HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins Defensive Scheme
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins Defensive Scheme
Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: October 04, 2015 03:26AM

So, there has been a lot of reporting, especially lately, on how Coyle has been asked to simplify the scheme. I'm now just hearing on the NFL network how there was a defensive meeting with some players and Coyle where they asked him/begged him to simplify it some more before this game.

If people like Omar Kelly are right, he's saying this scheme has been simplified so much that the opponents don't have to work very hard to game plan against it. So, my question is, what does that say about our defensive players? Do we have the stupidest players in the league or something? Why do they need it to be so simplistic? You hear how defenses such as Buffalo or Baltimore is very complex (and very good), how can those players thrive in a complex system but we fall flat on our face in a simplified one?

Up until Denver last year we had a pretty good defense, especially against the run. Ever since then they look horrible. Did the scheme suddenly get so complex mid-game that they fell apart and never recovered? Something else is going on here...

While I don't think Coyle is the answer at coordinator as there is evidence his defense slipped statistically every year since he got here, he did have some decent defenses. He also had some nice packages like the 5-2 and speed package. We see NONE of that now.

Also, as I hate to say it, Wake is not the player he once was. I know he's hurt and has been for the better part of the last several seasons, but I think time is catching up with him. I love watching him play and what he has done for this team since he got here, but i honestly think this is his last year with us, especially at his current salary. That's a problem as Vernon has totally disappeared this year, a CONTRACT year. I can easily see us not having either of these players next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins Defensive Scheme
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 04, 2015 04:08AM

We should do "flag football street D," "You cover him, I'll cover this guy." Good 'ol man-to-man coverage. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 04, 2015 05:30AM

That would take coaching and an ability to change and adapt colonel....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: October 04, 2015 06:29AM

The problem is mostly talent.
That is the fault of the FO for wasting a 2nd rd pick on JPhillips instead of a true MLB or legit CB.

The LBs we are running out there are a joke!!

The secondary is a joke!!

Obviously too much $$ allotted to a DT, and nothing left to build a solid D.
Again, that's on the FO,

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 04, 2015 07:08AM

Im convinced its not talent. For the first time I took a hard look at our position coaches backgrounds. There is not a lot of nfl experience behind these guys. Its easy to see why they get outcoached by their opposition.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: October 04, 2015 12:01PM

Can't say whether it's true or not, but I've read where Coyle is lining guys up in positions that negatively affect their abilitiy to make plays. We've all seen how he uses McCain on the outside even though he's a slot corner and has the CBs play 8-10 yards off the WRs at the line. The defense has regressed every year under Coyle, and Philbin is clueless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2015 12:04PM by gofins60.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 04, 2015 12:54PM

We have a scheme? I just figured he put them out there and told them to "play defense".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.