HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft Paxton Lynch
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Draft Paxton Lynch
Posted by: FootballGod ()
Date: December 03, 2015 08:15AM

Is this an option? With Tannehill apparently not living up to expectations that some have, do we maneuver ourselves into picking up this guy to replace Tannehill in 2 years? I see what's going on in Denver, and even looking at Aaron Rodgers, qbs who sit for a few years before being thrown I to the fire tend to have a better chance for high level success. With our GM, anything possible. Good or bad.

Sigh...why can't we just make the playoffs?! Just one season I'd like to not hang my head in public when someone mentions the Dolphins! Damn it all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Draft Paxton Lynch
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 03, 2015 11:48AM

FootballGod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this an option? With Tannehill apparently not
> living up to expectations that some have, do we
> maneuver ourselves into picking up this guy to
> replace Tannehill in 2 years? I see what's going
> on in Denver, and even looking at Aaron Rodgers,
> qbs who sit for a few years before being thrown I
> to the fire tend to have a better chance for high
> level success. With our GM, anything possible.
> Good or bad.
>
>
> Sigh...why can't we just make the playoffs?! Just
> one season I'd like to not hang my head in public
> when someone mentions the Dolphins! Damn it all!

FG, I am not too keen on college football, so you will have to inform me as to who Paxton Lynch is.

But, is he that good that he can just step into an NFL huddle and lead that team to the playoffs (or at least a winning record)?

If he is that good, do you think he would be there when Miami picks?

Lastly, are you willing to pick a position that is not a real problem area compared to other positions on the Dolphins? RT is good enough, but needs help. Miami has way too many holes to fill to use their number one pick on a QB.

Posted by: CG ()
Date: December 03, 2015 01:12PM

Date: December 03, 2015 05:22PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 03, 2015 05:46PM

Lynch is a good qb. He had a good 2014 season as a sophomore. I think he is better than Bortles as a junior. Strong arm, can put the ball in tight places and consistently puts the ball in front of the receiver. Memphis runs the spread but I have some him under center a few times in games and looks as if he can handle that.

I would not mind having him but the qb I would draft is the kid from Michigan State. Check him out in the Big 10 championship game against Iowa and Iowa has one of the best defensive backfields I have seen this year.

Yep I think we should go for a qb in round 1 next year if Lynch or Cook falls to us.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 05, 2015 07:23AM

Lynch will probably be the first QB taken. As far as suddenly hyped players that played at small schools in spread offenses but caught fire and had all the NFL measurables, I'd compare Lynch to that guy they've got in Pittsburgh. Except for the cuddles with struggles, of course.

I like Cook, but its been difficult lately because I'm not sure just how injured he actually is.

I think there will be a legit 1st round QB available to us when we draft, and I'm very torn about whether we should do so or not. As much as I bash Tannehill and as much as I think we need a top QB to be a consistent playoff contender, the defense pisses me off so much I really want the team to spend its 1st and 2nd round picks on LBs.

Of course, not addressing the OG situation early will result in us having the same problems on offense with a QB who doesn't make quick decisions and has no pocket awareness. So I really don't know what to do. Get a better QB so we don't have to have an all-world OL, (but Tannehill is still under contract next year, no getting out of that), or spend valuable picks trying to build an OL that can give our sub-par QB the extra .5-1.5 seconds he needs to make decisions and deal with the fact that our defense is going to be horrible?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 06, 2015 12:57PM

I like Kevin Hogan in later rounds

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 10, 2015 08:25AM

A 'good' QB is hardly going to pull the 'Phins out of this mess.

A good QB is going to have many of the same problems Tannehill is having... without the time necessary for him to grow into the position. Stay with Tannehill (signed already anyway) and let him TRY to get better during the obvious rebuilding needed.

Just my opinion.

Date: December 10, 2015 10:14AM

A good qb is a neccessary building block for a team. We need that. I would have no problem bringing in a qb in round one even if he sits in 2016. If Tanne catches fire and turns it around then great we have trade bait. If Tanne does not turn it on we can cut bait after 2016 w/ not too much dead weight from his salary.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 10, 2015 10:45AM

Need to bring a qb from the draft with some potential...

One tannehill fears of losing his job to, that will push him to do better.

Tannehill will never fear losing his job to the scrub moore.

Date: December 10, 2015 11:44AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> A good qb is a neccessary building block for a
> team. We need that. I would have no problem
> bringing in a qb in round one even if he sits in
> 2016. If Tanne catches fire and turns it around
> then great we have trade bait. If Tanne does not
> turn it on we can cut bait after 2016 w/ not too
> much dead weight from his salary.

Mizz, if Miami had a poor QB situation, I would understand what you are saying.

Don't you think Miami has other more pressing needs than QB, i.e., CB, OL, LB?

That first round is where teams "normally" get their blue chippers. If Miami goes QB in the first, then they will be hoping to get a starter further on.

Granted, nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but a team has a better shot at getting that difference maker in the first round than later.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 10, 2015 11:59AM

I really don't see how people expect Tannehill to get much better after almost 4 years as the unchallanged, uninjured starter. He is what he is, and if we are keeping Tannehill, all we can do is try to build an all world team to hide his deficiencies and hope for a couple years of relevance. Based on the fiasco of our attempts over the last decade to do EXACTLY THAT, who thinks it's gonna happen before Tannehill retires???

