HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          next HC
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
next HC
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 03, 2016 06:07PM

OK enough bashing.
Who do we think we should hire as next HC? I agree with the view that it needs to be someone who's done it before and not another first time coordinator, which would eliminate someone like Gase. I actually think I'd prefer someone like Pagano who did a decent job with the colts and actually came from a more disfunctional FO than we've got here. He seems like the "leader" type a la Campbell but with actually schematic skills and not a dweeb like Phiblin. I could also deal with giving McDaniels another shot but I don't see us offering him or him taking the job, but I think he will be a good coach his second go-around. I read today that we like Doug Marrone but that guy is meh at best and would give zero excitement if hired and I think Ross would avoid that. I don't think Hue Jackson would be interested since he could have offers from better organizations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: next HC
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 03, 2016 07:36PM

Why get rid of Campbell? I've heard no good reason. The fact that he was just the Tight Ends Coach is not a reason.

He's tough. He's young. and he won a game against New England when they had everything to play for.

If he could go this far with this group of players.........and you guys hope for the best from the draft..........why make a change.

Date: January 03, 2016 08:14PM

This far ? You mean win one game against a pats team more concerned with not getting Brady hurt than actually trying to win? That's juT the kind of thinking I am worried Ross will subscribe to and that's why this win today is so dangerous. It's the kind if thinking tgT caused him to extend philben after that meaningless win against the Vikings last year

Date: January 03, 2016 09:18PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 03, 2016 10:48PM

I think Campbell deserves a shot having a full off-season to prepare this team and the opportunity to obtain some quality coordinators who are more expert at X's & 0's than his current makeshift staff.

The players respect him and want him to be their head coach, so why change that? The right coordinators working with Campbell could make the difference that's missing here. I honestly think the right HC for this team is already in place; it's both coordinator positions that need to be filled now.

Quite frankly I'm tired of recycled head coaches who've been fired elsewhere, then suddenly expected to have this magic wand at their next gig. After all, they were all fired from somewhere to begin with for a reason.

So far Dan Campbell is the polar opposite of Joe Philbin, isn't that what we wanted? So what more do we want...someone who's in between the two of them? Who's out there that has the needed passion Campbell already brings and that the players would suddenly respect more & be more loyal to?

Interesting to see what Ross will do.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 01:48AM

I like Dan Campbell. The players love him too. Dan is familiar with the staff, the guys on the team how they perform doing what they do.

I feel Dan did well considering the circumstances. Took this team who was in ruins and began a bit of a turn around. This last Patsies game--the players won it for him. I even liked the husband/wife offensive coordinating team on this last game. It was great seeing the movement out of Tannehill, his throws on the run. The defense finally played with some fire and the incredible pressure on Brady was what Harvard saw when they thought this team was going to be good.

Keep Dan Campbell, maybe get an O-line coach to help out, and a Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach.

Date: January 04, 2016 02:42AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why get rid of Campbell? I've heard no good
> reason. The fact that he was just the Tight Ends
> Coach is not a reason.
>
> He's tough. He's young. and he won a game
> against New England when they had everything to
> play for.
>
> If he could go this far with this group of
> players.........and you guys hope for the best
> from the draft..........why make a change.

Boom. Exactly. We got ou Rd coach. The players respect him, I saw no foolish timeouts or mental errors. It was player mistakes, penalties, and conditioning that he had no control over in the previous season. We get the right players, he will whip them into shape. Watch. He will go elsewhere and do well otherwise.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 02:57AM

The word out this morning is that Campbell is out and that Ross and Tannebaum will be going in a different direction in the search for the new HC. That kind of suggests that none of the usual suspects are interested.
Maybe a positions coach from the Canadian league.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 04, 2016 04:21AM

As a courtesy, Dan Campbell will get a HC interview. That's appropriate. However, I'm certain there will be half a dozen interviews before someone is finally selected. Do, I like Campbell? That is yes, but do I think he'll be named the Dolphins HC? No, I don't.

Tannenbaum will pick somebody with more experience. It's simple as that. Whether it's a better pick than Dan Campbell remains to be seen.

