HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Tannehill Really that bad? Not so Sure
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is Tannehill Really that bad? Not so Sure
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 05:17PM

I am one of the few who truly believe that Tannehill is actually doing very well at least for a stats point of view.

Last 3 years:

2015. 4208 yards 24 tds 12 interceptions. Improved long throws 87.7 QB rating
2014. 4045 yards 27 tds 12 interceptions. 92 QB rating
2013. 3913 yards. 24 tds. 17 interceptions 81.7 QB rating

That is 8253 yards 51 tds 24 interceptions over the past 2 years...and probably a 90% QB rating

He has started every game in 3 seasons!

The only thing that he lacks is being clutch. Putting his team on his shoulders in the 4th quarter ,,,,and driving down for either game tying or game winning scores.
He has done it a few times over his career...just not enough.

If Adam Gase can get him to run more on 3rd down,,,,(use his legs to scramble for first downs) ,,,he will be almost unstoppable!

Gase has got to get him to scramble more,,,use the read option....etc.

Not sure what quarterback in the league is gonna have better stats over the past 2 years!

If he scrambles more on third down, the opposition will blitz a lot less,,,,

I am one of the few who still does believe in Tannehill!
Get him a decent offensive line,,, get him to use his legs more,,,and then let's see how he does!

Anybody else agree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Tannehill Really that bad? Not so Sure
Date: January 15, 2016 06:00PM

Yes! You have just earned a place at the kegorator!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:27AM

Sure, RT has improved since being drafted...there is little evidence to the contrary. However, he still has ample room to grow and improve. I want to see him finally behind a good line and be surrounded by a good running game and supported by a good defense.

Then we'll see exactly what we have.

I just hope the new front office can make all of that happen while everyone is still young.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 16, 2016 04:54AM

Well ken, I'm sure every fan of every team would like to see that for their QB. What I'd like to see is the instincts to move around in the pocket to buy time when the line breaks down.

Every QB in the league will have at least moderate success surrounded by what you're asking for. What makes the good ones great is succeeding when one of those facets breaks down.

I saw it one game last year in a loss to the Giants. That's the QB I want. No we didn't win but Tannehill kept us in that game by making something out of nothing. He needs to study that game and learn from it.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 16, 2016 07:50AM

from a pure stats point of view he looks fine. however a lot of those numbers seem to come at the end of games in garbage time, not in the beginning.
my main issue with RT unfortunately is something I don't think he can fix. He lacks the "it" factor of getting the team on his shoulders and leading them, making the clutch pay at the right moment when everything is falling apart around him. And he lacks QB instincts, knowing just when to step up, duck away, etc., the all the great ones have, he just completely lacks that. I guess it's b/c he didn't play the position in college but I am thinking that he's now started 4 full seasons at the NFL level, so that equates to a 3 year starter in college (actually no, b/c the level of play here is so much higher) plus one in the pros. So he's now played enough QB at the high level as many 1-2 year QBs and many of those possess the skill he lacks (look at Winston who played only 2 years in college and one in the pros).
I don't think Gase or anyone else can fix that, you either got it or you don't. Maybe he will prove everyone wrong next year but I have strong doubts.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 16, 2016 10:40AM

I think Tannehill could have more success with better coaching. Hopefully Gase and his staff will be a good fit for RT17. So far he's had to learn how to be an NFL QB with substandard coaching and support.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 16, 2016 12:06PM

Meaning Joe Philbin of course.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:18PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meaning Joe Philbin of course.

Yup. Him and his coordinators.

Date: January 17, 2016 09:24AM

You don't throw for 4200+ yards without good skills. As I said,,,Gase and the new coaching staff needs to leverage TannY's legs... For a while in 2014 Ryan was having great success with the read option,,, yet the Dolphins stopped doing it to start 2015. BIG MISTAKE!! Tannehill is not a classic pocket passer. He needs to roll out and use his legs. On 3rd downs , his first thought should always be to run for the first down. Once he starts having success, then opposing defenses will start to back off from blitzing.

Hold tight everyone,,, I have a feeling that good things are coming for us soon.

Date: January 17, 2016 10:02AM

Maybe Gase will realize what you are saying Stevie and things will change. I hope so.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 19, 2016 07:58AM

I still believe in Tannehill but I would think the amount of times he has been sacked since his first year his sense of self preservation would have taught him the sixth sense to detect the rusher.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 19, 2016 08:02AM

So now we hear that Philbin decided he cannot win with Tannehill after the 2013 season. What does he do? He waits until days before the 2014 draft and then tells his ass. coaches and GM he is done with RT and wants Derek Carr.

Now, it's entirely too late for management to alter their draft board and start looking at QB's.

What an idiot!

That doesn't make me think any less of Tannehill. To the contrary, it almost makes me think he is even less of the problem with Philbin being more to blame.

What affect does this have?

Now Lazor, with input from the boss, starts thinking that he cannot trust Tannehill and that he is not in the long term plans. He limits what he can do in his new offense and doesn't really fully commit to the continuation of Ryan's development. Not that Lazor was even capable to begin with....

Tannehill starts the season like crapola for the first three games where we go 1-2 and the whole Philbin fiasco starts prior to our Oakland game. Remember when he refused to name Tannehill starter? Tannehill then goes on to have a great game and win 4 of the next 5 games AND 5 of the next 7 games despite his pathetic coaches.

By this time, the defense has been exposed (by Denver) and we lose 4 of the next 6 games.

Tannehill finishes the season with the highest QB rating of his career (93) all without the support of his OC, HC as well as the Offensive line and mediocre receivers.

So glad we are rid of this clown. No, I take that back. he is not good enough to be a clown....ass. clown!

Date: January 19, 2016 03:53PM

Joe,

You are exactly right! Philbin and the coaching staff limited tannehill. I'm super surprised Aaron Rogers was able to develop with philbin as well...
Hoping that the new coaches will utilize tannehill to his strengths,,,and roll him out more. Use the read option as well.

Date: January 19, 2016 07:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.