HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It's the coaching.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
It's the coaching.
Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 20, 2015 02:53PM

I'm certainly not the first one to claim that our main problem is with our coaching staff, but these first two games prove it.

We have the talent, but the talent isn't providing results on the field.

We are making boneheaded penalties (esp on defense) at crucial times in the game. On the same play as a sacked quarterback on 3rd down, at the end of the half to put client in FG range etc. THAT is coaching.
Anybody remember when Don Shula was coach? We were consistently the least penalized team in the league.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt, but after two games I wonder if we could salvage the season by making coaching changes soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's the coaching.
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 20, 2015 03:01PM

Come on...the coaches can only do so much. They do not make the plays, or the penalties. Nor do they fail to excecute plays or have lapses in concentration. Coaches teach, guide, plan and inspire to a certain degree but its up to the players to get it done once the bodies start flying.

Right now the sky IS falling but the season is not lost, nor is it over.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 03:25PM

No coaches don't make the plays but they put together gameplans to max the talent on the team.

We plug Suh in and expect the run d to be solved so we play base d. he get's doubled every play.

sorry but I've defended philbin long enough. we drafted a deep threat with size. i don't give a sh!t that he missed camp, you get him involved. Instead he sits and rots.

We're playing to the personality of our coach. A wet emotionless, lifeless, boring rag.

He's coaching this year for his job. Do you see any sense of urgency? I sure don't. I see a guy that thinks coyle is competent and that Suh will fix everything.

Let lippett and McCain take their lumps. Get Vigil out there. Get Parker on the field.

Time for Joe and Coyle to go.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 03:29PM

I don't agree. While the handling of the clock at the end of the first half might have been questioned(or maybe not- poor play resulted), coaches didn't miss that field goal, miss all those tackles, bite on the short inside move when the safety is on the other side of the fieldso you don't have help over the top, stick their hands in a receiver's face in front of officials(twice) and have other players commit 11 other fouls, drop a sure interception in your hands with just minutes left, and many other bad things, such as letting an inferior team jump out to an early lead. The linebackers have been so bad against the run that the d-line has to concentrate on stopping the run themselves instead of concentrating on forcing runners into gaps where linbackers are supposed to be and aren't or getting pressure on the QB. Nobody is getting off blocks. Nobody is blocking very well. I'll just leave it there as there are so many more pathetic things and I'm making myself sick. However, this isn't coaching, its as poor play from the players. Everybody except Tannehill, Landry, Cameron, and Matthews ought to hang their heads.
**edited to say: There were a few other bright spots I missed - Stoneburner converted his first opportunity and Darr punted well.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 04:11PM by dolphan4545.

Date: September 20, 2015 03:38PM

Well, Lippett and McCain can't be worse than Aikens was today, but Vigil has been out there and has been pretty terrible, and Parker caught one pass three yards short of the first down marker and didn't make much of an effort to convert. I don't think these young guys are the answer.

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 20, 2015 03:39PM

My one big gripe was Landry being an idiot and fair catching the damn ball (which was a bullet mind you) on the 7 or 8 yard line with the game in the balance when the punt clearly would have either bounced into the endzone or defied the laws of Psychics.

I find that hard to blame on the coach. Now for Damien Williams only getting one hand off. etc.

Date: September 20, 2015 03:42PM

Agree about Landry's punt fair catch faux pas.

Rick

Date: September 20, 2015 03:46PM

Rick, the team isn't ready to play. They show up and get blown off the ball. That's on the coaches.

The skins ran all over us so what did we do to adjust? Line up in base D and let jax run all over us.

Too conservative all the time.

Jax blitzed the crap out of us our last two possessions. It won them the game. We hope our front 4 can get pressure. That's coaching.

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 03:52PM

The truth of the matter is concerning coaches ;

1.They come up with the game plan, 2.They choose the players that make the team and the positions they play and 3. They make all pertinent decisions to the operation of the team on and off the playing field.

Coaching is responsible for the losses. No free pass from me. The head coach is a direct reflection of the team. Think Belichek has no control over everything. Think again if you think so. Just compare him to Philbin !!

