HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Questionable Coachng
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Questionable Coachng
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: November 22, 2015 04:01PM

I like Dan Campbell a lot as coach...but he really needs to learn how to properly make tough coaching decisions...I really don't get him!

2 games ago against buffalo, he made some really questionable coaching decisions(not taking a timeout prior to half time...and going for it with 2 secs left...passing instead of running it down their throats..
His post game response to the media and fans was"I decided that if we had an opportunity to go for it on fourth down, we as a coaching staff would be aggressive and GO for it!"

Today,,,with 6:42 left (on own 47)in the game 4th and 6 and down by 10,,, and your defense rarely being able to stop the Cowboys in the second half,,, Campbell punts?

Why not go for it Dan?
If you miss , you have to stop them 3 and out anyhow from midfield...no biggie..

Belichek and any good coach, would go for it.

If we make it, we have a good chance to come back in the game...

Campbell preached 2 weeks ago, that he stood by his decision to coach aggressively! Then he coaches like a wussy!

At 4-5 and now 4-6 you need to coach aggressively! Believe in your guys! That was an opportunity to have the team change momentum in the game... He simply failed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 06:07PM by steviec13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questionable Coachng
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 22, 2015 05:47PM

What?
"and your defense rarely being able to stop the Cowboys in the second half"
And you wanted to take a chance on giving the ball to Romo on your own side of the field?!? Makes no sense.

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 22, 2015 05:57PM

It's arguable either way. As the military expert once said, "There is a difference between bravery and rashness."

4th and 1 or 2 is one thing....4th and 6 is quite another. You basically have to be able to pass which Tanny has sucked at all day or you could run a read option which also could get stopped.

Bottom line if you don't make it, then you are giving up the punting yardage away in field position.

But if you say it was 6:42 minutes left to go in the game, basically 7 minutes then it makes sense to even rely on your sucky defense to end their drive with about 4:30 seconds left on the clock and then try to score a TD and hope for an on side kick.

Bottom line: We were down to relying on a near miracle either way.

Date: November 22, 2015 06:11PM

Sorry guys but we don't want philbin or Wannesdet back here!

6:42 and having to score twice?

I'll opt for going for it on 4th and 6!

If you don't take any chances , you just won't win!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 01:01AM

He should have gone for it. Our season was on the line. All the rah rah and tough talk bs is just that if you don't walk it.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 23, 2015 10:14AM

I like Campbell and he has brought up the intensity from our guys from what it was under Philben, but he is not HC material at this point in time. He is good enough to finish out the year in Miami and instill "something" in the team. He will not be considered for HC after the season from anyone (although I am sure Miami will give him a cursory interview). He is going to have to be a coordinator for a few years, then he should be ready for the main job.

The whole coaching staff "should" be cleared out after the season. Lazor clearly is ill-suited to determine what is going on out on the field and calling plays to combat what the defense is giving him. He has yet to fully utilize RT's strengths. He doesn't know how to utilize the running game. How many carries vs Dallas? And...when it gets to be crunch time, where the hell is Ajayi? Isn't that why Miami drafted him?

Jennings hasn't done much of anything this year, and will probably not be on the team next year. Put Parker out there or put him on IR and pick up a position of need.

Date: November 23, 2015 10:23AM

Date: November 23, 2015 12:11PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think it's time to dump him like we did
> Todd Bowles and then see him go and be the head
> coach for another team. If we do decently in the
> next remaining games, keep him.
>
> AND HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN that the guy who will
> be doing the picking is the drunk customer at the
> whorehouse who is getting his d*ck sucked under
> the cover by a prostitute???? His name is Ross.
>
> You seriously, really, honestly trust HIM??????

Sorry, Chryen, but whether we trust him or not, it doesn't matter...he is the owner!

Campbell won't be "that guy" for a few years. As I said, he needs to get some coordinator experience, first. He is a good coach, but not a Shula-type.

I will say this...we don't know what the mantra was for Campbell when he was hired to be the interim HC. Was he told to just get these guys to play hard, or was he given full power to make changes? I realize he let Coyle go, but we don't know if that was already in the works and the FO was just waiting for him to take over and make the move.

He has what he has; not much can be changed this late in the season.

I don't believe he has the power to do much and I don't think he would have the power to do much if he was named the HC, mainly because of his inexperience.

Miami needs a tough guy HC (not saying Campbell isn't a tough guy, he definitely is) with a lot of experience, who will have the power to make decisions about HIS football team and a guy who knows how to utilize the talent he presently has (ala Shula when he took over the Dolphins).

That's what Ross has to look for. No more messing around.

