Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Want to know why Miami isn't a good team?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Want to know why Miami isn't a good team?
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 11, 2015 05:52AM

Veteran Acquisitions...

Louis Delmas (from IR to IR)
JD Walton (cut)
Jeff Linkenbach (always inactive)
Jacques McClendon (always inactive)
Kenny Stills (bust)
Greg Jennings (bust)
Kelvin Sheppard (bust)
Zach Bowman (cut)
Spencer Paysinger (ST player)
Brice McCain (ok)
Jordan Cameron (bust)
Earl Mitchell (bust)
Jason Fox (bust)
CJ Mosley (cut)

That's 31% of our game day roster and 26% of our full roster.

2015 draft class

DeVante Parker (training for 2016)
Jordan Phillips (training for 2016)
Jamil Douglas (training for 2016)
Jay Ajayi (22 carries)
Tony Lippett (played 1 game)
Cedrick Thompson (practice squad)

Now add these 5 to the roster and they're up to 44% of game day roster and 38% of full roster.

I think 3 players from this years draft class will make an impact next year but that doesn't help this year's team.

I don't know if our director of pro personnel is a total schmuck or if Hickey and Tannenbum are just not listening to him but our entire personnel department needs to be overhauled, starting at the top.

I don't care if you have Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Vince Lombardi leading your team....with moves like what this FO has done in FA and the draft, nobody fields a successful team. Frankly I'm amazed that we have a shot to go .500 again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to know why Miami isn't a good team?
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 06:05AM

Some of these players were ok for other teams. Cameron, Jennings, I thought McClendon showed he had game in camp, they sat him then cut him. Delmas has game but is injury prone, should have not signed him.

They don't stink until they hit MIA.Even Suh stunk earlier this season. We sign Albert and even when he is in the lineup our oline has no cohesion. Again I think its more coaching and schemes.

Date: December 11, 2015 06:33AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of these players were ok for other teams.
> Cameron,

Cameron has to stay in and block too often because of other poor players and has had too many key drops this year when targeted.

Jennings,

Jennings WAS a good player. He's clearly not the same player and he declined BEFORE he got here. That's how he got here.

I thought McClendon showed he
> had game in camp, they sat him then cut him.

That one I will almost give you because I don't understand why he hasn't gotten a shot. More likely than not it is something because even as coaches fall, the new ones still don't play him. Probably not much of a separation between him and a young player in pass pro so you go with the young player.

> Delmas has game but is injury prone, should have
> not signed him.

Should not have COUNTED on him as plan A either.

>
> They don't stink until they hit MIA.

That's not entirely true. Most are the same player. Mitchell was never more than a JAG, same for Sheppard and just about everyone on the list. Fox still sucks. It's that same ole theory of Sanity. Signing someone and expecting them to be something they never were.

Even Suh
> stunk earlier this season.

Or looked that way because Mitchell sucks, Wake was being misused on running downs and Vernon was playing hurt.

I'm not saying that coaching hasn't been an issue but he was also playing next to a bust who cannot beat one on one matchups. Our coaching was not good. I have said that many times.

We sign Albert and even
> when he is in the lineup our oline has no
> cohesion.

It's not really up to Albert to make the unit cohesive. He has struggled to get back in form all year and now is almost there and James gets hurt.

Again I think its more coaching and
> schemes.

That certainly hasn't helped. It's not like we have Belichick or Arians who can scheme around deficiencie.

So I agree it is not entirely the FO as coaching has been just as bad...but personnel is the core of the team and we are still talking about 1/2 the team who shouldn't even be here.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 07:49AM

well if you guys are going to throw around the poor coaching for our average QB shouldn't it be afforded to those players listed?

Bring in Sean Payton and those problems are fixed.

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 11, 2015 08:01AM

How so? It isn't like the Saints are doing anything. In fact, without a superstar QB they wouldn't have ever done it IMO.

Date: December 11, 2015 08:22AM

If Payton is so good why has he only won 11 games in two years? Can't he win with the talent he has? Why would it be any different here?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 11, 2015 08:41AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> If Payton is so good why has he only won 11 games
> in two years? Can't he win with the talent he has?
> Why would it be any different here?

Because he can't put bounties on other players anymore? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 11, 2015 09:22AM

I thought all we need is a new QB , perhaps a second stringer like osweiler
an we are playoff bound.........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 10:19AM

Moore = Osweiler.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: December 11, 2015 10:28AM

I was thinking the answer was because they don't have a good owner.

Date: December 11, 2015 10:35AM

Actually it's because this admin spent the farm on the defense that's not producing. They left nothing for the offensive line and the defense sucks like a Crack whore. Defense wins championships so I get the money spent, but it's just not producing.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 11, 2015 03:09PM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 05:58PM

I totally, completely and absolutely disagree with this. The defense isn't great, it's true. They do get the job done for a while, then the offense puts so much pressure on them by not getting even a few first downs strung together to give them time to rest and regroup that they fall apart and then as Rick Weaver used to say, its "Katie Bar the Door!". Of course, I was never too sure exactly what that meant, but it was always bad.

Rick

Date: December 11, 2015 06:28PM

Yeah, Rick. When I think back on our games, I remember being more mad at the offense than the defense.

Date: December 12, 2015 02:59AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Yeah, Rick. When I think back on our games, I
> remember being more mad at the offense than the
> defense.

