HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill still can't throw deep
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Tannehill still can't throw deep
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 23, 2015 07:09AM

Joe, I think he needs to stop throwing and run more myself........spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 07:57AM

Why is everyone so shocked that the offense is behind?

You must be a little shocked too Joe. I recall you predicted that we would go 12-4 for the season and, might go 6-0 to start the season. They're just not playing up to the level of the hype.

Date: September 23, 2015 08:22AM

Not Joes fault. We went 8-8 last season. And we lost some close ones to good teams like the Packers and the Lions. With all the off season additions you would think that would be worth at least 4 more games. We are actually playing worse. Its frustrating.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 23, 2015 08:31AM

Acquisitions seem great on paper but always bust or get injured I'm thinking maybe

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 09:28AM

I'm not blaming Joe (football). All the acquisitions and high priced free agents don't mean squat if you don't have the coaches and leaders that can get them to play as a TEAM.
We all entered this season with unrealistically high expectations.
I don't think Joe (Philbin) is a strong coach and, I don't think Tannehill is an effective leader yet.

Date: September 23, 2015 04:42PM

I agree Holligan.......you can have the fastest car in the world. Without a good driver, your not winning any races.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:07PM

Last year during the late college football season Urban Meyer said of Ohio State offense: "When we throw it, we mean it" That was in reference to their high scoring passing offense on deep throws.

When Phins throw it deep, in the limited times they do, they don't mean it. They don't throw it to score TDs. We see that from Big Ben, from other QBs. When they throw deep, it is threatening play, it's a scoring play. Manziel has 3 TDs this year on 39 attempts because of that. When we throw deep, we do it for the sake of yardage, it is never threatening. That's coaching. That's Lazor's failure. He cannot do it.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: September 24, 2015 07:10AM

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: September 24, 2015 07:24AM

I don't believe there is chemistry between the QB and the WRs to recognize matchup advantages against defenses, and here is why.

Too many times wide receivers are open but not targeted. Perfect example is that beautiful pass RT threw on Sunday to Matthews in between 4 defenders. That is a super difficult pass and a super difficult spot. There are 4 defenders there in the backfield bunched up. There must be an easier pass elsewhere, and there was. RT threw it to a predetermined spot. I have no complaints about that pass. It challenged the sticks, it was great, and greatly executed. But it shows general approach of the offense to go quick to predetermined spots.

Another thing is receivers reading the linebackers. Too many times when the ball is snapped and receivers take the first step, linebackers are already committing to the los, clearing in the middle, but our receivers continue running locked with DBs straight downfield instead of taking advantage of the free area. Everything is scripted and there is no playmaking.

In the end, the same applies to deep throws. They are scripted, instead of the QB and WRs taking advantage of defense at the snap, being on the same page in playmaking.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 24, 2015 09:21AM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is what his fourth year now ?
>
> The man just plain doesn't have it, he is an
> average QB at best.
>
> I have not seen any improvement as he still holds
> the ball too long, stares down his receivers and
> is a slow decision maker prior to releasing the
> football and also staying on topic, he still can't
> throw the long ball.
>
> Defenses are onto Tannehill and I just have to
> believe after having four years experience that
> he still has problems. I don't believe that he
> will ever improve anymore then what we see...
>
> He is a recipe for failure !!

Sorry, davdold, don't agree with anything you said.

Date: September 24, 2015 09:25AM

KB Wrote:
> Last week he looked like he did most of last year.
> This week he looked good, BUT...Once again our
> offense failed to produce when they had the
> opportunity. He's the QB a LOT of that HAS to be
> on him. My gut feeling is that, if he could line
> up against a vanilla defense every down(like when
> he was running up most of those numbers
> yesterday), he'd be all world. Unfortunately that
> isn't reality. We get in or near the red zone,
> the short slants get taken away, there is pressure
> up the middle and...FG try. Tannehill is a smart
> kid, he cleans up mistakes that are correctable.
> Just not sure that some of the things he still
> doesn't do well consistently ARE correctable
> rather they are just physical limitations. IDK
> there are a lot of other problems to be sure but,
> like alcoholics in denial, some are ready to
> rebuild the entire team every year yet refuse to
> consider Tannehill may just not be good enough.
> THe Jags were 3-13 last year and 20th vs the pass.
> If Tannehill is as whiz bang as some think he
> would have found a way to score more than 2 TDs
> against them.

True, our offense isn't scoring many points. Whose fault is that? Start with Lazor and work your way down. Too many offensive errors in this game, too many to even mention.

The main problem I saw in the game vs. Jax? Our offense, as a whole, crumbled in crunch time, as they have been doing for quite some time. RT was running for his life that last series. Again, too many problems to discuss.

Oh, our defense has done nothing to help this team win.

