HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2016 Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2016 Draft
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 23, 2015 06:06PM

Yes it's early but here's a few good places for us to look for help in April.

OG- Vadal Alexander, Sebastian Tretola, Cody Whitehair, Christian Westerman, Landon Turner, Germain Ifedi.

OT- Taylor Decker, Jack Conklin, Jason Spriggs, Jerald Hawkins, Tyler Johnstone, Kyle Murphy, Spencer Drango, Parker Ehinger, Denver Kirkland.

LB- Jaylon Smith, Reggie Ragland, Scooby Wright, Kendell Beckwith, Kentrell Brothers, Darron Lee, Dominique Alexander.

CB- Tre'Davious White, Mackensie Alexander, Kendall Fuller, William Jackson, Cameron Sutton, Desmond King, Kevon Seymour, Briean Boddy-Calhoun.

DE- Leonard Floyd, DeForest Buckner, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Anthony Zettel, Chris Jones, Jordan Jenkins.

S- Jayron Kearse, Su'a Cravens, Darian Thompson, Vonn Bell, Eddie Jackson, Nate Andrews, Karl Joseph, Jeremy Cash.

WR- Laquon Treadwell, Michael Thomas, Corey Coleman, Tyler Boyd,Travin Duval, Demarcus Robinson, Pharoh Cooper.

QB (Backup)- Connor Cook, Jacoby Brissett, Christian Hackenberg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2016 Draft
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 06:11PM

Love Su'a Cravens in second or third, he will be a star but probably need OL n first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 01:19PM by jlyell13.

Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: November 23, 2015 07:23PM

Should look something like this:
OL
LB
CB
OL
QB
LB
FB

Date: November 23, 2015 07:29PM

FB would be a wasted pick.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 23, 2015 07:44PM

OC phin that looks like what we have done since 2008.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 24, 2015 03:57AM

2008? More like 2000. Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over expecting...well, you know the rest.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 24, 2015 07:21AM

Ken,

How could you possibly leave off Jalen Ramsey?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 25, 2015 01:48PM

Hoping for top 5 draft pick

1 Ronnie Stanley

2 Su'a Cravens

Wouldn't mind taking Dak Prescott in later rounds

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 08:15AM

J13 - replacing Albert or James?

That's a serious question, by the way.

Depending on where we finish the year, where we draft and what the coach situation is changes what we should do.

I see three, maybe four, legit 1st round QB's. By that, I mean QB's who would go Top 10 or so. I think after that, you start drafting second round talent in the first round at the QB position.

The issue that I see is that we are married to Tannehill for one more season because of the contract we just gave him (that we shouldn't have, and didn't need to do). At this point, I'm actually leaning towards retaining Campbell for next year and giving Tannehill one more year.

That might surprise a bunch of people after reading my other messages, but as has been stated by Treasure and Chyren, you don't evaluate a single position in a vacuum. You need to take other factors into consideration, and in this case, you need to consider that Tannehill is going to be on this team next year.

Do we want to fire Hickey, bring in a new HC and coaching staff and GM and have them stuck with Tannehill and essentially waste a year? Do we want to draft a QB in the first round and have him coexist with Tannehill? Is that really a good situation?

Or is it better to ride out next year, grab a playmaker at LB with our first round pick and see if maybe the improbable happens and Tannehill proves a lot of us wrong? If he doesn't, then at least we have a playmaker at LB and can move on from Tannehill when the next GM and coaching staff comes in for the 2017 season.

I'm pretty much set on the idea that we need a LB or CB with our first round pick and should probably spend our 2nd round pick addressing those deficits as well. This is with full acknowledgment that I think Tannehill is a huge problem for this team. But we're stuck with him because we signed him to that contract, so we need to be smart and take a big picture view.

The problem is that I can't believe a new GM and HC would want to be shackled to Tannehill, especially not if we have a high enough pick to grab a legit QB prospect. And I don't think it's fair to anybody the coaching staff or Tannehill, to have a "lost season" where both parties know they are just riding out the year before they both move on.

