HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Leadership Qualities of Dan Campbell
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Leadership Qualities of Dan Campbell
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 02, 2015 05:57AM

Two months ago I knew nothing about Dan Campbell. Today I know more of him, most of us do, since he was appointed interim HC. We've watched him on the sidelines, but also speaking with the media, who have asked many hard questions. In that department, IMO, he has done very well, better than I ever expected.

From what I see in those broadcasts, he is a straight talking guy. He doesn't put much spin on anything, nor does he attempt to sugar coat any of the Dolphins' obvious issues and weaknesses. He is reasonably diplomatic and will not castrate a current player in public for performing badly. Yet, I do see a character trait where he would, in private, "rip 'em a new one."

The man reminds me of several tough, no nonsense NCOs and Officers I've had contact with during my military career. He shows honesty and integrity, and he's realistic about himself and the current state of affairs.

Becoming the interim HC is a wonderful personal opportunity for him. He's only going to get better because he clearly wants to excel. Dismissing Lazor was a tough situation for him, I've had to do the same thing in my former life. He posses a strong character--real mettle. I truly like what I see from him. I would like to see him grow. As Joe Rose would say, "he wears Big-boy, pants." This is a real man, and I certainly believe in due time he will get a much higher performance from players. If he doesn't stay on with the Dolphins, in the future, I expect to see him on the sidelines with a team that is not only competitive but a team that could very well contend with the best NFL teams in the league. I know it's early but I believe he's an up and coming coaching star.

Seeing how things have gone, the gamblers in Vegas probably have a line on whether he's replaced. I would really consider keeping him on the job provided the front officer could acquire a top-flight OC and DC, as well as assistant coaches. Pretty, iffy huh! Yes, I know it is. I think this guy is a lot better than our past failures at the HC position.

The Dolphins' front office, the administration, isn't nearly as competent as Campbell is as the interim HC. They have failed for too many years and continue to do so.

George Patton said, "if you can't do the job, I'll find somebody that will." Failure wasn't part of his make-up. nor should it be the make-up of a multimillion dollar Miami Dolphins franchise.

Leaders lead, even when the &^% is hitting the fan. That's Dan Campbell. He's providing leadership in the face of turmoil, lackluster play, and fan criticism. He's a winner and a good role model. thumbs up

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leadership Qualities of Dan Campbell
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 06:14AM

I like him and think that some day he may be a very good head coach. I think his lack of seasoning is showing through, but in fairness, he has the weakest assistant coaches in the league. That said, I doubt that Ross keeps him on. Ross is all icing and no cake. He's going to want to make a splashy hire, though with Tannenbaum in charge, that may be a difficult task (the Jeff Fisher scenario). In the end, I see Ross and Tannenbaum going the crony route. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangini hired due to his ties to both Tannenbaum and Ross. His past failures wouldn't be an impediment as former jet employees who failed are becoming prevalent with this franchise. Sadly, it'll take Ross several more years of losing to move on from them at which time the process starts all over again.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 06:41AM

Mangini's name keeps cropping up as an example of "failure" though I recall he was the "rookie coach of the year" winner or finalist or something. Nothing even close to that was on Philbin's résumé. We could certainly do worse.
Once everyone on our list turns us down we'll have to choose between another unproven commodity or somebody like Mangini. Personally I'd like to see a Shula here again.
What bothers me about Campbell is his lack of discipline. He's more of a buddy to the players than an authority figure and, it shows in the stupid penalties. Once you become their buddy they look upon you more as an equal than as an authority figure.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 06:46AM

If mangini is hired by this organization even as the waterboy, we are doomed.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 07:09AM

I keep hearing "who would come here" and to an extent I agree but if there's an ownership situation worse than ours it's the Saints. That's why Payton is going to leave.

A guy like that would instantly make us a threat but he'll be a hot commodity so we'll have to be ready to pony up. After reading the disconnect between the staff and FO about Tannehill that could be the deciding factor between getting a Payton or a lesser option. Some of these guys aren't going to want to be saddled with our QB.

There's only 32 of these jobs available and unless you're Payton the pickens become slim.

If we keep Campbell you sell the OC and DC on the fact that if they right this ship they'll be in line for every opening in 16/17. If not and they turn their respective position around they'll be in line for our job.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 02, 2015 07:58AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If mangini is hired by this organization even as
> the waterboy, we are doomed.

