HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami Free Agents
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Miami Free Agents
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 21, 2016 05:15AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2016 Free Agency
Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: January 23, 2016 08:45AM

Last preseason, I hoped MIAMI would sign a certain very solid, veteran G from the Eagles in F/A. But we chose not to pay him the c. $4.75-5 Million that was needed to land him, even though we could have easily done so. In fact, our only offer to him was I/m/o an insult, if not a joke. At that point, even though I live in East Hollywood, FL., I stopped going to Dolphins home games, and I wrote to tell ROSS et al the exact reason why. TANNEHILL paid the most for that blunder I/m/o, and we all saw it! Only an incredibly STUPID franchise would let their "90 MILLION Dollar Man" become a tackling dummy for the rest of the League when a way to avoid it was staring them right in the face!!!

The Dolphins were apparently hoping that a young G or 2 already on their roster would "seize the opportunity". Apparently, they also misread their own younger players' talent level, because none did! Not even CLOSE! Regardless, refusing to pay up for a still viable, solid, top shelf G, when a top shelf G or 2 was such an obvious and BIGTIME need, was incredibly stupid... UNBELIEVABLY STUPID!!! But we ARE talking about the Miami Dolphins, aren't we!!!

So, here we are, a year later, and we STILL need 2 solid Gs and a top shelf MLB and maybe also another solid OLB. All because "no-guts MIAMI" could've achieved so much more last preseason, but DID NOT!! Well, winners DO achieve such things, and losers don't...and the more things change, the more they remain the same!!! NE didn't exactly slide into total oblivion and fade away, did they. WINNERS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 08:58AM by LUDUPORCU.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 23, 2016 09:40AM

LUDUPORCU Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last preseason, I hoped MIAMI would sign a certain
> very solid, veteran G from the Eagles in F/A. But
> we chose not to pay him the c. $4.75-5 Million
> that was needed to land him, even though we could
> have easily done so. In fact, our only offer to
> him was I/m/o an insult, if not a joke. At that
> point, even though I live in East Hollywood, FL.,
> I stopped going to Dolphins home games, and I
> wrote to tell ROSS et al the exact reason why.
> TANNEHILL paid the most for that blunder I/m/o,
> and we all saw it! Only an incredibly STUPID
> franchise would let their "90 MILLION Dollar Man"
> become a tackling dummy for the rest of the League
> when a way to avoid it was staring them right in
> the face!!!
>
> The Dolphins were apparently hoping that a young G
> or 2 already on their roster would "seize the
> opportunity". Apparently, they also misread their
> own younger players' talent level, because none
> did! Not even CLOSE! Regardless, refusing to pay
> up for a still viable, solid, top shelf G, when a
> top shelf G or 2 was such an obvious and BIGTIME
> need, was incredibly stupid... UNBELIEVABLY
> STUPID!!! But we ARE talking about the Miami
> Dolphins, aren't we!!!
>
> So, here we are, a year later, and we STILL need 2
> solid Gs and a top shelf MLB and maybe also
> another solid OLB. All because "no-guts MIAMI"
> could've achieved so much more last preseason, but
> DID NOT!! Well, winners DO achieve such things,
> and losers don't...and the more things change, the
> more they remain the same!!! NE didn't exactly
> slide into total oblivion and fade away, did they.
> WINNERS!

Ya gotta remember, also, LUDUPORCU, that Miami had a starting OG on their roster, and let him go...Incognito. He could have helped shore up the left side and Miami would have only one guard position to try to fix.

I'm not saying Incog was an All Pro; I am saying that he is a good guard and Miami could have protected RT much better than they did...he also wouldn't have cost much.

Then if Miami had added Mathis...

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 11:03AM

I gotta agree. I've been saying for years that the heart and soul of a successful team is the O- and D-lines, and we must solidfy them before we can be competitive- we have some good to very good 'skill' players, but as we have seen they can't do their thing until we solidfy both lines. I could hardly believe we didn't make a concerted effort to sign Mathis. As for Incognito, he is the poster boy for that old saying,"be careful what you wish for, you may get it." So at the insistence of a bunch of self-righteous people in the community who don't care about our team anyway, we let go a young, immature player with elite talent- he made the Pro Bowl in 2011- who just needed a strong guiding hand, which apparently Jim Turner didn't have. And the team let them force them into it. With those two players added to the talent pool that we do have, our o-line might be pretty decent. Ah, well, hindsight is 20/20.