Giving Tannehill that contract, when we didn't have to (because he could have still been under contract next year with the 5 year option and we'd have the franchise tag after that if needed), really makes things a mess.

Unless there's a realistic way to get out of Tannehill's contract and move him off the team prior to next year, then we shouldn't saddle a new coaching staff with him. Keep Campbell, maintain some continuity and spend our picks trying to improve the rest of the team. Because those investments will still pay dividends for the next staff.

Date: November 26, 2015 09:54AM

I think Cody Kessler has really dropped far down so that he might be available in the third round or afterwards.

Date: November 26, 2015 10:08AM

Kessler is a small QB, that's where he should be available unless he were clearly a special player - and that is not evident.

Oh, and I didn't mention it above, but even as I say that we should focus our first picks on LB and CB and keep Tannehill for another year and not replace Campbell, I still think we absolutely should grab a QB in the 4th round or so. The third might be a bit early, but that depends on who would be available.

Keep Tannehill & Campbell for 1 more year because we have to due to Tannehill's contract. Draft LB,LB or CB,LB or LB,CB in the first two rounds, draft DE/LB/DB in the third OR grab a QB that might have fallen for some reason and is clearly superior to the rest of the class that will be available in the fourth. If you didn't grab a QB in the 3rd, then you get one in the fourth.

I would do that, bring in a top half of the draft QB, even with keeping Tannehill. Then, when the new regime comes in 2017, they'll have multiple options at QB, including spending their 1st round pick on one.

I'd also be picking up Johnny Manziel, Sam Bradford, or Kirk Cousins this offseason and have an option competition between them and Tannehill. It's clear to me that next year is Tannehill's last chance. He either shows he can win games or he's out the door. When the Dolphins are down by 2 scores with 4 minutes left, are you confident that you will win? are you hoping that you will win? or do you know there's no shot? Because we're at no shot right now, and everybody knows it. Dolphins games end FAR BEFORE the final whistle blows. You can't dink and dunk your way to two scores in 4 minutes, all you can do is pad your yards and completion %. Which is why Tannehill has decent stats but not enough wins.

Date: November 26, 2015 10:19AM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 08:09AM

If someone like Sean Payton is available I couldn't care less about who's saddled with whom you get him.

Let Payton try to fix Tannehill and bring in competition via the draft and FA.

I think there's talent on this team. Our problem is the pop warner staff Philbin assembled.

The problem is if Payton is available he'll be the top choice for all of the openings which will include Indy/Luck, Titans/Mariota.

Does he go somewhere where he already has a QB that needs fine tuning/coaching or here where he has to teach an athelete how to be a QB.

Tannehill isn't getting any better. He has the same deficiencies he had from his rookie year.

Date: November 27, 2015 08:42AM

So you're a real big Sean Payton fan, eh? I'll agree that he'll probably have better choices, and it also negates our benefit of having already fired our coach and getting through our candidates early.

But I do like the fact that he is aggressive as a coach and wants to attack defenses. None of this short passing game BS or trying to keep the game close and win in the 4th quarter like Sparano.

My only question with Payton is what the hell happened this year? I don't mean record wise, I mean philosophically. You get rid of the best receiving TE in the game for a physical center? That's an attempt to trade passing success for running success, it's an effort to be more balanced. Why? You trade away a young, promising WR for a LB and a 3rd pick? That NO team would probably be winning more games this year if they still had Stills and Graham to go along with Cooks and Colston.

Now, I know that Payton is the HC and not the GM, but there's been talks for years that Payton and Loomis have the best GM/HC relationship in the league and that both are joined at the hip. So I don't think that these moves, which are based entirely on philosophy, were done without Payton's say so or agreement.

Date: November 27, 2015 09:42AM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 01:08PM

Sean Payton took over one of the losingest franchises in the NFL, made them relevant, and won a Super Bowl. He's 88-60 in his 9+ years there.