I remember people saying the same thing about Tannenbaum. I'm pretty sure that whoever we hire we'll still be doomed as long as Ross is the team owner.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 08:41AM

Mangini flamed out as head coach of two organizations. I really don't want him in Miami for that third strike. I'd rather have Mike Shula here (and I have reservations about him as well). The problem is that Ross loves to put the cart before the horse. Get a decent GM and then let him hire the coach. Tannenbaum is not a decent GM and won't be successful, period. The only one that can't seem to accept that fact is Ross.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 02, 2015 08:47AM

Campbell has been one of the few bright spots in this sucky year. I don't see him as a buddy buddy type w/ the players. His squad TE has always been the best coached on the team. Any of his shortcomings just comes from his inexperience. I see him as an excellent company commander who one day will become a solid brigade commander but this is not his time. I am grateful for what he has provided the Phins this year.

Posted by: CG ()
Date: December 02, 2015 09:07AM

Everyone keeps saying no one wants to come because they have to stick with RT. The media and others act like there is a plethora of franchise QBs. If that was the case, teams wouldn't be recycling through quarterbacks like Fitzpatrick, Hoyer. As a matter of fact, Josh McCown was retired and out of the league when the Bears called him to replace Cutler. That's desperation. There are teams now calling Jason Campbell to sign. There are not many elite quarterbacks. So, to get rid of Tannehill and find a QB is not as easy and creating one on Madden.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 02, 2015 10:10AM

But he, Tannehill, does not even have confidence in himself, CG.

Date: December 02, 2015 10:31AM

CG does have a good point.

Date: December 02, 2015 11:10AM

But i wouldnt mind bringing in a rookie qb with some potential...

Having matt moore as a backup doesnt do squat because he know matt moore stinks..

He needs a rookie qb to push him to do better.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 02, 2015 11:21AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But he, Tannehill, does not even have confidence
> in himself, CG.

C'mon, Chryen, you know better than that.

If RT didn't have confidence in himself, he (1) wouldn't be in the NFL (2) wouldn't be playing as well as he has been playing (3) all of us would see the lack of confidence. He has confidence in himself, he knows what he can do, if allowed to do it, which hasn't been the case.

I just read where RT is going to have more input into the offense from here on out. He is happy about that. Does that sound like a lack of confidence?

We all know what RT's strength is: pass while on the move. Lazor, for some reason, rarely allowed him to do that. Who here expects RT to be rolling out all the time, or running often? None of us, as we all know what could happen.

The guy gets beat to hell back there, but keeps getting up. He hasn't missed a start his whole time in Miami. How many QBs around the league can say that?

RT has work to do, and he will be the first to say that, but he also needs help throughout the organization.

This season is lost. He will be the QB of the Dolphins in 2016, no matter who the new HC is. Trust me, a prospective HC is not going to look at the QB position and groan and consider getting rid of RT. There just aren't that many good QBs around, and even the good ones are having problems.

I'm not saying RT is going to set the world on fire when areas of the team get fixed, but I can say that he will play well, to where everyone (posters, media, etc) will start focusing on other areas of the team.

QB is not an issue for the Miami Dolphins, folks.

Date: December 02, 2015 12:14PM

Date: December 02, 2015 01:02PM

The Miami Dolphins have had seven -- SEVEN -- consecutive first-time NFL head coaches since 2004.

Date: December 02, 2015 01:08PM

Interesting when you give those figures, Samsam.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 03, 2015 04:30AM

It's amazing to me how quickly people become infatuated with a new QB. Sometimes after only two or three games.

I can't help but thinking back to the same thing happening with....

Colin Kaepernick, RG3, Nick Foles, Matt Cassell, Zach Mettenberger, Kirk Cousins, Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez.

Where are they now?

SO MUCH goes into winning and playing well and in no other sport is that play more dependent on other players than the NFL.

Look at the struggling QB's/teams this year and then look back at the performance of these "one hit wonder" QB's and how their TEAMS were playing when they were successful.

Struggling this year.....

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Payton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Foles, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo...

Teddy Bridgewater has 8 TD's and 7 picks but his team is in first place at 8-3.

Phillip Rivers (23 td/8 int, 3500 yards) is on fire this year and his team is 3-8.

The Broncos have scored more than 30 points ONE TIME this year and they are 9-2. Do you think their defense and/or running games may be helping them a bit? Helping Osweiler? He has played 3 games with ratings of 72, 127 and 72 but now there is talk of trading Tannehill in favor of this 3 game QB? LOL That's good stuff.

Date: December 03, 2015 04:45AM

As to the leadership skills of Dan Campbell.....

The aspect I like is such a basic ability. Common sense and the ability/willingness to make changes.

That's something this team has not seen for a LONG time. Jeff Ireland, Sporano, Philbin, Sherman, Lazor, Coyle, etc.

You play poorly, you get benched! Philbin certainly never followed that philosophy!

Jamil Douglas sucking at RG: benched

Cameron Wake not getting it done on running downs: Benched and utilized to his strengths as a pass rusher.

Jamar Taylor consistently getting roasted: Benched in favor of a rookie.