Date: September 24, 2015 09:30AM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
> I am not the brightest cookie in the box and I do
> not know the complex plays in their playbook. I
> just wonder why as a designed play he doesn't take
> off and run to the left or right from the shotgun,
> faking a QB run, and stop and throw deep to a
> receiver.
>
> The right situation must be there of course but I
> tell you, I believe once he makes a big play off
> this the defense will slow down their pass rush.
> The defenses do not respect Tannehill as he is one
> dimensional and are prepared for the dink and dunk
> and they allow it. Tannehills numbers look good.
> Problem is he still won't or can't throw deep and
> until he makes the defenses honest the Dolphins
> are in for a long year...

davdoldew....are you a different poster that has been here before or what? You sound very familiar with a Tanneyhill hater we have had on this board.

Anyway, not gonna reply to any more of your posts after this one. On this post, however, I can only ask you if you truly watched the Jax game or are you looking at stats, only? RT ran plenty, both designed and running for his life.

That's it.

Date: September 24, 2015 09:33AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> our oline wouldn't look so bad if we could hit
> some big passes. we have to make teams pay for
> blitzing but until we do they'll keep blitzing and
> covering our dink and dunk offense.

Really? RT threw the ball down the field plenty. Our OL is just incapable of holding out the opposing team's defense. How many penalties did James have, and in crucial moments? Albert out (again). Still don't have competent guards. Pouncey is doing just fine. Plenty of problems on our OLine, jsm.

Date: September 24, 2015 09:49AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> You're right, joe.
>
> tannehill is great. it's everyone elses fault.
>
> the coaches can do a better job of designing deep
> plays and tannehill can do a better job of
> connecting on some.
>
> my question is relevant. we don't score on long
> plays. we have long time consuming drives and
> struggle in the redzone. that limits our
> opportunities. we need quick strike ability and
> we don't have it.

True, the buck stops with RT, and he will own up to that, but that is what he is supposed to do. He is doing his job, and doing it well. All the "experts", i.e., former QB talking heads (with some of them being HOFers) say he is playing very well this year. I'll agree with them, but, at the same time, would also agree he can play even better, and he has acknowledged that. However, a QB can only do so much. His line has to block for him (both in the running game and the passing game), which they have done a poor job of. What is the total number of carries and yardage of our running game (not good)? Our receivers also have to hold on to the ball. RT hit Jennings on a slant and he dropped it. (Could) have led to a score.

BTW, jsm. No one on this board is saying RT is great, but you are giving him absolutely no credit. Your second paragraph (above) is correct.

You are also correct in that Miami doesn't score on LONG plays very often. There are many reasons for that, but I am sure, if you understand football, you know that. Yes, we have long time consuming drives, but on the other hand, if you look at time of possession, Miami is behind. This isn't a Marino-led offense. You have to admit, tho, that these long drives are supposed to help our defense get a breather on the sidelines. My only problem with that is our offense hasn't scored enough. Even with the D sitting on the sideline, they can't stop the other team from moving down the field, except, however, in the second half of both games, so far. Even with that, the D can play better.

Anyway, as the saying goes...The QB gets all the credit when they win, and all the blame when they lose. Just the way it is.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 24, 2015 09:50AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> our oline wouldn't look so bad if we could hit
> some big passes. we have to make teams pay for
> blitzing but until we do they'll keep blitzing and
> covering our dink and dunk offense.

Agree, I don't think its ALL Tannehills fault, but there are other QB's (that DON'T have 96 MILLION dollar contracts) and seem to get it done with patchwork and revolving door OLines that on paper at least aren't any better than ours. Our passing game is unimaginative/predictable and our running and big play threats are almost non-existent. When all the other team has to do is shut down what another poster called a 'twitch pass' offense, well, it portends nothing good in the NFL. I think it's best said this way, Our O-Line is not good enough for the QB play we have right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 10:00AM by KB.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 10:00AM

Tannehill is doing way better than i expected playing behind a sweeze cheese OL.

No running game ......stills and jenning are not getting open

When jenning gets open he drops the football. Still has caught a couple of balls here and there. Nothing to brag about.

to sum it up.....Look how good andrew luck is doing behind that colt OL..................

Marino was marino but he had one of the best OLines in football at that time.

Date: September 24, 2015 10:04AM

KB Wrote: Our O-Line is not good enough for the QB play we have right now.

Marino would struggle behind this OL....

Same thing happens with andrew luck.......with the difference that tannehill has better stats and playing better than andrew luck.

Tannehills stats in 3 games
over 500 yards passing
3 tds and no ints...
Led his team in rushing against the jaguars.

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 10:19AM

Hey Joe,

I am not shocked about the offense, on the contrary, just about what I had expected to be truthful. Same problems we have had since Philbin has been with the Dolphins.

Just my opinion but I would think Philbin could see what you elaborated upon and make some corrections. I believe you have a good football mind Joe, judging by your analysis, but good QB's find a way to compensate. Marino did not have a stellar OL but we know what he accomplished.

I just don't see Tannehill as the answer. In my opinion when he does throw deep he is wild and off target. Dink and Dunk,
that's his game and I do not believe it will change.

Could be wrong and If so I will admit it. We shall see what we shall see won't we ? Good luck Joe, hope you are right.