How is that!? We watch 35-40 points put up by opposing teams by players with zillion $$$ contracts , and your upset because QB has no time to throw , or injuries are forcing bad snaps behind a terrible underpaid line? (Except for Albert )

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 12, 2015 04:08AM

Talented players on the field along with coaches that are equally talented teaching the fine points of the game are what the best teams have. Game day success--It all starts at the very top and slides down the food chain. If there's not much talent in the front office, don't expect much anywhere else on the team. The front office has to make good decisions consistently. This is not a game of "let's gamble on this FA, or this potential good player." With our front office it's always asking for another card when there's 19 showing in front of you. We draw the next card and wind up with an IR player, or a guy with a drug problem, or one whose lost 3 steps and no longer a starter on another team. Perhaps we pick up an average player who was cut thinking "ah hah, a real barn find" when it's a body only filling a position. Greatness starts at the very top. The Steelers have the wonderful Rooney family at the helm and they've done very well over the years. Decisions, good decisions...must be always be backed by good judgment.

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: December 12, 2015 10:49AM

colonel Wrote:
> Greatness starts at the very top. The Steelers
> have the wonderful Rooney family at the helm and
> they've done very well over the years.

Note that the Rooney family took 41 years to win a championship. Of course, then they won a shit-load more, but still...

Date: December 12, 2015 12:14PM

Treasure, we BOTH (both teams that is) had crappy defenses, the difference was that we Dolphins had a crappy offense as well.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 12:15PM

Do you watch the entire game? Last week and against the plowboys, the defense played well- to a point. That point was brought on, in both cases, by a totally inept offense. Against Dallas, the offense had two(2!) chances in scoring position in the first quarter. Not a damn point. The plowboys offense didn't score until later in the second quarter, but their first points were a pick-six by the offense. Pretty big hole they put us in. This week, the defense set up the only score for the offense, a short-field pass (admittedly a nice connection) on an interception and scored the other one themselves. All of the day's points were set up by the defense in a two minute period. The damned offense did very little else the rest of the game. You know the stats as well as I do. I was amazed that the defense held up long enough to win the game. That's how.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 12:16PM by dolphan4545.

Date: December 13, 2015 08:44AM

You mean the game where Lamar Miller ran the ball 7 times? And McFadden ran 29 times for 129 yards? Yes. I remember that.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 04:25PM

yes we have failed miserably at most FA acquisitions & the Draft

Date: December 14, 2015 11:23AM

Free Agent signings fall just behind the drafting in suckiness.

But we ARE consistant. Heh.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 11:30AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Moore = Osweiler.
>
> Isn't this ALSO YOU, SamSam........
>
> "A look at dolphins 2016, Schedule, Draft Etc.
> Tannehill is mediocre at best.
> Posted by: samsam3738 ()
> Date: December 02, 2015 12:15PM"
>
>
> ??????

And i stand by what i said chren.......Its just that i believe moore is even worse than tannehill....

Moore = Good kid but not very good qb.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: December 14, 2015 12:22PM

Two things really stand out to me.

On offense the lack of mid level passing game. Last year our offense was pretty successful running 10-15 year passes. I don't see any out patterns. Landry is good, but Wallace, Hartline and Clay were all more productive than current WR. Tannehill also worked with those receivers for pretty much his whole career prior to this years. I wonder if if we made too many changes not the offense that the chemistry disrupted.

The Linebackers on defense have either been banged up or ineffective. Misi seemingly is always banged up. Sheppard isn't the answer at MLB but that one is more on the teams, no one should have expected sheppard or any of the rookie FA to be next coming of Zach Thomas. Hell we probably would have been better of off with Dansby or Ellerbe...

Date: December 15, 2015 07:25AM

Yes... Landry is an excellent player but his route running ability is almost non-existant.
Cameron is a good receiver... don't know how they have 'meshed'.
Sims is not my kind of TE... but I am not the GM.

The defense is extra-weak right now. To stop the run they have to crash the LBs and charge the FS... a recipe for getting burned by the pass. This is what happened. Leaving Odell one on one doesn't work for any team lately. He is top-notch.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 19, 2015 07:30AM

Two things -

1) I don't know why Treasure keeps saying this over and over again after I've provided the info and provided a link to the proof, but our salary cap is almost exactly 50% on offense and defense. There has not been boatloads of money invested in the defense at the expense of the offense. This is simply untrue and I'm puzzled as to why Treasure keeps repeating this mantra after I've shown everybody the proof of reality.

2) The running game goes hand in hand with the passing game. If you can't make big plays in the passing game and all you have is a short passing game, any incompletion due to poor throw or dropped pass, or any penalty, is an immediate drive killer for a team that can't push the ball vertically. The Giants were able to run the ball THIRTY TIMES against us, despite averaging only 3.0 yards per carry. The reason? Because Eli Manning was damn near perfect in passing and was tossing the ball all over the field - short, intermediate and deep. The Giant's success in the passing game is what allowed them to stick with the running game even though it wasn't very successful.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 02:58PM

Need the ability to evaluate and select talent. Seahawks get more out of undrafted guys than we have out of the draft and FA, Tannehill is not an upper echelon QB. Need to look at Kevin Hogan at least for a backup

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 03:57AM

I still think our number one problem is the instability in the coaching department. There's no way to tell if our draft picks or free agents are busts if we don't have a coach that can get them to play together as a team.
It'll be interesting to see who they come up with in the offseason that doesn't demand total control.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.