Date: September 20, 2015 03:52PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come on...the coaches can only do so much.

Yes, but can OURS?

I'm not sure.

They do
> not make the plays, or the penalties.

But the players do under their tutelage.

Technically coaches can make penalties and yes the players commit them. But tell me, how often did our players make penalties under Shula? And how often did they make the same penalty more than once under Shula?

Coaches teach, guide, plan and
> inspire to a certain degree

Yup. But What is *our* certain degree right now?

>
> Right now the sky IS falling but the season is not
> lost, nor is it over.

I'm not calling it over either. And I'm definitely not a sky-is-falling type of person. At all.

I meant my OP as more of an open ended question? Do we make changes now? Later? After the season is already lost? What kind of changes? Assistant coach or two? I'm not advocating tossing out the entire staff necessarily.

Date: September 20, 2015 03:54PM

the pats are starting two rookies on their oline. they have a rag tag group of rbs and wrs. but you know what they do have? a good coach and system.

their D sucks out loud so they attack at will on o to try to make the D's job easier.

I wonder what our gameplan was today. What did we try to take away from their offense? Who or what position did we attack on their D?

We did nothing. We showed up and ran our offense...whatever it is and lined up in base d and tried to stop them.

pathetic.

every team knows to run it right at us and to blitz the crap out of us. they'll continue to do that until our staff learns how to counter it.

Date: September 20, 2015 03:58PM

or we can keep spending big on other team's FA and think that'll fix the problem.

Date: September 20, 2015 04:01PM

one more performance like today's and I should be a scratch golfer by the end of the season.

Date: September 20, 2015 04:02PM

Date: September 20, 2015 04:13PM

Bitter, bitter. Bet you change your mind by Thursday.

Rick

Date: September 20, 2015 04:39PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> one more performance like today's and I should be
> a scratch golfer by the end of the season.

You just reminded me of that guy who goes riding his motorcycle on Sundays every year, after he considers the season to be over. Which is after about 2 or 3 weeks.

Date: September 20, 2015 05:37PM

JC Wrote:
> I'm certainly not the first one to claim that our
> main problem is with our coaching staff, but these
> first two games prove it.
>
> We have the talent, but the talent isn't providing
> results on the field.
>
> We are making boneheaded penalties (esp on
> defense) at crucial times in the game. On the same
> play as a sacked quarterback on 3rd down, at the
> end of the half to put client in FG range etc.
> THAT is coaching.
> Anybody remember when Don Shula was coach? We
> were consistently the least penalized team in the
> league.
>
> I usually give the benefit of the doubt, but after
> two games I wonder if we could salvage the season
> by making coaching changes soon.

Yep. Nothing much to add to that .

sad smileythumbs down

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 20, 2015 06:34PM

Isn't this funny? The one game where I don't see that "It's the coaching," everyone else does.

I would have like to have seen more of Damien Williams but poor player execution (BTW Tanny threw the ball away when he should have much more today), poor oline blocking, etc. was what I saw.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: September 20, 2015 08:53PM

Yes it is, and more specifically offensive coaching. This team can't score.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:59AM

One things for sure, Kevin Coyle should of been shown the door after last season, for this failure to pull the trigger, it will probably cost Philbin his job as well.

Where the hell was the pressure all day long? You let any QB sit in the pocket and he'll pick you apart. Not sure if he's taking the "simplfy the D" to the next level or what, but if this D doesn't figure it out soon this team is doomed.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:31AM

Coaches are not getting the max out of this team and this staff has never done that.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:50AM

Main problem with this team is offensive line....

On defense we are allowing 33 points in 2 games....>And average of about 15 points per game...So far...

I know everybody is accountable but the main problem is offensive line....

