HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on robert ayers...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts on robert ayers...
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 23, 2009 11:51AM

I was just thinking, what do you guys think about drafting him if he fell to us at #25 to replace matt roth? Ayers is as good a run stopper (maybe better) and would provide a MUCh better pass rush than roth... thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on robert ayers...
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 23, 2009 11:56AM

Date: April 23, 2009 12:36PM

robert ayers cant play a 3/4 olb, so he cant replace roth, i have a feeling we will be drafting clint stintim from virginia, one of the best rushers from the linebacker position, has the size parcells like and comes al groh system, i dont think we will take him with the first pick but maybe with our first 2nd round pick

Date: April 23, 2009 01:05PM

I think the problem is that with joey porter on the other side and our suspect interior LB's we dont have the luxury of drafting a pure pass rusher because who is going to help the run?

MiamiDolphins4Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> robert ayers cant play a 3/4 olb, so he cant
> replace roth,

I dont see why not.

Roth did not play any OLB in his 4 years at Iowa, nor did he play OLB in his first three years in the NFL. He was moved their last year from DE.

Matt Roth 6'4'' 275
Robert Ayers 6'3'' 270

So I dont understand your argument that ayers cannot play a 3/4. How do you know? Maybe you can elaborate. Anyhow the major difference is I think ayers is quicker and more explosive off the ball. Also I think that roth would be better suited at ILB/MLB, the position he played coming into college.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 23, 2009 01:07PM

Thank You for mentioning Larry English PF2. I feel like I'm this guys biggest (and maybe only) fan on this board. I would rather have English than any of USC's linebackers or Ayers for that matter. I think he could wreak havoc at OLB while in the mix at that position with with Wake, Roth, and Porter (potentially becoming Porter's replacement)

Date: April 23, 2009 01:08PM

My concern is if we draft a pure pass rusher in the first round when will he be on the field? If he cant stop the run he will only be out their on passing downs and we already have guys on our current roster that can do that... So with porter on the other side as a run liability I dont know if we will get our moneys worth.

JMO

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 23, 2009 01:52PM

I understand the concern over drafting another one trick pony pass rusher who while valuable in passing situations, would suffer in coverage and struggle against the run.

However, in my opinion, English won't have any such problems. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar in pass coverage per-se, but he was a pretty stout run defender at the collegiate level who can make big tackles in open space. The write-ups on the guy praise his ability to run down the ball carrier and cover a lot of space from side line to side line by being able to change direction pretty fluidly. Not sure if the combine drills showed that, but the film on him seems to back it up. I don't think he's a one trick pony the way Maybin may turn out to be. I think this guy's a player who can pressure the QB, and stuff the run, as opposed to being a liability there. Pass coverage is still a question mark.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:07PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:32PM

Ayers value has sky rocketed and Mayock calls him the best defender in the draft in 3 years.

I haven't seen anyone project him to OLB because of tight hips and I agree he is a true DE. He is said to be a violent player.

I would be shocked if he slipped past Buffalo at 11.

I think English is a quality player and would not be disappointed to have him if SIP deems him worthy of a #25. He may be taken by NE ahead of us though.

I am intrigued most by Connor Barwin. He is just plain and simple a great athlete. I don't care that he only played one year at DE. The fact that he was able to switch positions and play at the level he did outweighs the inexperience. He will only get better. He can play TE/4-3 DE and/or OLB. He is the fastest DE/OLB in the draft and has great size.

I hear someone on ESPN say the other day that he thinks Aaron Maybin is a "Jason Taylor" type of player and they would not be surprised to see him have the same kind of NFL career. That is a bold statement. I do not agree.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 24, 2009 04:12AM

I like English as well. I just have him behind Rey Maualuga.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 24, 2009 10:19AM

id rather have a zach thomas ILB and leave roth wake and porter to take the outside, i mean come on chrowder? downfield tacklin machine, LAURINITOUS AT THE LINE TACKLIN MACHINE. i rest my case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.