Good day sir !

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 10:38AM

captkoi,

first off I don't hate Tannehill by any means. If being objective as to his shortcomings and posting about them on this site appear as hate to you then that is your problem.

The posts I take time to put on this site are purely my opinion and not to be considered as hate to anyone. I say again it is purely my opinion and my thoughts and if you so choose not to view my posts, so be it, that is your choice. I owe you nothing, especially an explanation,

Best of Luck to you sir !

Date: September 24, 2015 10:40AM

The difference is....Marino had free reign. He could improvise. Tannehill must stick to the script (reads, progressions, play called).

Marino didn't have a stellar line? confused smiley

He did in his best years. In his lesser years, his line was not that great. Coincidence? I think not.

There is also a great misconception about Marino....the he put up ridiculous numbers every year. In fact, out of 17 seasons, he had 4 (maybe 5 if you project partial 83 year) that were better than Tannehill in 2014.

I wouldn't form too much of an overall judgement on Tannehills deep ability until...

A. The new offense gets in sync
B. The line blocks.

PS. I often wonder as well...why the coaches are so slow to adapt. it drives me batty.

Tannehill IS a good QB. The team is not. That's my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 10:47AM by JoeFootball.

Date: September 24, 2015 10:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> KB Wrote: Our O-Line is not good enough for the QB
> play we have right now.
>
>
> Marino would struggle behind this OL....
>
>
> Same thing happens with andrew luck.......with the
> difference that tannehill has better stats and
> playing better than andrew luck.
>
> Tannehills stats in 3 games
> over 500 yards passing
> 3 tds and no ints...
> Led his team in rushing against the jaguars.

The Caitlin Jenner look alike up in N.E. was getting rid of the ball against Buffalo in 2 seconds or less a lot of the time last week and was finding receivers and scoring.

You say Tannehill is 'struggling' but then quote good stats (and they are) but the fact is we lost to a team that was 3-13 a year ago and 20th against the pass. Largely, because we stalled on the opponents side of the field. Once they would sit on the dink dunk routes we collapsed.

It's not ALL on Tannehill, but neither is none of it on him. If the Line gave him enough to throw for 359 yards two TDs and no Ints on 44 attempts, they gave him enough to make a play or two when we needed it to keep scoring drives alive, and thats all it would have taken to win that game.

He's not Henne-mechanical but he's gonna have to step up and use that great mobility we were all sold on 5 years ago to scramble or run for yardage or whatever it takes if he can't get the ball out fast enough.

I'm just sick of the same ol same ol EVERY year and the same old excuses. If the guy is worth $96 Mil, lets see it. If we are just waiting on a O Line that can give a care taker QB 5 sec in the pocket every down, why do we pay a guy that kind of money? Just get Phil Simms out of retirement for $500 a week lol...

Date: September 24, 2015 10:56AM

Teams change so much in the off season that what they did the previous year has little impact on who they are now.

Seahawks are 0-2 Ravens are 0-2, Colts are 0-2. Saints, Lions and Eagles are 0-2.

Would you rather be in their shoes?

The Falcons won 6 games last year and they are 2-0.

The Jets won 4 games last year and are 2-0.

Date: September 24, 2015 11:06AM

Cap, dav is a long time poster on this board and longer than the comings and goings of the poster(s) you are referencing.

Date: September 24, 2015 11:08AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Teams change so much in the off season

Granted, except for ours lol. So Joe are you saying you think the Jags are now...good? Tell you what, if they have a winning record this season, I'll send you a bottle of your favorite (as long as it's under $100) smileys with beer

Date: September 24, 2015 03:08PM

I'm saying that you just never know. Especially after two games.

But thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it. LOL This is the AFC South we are talking about...drinking smiley

Jags 1-1
Titans 1-1
Texans 0-2
Colts 0-2

Date: September 24, 2015 03:53PM

How can you refuse a bet that you can only win and it is not possible to lose?

As I understand it, if the Jags have a losing season KB gets nothing but if they have a winning season, then...........bottoms up! (That refers to bottles so get your mind out of the gutter who ever else is reading this).

Posted by: Damn-U-Kong-93 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 03:35AM

I think there are a lot of people out there still wanting a Dan Marino. TANN is doing fine. I think you don't like him.
I have seen 2 errant passes: the concussion pass and over-throwing Cameron.

Holding the ball too long, and foot work he's gonna have to continue to work on but he is a very accurate QB!!

Date: September 25, 2015 03:44AM

Marino always had the best pass blocking lines....>There is no doubt about that.

Run blocking probably not.... but pass blocking one of the best.

Date: September 25, 2015 03:49AM

We will see how good our coaching staff is this sunday.......The have seen bills and new england footage and see how fast brady is getting rid of the football...

The dolphins must do the same in order to win.

Date: September 25, 2015 03:51AM

The problem is the bills do no respect tannehill going deep like they respect brady going deep.....

There fore their db will play closer to the dolpihns receivers....making it harder for short completions.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.