Date: November 23, 2015 02:56PM

Let's see how the last 6 games play out. We are playing some really crappy teams that have serious injury issues. Indy without Luck, and Baltimore without Flaco.
I want to see Campbell put it all together and beat the crap out of the Jets!

Date: November 23, 2015 05:07PM

Date: November 25, 2015 09:55AM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Let's see how the last 6 games play out. We are
> playing some really crappy teams that have serious
> injury issues. Indy without Luck, and Baltimore
> without Flaco.
> I want to see Campbell put it all together and
> beat the crap out of the Jets!

Steviec, Miami just lost to a Dallas team that had lost seven straight going into this game. Romo comes back and all of a sudden Dallas is now a Super Bowl team? No, they aren't. Dallas is a better team with Romo, no doubt, but to handle the Fins they way they did? Miami's defense allowing first downs on 3rd and way longs?

No, this team is going no where and Campbell can't fix it.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 10:06AM

The defense allowed just 24 points.....

Make that 17 because 7 was on tannehills int pick 7...

When you allow just 17 points on defense you had a very good defensive game...Especially in the NFL.

What do you say to that?

Date: November 25, 2015 10:08AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But this is the paradox, Cap. Can you explain it
> to me? The only thing that is said about Campbell
> is that he is not really a head coach but just a
> coordinator.
>
> But Philbin had sixteen prior ASSISTANT coaching
> jobs , even as to a high school (academy) team in
> which he was only an assistant coach.
>
> Yet no one questioned his right to be a head
> coach. (Not saying that they shouldn't have, but
> just saying as applied to Dan Campbell).
>
> Todd Bowles had only been an assistant as well and
> he is doing just as good as we are as a head coach
> of the Jets....and by the way, he was our own
> ACTING head coach when we got rid of Sparano only
> for us to pick up Philbin.
>
> So basically you are saying hire some other EX
> head coach????? Why then are they and EX instead
> of a present head coach?
>
> In other words, we should look in the "used items"
> section of the store?
>
> No one surely thinks for a moment that we will
> steal a prime head coach from any other team....to
> come here?????

"Ex HC's."

True, there are reasons why some of them are "ex HCs." However, there are also reasons that have nothing to do with how they coached their respective teams. Examples:

John Fox, from Denver to Atlanta. Fox had them in the playoffs every year (if I am not mistaken). Elway decided to go in another direction because Fox couldn't get them to the SB.

Brian Billick. All he did was win a Super Bowl.

Brian Shottenheimer. (Hope I spelled his name correctly). Had a 14-2 record and got fired.

Jim Harbaugh. Three straight playoff years (and one SB?). Had a poor last season before being let go. He and the FO had issues.

Don Shula. You guys remember him, right? Winningest coach in the history of the NFL. Forced out, although management nor Shula will ever say that.

Sean Payton is "rumored" to be walking after this season. Would Miami want to go after him? He could be considered an "Ex HC" when all is said and done.

There are a lot of other HCes at different levels who didn't make it their first time around who have learned a lot since that time, and could be ready to once again be an NFL HC. Pete Carroll is a good example.

As for Campbell...he wasn't even a coordinator when he was named interim HC, he was a position coach. He was pretty lost when he took over the Fins, which is why he leaned on others in the organization. He is learning on the go, and after being a coordinator for a few years, he will probably be ready to be a HC, but, IMO, not at this moment. There is so much for him to learn.

As for Bowles, how long did it take him before he was finally named HC?

Date: November 25, 2015 10:13AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> The defense allowed just 24 points.....
>
> Make that 17 because 7 was on tannehills int pick
> 7...
>
>
> When you allow just 17 points on defense you had a
> very good defensive game...Especially in the NFL.
>
> What do you say to that?

Don't know who you are throwing the question at, Sam, but I'll put my two cents in.

Treasure and I (and other posters) have put this out there...Miami had the game tied up then the defense pulls their disappearing act in the late stages of the game. Two big third downs for Dallas (a 15 yarder and a 27 yarder, I believe) and Dallas converts on both of them? And you say our defense played well? WR Terrance Williams has been an ordinary receiver for Dallas this year. What does he do? Yeah, our defense played well.

So with all thos miscues by our defense, you are going to put a BIG negative on RT with his pick-six?

OK, have at it.

Date: November 25, 2015 11:34AM

The point is when the defense allows only 17 points and you lose the game......

The offense hasnt done jack

14 points a game scored by the offense isnt going to cut it.

Date: November 25, 2015 11:36AM

You can say all you want about the defense...but the fact is they only allowed 17 points....

Any decent offense can beat that...

Except the phins of course...Our offense stinks.

