HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marino
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Marino
Date: January 07, 2016 05:05AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marino needs to bring his magic wand to be able to
> do anything positive for this organization...
>
>
> Nobody is going to do anything until ross sells
> the team.
>
>
> Some people here are blind and it starts with
> TCPF.

Lol. I'm blind, but your wishing for a magic wand.....eye rolling smiley Dude, check your meds.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 07, 2016 07:03AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 07, 2016 09:56AM

FYI- Marino has only been with the team about 1 year and 5 months...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 07, 2016 07:25PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > samsam3738 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Marino needs to bring his magic wand to be
> able
> > to
> > > do anything positive for this organization...
> > >
> > >
> > > Nobody is going to do anything until ross
> sells
> > > the team.
> > >
> > >
> > > Some people here are blind and it starts with
> > > TCPF.
> >
> >
> >
> > Lol. I'm blind, but your wishing for a magic
> > wand.....eye rolling smiley Dude, check your meds.
>
>
>
>
> Figure of speech.
>
>
> Like i say until ross sells team.
>
> Blind as an own in daytime.

Here is what I want you to think about sam, maybe its my fault for thinking you can actually ponder anything outside the box. eye rolling smiley

How much of Dan's Success , is actually contributed to Dan Himself? Think about it , Dan was passed up by several other NFL teams. If the Broncos or the Bills or the Jets picked Dan Marino how would his career have been different? None of those teams were Superbowl caliber. No doubt Dan was the spark that this team needed, but why Sam Sam didn't he get a championship? And how does that Mirror Ryan Tannehill today? Give Ryan that same caliber Oline and I bet he will pass for 5000 yds. But is even that going to give us any championships?

Not until we get a decent Defense once again. One that doesnt give up 45 points to the Offensives 42. This defense is Historically bad. Considering the amount of money spent on it......its just a huge downfall that this team needs to overcome . Not the long ball or Ryan Tannehill. He is perfectly capable of leading the Dolphins to a championship , not offensive records, but a championship if he gets the support needed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 07, 2016 08:25PM

But Treasure, Dan had Shula and Joe Robbe.

Tannehill has had Philbin and Ross.

Shula and Robbe knew how to put a team together.

Ross and Tannebaum don't.

Moreover, we are basically starting from scratch because despite drafting for oline since about 2008, we still have such a poor oline that when our only pro bowler, Pouncey, went out, not only did the whole oline fall apart but it took a week or so to find a dude who even knew how to shift the ball.

As far as our defense is concerned, we've got Suh but a lot of other injuries.

I'm not as hard on our secondary as some but the linebacking corp is <yawn>.

You'll be waiting for a long time for Tannehill if you're waiting for them to put Griese's line and defense or even Marino's line and defense behind him (Tannehill).

Moreover, I think you need to come to the realization that today's teams can't be put together like the Dolphins of old and the Steelers of ole or even the Buffalo Bills of the four straight afc championships.

Today, you need to get by with a few good elements of your team.

You are asking that we not critique Tannehill until he has Bob Griese's oline and team of running backs and the Killer Bees that David Woodley had.

Ain't gonna happen.

He's got to step up and rise above it.

Date: January 08, 2016 03:47AM

Quote:Give Ryan that same caliber Oline and I bet he will pass for 5000 yds.

You believe that and i believe if dan was the qb of the phins in 2015 we make the playoffs.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 08, 2016 04:39AM

If you really want to see how a good TEAM can win with an average QB...

if you really want to see the IMPORTANCE of the TEAM concept and it's ability to disguise the warts of a QB.....

...look no farther than this years playoff teams.

and by TEAM I mean players, coaches, front office..

Denver Broncos: Brock Osweiler played 8 games with 10 total TD's!!! and Peyton Manning with 9 TD's and 17 interceptions!!!!

Cincinnati Bengals: AJ McCarron played the last 5 games of the season

Houston Texans: Brain Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden!!!!

