HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Resting Players
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Resting Players
Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:11PM

Dan Campbell probably won't do this because he is fighting for a job, but it would be in the teams best interest to rest or limit the reps of a few critical player in the last two games. Albert, Landry, Suh and Jones would be on my list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resting Players
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 04:47PM

meh, how critical are they anyway? we're not resting anyone who's not injured and I get the sense that even though pouncy and albert are hurt they're gonna try to trot them out there.
I would like to see Logan Thomas take some snaps, as one of the posters on here mentioned, but it's not gonna happen either

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 23, 2015 06:50PM

Rest for what? I could see the logic in it if the division and home field advantage were clinched, but no. There is no playoff run whatsoever. Not even a wildcard. These guys need to earn their pay.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 23, 2015 07:44PM

One argument is that we need to see what the non-starters on our team can do. Philbin kept them all on the bench and while still in the hunt, Campbell had to rely on 1st stringers to the extent he could. Since we're out of it, play the unknowns.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: December 24, 2015 04:44AM

After seeing Albert go down last game, I feared the worse. We don't need another injury on a key player that takes 1 year of rehab. Suh may not be the game charger we expected, but he isn't playing that poorly and Miami is on the hook for 2 more years no matter what and he takes up 28.6 million of cap space next year. A major injury in two meaningless games would be a big blow for next year. It allows the coaches to evaluate young talent and probably indirectly allows the team to lose games without throwing games.

Date: December 24, 2015 05:32AM

We have NO Oline as if is.....Rest Albert AND Pouncy you are signing Tannehills death warrant.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 08:24AM

There's no reason to rest any of these players, none of them are very good.

So what if Albert or Pouncey get hurt? They get hurt all the time anyway, they are paid as if they are the best in the NFL, and even if they are - their performance isn't enough to actually make a difference in the win column and teams lesser LT's and OC's are performing better on offense (passing and running) and are in the playoffs.

Same with Suh. Doesn't matter. As I said in a different message, Suh has been graded as one of the top DT's in the league this season by PFF. He's still not making a game changing impact because he's only one guy, playing a position at DT that is very difficult to be game changing. But, so what if he gets hurt? The defense is pretty damn bad even with him playing that well. So what if he gets hurt these last two games and has to miss half of next season? It won't matter. Next season we won't have amassed enough talent to make the defense a strength anyway.

Play them all, that's why we're paying them. If anybody gets hurt, what does it matter? It's not like we're playoff contenders and an injury is the difference between a championship or not. We suck, we aren't even close to being a playoff contender let alone a championship contender. Any injury to us, does what? Makes us suck worse? We're staring down a Top ten pick and haven't had a winning season in 7 years.

We don't have players on this team that are worth their contracts, let alone players that are so valuable we need to worry about them getting injured and not contributing. Albert, Pouncey, etc.. will contribute just as much to our W/L record on IR as they have contributed when being on the field.

Date: December 24, 2015 09:29AM

you make very good points, 5.0. but if they do get hurt, it matters only from the perspective that we need to replace them but are still on the hook from a salary cap perspective.

Date: December 24, 2015 09:46AM

So since we suck anyway, let our few good players get hurt and add to the problem. Great logic.

Moreover, we still lose the opportunity to see what bench players can do in extended playing time in actual game situations. Another bit of great logic.

And, of course, this is all in light of the fact that we are out of the playoffs anyway.

Great logic.

Date: December 24, 2015 09:47AM

I agree, bench 'em all

Date: December 24, 2015 10:30AM

Date: December 24, 2015 11:44AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 24, 2015 12:34PM

dgoodhue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan Campbell probably won't do this because he is
> fighting for a job, but it would be in the teams
> best interest to rest or limit the reps of a few
> critical player in the last two games. Albert,
> Landry, Suh and Jones would be on my list.

I don't think Campbell will "rest" any of his players, however, like he has been doing over the last few games, he is putting backups in the games to see what they have. I am somewhat surprised as we all know that DC is fighting for his job. Normally, a coach in his situation, plays the starters all the way, hoping they can give him enough wins to (hopefully) keep his job.

I wonder if that is DC's decision, or the FO forcing him to play the backups?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 12:47PM

At 5-9 you don't have the luxury of resting anyone. They're not that good.

If you want to rotate some young guys in, fine. I get that but no one has earned the right to get a paid week or two off.

Date: December 24, 2015 04:05PM

Great post, Cap. If the front office is forcing him to play backups, that might be a sign they will keep him, unless one figures that they plan to get rid of him anyway and now want to know what to dictate to the next coach in terms of ranking of talent.

Date: December 25, 2015 08:48AM

But these things have already happened? We are already playing Parker instead of Jennings and we are already playing Lippett instead of Taylor, both moves that Campbell made specifically for the reasons you are saying he should - to see what the future holds.

We've also seen numerous bench players get time due to injuries, at OC, at LT, at OLB at FS.

So, what else are you asking that Campbell does? This team has no depth. You want him to bench Tannehill and play the practice squad QB? Sure, why not.

Date: December 25, 2015 11:45AM

No if he's already done it, just keep doing it for the final two games. If we don't ALREADY know what all the vets can do, then we are hopeless.

But since we know what they can do, let's put all the second and third stringers in. Like I said, this should be the first game of the 2016 pre season.

errrr but when it comes to the Pats, go all out.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 27, 2015 08:52AM

Unlike many of us on this forum, the players on the roster want to win the game (even if that doesn't always appear to be the case when we watch them!). They want to win, they want to play. THey are getting paid to play....put them out there.

As was said earlier, we have no playoffs to rest anyone for...we'd be resting them for .... resting....during the offseason.

Let's play football!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:32AM

Date: December 28, 2015 09:03AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 10:18AM

quote: I know your a Dolphins fan through and through. But No offense (pun intended), I don't think you realize how the game is played and the concept of what a Team sport is

No offense at all taken..

I do know its a team sport....But i just do not believe tannehill is the right qb to take this team to the next level. even with a great OLine.

And he definetely has the receivers. He is just missing them left and right when he has the chance.

His confidence might be shut and thats a bad thing.

Overall i hope iam wrong and he becomes great but i lost all hope already...

Date: December 28, 2015 10:41AM

Treasure, blind loyalty can lead you to look upon thoughts of improvement to be treason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.