.

alonso is a good get if he can stay healthy. cheap and has a year to prove himself. you start with him.

as for the guards the way things are going now they'll get a vet guard or two in a couple months. mathis wasn't signed last year until camp started. I see us taking that same approach this year and drafting more guards in the 3rd - 5th rounds.

I'm glad we didn't go hog wild again on day 1 of FA. I don't like all this sabermetrics bs and I don't think it works in football BUT past FA blunders kind of forced our hand.

oh yeah, get a plan b qb no later than the 4th because the last thing we need to be doing next year is reaching for that next "franchise" qb in round 1.

Date: March 12, 2016 04:47AM

As Jimmy Johnson said, players fall through the cracks when you have too many changes in management.

Those were Ireland guys so this regime had no allegiance to them. It's pretty sad when your management makes Jeff Ireland look good.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 04:53AM

Our home grown talent has not gotten us a winning season so Im wondering why some fans and writers are crying so much over them.

Mathews and Shelby while I appreciate them were the #3 guys at their positions so why pay them like starters. Some writers keep printing that Shelby and Vernon were good run defenders but we did not finish in the top 20 against the run the last 2 seasons.

Vernon and Miller were not worth the money they got.

Grimes I would have cut him to. Our best corner but we needed his money to rebuild.

Rebuild that's the word. I think the front office wants to build a competitive team this year with the realization that we are not making the playoffs in 2016. Improvement from 2015 is what they want to see. Strengthen the oline and fill spots in on D and lineup and play.

This years draft will be the key to rebuilding. Again bring guys in to fill spots and push guys at others. In 2017 it has been pointed out by losing Vernon Miller Grimes and others we will have extra 3,4,5 picks. We will need them.

Draft an alpha cb in rnd 1 (Hargraves, Alexander) to play opposite of Maxwell a DT in rnd 2 and bring in a center (Martin, Ball) to compete w/ Pouncey and a tackle so in 2017 we can let Pouncey and Albert go releasing more money for free agency and draft picks. Wake should also be released in 2017. More money.

I think we are seeing the beginning of a roster turnover that is badly needed.

Date: March 12, 2016 05:10AM

Bringing in Brandon Weeden? WTF... Why bother?

Date: March 12, 2016 05:18AM

Now 35 year old Chris Clemons? 6'3 235 lb DE

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 05:29AM

I think our fans are disappointed that we draft young talent and let them walk away for nothing, while pursuing the splashy free agency and/or trade approach that has become common under Stephen Ross' ownership of the team. That is not to say this approach cannot work, but by throwing tons of cash at players we are always having to make sacrifices to get under the cap, and to create any kind of flexibility to be active in free agency. This off season we have sacrificed talent like Vernon Davis, Lamar Miller, Brent Grimes and others to make way for Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso, Jermon Bushrod and CJ Anderson. I don't see this as a sustainable way to build a contender because for every supposed gain we make, we have to sacrifice another player to make way for them.

Now granted no team in the league can hold onto every player they have drafted, brought in via free agency, or traded for - it is simply not possible. Seattle are finding that out because they have players leaving because they cannot afford to pay everyone. But the difference with teams like Seattle is they drafted very well and make sure they have excellent depth, so when one player leaves, they have another to step up to take their place. You don't really see Seattle going wild in free agency throwing tons of cash around, or the Patriots throwing tons of cash around, and the reason for that is because by in large they have built their monsters through the draft and sensible use of free agency and trades, and continue to feed the monster through the draft and sensible use of free agency and trades. Teams like ours, built on unsustainable spending, more often than not don't work out or last very long.

At this point in time we have to see what Gase can do as our head coach and what this front office can do. I want to say it is going to be .500 or better, but I am not convinced we are going to surpass what Philbin managed to "achieve" here in Miami.

Date: March 12, 2016 05:44AM

I think you have to do both well.

Traditionally it hasn't worked because the teams doing it were the bottom of the barrel teams with fly by night management. They just signed the wrong players and usually overspent for those players.

Seattle certainly tapped into the the market a few years back with Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Tony McDaniel.

Denver signed Aquib Talib, Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware and TJ Ward.

Carolina signed Greg Olsen, Michael Oher, Ted Ginn, Jericho Cotchery, Mike Tolbert, Charles Tillman, Cortland Finnegan, Jared Allen, Mike Remmers, Roman Harper, Kurt Coleman

Even NE signed Darrell Revis to a huge contract the last time the won the SB.

I think if Joe Philbin and the flunky bunch can win 8 games, Adam Gase is certainly good for 9 or 10.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.