If we can run the ball and control the tempo, it would be a different story.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 04:10AM

Regardless of what we think, Philbin won't survive a non-playoff season. This will be a non-playoff season. Can't stop the run to save our life. One decent but aging corner. One decent linebacker. No decent guards. A tackle who would be very good but can't stay healthy and hence on the field. His replacement stinks to high heaven. A defensive coordinator whose defense has gotten progressively worse each year he's been here. Under his leadership, we have a 100 million dollar defensive tackle whose made, maybe 3 or 4 tackles this year. My question, who will be the next coach of the Fins? Who will be available? Who should be making personnel decisions next year?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 04:19AM

Tannenbaum and Marino have Ross' ear. No doubt they see what we see. I can't imagine Marino shrugging it off with a "Oh well, it was a tough game on the road."

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: September 21, 2015 04:54AM

It pains me to think that Miami is going to have to hire a new coach again (I long for the Shula days), but yesterday's performance was absolutely unacceptable. Is all on the coaches? No, it's never that clear cut but it seemed clear that this team was unprepared to play a game that they should've won easily. Since you can't fire the team...

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 21, 2015 05:24AM

IMO the coaches are just unimaginative at best and unable to see talent/prepare for specific opponents (dumb) at worst. Really, at this level what can a coach 'teach' a player? they are professionals that have been playing football since they could walk. The coaches job in the NFL is two fold. 1.) See your talent and design a team to take advantage of that talent. 2.) See your opponents strengths and weaknesses and design game plans for your team to give them the best chance of winning against the same. Our coaches seem to not be very good at either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 05:31AM by KB.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: September 21, 2015 06:17AM

Week 1: Defensive players were furious at coaches for lack of in-game adjustments.

Week 2: Defensive leader in a blatant disrespectful move to the defensive coordinator and d-line coach, goes freelance and ignores defensive calls.

Cam Wake plays 15 snaps. None in the second half. When asked about it he said...."ask the coach". He did have a hamstring injury during the week and was listed as questionable. he sounded like he thought he could play but he is a liability vs the run.

Sounds to me like Kevin Coyle has lost the team (again). The guys that were here last year were not happy with him in 2014. Now all the players have no respect for him. This is on Philbin for not recognizing the situation. Should have made a change at he beginning of the year. Now it's too late unless you are promoting a position coach. None of which are worthy IMO.

I still think they need to make a call to Jim Schwartz. He is not much of a HC but is a hell of a DC. He has worked with Suh before and runs a 4-3 defense.

Has a DC ever been fired in season?

Date: September 21, 2015 06:37AM

Totally agree Joe. What is the possible down side of bringing in Schwartz? Suh is ignoring Coyle's defensive calls? Is there anything more definitive in the way of evidence that he's lost the team? I've heard a lot of negative stuff about Suh in terms of dirty play, etc. but I've never heard that he ignored the coaches calls. If I were Ross, I'd tell Philbin that either Coyle goes or Philbin and Coyle go. His choice.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 06:51AM

I agree that it is the coaching.... The game plans have been shit, the adjustments have been extremely poor, the team doesnt seem prepared, the tackling is horrible. overall execution, and way too many penalites... All of it is tied together and the biggest chunk of the blame falls on the coaches... I think the team is just flat with very little emotion other then Landry... The team reminds me of Philbin's personality, which is not a good thing... We just can't seem to get it together...

Last year we came out of the gate vs the Pats looking like contenders, this year we look like pretenders..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: September 21, 2015 07:27AM

It also seems that a couple of our receivers who were supposed to be starters are not getting open. Kenny Stills and Greg Jennings.

Right now the only receiving options seem to be Landry, Mathews and Cameron. The fastest guys are being outperformed by the slowest.

It looks like Parker will probably take over for Jennings sooner than I anticipated if Jennings continues this way. Of course that will depend on DP getting integrated back in the offense.

Brice McCain got killed in coverage. Walt Aikens is a disappointment so far. I would replace him with Thomas ASAP.

Our o-line...is not blocking. James has not even looked good. I think Linkenback is the better choice over Fox, who was terrible. Douglas was not good.

How can anyone expect anything out of Lamar Miller with the way the line is playing?

I don't know how the hell we are going to block anyone from Buffalo this week! The Buffalo D-line is going to kill those guys. Better take some notes from Brady and the short, quick passing game. 2 seconds and gone!

Now Albert has a HS injury and Cameron has a groin injury.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.