As for the trades? Looking at Graham's #s in Seattle it looks like he sold high. Don't really know and if they'll turn out to be bad moves. oh well. Every coach/gm makes bad moves but I think nitpicking is the last thing the phins can afford to do.

Our last 3 coaches, cameron, sparano, philpin were all first timers. We have on fluke playoff season. Aside from that perpetual medicority always thinking we're a deep threat, or a cb, or a lineman away.

A proven HC that turned chicken sh!t into chicken salad is enticing and quite frankly, the best move we could make.

Date: November 28, 2015 07:53AM

OL
CB
MLB
OL
FB TE PLAYERS THAT CAN MAKE PLAYS ON OFFENSE AND BLOCK
OL

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 28, 2015 08:54AM

If the season were to end right now, the Fins would be drafting around the 12th spot.

It isn't a bad spot to be, but Miami has been there before and didn't do a whole lot with the pick. However, I do understand we have different FO personnel who will be making the choices, along with (probably) a new HC and staff.

If Campbell remains, I am also interested to see what he can ask for (depending on his philosophies) and what he can get. How much power will he have?

We'll see what the "new" regime can do.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 29, 2015 06:43PM

Ross will give up our first round pick to get Payton out of New Orleans. Which would be dumb since he's basically being run out of there. I'd rather have josh mcdaniels and keep our picks.
This team is garbage and it needs to be flushed top to bottom. Unfortunately the biggest problem we have is the owner and he can't be fired. And so we will be stuck with tannenbaum who will turn us into the later year mark Sanchez Jets, as best. Might as well write off the rest of this decade too.

Date: November 30, 2015 06:17AM

I didn't intend to make a comprehensive list so I'm sure I left off quite a few guys.

Date: November 30, 2015 06:48AM

I think I'd rather have McDaniels as well...a good healthy dose of what the Pats do would be a great tonic for what ails us. Especially since we have quite a few finesse players r=that should be able to do the quick routes required.

I wouldn't scream too loudly about Peyton however...he's a good hard-nosed coach.

Beyond those two though, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 06:49AM by Ken.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: November 30, 2015 11:12AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes it's early but here's a few good places for us
> to look for help in April.
>
> OG- Vadal Alexander, Sebastian Tretola, Cody
> Whitehair, Christian Westerman, Landon Turner,
> Germain Ifedi.
>
> OT- Taylor Decker, Jack Conklin, Jason Spriggs,
> Jerald Hawkins, Tyler Johnstone, Kyle Murphy,
> Spencer Drango, Parker Ehinger, Denver Kirkland.
>
> LB- Jaylon Smith, Reggie Ragland, Scooby Wright,
> Kendell Beckwith, Kentrell Brothers, Darron Lee,
> Dominique Alexander.
>
> CB- Tre'Davious White, Mackensie Alexander,
> Kendall Fuller, William Jackson, Cameron Sutton,
> Desmond King, Kevon Seymour, Briean
> Boddy-Calhoun.
>
> DE- Leonard Floyd, DeForest Buckner, Shaq Lawson,
> Emmanuel Ogbah, Anthony Zettel, Chris Jones,
> Jordan Jenkins.
>
> S- Jayron Kearse, Su'a Cravens, Darian Thompson,
> Vonn Bell, Eddie Jackson, Nate Andrews, Karl
> Joseph, Jeremy Cash.
>
> WR- Laquon Treadwell, Michael Thomas, Corey
> Coleman, Tyler Boyd,Travin Duval, Demarcus
> Robinson, Pharoh Cooper.
>
> QB (Backup)- Connor Cook, Jacoby Brissett,
> Christian Hackenberg.

The thread about GRIESE's remarks was closed, so I'll say what I would have said there in this thread, since it fits!