Kansas City Chiefs: Alex Smith threw for only 20 TD's

Pittsburgh Steelers: Michael Vick and Landry Jones for 5 games

Minnesota Vikings: Teddy Bridegwater threw for a WHOPPING 14 TD's!!!!!!!!

None of those guys in 2015 are as good as Tannehill. Get him something resembling a team with an actual NFL head coach with an NFL offense and we can win.

Stop expecting every QB that takes a snap in Miami to be Dan Marino.

Date: January 08, 2016 05:13AM

Date: January 08, 2016 05:37AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Joe nobody is expecting tannehill to be dan
> marino..

It sure sounds like you are expecting that when you bring it up in comparison all the time.

>
>
> The whole point of all this is this team is not as
> bad as some make it out to be...

Are you friggin kidding me? This TEAM is horrible. The defense is atrocious! You don't lose 10 games because of 1 player, who BTW, threw twice as many TD's as picks and was 9th in the league in production.

If you want to blame one guy that threw 2 TD's and 15 picks like Ryan Leaf did then I would understand but it sure seems you cannot see the forest through the trees.

>
> But with out a good qb we will never get
> anywhere....It doesnt matter who we sign what
> Olinemen we sign what players for defense we sign
> what coaches we sign....Doesnt matter.

Without a good TEAM we will never win. I just proved to you how important that in my last post but you choose to ignore the facts in front of you. If the QB is more important than the team please explain this years playoff teams. You cannot do it.

>
>
> At the end of the day Ryan Tannehill is still a
> wet firecracker and we cannot win with him because
> he is not good enough.

You choose to pick a fall guy and blame all the world's problems on one person. It's beyond ridiculous. if the Vikings can win with a QB who threw for 15 yards, we can win with one who threw for 24. A few bad games or throws does not make a season.

> IT Doesnt matter is we had a Pro bowl OLINE
> because at the end of games tannehill is going to
> choke like he always does....

and how would anyone know that? Again, more conjecture.

Date: January 08, 2016 06:32AM

Date: January 08, 2016 06:41AM

And he can throw 100 TDs.......But if when the 4th quarter comes and he folds like a wet firecracker..........Like he ussually does.....It doesnt matter.

Date: January 08, 2016 06:48AM

samsam3738 Wrote:

> And how would you know that tannehill is not the
> problem......He hasnt done squat to show that he
> is good enough to be in this league....

I'm unbiased enough to know that Tannehill was only a part of the problem ON OCCASION. He was not the main reason this team stunk this year.

>
>
> A good qb makes everyone around him better...

NO! a GREAT QB makes everyone around him better, not a good one. When you have an above average QB, IF YOU HAVE GOOD LEADERSHIP, you put a competent TEAM around him instead of relying on him to carry you!

He
> makes people around him worse with that slow
> release......The Oline looks like trash with that
> slow realease......He waits and waits and waits
> until he gets sacked......

It is Tannehill who makes the line look bad? That's just plain ridiculous. Next you are going to tell me that our patch work line is good...or that our guards are top notch.

> But you will see the light when he is out of this
> league.

He will not be out of the league for a long time.

>
> He is a bust. And we will never win a thing with
> him....

Complete an utter overreaction. Ryan Leaf was a bust.

> Next year we will sign different players all for
> nothing.

With any luck, yes But Tannehill will still be our QB.

You cannot win in this league without a
> good QB.

I just proved to you with examples of 8-10 QB's who were worse than Tannehill but you choose to ignore that part because you have no argument other than an emotional response.

PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THOSE QB'S GOT IN THE PLAYOFFS IF YOU CANNOT WIN WITHOUT A GREAT QB.

Date: January 08, 2016 07:10AM

And the same thing that happened this year is going to happen next year and so on until we draft a good enough qb.

We are going to be out of the playoffs once again and the supporting cast is not going to be good enough for tannehill.