Hell yes, draft a QB, or even 2(1 in rd 1-2 and 1 in rd 4-6) and see what happens. Those who think this is a waste are the same ones who don't mind drafting Lineman over and over again in the high rounds and STILL not being able to field a decent line...Has anybody thought maybe the lines poor stats are because the QB can't read the defense, see the field, avoid the INEVITABLE rush, and get the ball out QUICKLY to the open guy???...I'm not asking for another Marino or a Brady or Manning, but honestly, would this team have any different record if Matt Moore had started all season? I doubt it.

You can't be a competitive team for any amount of time in todays NFL without a QB who can, just a few times a game, step up and make a difference in the outcome of a down, a drive, or the game, even if the rest of the team isn't playing all world. Tannehill isn't that kind of guy, he isn't going to be if he hasn't shown it by now.

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 11, 2015 08:18AM

So they would draft a good QB to stand behind that OL and pass, throw to who, and give the ball to who to run behind whom? The the other team gets the ball... yikes. Put in second, third team QB at safety or CB maybe.

Maybe the Panthers will trade Cam.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 11, 2015 08:33AM

Here it comes.....the "Lose for Lynch" chants.

Date: December 11, 2015 10:24AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Here it comes.....the "Lose for Lynch" chants.

I don't like it....It doesn't rhyme at all.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 06:37PM

"qbs who sit for a few years before being thrown I
to the fire tend to have a better chance for high
level success."

This has ALWAYS been true. For some reason, over the last 10-15 years, it has become fashionable to draft a QB high, then, because you are paying the guy so much money, you throw the guy into the fire starting the first day of training camp. We are subjected to this "savior" learning the game and making mistakes and either getting torn apart in the press, or anointing him the second coming of Unitas or Starr or the aforementioned Rodgers or somebody. Used to be, in most cases they eased these guys into the game and, when they were ready, if they were ready, they went in. There are other things to learn about playing the one of the most visible, pressure-filled jobs in the world, and young QB's can't learn everything on the field, and maybe they acclimate to the job and grow up a little. Over the years, it has PROVEN to help. The shift in how to handle a young QB has been strictly a financial one. And in most cases, a BAD one.

Rick

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 01:33AM

what makes it more difficult is drafting an athelete to be qb instead of a QB.

Now you have to teach the guy how to be a QB and at the pro level instead of fine tuning a QBs game to work in the pros.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 12, 2015 05:14AM

The only way we should draft a QB in round one is if a can't miss, blue chip, certified star is sitting there for us. Otherwise we should wait to draft one if at all. Since that guy is not in this draft...there you go.

I have no issues with us taking a QB and I do think we should take one every year regardless. So on that note, we do need a backup to replace Moore (who should be gone IMHO) and RT does need to be pushed a bit. I just wouldn't take one early unless there is THAT guy available.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2015 08:27AM

And why do you say that about Moore, Ken. I mean, he's getting old but what has he done wrong? I believe that in the half season he was our QB he won almost every game and almost got us into the playoffs.

I know SamSam doesn't like him because he sees him as a threat to Tanny but upon what basis do you think that Moore has performed awfully??????

Date: December 12, 2015 01:36PM

Moore is just an average QB who is getting up in age. He is the backup. RT is Miami's QB unless the FO somehow stumbles upon someone who can save the day. RT is young with talent. Better coaching and a better OL "could" help him, along with RT improving.

Just remember, more than likely we are going to see a whole new coaching staff and maybe(?) FO. RT will be going through ANOTHER OC. These aren't excuses....RT has to improve, no question. But at the same time, other areas must improve.

Marino could have made a difference, but even as great as Marino was, how many Super Bowls did he get to? And he even had arguably the greatest NFL coach.

Date: December 12, 2015 02:54PM

"Mizz, if Miami had a poor QB situation, I would understand what you are saying.

Don't you think Miami has other more pressing needs than QB, i.e., CB, OL, LB? "

You are right on both points catpkoi. I would not call our qb situation poor but below average. Losing Moore it becomes poor.
I still would not mind us drafting a qb in the first round for the reason I mentioned earlier.

I believe we have enough talent at Oline that a good oline coach can develop. I could see drafting a lb at number one but I still would not be upset if we got a qb. We can grab a corner and safety in rnds 2/3/4.
We actually have some corners on our roster.

Date: December 12, 2015 05:27PM

ChyrenB Wrote:

>
> I know SamSam doesn't like him because he sees him
> as a threat to Tanny but upon what basis do you
> think that Moore has performed awfully??????

I dont see him as a threat to tanny.....Tanny is bad but i believe tanny has more potential than moore.

Date: December 12, 2015 05:29PM

quote:
Moore is just an average QB who is getting up in age. He is the backup. RT is Miami's QB unless the FO somehow stumbles upon someone who can save the day. RT is young with talent. Better coaching and a better OL "could" help him, along with RT improving.

what capkoi said.

Date: December 12, 2015 05:31PM

chren i know tanne is playing bad but i believe we have better chance of winning with tannehill than moore.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2015 08:56PM

well I've said my position before. If we are not going to play to Tanny's talents, we might as well sit him on the bench. He'll never make a pocket quarterback.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 04:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.