Date: November 25, 2015 12:02PM

Yes, Cap. I remember we picked up Shula because Baltimore was angry at the young coach for letting the NFL be so disgraced as to lose that brand new event called a Super Bowl to that junior league, the AFL and their smart mouthed trash talking quarterback, Joe Namath.

After that he came to the fledging new franchise called the Miami Dolphins and the rest is history.

Yes, not all ex head coaches are bad. I'm just saying give Campbell a decent chance before we throw him on the trash heap.

As far as Bowles is concerned, he was named interim head coach to replace Sparano when he was fired but apparently wasn't going to get the head coach job so he went to the Eagles when we hired that great coach Joe Philbin.

Date: November 25, 2015 01:08PM

captkoi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The defense allowed just 24 points.....
> >
> > Make that 17 because 7 was on tannehills int
> pick
> > 7...
> >
> >
> > When you allow just 17 points on defense you had
> a
> > very good defensive game...Especially in the
> NFL.
> >
> > What do you say to that?
>
> **************************************************
> *******
>
> Don't know who you are throwing the question at,
> Sam, but I'll put my two cents in.
>
> Treasure and I (and other posters) have put this
> out there...Miami had the game tied up then the
> defense pulls their disappearing act in the late
> stages of the game. Two big third downs for Dallas
> (a 15 yarder and a 27 yarder, I believe) and
> Dallas converts on both of them? And you say our
> defense played well? WR Terrance Williams has been
> an ordinary receiver for Dallas this year. What
> does he do? Yeah, our defense played well.
>
> So with all those miscues by our defense, you are
> going to put a BIG negative on RT with his
> pick-six?
>
> OK, have at it.

Good post Cap.......and add to that how many defensive penalties that lead to more first downs for the Cowboys? AND Darren McFadden, who ran the ball 28 times for 131 yards And you want to blame this on Ryan? Please.......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 25, 2015 01:37PM

Captkoi,

If you'll notice, every team in the league minus the Patriots and the panthers seem to be mediocre to crap this season.
I see no reason why we can not just go into New York and kick their sorry ass butts!
They ar not playing well, and furthermore, there quarterback is horrible.

To me, the team with the best coaching scheme Sunday will win.

If the Dolphins beat the jets, they will be 5-6 and possibly tied with a bunch of other teams.
Not are why I feel this way,,,but I think we will beat the jets this week... Let's see how it plays out

Date: November 25, 2015 02:07PM

Date: November 25, 2015 04:47PM

Chyren,

We have their number in MetLife....they have ours at dolphins stadium...

They are spinning out of control...and hopefully we right the ship.

Prediction:

Dolphins 24. jets 17

No logic, other than Tannehill and Lamar Miller will both have big games.

Stevie

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 05:16PM

So, I think one of the above posters meant Marty and not his son Brian. Also Fox went from Carolina to Denver to Chicago - not Atlanta.

And didn't John Fox just prove Richardson right? Always a bridesmaid never a bride?

On the flip side, Couglin had success with the Jaguars was fired because he couldn't take them to the next level and won with NYG. Dungy same thing, Bucs to Colts. You could say that Gruden also fits that mold, Raiders to Bucs (although that was a trade). And of course, Belichek had success with the Browns before being fired and eventually getting the NYJ (for two seconds) and then NE jobs.

As for Campbell, he unfortunately fits the mold of Ross head coaches that have never been coordinators. Philbin was coordinator in name only, he was more "assistant head coach" and never had prior success as a coordinator. Neither did Sparano.

But is it important to be a coordinator? I'm not sure. John Harbaugh wasn't, he was special teams coach. Mike Tomlin wasn't, he was secondary coach. Some times you can find coaches who can fit the "executive" role without having specialties as coordinators.
Plus, even those "great coordinators" who took over head coaching positions and failed and got second chances and were successful, never lived up to what they were intended to do.

Dungy was supposed to be a "Cover 2" mastermind, architect of the great Bucs defense and the Colts grabbed him to improve their defense to go along with Peyton. The Colts defense never really improved and Dungy ended up winning on the arm of Peyton.

Billick was supposed to be an "offensive guru" after orchestrating a record setting Vikings offense and add offensive firepower to the Ravens great defense. The offense never really improved and Billick won off the back of the best defense of all time.

Gruden was supposed to be an "offensive guru" after building the Raiders into contenders and add offensive firepower to the Bucs great defense. Again, the offense never really improved and Gruden won off the back of a great defense.

Pretty much most of these guys were actually failures when you look at what they were intended to do, even if they did win a championship in the process. It seems silly to say that, but isn't it the truth?

I'm not sure getting an EX-NFL head coach is the way to go, or that getting a proven "genius" coordinator is the way to go. But I know damn sure that I know a loser when I see one and Cam Cameron, Tony Sparano and Joe Philbin were obvious losers out of the gate.