I caught some of the post game nonsense talk by Ross. He's in left field, consequently, I don't have much hope in anything great happening to improve this franchise.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 04:23AM

I just hope they get a Coach who wants a tough, physical team that doesn't run a silly college offense.

Date: January 04, 2016 04:56AM

have you people been watching the same team? in practically every category there's been no improvement and even regression under Campbell. we came into this season expecting playoffs and wanting to run philben out of town for even an 8 or 9 win season if we didn't make the playoffs, and now we are praising cambpell for winning like 3-4 games? I see stupid undisciplined penalties all over the place. I see a team with no heart that lays total eggs against the jets and bills and others under Campbell and you see "discipline and toughness"? I see the players clowning in the locker room while grimes is being interviewed about his bitch of a wife, where is the leadership to know that that's just not a good look for a professional team?
Campbell has zero game management skills and makes horrible decisions with time outs, etc. We beat the pats yesterday, big whoop, news flash they were not even trying with that absurd game plan they called. All they cared about was not getting brady hurt and trying to avoid playing the steelers in the playoffs. But if you want to take that win and think all is well and overlook the 15 games that cam before, and hitch our next 3 years to an inexperienced coach who didn't do anything particularly well and who would not get hired even as a coordinator by any other team if we let him go----well then I don't know what to say. I demand better from this team and you should too.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 05:10AM

Interviews lined up this week:

Mike Shanahan
Adam Gase
Tyrel Austin
Doug Marrone
Campbell

I'd be OK with Shanahan as long as his son isn't part of the package.

Marrone would have a good chance at bringing Schwartz with him as DC.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 05:11AM

Phins are playing this right. I would give Campbell the courtesy interview and listen to what he would bring to the team. He would have to understand that its hard to hire a HC who has not been a coordinator. Also I do not want to retain one coach from the current staff Im firing all of the bastards. He would also have to name coordinators and position coaches that he would bring in. He would have to convince me that he is the man. I don't want a fire and guts general I want a tactical genius to lead my team.

As for the players right now screw them. They got paid to lose. If they want to be heard go out there and win some games. Right now go cash your checks buy cars boats strippers just get the hell out of my facility and make sure you are be back on time for off season workouts. This would be my new attitude if I owned this team.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: January 04, 2016 05:25AM

Everyone keeps making the Bowles comparison, I don't think it's there. Bowles had held paid positions in the NFL for almost 15 years, including coordinator and front office before being named to his first head coaching job this year. Not saying Campbell would be good or bad, but he hasn't paid the dues Bowles has paid. Except for the playing experience, Mike Shula is a LOT closer to Bowels resume than Dan Campbell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 05:28AM by KB.

Date: January 04, 2016 06:07AM

Interviews lined up this week:

Mike Shanahan - not convinced he can win w/ out Elway
Adam Gase - not ready to give him the keys
Tyrel Austin - see above
Doug Marrone - plain as vanilla but he could make the first cut

Campbell - I would call Jim Caldwell and see if he is interested in being my OC.

I hope this is just a first round for the Phins and round 2 would be OC currently in the playoffs, please don't rush this thing.

I would also check out Stanford's David Shaw I think he could cut it in the NFL. Has been a position coach in the nfl and his pops had a 20 year coaching career in the NFL. Watching Stanford play this guy appears to know what he is doing.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 08:35AM

Got to think Shanahan would be the most likely of that bunch. Does he still have the heart to be an NFL coach though?

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 08:49AM

The word out of where? I haven't heard any of this stuff anywhere so and you are apparently making unwarranted assumptions.

Rick

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 09:04AM

Shanahan !!!

Date: January 04, 2016 09:28AM

4545 those names came from the twitter feed on this site's home page.

schefter is reporting that we've asked permission to interview mcdaniels and matt patricia.

no thanks. it would be charlie weis and romeo crennel all over again. they ain't that good without belichick and brady.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 09:29AM

I hope whoever we get is able to hire Jim Schwartz to be our next DC... IMO that is what we really need is a stud DC... And Schwartz IMO is one of the best in the business... I just hope he doesnt get hired as a head coach...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 04, 2016 09:36AM

Not sure about Shanahan and a rookie GM. Shanahan wants total control and can split a locker room if things don't go his way. He did it with the Raiders and Redskins. Elway dislikes him. He was just as bigger an ahole than Snyder in DC. RGIII was trapped between aholes. Say what you want about RGIII but he busted his *** in DC that first year and Shanahan never supported him. He did not want to be in another situation like Pat Bolden and Elway. Where the qb and owner had a tight relationship. Both he and his equally twisted son both fed stories to the media on their own rookie qb who took them to the playoffs.