The story will repeat itself next year and so on.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 08, 2016 09:38AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Joe nobody is expecting tannehill to be dan
> marino..
>
>
> The whole point of all this is this team is not as
> bad as some make it out to be...
>
> But with out a good qb we will never get
> anywhere....It doesnt matter who we sign what
> Olinemen we sign what players for defense we sign
> what coaches we sign....Doesnt matter.
>
>
> At the end of the day Ryan Tannehill is still a
> wet firecracker and we cannot win with him because
> he is not good enough.
>
>
> IT Doesnt matter is we had a Pro bowl OLINE
> because at the end of games tannehill is going to
> choke like he always does....

C'mon, Sam. What happened to you...you used to be a pretty poster?

Anyway, I have to disagree with you...you constantly compare RT to Marino. It just isn't fair to RT. Marino was elite where RT, at the moment, is good.

The team is not as bad as some are pointing it out to be? Are you kidding? You have been watching the games, right? How many of our guys were selected to the Pro Bowl? How many of our guys were getting abused on the field? The $114M man, Suh, played well, but not even close to his contract. The guy can't do it by himself. Give him some help, just like RT, and Suh all of a sudden becomes that guy that Miami expected him to be. This team is garbage, Sam, which is why there will be a major shakeup during the off season.

Yes, it does matter who Miami signs. Get at least two more good OL that will give RT time, along with opening up running lanes, and see what happens. Doesn't matter what coaches we sign? Then why didn't Miami keep Philbin? In fact, why did DC fire his two coordinators? Evidently, it matters.

RT doesn't choke at the end of games. Again, anyone who watches the games and understands the game of football, can see there are problems on both sides of the ball, along with coaching.

Sigh!

Date: January 08, 2016 09:42AM

Capkoi im just upset and annoyed every year we miss the playoffs because our team stinks.

Date: January 08, 2016 10:29AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But Treasure, Dan had Shula and Joe Robbe.
>
> Tannehill has had Philbin and Ross.
>
> Shula and Robbe knew how to put a team together.
>
> Ross and Tannebaum don't.
>
> Moreover, we are basically starting from scratch
> because despite drafting for oline since about
> 2008, we still have such a poor oline that when
> our only pro bowler, Pouncey, went out, not only
> did the whole oline fall apart but it took a week
> or so to find a dude who even knew how to shift
> the ball.
>
> As far as our defense is concerned, we've got Suh
> but a lot of other injuries.
>
> I'm not as hard on our secondary as some but the
> linebacking corp is .
>
> You'll be waiting for a long time for Tannehill if
> you're waiting for them to put Griese's line and
> defense or even Marino's line and defense behind
> him (Tannehill).
>
> Moreover, I think you need to come to the
> realization that today's teams can't be put
> together like the Dolphins of old and the Steelers
> of ole or even the Buffalo Bills of the four
> straight afc championships.
>
> Today, you need to get by with a few good elements
> of your team.
>
> You are asking that we not critique Tannehill
> until he has Bob Griese's oline and team of
> running backs and the Killer Bees that David
> Woodley had.
>
> Ain't gonna happen.
>
> He's got to step up and rise above it.

Dude be fair! Your not asking him to step up, you want him to leap a tall building in a single bound! Step up? 180 sacks in 3 yrs! Worst passing defense in the league . You said it yourself, He had Philbin and Ross. Give the guy a break.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 08, 2016 10:35AM

Yes TCPF we want him to step up and make a play in the 4th quarter to win a game for once.....

Posted by: KB ()
Date: January 08, 2016 10:55AM

Tannehill is not a 'bust' in the sense of Jamarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf. But, like Chad Henne, hes just not good ENOUGH. Sure, put him on a stacked team and he may go along for the ride for a season or two like Johnson on the 99 BUCS or Dilfer on the 2000 Ravens, handing the ball off and throwing slant passes on 3rd and 6. But thanks mostly to free agency, teams like those are hard to build and IMPOSSIBLE to keep together. They go for 2-3 years and then they are right back in the crapper without a 'franchise' QB. Tannehill is not good enough to be a 'franchise' QB.