Rick

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 23, 2016 01:32PM

This franchise was more worried about it's public image than winning. Bullygate could have been handled without cutting Incognito.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 03:13PM

it's not just incog. we had plenty of good players and let them go b/c our pathetic coaches couldn't handle them. imagine if we held on to Vontea (a pro bowl Ccool smiley and Brandon Marshall (a pro bowl WR), also Karlos Dansby has been 10x better than anyone we tried to replace him with. these are people we let go for no other reason than Philbin couldn't handle them b/c he was such a weak loser.

Date: January 23, 2016 07:36PM

You are so right berk.

I see these former Dolphins players contributing to other teams and shake my head.

Re: The whine and cry about every bad move in the history of the Dolphins thread.....SMH
Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: January 24, 2016 06:17PM

Our whole o-line problem started the day we drafted that "no longer in the league", marshmallow, Johnathan Martin.

That single pick was the shot that imploded the Death Star.

And wasn't Grier involved in JM's evaluation process? I wonder how he viewed the pick at the time.
From what I can tell, the majority of the picks at key positions have been junk.

I for one, have a Sick feeling about the new direction of this team.
Not impressed with any of the recent FO or coaching hires.

Being a Dolphins fan is one of Donte's 9 circles of hell!

Re: The whine and cry about every bad move in the history of the Dolphins thread.....SMH
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 12:42AM

Well Joe, I'm not going to name specific players, but I think I go the vet route in FA. Guys that are proven that will take a 2 yr contract at G and S and draft their replacements to be groomed.

Tired of seeing us through huge money at FAs trying to solve our problems.

Miller I let walk. Vernon too if Wake restructures. I'd like to see us get a few comp picks next year for a change and build that way.

This is a multi year fix and part of the reason why is our failures in FA.

Date: January 25, 2016 04:22AM

Date: January 25, 2016 08:23AM

OV will command a big paycheck. I'd like to keep him but not at 10mm/season. If Lamar is looking for DeMarco money he can walk.

Get Mathis in here for a couple years. Weddle or Reggie Nelson. They're still productive and shouldn't break the bank.

So tired of making a splash with huge FA contracts only to see it blow up in our faces.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 08:29AM

We are also tired of letting good players go and then they become great somewhere else.

Tedd Ginn is going to play in the superbowl in a couple of weeks.

He played well in the championship game.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: January 25, 2016 08:52AM

808phan Wrote:
> You are so right berk. AMEN!!!
>
> I see these former Dolphins players contributing
> to other teams and shake my head.

Me too!!!

Date: January 25, 2016 09:12AM

Ginn has played for 2 or 3 other teams since leaving miami. He's still the same player with a better team.

What other Miami FAs have gone on to be great elsewhere?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 25, 2016 09:17AM

Date: January 25, 2016 09:19AM

I understand the frustration of watching good players get sent packing....

Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker and players of that caliber but....

Let's not get carried carried away on Ted Ginn Jr. He is in his 9th year in the league, 30 years old and has averaged 392 yards per season and 2.3 TD's per year. The Panthers sent him packing two years ago as well as the Cardinals and 49ers. He had fewer yards this year than he had in his 2nd year in Miami.

He was overdrafted in 2007 when we had MANY, MANY other holes to fill. It was the low light of one of the worst drafts in history and he was taken ahead of players like.....

Patrick Willis (we had Channing Crowder)
Marshawn Lynch (we had Ronnie Brown)
Darrelle Revis (We had Will Allen and Travis Daniels)
Joe Staley (we had Vernon Carey at LT)
Greg Olsen (we had David Martin)
Eric Weddle (we had Renaldo Hill)

...and a host of better players.

(We got lucky with Paul Soliai in round 4 and Brandon Fields in round 7. Those are the highlights of our entire draft)

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 25, 2016 09:23AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 09:56AM

chren and joe answered the question....

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 26, 2016 01:27PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Ginn has played for 2 or 3 other teams since
> leaving miami. He's still the same player with a
> better team.
>
> What other Miami FAs have gone on to be great
> elsewhere?

jsm...why limit it to "great?" Many of the players Miami let go or traded have been good to very good.

As I mentioned on another thread...Incognito was just named to the Pro Bowl.

