HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Talent is not the problem. Or is it?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Talent is not the problem. Or is it?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 07:51AM

If you don't think that there is an important need in this league for a productive running game, you apparently don't understand the game at this level.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 12, 2015 07:56AM

"What the heck has happened this year after spending YET ANOTHER FIRST RD PICK on OLine?"
I'm not sure what you're watching, but our first round pick this year was Davonte Parker, Wide Receiver. I wish we HAD picked an o-lineman.

Rick

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:34PM

I don't know how good an NFL coach Dan Campbell will be , but one thing I'm pretty sure of is that he will prove what an idiot Joe "Pinhead" Philbin was.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: October 13, 2015 04:00AM

I agree with Dan Campbell in that this is the most talented team we've had in six seasons and that they aren't competing. Philbin failed to get it out of them plain and simple.

This should be a playoff caliber team.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 04:49AM

Sorry but this is not a playoff caliber team.

Not with this OL and LBs.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 05:53AM

Titans are a 2 1/2 point favorite. I just want to see the boys play with some emotion.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: October 13, 2015 06:04AM

The titans are better than the jets.

Date: October 13, 2015 06:07AM

New coaches, new scheme.....just one week of preparation.....Imagine how good they are going to play this sunday.

Blowout city.

Do not expect too many plays to go right this week...

Unless the new coach is related to chris angel and he can do magic.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 06:24AM

they don't have a new scheme. they'll tweak what they're doing but the scheme isn't changing.

so tired of blaming everything on the oline. knowshon looked good behind this line. maybe lamar isn't all that.

i think an attitude adjustment will help. i think a back that runs hard will help. a qb that can avoid pressure and make a play will help. a qb that can regonize the pressure and take advantage of it will help. every team is looking for olinemen. the cowboys oline, considered the best in the league, sure didn't make weeden or any of their backs look good last week.

to put all the blame on the line is silly.

at some point the elephant in the room will get noticed.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:05AM

The OLine stinks what games have you been watching?

Date: October 13, 2015 07:06AM

And we were playing a scrub at LT because the starter is injured. Even worse.

The guards stink....Juwann james is playing like $hit...

What more prove do you want.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:35AM

so you're saying a better oline and problems solved?

Date: October 13, 2015 08:07AM

Date: October 13, 2015 08:35AM

then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

i think an attitude change will help. no, i don't think our line is stacked with all pros but i also don't think they're as bad as they've looked at times.

i think having a qb and rb that no one fears hurts more than people want to believe.

Date: October 13, 2015 10:14AM

quote : i also don't think they're as bad as they've looked at times.

So they just look bad but they are not that bad....You lost me there.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 13, 2015 10:29AM

Boy, I wish Knowshon were playing. Lamar is a scat back that Philbin tried to use as a Larry Csonka.

He should only receive the ball in space on pitchouts or screens.

I'd like to actually see what RB Damian can do.

Date: October 13, 2015 10:56AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> quote : i also don't think they're as bad as
> they've looked at times.
>
>
> So they just look bad but they are not that
> bad....You lost me there.

a qb holding the ball way too long makes the line look bad. the rb not hitting the hole makes the line look bad.

Date: October 13, 2015 11:33AM

A qb holding the ball for 3 seconds is enough time.....He just doesnt want to throw ints....Need to grow some balls like andrew luck....Its just a game.......Its depressing to see him hold the ball for so long and he doesnt even try to throw it.

And where are the holes....The Oline opens no wholes at all for the running game....They need to be more physical.

The defense isnt scared of tannehill because he just stands there till he gets sacked...

All they have to do is stack the LOS....there fore no running game. no holes.

Date: October 13, 2015 12:17PM

I'm going to shorten my responses to first letters.

NAPQB.

Translation: Not a pocket QuarterBack.

Or maybe I should put J for Just as the first initial.

Date: October 14, 2015 11:14AM

No, I agree with jsm08, and you are certainly correct, too. The o-line DOES stink (as a whole)but so do a lot of other positions. I don't know if they're gonna get blown out, I don't think so, but I want to see them do something they haven't done all season so far - COMPETE!

Rick

Date: October 14, 2015 11:21AM

"I'm going to shorten my responses to first letters."

Don't. You need to explain why you hold the opinions you do. Its not as obvious to the rest of us as you seem to think it is.

Rick

Date: October 14, 2015 12:05PM

LOL, no Rick. That wasn't meant to say that my posts were too long.

What I was saying that I have so often sung....to the weariness of some and the outright sickness of others two themes....

The first is that Philbin was stubborn, was dumb, didn't like to experiment with the talent on his team and should be fired....

The second and related thereto was that Philbin was trying to make Tannehill into being an Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning and that Tannehill was more like a Colin Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson and should be put in a playing scheme to advance those skills.

So since I've said it so many times (the part about Tannehill) whenever I hear comments in the future about 1) he's taking too long in the pocket or 2) he's not taking enough time in the pocket before making unwise throws or 3) he cannot accurately complete the deep pass, etc.

my answer is simply: "But he's not a pocket quarterback in the first place."

Since I said it so much, maybe I'd just code word it as NAPQB...."Not a Pocket Quarterback."

I get your point Rick. If it were anybody else, they shouldn't do that. If It was the case that I HAD NOT SAID IT A MILLION TIMES, neither should I shorten it but given my tired old song.........

Date: October 14, 2015 03:42PM

Maybe the next coach will see the light and make tannehill run and shoot.....

Date: October 14, 2015 08:39PM

Ha, ha.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 14, 2015 09:48PM

I'd probably say its all 3 of:
- OL talent/chemistry
- Tannehill playing scared behind OL
- coaches' playcalling/positioning for success

My opinion is that fault goes accordingly (simplistically):
- 50%
- 25%
- 25%

Blocking is utter trash - both running and passing. We have the worst starting G combo in the league...LT has been manned by Fox instead of top-5 LT...Dion Sims has been missed big time. When pressure comes up the middle and Tanny is in the grasp in under 2 seconds, it's the kind of stuff that rattles Brady. The Jets blitzed from the secondary over and over again and we had no answer...literally the guy just ran in untouched. Probably the biggest reason I assign most blame to OL is that Tannehill threw for 4000 yards and 93 rating last year while Miller ran for 1100 and TD.

The other half is shared, in my opinion...BUT I honestly thought about making the OL 60-70% and 20/20 or 15/15 on the other two. I think Tannehill's behavior in the pocket would be significantly better if OL play afforded it. Also think playcalling would look a lot better if he didn't feel like his only option on a play is a checkdown. I'd guess on a lot of checkdowns the protection didn't afford Tannehill or most other QBs the time to think about more appealing options further downfield.

To be clear - my opinion is that Tannehill HAS to do better with the hand he's been dealt. And not just a little better. I just honestly believe the trajectory we saw from years 1-3 is more indicative than the first 1/4 of year 4.

Posted by: PhinsUp_88 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 03:56AM

Finishing drives and being efficient in the red zone are also two glaring flaws.

I just wish people would stop harping on the deep ball issue, more often than not it fails no matter who is throwing it, and its ludicrous to force the issue if it isn't Tannehill's forte. There are more ways than one to skin a defense.

On the subject of attitude, I really think that 'Dan the Man v2.0' will get a response from this team, and I think we will see a much more physical Dolphins team out there. Granted, he won't turn water into wine or anything, but they will definitely have more heart.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.