Much scorn is heaped on that term - 'Franchise QB' by those who advocate rebuilding the 85 bears with Tannehill as our Jim McMahon. I don't know what others mean by it but here is what I mean:

A QB who can make a 'franchise' competitive and relevant for the better part of a decade. A guy who can; take a poor team and make them a team who may slip into the playoffs with a little luck, a guy who can make an average team a perennial playoff team or a good team a super bowl team, or a great team a dynasty (but like I say, in todays NFL those are rarer then a two headed nickel.)

A 'franchise QB' my be on a bad team that has a down year or two but he STILL makes a difference. He leads game winning drives. He takes the team on his shoulders every now and then for a series or just a down and keeps a drive alive. He makes stats WHEN IT MATTERS not against the prevent when you're down by 28 pts or between the 20's or against a vanilla defense in the preseason. As well, a franchise QB makes it eaiser to build everything else, you don't need GREAT receivers, you can do with average ones like Marino did A LOT. You don't need FIVE GREAT linemen, just 2-3 good ones, you don't need a defense that is shut down because you can score points!

No one thinks Tannehill is the ONLY sub par player on this team. But when we talk about 'filling holes', Not having a franchise QB in today's NFL is the BIGGEST ONE. Solving that problem will give more payback than solving any other 3.

And NO, I don't need another Marino or a Brady to be happy. To Wit: I consider Jake Long to be the worst Miami Dolphins draft pick of all time. Not because he was untalented but because, we had our first overall #1 since 1966, EVERYONE knew we needed a QB, and we leave two good prospects on the board to do what some of you here still want...'Get <insert scrubs name here> some HELP!! Build the line, shore up the defense! THEN 'pickup' a qb in the 2nd or third'. lol, how'd that work out?

- The Falcons hadn't had a winning season in 3 years. Ryan is drafted. IMMEDIATELY they became a playoff contender going to the playoffs 4 of the next 5 years including a conference championship game. They have had a couple of down years now but Ryan STILL makes a difference. Without him that is a 4-12 team at best. As well, he may have saved our undefeated bacon against Carolina with that game winning 4th qtr drive cumulating in a 70-yd BOMB to Jones - on target - when it mattered. Matt Ryan is a 'franchise' QB on a team that has went average to poor since he's been there.

- Ravens coming off a 5-11 season and ONE playoff appearance in 5 years. Flaco is drafted, FIVE straight playoff appearances and 6 in 8 years including three Conference championship appearances and a Superbowl trophy (Joe Flaco MVP). Joe Flaco is a franchise QB on a team that has been good to average during his tenure there.

- Miami Dolphins coming off 1-15 season. Draft Jake Long, some DE and 'pickup' Chad Henne. But Parcells has MAGIC up his sleeve! He brings in Chad 'glass arm' Pennington, a franchise level guy at the time but as injury prone as Hellen Keller running through a mine field. Immediately better rushing game (of course Ronnie and Ricky MAY have had something to do with that), 11-5 season, one playoff win, then back in to the crapper the next year (since Pennington gets hurt), no winning seasons since. Jake Long...Gone (no pun intended), now a journeyman, Chad Henne also gone, now a backup.

At least we DID try ONCE in the last 33 years:

2010 - Dolphins coming off a 6-10 season and no playoffs in 3 years draft...Ryan Tannehill. FOUR years later, STILL no winning seasons, no playoffs and our record is STILL...6-10.

I don't blame us for drafting Tannehill, I was all for it, you can't fix a problem if you don't address it. But I'm sorry, it has failed, four years later, its time to admit Tannehill is NOT a difference maker at QB. Todays NFL is a bad place to be without one.

Date: January 08, 2016 11:19AM

Date: January 08, 2016 11:20AM

You couldnt had said it better.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 08, 2016 11:32AM

Nailed it!!!!!!!!!