As far as Ginn goes...he has improved in all areas. It just took him awhile, and like you said, he is on a better team.

Date: January 26, 2016 05:33PM

I've never seen a bigger mockery than the 2016 Pro Bowl!

Two players on Miami deserved to go....Jones and Suh. That's it!

Landry had a very good season. Pro Bowl? with 4 TD's? To replace Antonio Brown? NO...

Now they let Teddy Bridgewater and his 15 TD's in? What a joke.

Incognito was pretty good but he deserved it about as much as Brent Grimes and Pouncey. It's all the name game today.

Date: February 12, 2016 09:14AM

I was just looking at the top salaries for right tackles and guards. surprisingly, top guards are making more money as a group. That leads me to....

Mitchell Schwartz as a FA addition. If we gave him 8 mil he would be among the top 2 deals in the league. I don't think he gets that much. He's started every game for 4 years (rookie deal) and is 26 years old.

Hell, throw in his brother Geoff at guard and we just got better. I'm sure they would love that. Geoff will probably get 3 mil. Mitchell about 7.

It's almost cheaper than signing a guard since Osemele will probably get an all time deal...close to 9 mil.

LT Albert
LG Schwartz
C Pouncey
RG James
RT Schwartz

Date: February 13, 2016 09:04AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I've never seen a bigger mockery than the 2016 Pro
> Bowl!
>
> Two players on Miami deserved to go....Jones and
> Suh. That's it!
>
> Landry had a very good season. Pro Bowl? with 4
> TD's? To replace Antonio Brown? NO...
>
> Now they let Teddy Bridgewater and his 15 TD's in?
> What a joke.
>
> Incognito was pretty good but he deserved it about
> as much as Brent Grimes and Pouncey. It's all the
> name game today.

That's part of the reason why I no longer waste my money to attend the Pro Bowl.

That and also it now being before the Super Bowl as well as it's silly Fantasy Football format.

There's no reason to try to win except getting payed 55k instead of 28k for having the whistle blown as soon as an opponent touches you. The good times will never return when the players actually gave a shit and made a real effort to win.

Date: February 15, 2016 08:51AM

The NFL salary cap for 2016 is expected to be in excess of 155 million dollars. That's 5 mil more than they originally expected for this year.

This makes it even easier to re-sign Miller and Vernon.

If you count up all the expected moves (including restructure of Suh), we could have 40 mil in cap space this year. That's before they even do anything with Wake, Jordan Cameron and Grimes.

I believe as of today we have between 8 and 8.6 mil in cap space with the old 150 mil cap projection.

Let the FA frenzy begin! (in 3 weeks).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2016 08:56AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 16, 2016 01:41AM

Date: February 16, 2016 03:27AM

That's probably because most are projecting Vernon to get between 12 and 15 mil per year. Miller is at 5 mil tops. (No way would I give Vernon that much money.) Not at 7.25 sacks per year?

It's amazing to me that this FO (and the last two) always signed players either too early or let the good ones walk. They should have re-signed Vernon last year when they could have gotten him for 9 or 10 mil.

They should have waited on Tannehill. He would have been much cheaper after the 2015 season compared to 2014.

Date: February 16, 2016 04:06AM

In addition to that, joe, they've spent big on quick fix FAs only to release them and eat their big contracts 2 years later.

I wouldn't give Vernon more than 10mm and Miller more than 4mm per year.

And welcome back, holic.

Date: February 16, 2016 04:55AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 16, 2016 04:56AM

thumbs up

Date: February 16, 2016 05:08AM

I would give Vernon a deal in between the Derek Wolfe and Vinny Curry deals.

That's about 9.5 mil per year and 20 mil guaranteed. 4 year, 38 mil deal.

2016: 8 mil cap hit
2017: 9 mil cap hit
2018: 10.5 mil cap hit
2019: 10.5 mil cap hit

750k per year incentive for 10 sacks
1 m for 15 sacks

You have to realize the market and the fact the cap has gone up drastically in the past few years. 155 mil this year. 143 mil last year.

Vinnie Curry just inked a 5 year deal for $47,250,000. That's $9,450,000 on average and $23,000,000 guaranteed. He is two years older than Vernon.

That's 12.5 mil we pay this year for both players and we will have 40 mil in cap space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 05:09AM by JoeFootball.

Date: February 16, 2016 05:20AM

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.