Coyle not performing: fired
Lazor being stubborn: fired

He is also not afraid to take a look at the rookies when it counts. DeVante Parker will start this week in place of Mathews. If Philbin were here it would be Greg Jennings..or Williams instead of Ajayi.

At least we will know what we have in Phillips, Parker, McCain, Ajayi going into next year when decisions need to be made.

Who did Philbin ever bench in 3+ years? No one I can remember.

I would be curious to see what kind of team DC would field if given the opportunity to choose his own staff.

Date: December 03, 2015 04:46AM

Hey joe, every one of those QBs, with the exception of Bridgewater, are also capable of carrying their teams to victory when the D or running game or any other facet break down.

Ours is not.

It looks like the training wheels are coming off the rest of the season. Tannehill is going to have input on the gameplan and be able to change plays. I hope that's what he needed but I'm not really counting on it.

Date: December 03, 2015 05:46AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Hey joe, every one of those QBs, with the
> exception of Bridgewater, are also capable of
> carrying their teams to victory when the D or
> running game or any other facet break down.

Then why aren't they doing it this year?

I think we are seeing this year that is not the case. Most are struggling because other areas of the team have broken down.

Flacco has failed to carry his team to victory 7 times this year.

Rodgers has failed the last 3 out of 4 games.

Foles was benched.

Atlanta started out great when they were running the ball. They have lost 4 straight now that Freeman is struggling.

Manning maybe back a few years but not now.

I've only seen a few QB's that could carry their team on their backs consistently and it usually never works out in the end.

Date: December 03, 2015 06:53AM

Flacco, Rogers, Manning - super bowl winners.

Romo, Luck, Ryan - annual playoff contenders.

Sure you need support. Our QB needs the 85 bears D and Czonka & Kick running the ball to maybe get us a wildcard.

Do you know why their annual contenders? The QB.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 04, 2015 10:07AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 04, 2015 08:44PM

I Like Dan Campbell a lot. I think he could thrive well if he had some quality coordinators and assistants.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 05, 2015 06:17AM

I've very quickly soured on Campbell.

It seems his idea of aggressive is restricted to one on one player battles, beat your man, be aggressive at the point of attack.

His solution to every problem seems to be to simplify things. Simplify the defense, simplify the offense. People wanted Lazor gone because the offense was too simple and too predictable and too safe and Campbell's message to Taylor is to simplify the offense.

Are all of our players just too dumb to run complex NFL level schemes?

Date: December 05, 2015 11:33AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But he, Tannehill, does not even have confidence
> in himself, CG.

He did! When he was a rookie he was a running MFer. 5 yrs of Philbin, who wouldn't let him try to score before a half with over 2 minutes left has done it's damage. He needs a good season not just 7 games with a coach that believes in him. Some recievers he can build continuity with and again, some god damned OLINEMAN!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 06, 2015 05:46AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Flacco, Rogers, Manning - super bowl winners.
>
> Romo, Luck, Ryan - annual playoff contenders.
>
> Sure you need support. Our QB needs the 85 bears
> D and Czonka & Kick running the ball to maybe get
> us a wildcard.
>
> Do you know why their annual contenders? The QB.

STOP it already. Are you saying then because Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson , and Jeff Hostetler won championships they are great? LOL. They had Great teams. Great coaching. GREAT DEFENSE.

Tannehill might never be HOF material. I think he could still , but lets say no. With a great defense and just some changes to the offensive line , he is playoff bound every season and a contender. Easily.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 06, 2015 09:44AM

I didn't say that. they are exceptions to the rule and as of 3 yrs and 11 games tannehill needs an all pro supporting cast to have a magical season and make the playoffs.

it's tough to keep that supporting cast together.

your mancrush is duly noted.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 06, 2015 11:02AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> I didn't say that. they are exceptions to the
> rule and as of 3 yrs and 11 games tannehill needs
> an all pro supporting cast to have a magical
> season and make the playoffs.
>
> it's tough to keep that supporting cast together.
>
> your mancrush is duly noted.

It was the same with Henne. To them, the 1st round is for Linemen(I mean it's worked so well thus far right?). We missed on ONE first rd QB so We need to draft 6th rounders, we are sure to find Tom Brady. THis is the same kind of thinking that leads people to buy lottery tickets as their retirement plan lol...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 03:47AM by KB.

Date: December 07, 2015 05:50AM

Continue to draft a qb in the first round until you draft one thats not a wetfirecracker.

Date: December 07, 2015 10:45AM

I don't think it has to be a 1st rounder. 3rd? 4th? but you keep doing it.

Our drafts by and large suck anyway. Why not throw a mid round pick at a qb and hope to strike gold. It would fix more than one problem.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.