HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Interesting tidbit to come out, Philbin wanted to draft Carr
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Interesting tidbit to come out, Philbin wanted to draft Carr
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 07:14AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting tidbit to come out, Philbin wanted to draft Carr
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 10, 2016 07:45AM

Joe Philbin is the type of guy who buys a new car when his gets a flat tire because he couldn't figure out how to work the jack.

Date: January 10, 2016 11:51AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe Philbin is the type of guy who buys a new car
> when his gets a flat tire because he couldn't
> figure out how to work the jack.

Bingo. Laundry turned out to be one of the best offensive picks of the last decade IMO. James is allright.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 10, 2016 03:05PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:00PM

Can't say his instincts necessary wrong re tannehill. Time will tell whether he's salvageable. But taking a first round qb 3 years after drafting on in the top 10 would have been asinine. Tell me why Ross not only kept him around but extended him? What a garbage coach

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:38PM

Date: January 10, 2016 09:47PM

Looks like a typo in the article.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 03:26AM

While Philbin may be right about not wanting Tannehill, if true IMO this proves that he was clueless as a Head Coach. If I'm the HC and I don't like/trust my QB, we're going to run the ball, and then run some more. We're going to get big strong o-linemen and keep running the ball until I get a new QB. But not Philbin. He had his perfect system in his neat little binder, and there was no deviating from his short pass based system. A real Coach would have adapted to keep his job and lobbied the owner and GM for a new QB.

Date: February 15, 2016 09:35AM

Date: February 15, 2016 09:50AM

Carr has been sacked 55 times in his career. T-hill was sacked 58 times in his second year alone.

Besides, I thought all that mattered for QB's was W:L

Carr 10-22
RT 15-17

I like Carr but the Raiders are on the rise due to good FO moves and coaching as well as finding a QB. Can you say that about Miami's management?

Date: February 15, 2016 05:37PM

JoeFootball Wrote:

> I like Carr but the Raiders are on the rise due to good FO moves and coaching as well as finding a QB. Can you say that about Miami's management?

Hell no. I have zero faith in Miami's management until they prove they're competent. I fully expect our Dolphins to be bottom dwellers in the AFC East once again regardless of how much upside RT17 has. With that said, I'll put my ass on the line right now & predict this team won't even be a wildcard.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 16, 2016 12:23PM

808phan Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I like Carr but the Raiders are on the rise due
> to good FO moves and coaching as well as finding a
> QB. Can you say that about Miami's management?
>
> Hell no. I have zero faith in Miami's management
> until they prove they're competent. I fully expect
> our Dolphins to be bottom dwellers in the AFC East
> once again regardless of how much upside RT17 has.
> With that said, I'll put my ass on the line right
> now & predict this team won't even be a wildcard.

With the new coaching staff, new philosophies, and new players, I have no hope that Miami will even sniff the playoffs. They will probably start off very slow and (hopefully) start to build up to look like a team that knows what they are doing and can give every team they play a battle. Hopefully they will be good enough to play the spoiler role in the last quarter of the season.

I want to see RT improve his game. I want to see an improved OL. I want to see a defense that does what it has been paid to do. I want to see good coaching.

I hope I'm not asking for too much.

Date: February 17, 2016 06:07AM

More than anything I am curious to see the difference in coaching staffs. I have a sneaking suspicion that most of us are right about Philbin and his staff being absolutely terrible.

I mainly want to see that T-hill is capable of more and that would be a step in the right direction. To improve on a couple 4k/26 TD seasons is a great thing.

The part that worries most of us (I think), are the unknowns in the front office. Can they acquire top talent in the draft and FA?

This season will be the final straw and expose Tannenbaum if he is not able to fill out this roster and get at least 3 more wins. Especially if Gase gets T-hill and the offense turned around.

Date: February 18, 2016 03:44AM

This explains alot.it's obvious Philbin didn't like Ryan.so he didn't protect him or ever place him in a situation to succeed. Look for Ryan to Explode this season. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 03:53AM

NO TCPF philbin told tannehill to throw ints and stink like he did.

Philbin didnt want to keep his job....He wanted the dolphins to fire him like they did...eye rolling smiley

Date: February 18, 2016 04:14AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> This explains alot.it's obvious Philbin didn't
> like Ryan.so he didn't protect him or ever place
> him in a situation to succeed. Look for Ryan to
> Explode this season. smileys with beer

I don't know whether or not JP disliked Ryan or not but it seems to me he just let his coordinators run things. Probably gave them too much control and didn't step in when he noticed issues. I don't think he had any balls. The whole thing is beyond belief when you think about it.

The OC and HC didn't trust Tannehill so they abandoned the run and made him pass the ball more? Huh?

Pass attempts:588
Rush attempts:344

By comparison, our opponents ran the ball 502 times. We were last in the league in rush attempt.