Date: January 08, 2016 11:36AM

Whoever disagrees with that is blind.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 08, 2016 12:00PM

I don't know if I've ever read a better description of what a franchise QB is and isn't. Good job.

Date: January 08, 2016 02:29PM

Ok then, I respectfully beg to differ. Wins losses is one thing. With the Historically bad stats of our oline, and our defense no QB alive could thrive here.

Also the Teams mentioned with the same record are in much easier divisions. The Ravens in the AFC North only had the Steelers to contend with and the Falcons in the AFC South only had the Saints.

Tannehill is being thrown into a lions den. No support on either end of the ball. No coaching , no consistency in programs and players. On top of it all......shitty fans and a stadium full of other teams fans.

Yeah Flacco wouldn't have been all that either. And considering all the above....180 sacks in 3 yrs.......he has stayed healthy, positive , and done an admirable Job.

No Rookie QB , even with the #1 pick will do better with this Oline and this defense. No free agent either. We need to address it gentlemen. And I'll say it again because I believe it has merit to my point, Not even Marino was able to overcome the bad defense. And he had a great Oline. And Our Defense is much worse .sad smiley

AND this ain't the atmosphere that we had in the Orange bowl and Philbin isn't fit to paint Shulas house.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 02:31PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: January 08, 2016 03:20PM

Date: January 09, 2016 04:29AM

And run he did last Sunday. thumbs upWhat's your point?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 09, 2016 07:32AM

Well it seems our new HC disagrees with some of you about our QB. I just heard that Miami was his target from the start and he only interviewed with the Giants as a formality.

He wanted to come here because of Ryan Tannehill and the young group of WR's.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: January 09, 2016 07:44AM

Date: January 09, 2016 11:58AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Capkoi im just upset and annoyed every year we
> miss the playoffs because our team stinks.

I hear ya, Sam, and I believe I have been a Dolphins fan longer than you, so I have seen both the ups and downs, but regrettably, way too many downs.

You hit it on the head, Sam..."...our team stinks." That's what you should have been saying all along instead of pointing your finger at one guy, Tannehill.

Date: January 09, 2016 12:07PM

Phins5.0 Wrote:
> And run he did last Sunday. thumbs upWhat's your
> point?
>
> Come on, really? You don't know my point?
>
> It's no different than when we unleashed the
> wildcat on the NFL and then other teams started
> putting it in their playbook as well. Except, a
> few teams said "Uh, that's stupid. There's no way
> I'm taking the ball out of the QB's hands"
>
> To say that your QB "is tough" and "needs to run
> more" is horrible. What your QB needs to do is
> have better pocket presence, better pre and post
> snap reads, make decisions more quickly and get
> rid of the ball more quickly.
>
> Running better? That's all the way down on the
> list. Saying that he's tough? As a positive? I'd
> much rather have my QB's positive be that he makes
> quick decisions and gets rid of the ball. Not
> that when he gets sacked while he's sitting there
> trying to figure out what to do with the ball that
> he gets back up again and is fine.

Phins5.0, you have put some pretty good posts here, but, IMO, this is not one of them.

If you have been watching the games, you should have seen that the majority of the time, RT doesn't have that luxury of making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball.

If you mean quick decisions as to knowing where he is going quickly, well, if he were to make his progressions, he is flat on his back. The present OL can't give him that kind of time. Get rid of the ball quickly? Again, if we equated finding his receiver with the amount of time the OL gave him, the pass would be either (1) intercepted (2) thrown away or (3) a 2 yard gain.

Then do you know what you would be reading on this board? He stares down his receiver...he doesn't go through his progressions...he can't throw the long ball. Of course, that's what has been said on this board since RT was drafted.

Anyway, let's hope that Gase can help RT improve his game (but mostly, get good players around RT that can help him).

Assistant coaches are going to be key for Gase to have any success.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.