Tannenbaum and Grier had better know what they are dealing w/ here.
Buyer beware w/ this guy.

Date: January 04, 2016 09:49AM

every candidate has warts. hell, our FO is full of them. I don't think getting a guy that's had success in this league is a bad thing.

not saying I want Shanahan but we're really not in a position of power.

Date: January 04, 2016 10:10AM

That is true but we have made enough mistakes time to get things right. Not sure I would put a guy who was a cancer in 2 orgs as my front runner. I would evaluate more candidates. I want a powerful GM who understands the systems that the HC is running and brings in players that fit. I want the HC to understands his job is to develop the players and win games. Leave the personal issues to the front office. I don't want a HC bitching about needing his players and demanding that certain players be traded away because he does not like them. Shula coached according to his players. He had runners he designed a run based O likewise w/ the pass. GM brings them in the coach coaches.

Date: January 04, 2016 10:12AM

I live in DC and Shannehan and his kid as OC was a disaster. Both were pretty hated by the time they were run out of town.

Date: January 04, 2016 10:20AM

Per PFT Mike Smith is interviewing today.

Date: January 04, 2016 10:21AM

Date: January 04, 2016 10:22AM

I live in the BAL area and I did not hear good things regarding those 2.

However I do like Mike Smith he did good things in BAL, JAX and ATL. Good to see him get an interview.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 04, 2016 01:32PM

How about not trying their hardest? They did have something to play for, and I think that's why they risked Brady for as long as they did. However, running it at the rate they did in the 1st half was, I believe, an attempt to try w/o risking as much.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 04, 2016 01:45PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interviews lined up this week:
>
> Mike Shanahan - not convinced he can win w/ out
> Elway
> Adam Gase - not ready to give him the keys
> Tyrel Austin - see above
> Doug Marrone - plain as vanilla but he could make
> the first cut
>
> Campbell - I would call Jim Caldwell and see if he
> is interested in being my OC.
>
> I hope this is just a first round for the Phins
> and round 2 would be OC currently in the playoffs,
> please don't rush this thing.
>
> I would also check out Stanford's David Shaw I
> think he could cut it in the NFL. Has been a
> position coach in the nfl and his pops had a 20
> year coaching career in the NFL. Watching Stanford
> play this guy appears to know what he is doing.

College coaches.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think what happened with Chip Kelly may make teams wary of hiring a college coach, unless they have had NFL experience, in one form or another.

Shaw has indicated he is happy at Stanford. Could a pile of green make him happier in the NFL? We'll see.

I don't know if the Fins are interested in these guys or not, but I still say take another crack at Harbaugh. He may be ready to return to the NFL, especially if he gets an offer he can't refuse (money). Another guy I have mentioned many times is Jim Mora.

I'm not too sure about Shanahan, as his only real success was with the Broncos (and that was early in his HC career). Mike Smith may be a good candidate. I would definitely talk to Pagano if the Colts let him go. I don't think Payton is interested in Miami, if he decides to walk.

The assistants that have been scheduled for interviews or the Fins have requested permission to interview, I am lukewarm on. McDaniels and their DC (can't remember his name) won't be available until the Pats get knocked out of the playoffs. If that happens to be this coming weekend, then by all means. But, still not sure about them.

IMO, Gace hasn't done a lot to make me believe he would be the guy Miami needs. Shula? I don't know.

Date: January 04, 2016 01:47PM

brady threw like 3 passes in the first half. they barely threw to gronk. when they've tried against us, brady throws for 400+ yards and runs up the score. Yes we won, but to try to call this a great or meaningful win, or that we are not too far off from the pats, is delusional. and to try use this game as a basis for making decisions about the future of this team, is beyond short-sighted . the pats have a weak running game and great passing game, and tried to beat us exclusively on the ground and even took the lead at one point doing just that.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.