Even mild mannered, Philbin favorite, Greg Jennings came out and said the coaches were the problem.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:42PM

I don't see how not believing that your QB has the capacity to call protections and call audibles is related to run/pass ratio.

One is an offensive philosophy. The other is trust in your player based upon what you've seen in practice and what you've heard from them during film study.

Date: February 20, 2016 06:11AM

It's related because you either trust your QB or you don't. No one is going to convince me that Ryan Tannehill is not smart enough to call an audible on the field after he reads the defense. His intelligence has never been an issue. Actually quite the opposite. He's always been praised for it as well as his work ethic. He puts the time in.

They showed more trust in him by making him throw the ball every down. It sounds more like the "offensive philosophy" was the problem, not Tannehill.

Did anyone see innovation, instinct or insight from the coaching staff or did they see delusion? How do you run the ball 12 times when your RB is gaining over 5 yards per carry?

Lazor was fired after two straight losses in which Lamar Miller ran the ball 7 and 5 times respectively. 7 and 5! The game with 7 attempts, he averaged 6 yards per carry....so naturally, they abandoned the run. Huh?

The week after JP's firing, Lamar ran the ball 19/113/1 and 14/175/2 for two straight wins. Even after this showing they reverted right back to the same ole crap.9 carries, 12 carries and two straight losses.

The week following the firing of Lazor, Tannehill threw the ball 19 times and Miller ran the ball 20 times for 113 yards. We won. Then it was back to the same ole, same ole. Runs of 12, 9 & 15 in 3 straight losses.

It's related because it makes absolutely no sense to say we don't trust you to audible but we trust you enough to make the offense one dimensional and put the game squarely on your shoulders.

It was the coaching that should not have been trusted.

Date: February 20, 2016 10:16AM

Date: February 21, 2016 09:39AM

ChyrenB Wrote:

> As much as I disliked Philbin as a coach, I
> believe that a coach's task is to 1) indicate what
> he needs in the draft and 2) if he knows as much,
> indicate WHO he wants in the draft.

I too think Philbin stunk as a head coach. With that said, I feel that even if he got his wish and the Dolphins drafted Carr, Joe Philbin would have found a way to make him stink or any other QB for that matter. I'm not worried about RT17 now that Gase in on board. Whatever "coaching up" RT17 needs I feel that Gase can make that happen.

I feel strongly that the biggest weakness this team has had in recent years is the inability to game plan and make adjustments for opponents. I can't remember when it was, but quite a few years back our DC was well prepared for Tom Brady. Our corners played "bump and run" the entire game and there was a lot of blitzing with most of the formations having 5 DB's. I recall Brady being completely rattled the entire game and a few years later in an article him saying that was the best defense he'd played against and that his timing was thrown off for the entire game.

Under Philbin this team didn't adapt like that.

Date: February 24, 2016 06:42PM

True, 808, he would have screwed up Carr but I was talking from a standpoint of proper procedure.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: February 26, 2016 03:14PM

Smh, we drafted sum goon over Carr, teh lulz.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: February 27, 2016 05:26AM

Ehh... I don't want to get forced into a position of defending Philbin here because I hated the hire from the get go and every bit of information that came out about how he was running this team just cemented my hatred for him before we even played our first game.

Having said that, if Tannehill had demonstrated the ability to take on more responsibilities in practice and in the film room, I think he would have gotten it on game day.

Why do you think Philbin wanted to move on from Tannehill and draft Carr? Carr isn't more physically gifted than Tannehill, just the opposite. So why would Philbin want to make that sort of swap? The only reason I can think of is what goes on over the shoulders. That Philbin didn't believe Tannehill had the mental capacity to be a franchise QB.

Has nobody read Gase's comments about Tannehill this week? That the level of responsibility that Tannehill gets is a work in progress and will evolve? That he's not expecting to allow Tannehill to call audibles and run the entire offense the first week of the season?

There's nothing at all out of line with Gase's comments. That's what any O/Cor would do. You get the guy in the system, you get them familiar with it and you slowly give them more and more responsibilities as they prove they can handle it.

Do you really believe that wasn't the same case with Sherman and Philbin? Is that actually likely? Or is it more likely that they followed the same course of action that Gase is talking about but that there was a point where Tannehill never demonstrated he was capable of successfully taking that next step and having full command over the offense?

Just because Philbin sucks doesn't mean Tannehill doesn't as well.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 27, 2016 05:35AM

good points and that's why I've said plan b should start this year.

Get a QB in this year's draft...3rd or 4th...to learn the offense. If Tannehill turns out to be the problem hopefull we won't be forced to reach for a round 1 QB next year and if we do, the process starts all over again.

Let the rebuild begin this year. Use the money that would have been spent on OV and Lamar on 4 or 5 players. Pick up some comp picks for next year when they become tradable. Let Grier and Gase shape the roster the way they see fit.

The problem I see with all of that is that pantload Tannenbaum. This is his time of the year to shine...to get his mug in front of the camera talking about his lastest overpriced FA being the savior.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.