In the preseason, I posted in a couple of sites (D-R if this was one of them) that MIAMI needed 3 things to happen FIRST AND FOREMOST, and that those 3 things were GETTING AN ALL-WORLD G, GETTING ANOTHER ALL WORLD G, and getting a great true MLB. A certain excellent G was out there, for the taking, but we made no legit offer for him: just a glorified INSULT!!! So, we missed out on MATHIS, and TANNEHILL's now paying the bill for this organization's top-to-bottom GROSS STUPIDITY!!! We're seeing it week in, week out. Great opponent, good opponent, bad opponent? Doesn't matter, does it? The one constant is TANNEHILL taking a royal ass-kickjng. If I were TANNEHILL, when I became a F/A again, I would NOT sign w/MIAMI.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 30, 2015 12:07PM

Ken Wrote:
> I think I'd rather have McDaniels as well...a good
> healthy dose of what the Pats do would be a great
> tonic for what ails us. Especially since we have
> quite a few finesse players r=that should be able
> to do the quick routes required.
>
> I wouldn't scream too loudly about Peyton
> however...he's a good hard-nosed coach.
>
> Beyond those two though, there doesn't seem to be
> a lot out there at the moment.

Yeah, Ken, I was thinking the same thing while watching the NE v Denv game last night. He has lost so many offensive weapons this season, but he still comes up with ways to beat the other team. They are basically down to people coming in off the street...and still winning!

But, I'm not too sure that McDaniels would be able to bring in top notch assistants. To me, that is more important than who Miami gets as HC. Would Campbell have done a better job if he had good coordinators?

Payton is really the only big name that "may" be available to Miami after the season. Some big name college coaches may pop up, but who knows. Ross, et al, may have a hard time finding what they want; they may just have to, once again, settle.

Date: December 05, 2015 06:53AM

I would love McDaniels and I still think getting Pioli and McDaniels in here would be a far better system and organization to emulate rather than trying to build the Jets South.

My concern with McDaniels is that he was essentially run out of Denver because he couldn't control the message with the media and he couldn't control his own staff. His assistants and coordinators were repeatedly undermining him because he hasn't been in the league long enough to have enough established relationships or that the ones he did know already had other jobs and weren't available.

It's the same problem that JJ had when he came to Miami. Wannstedt had a head coaching job, Butch Davis did, Norv Turner did, he had a staff full of people he didn't know and couldn't trust. It shows just how important the network and support system for head coaches is.

It's why Philbin didn't want to fire Sherman and when Philbin was fired there was nobody to promote to HC and when Lazor was fired there was nobody to promote to OC.

If McDaniels has built more relationships or if other guys are now available who weren't for him in Denver, and if bringing in Pioli who might have additional connections would help, then it might work out.

I think whats lost here is not just who the HC would be, but who would be their coordinators (at least). Who would Payton bring with him to be defensive coordinator? Any clue at all? What about McDaniel?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 05, 2015 05:58PM

Phins5.0 Wrote:
>.
>
> It's the same problem that JJ had when he came to
> Miami. Wannstedt had a head coaching job, Butch
> Davis did, Norv Turner did, he had a staff full of
> people he didn't know and couldn't trust.

I don't think I get your point here.

JJ didn't know Wannestedt, Davis or Turner? They worked together extensively together before they all came to the Phins.

Date: December 06, 2015 12:54PM

Do you think Pioli and McDaniel would take the jobs?

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 10, 2015 08:31AM

I would go DEFENSE/defense/OL/OL/then more DEFENSE. Looking for a later-round QB gem in the rough.

Both are rather embarrassing this year IMO.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 14, 2015 09:03AM

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 14, 2015 09:13AM

If we win tonight, we will be tied with 8 other teams (WOW) at 6-7 and will be in line for the 13th draft pick. Two of those teams are still seeded for a playoff spot.

If we lose tonight, we will be in line for the 8th overall pick.

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 15, 2015 11:35AM

We in line... but have a habit of winning these mean-nothing games.
We like to get lower in the draft to give ownership time to think on draft day.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.