I'm not necessarily in favor of keeping Campbell, mostly because his rhetoric doesn't seem to be followed up with action on game day. This team isn't more aggressive, it isn't more physical. Now, some of that takes time to build but situational playcalling goes a long way to reveal true nature and that's where I don't see his words matching his actions. On the other hand, he at least has the rhetoric right which is more than I can say for a lot of the bums we've been parading through here as head coaches.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:25AM

Phins 5.0,

Very insightful words about Campbell. I totally agree with you. He talks the talk...but doesn't follow it up with his scheme and play on game day.
The first 2 games were perfect... The last 4, not so much!

Last week, Campbell stressed how important it would be to run the ball vs. the Cowboys, and get Lamar Miller going. First 2 plays out of the gate... 12 yard run Lamar ...9 yards Lamar ...then the carries to Lamar went away..
As I said earlier,,,I want to see how Campbell responds to his mistakes..I want to see his game plan for the next 6 games.

That will determine if he is the next coach of the Miami Dolphins!

Date: November 29, 2015 04:52PM

Absolutely PATHETIC!

Is it possible to fire an interim head coach?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 30, 2015 02:37AM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Absolutely PATHETIC!
>
> Is it possible to fire an interim head coach?

And do what? Promote the water boy?

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 12:23PM

I was totally surprised at Ross naming Campbell the new interim coach. I just can't comprehend it. You have to believe that the owner, any owner, wants the very best to run the Dolphins and will do what ever it takes to get someone in here with the experience, knowledge and win at all costs attitude. Especially in the same division as the Patriots with Belachek, a hall of fame coach for sure, you can't reasonably believe that Campbell is going to outcoach and beat Rex Ryan let alone Belachek.

I just have to seriously doubt that Ross has the fire to hire someone to take this franchise off the losing season after season list and act like he seriously wants to win !!!

He owns the team, it is his choice !!! Be a winner at all costs or just be a mediocre owner and share in the revenues of all 32 teams and sit pat !

Just win baby, just win or get out !!

Date: November 30, 2015 12:30PM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
> I was totally surprised at Ross naming Campbell
> the new interim coach. I just can't comprehend it.
> You have to believe that the owner, any owner,
> wants the very best to run the Dolphins and will
> do what ever it takes to get someone in here with
> the experience, knowledge and win at all costs
> attitude. Especially in the same division as the
> Patriots with Belachek, a hall of fame coach for
> sure, you can't reasonably believe that Campbell
> is going to outcoach and beat Rex Ryan let alone
> Belachek.
>
> I just have to seriously doubt that Ross has the
> fire to hire someone to take this franchise off
> the losing season after season list and act like
> he seriously wants to win !!!
>
> He owns the team, it is his choice !!! Be a
> winner at all costs or just be a mediocre owner
> and share in the revenues of all 32 teams and sit
> pat !
>
> Just win baby, just win or get out !!

Well, davdoldew...look at the staff Miami presently has. Who the hell would you have chosen? Lazor was, to me, the logical choice, but now he has been fired. Course, I wouldn't have trusted him as the HC. Campbell was the best option and he has shown he can get the team fired up, but he just doesn't have the coaches nor the players, nor the experience.

Lots of changes coming.

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 12:40PM

Captain ,

I don't know if you are trying to belittle me or what but here is food for thought for you sir !!

I never ever said who he should have named so to that end sir I plead not guilty, your words not mine. The owner does not have to stick exclusively to present coaches only on the team, that is
unless you have information that I am not aware of.

I say again, it was a poor choice for the owner and I do not have anything against Campbell. He is just not my idea of a qualified coach in the position that we need now and in the future....

Date: November 30, 2015 12:51PM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
> Captain ,
>
> I don't know if you are trying to belittle me or
> what but here is food for thought for you sir !!
>
> I never ever said who he should have named so to
> that end sir I plead not guilty, your words not
> mine. The owner does not have to stick exclusively
> to present coaches only on the team, that is
> unless you have information that I am not aware
> of.
>
> I say again, it was a poor choice for the owner
> and I do not have anything against Campbell. He is
> just not my idea of a qualified coach in the
> position that we need now and in the future....

It goes without saying that Campbell wasn't qualified for the job, and there was no one else on the staff who could have taken over. Go outside the family? Easier said than done. Any "good" coach would not take the job for fear of being let go once the season ended.

There are times, true, when someone from the outside comes in (during the season) and turns the team around, but that is pretty rare.

Most, if not all, organizations, stay in house until the season is over.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 30, 2015 02:01PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.