Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Good post I found on 2nd rd pick, Jordon Phillips....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Good post I found on 2nd rd pick, Jordon Phillips....
Date: May 03, 2015 08:45AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good post I found on 2nd rd pick, Jordon Phillips....
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 03, 2015 09:39AM

I don't like the pick. Phillips never 'got it' at OK. He never turned it on where he got the the double teaming from an oline that his size and talent demanded. Looking at a lot of film on this guy I see opposing offenses stick a center on him and call it a day.

Right now Im not liking this guy. No guts, no fire and from what Im reading here, excuses.

Date: May 03, 2015 11:29AM

That seems to be the take on him. Lets see if he has what it takes mentally to succeed in the NFL.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 03, 2015 11:42AM

Very good article. Let's you into his life. He grew up in Dustbowl Kansas and I grew up in Dustbowl Oklahoma, directly south and north of each other.

Kinda hard to believe that they didn't kick his butt at OU and get that lazy attitude out of him. Times must have changed.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 03, 2015 12:52PM

Its not Switzer's Oklahoma anymore. Just like the U is not the U anymore. Different generation of kids. Kids used to come to campus motivated now these kids have to 'feel the love'. Proud programs like Nebraska, Washington Penn St are so far from where they were in their glory years.

Date: May 03, 2015 03:20PM

No doubt you are right.

You know the old saying, "Things ain't what they used to be."

To which a wag added, "And you know something else? They never were what they used to be."

Date: May 03, 2015 04:37PM

Well I hope he feels the love here in Miami and develops a backbone to crush Tom Brady.........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 03, 2015 04:58PM

But Mizzou, when you said Barry Switzer, I knew who you meant but I also knew I wasn't there when he coached.

I looked it up.

Try BUD WILKINSON!!!!

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: May 04, 2015 02:15AM

Not going pass judgment on him until I see what he brings to the NFL field. So far I like what I see in physical ability...the mind though it can be a tricky thing. Fortunately for Phillips and Dolphins fans, he will not have to be the "man" unless something happens to Suh.

He will be more like Darby/Spires were to Sapp in the Bucs Super Bowl season.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: May 04, 2015 10:05AM

There are a few people in this world that are so good at what they do that when the competition isn't stiff, they lose interest and a lack of motivation is the result. Phillips may be one of these gifted people who play football. A guy like this needs stiff competition to keep his interest up. If he realizes that the opposing competition isn't an easy mark, he just may bear down in order to get the desired result. His lack of "motor," however, may be something entirely different than what is in his mind, such as conditioning. We will see what he's like during camp and the pre-season.

As always, I'm hoping he's a gem and excels for the Dolphins. cool smiley

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 04, 2015 10:44AM

I initially bitched about the Landry pick so I will hold judgement. drinking smiley

I do like the story though and will be rooting for the kid. He may just like being rich and want to get another contract.

Date: May 04, 2015 04:24PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are a few people in this world that are so
> good at what they do that when the competition
> isn't stiff, they lose interest and a lack of
> motivation is the result. Phillips may be one of
> these gifted people who play football. A guy like
> this needs stiff competition to keep his interest
> up. If he realizes that the opposing competition
> isn't an easy mark, he just may bear down in order
> to get the desired result. His lack of "motor,"
> however, may be something entirely different than
> what is in his mind, such as conditioning. We will
> see what he's like during camp and the pre-season.
>
>
> As always, I'm hoping he's a gem and excels for
> the Dolphins. cool smiley

I like this take. When the going gets tough he just may rise to the occasion .
Unlike say.....J Martin who couldn't when faced with competition.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 05, 2015 03:15AM

His inconsistent play could be any number of things. One could be just a lack of experience. The kid has only started 17 games in Oklahoma and was dealing with a back injury.

Prior to getting surgery, he only started 4 games and played in 8. Not sure how advanced these scouts and media really expected him to be at that stage. When a guy is inconsistent, the first thing they assume is a lack of football character. It is not east to get out of bed with a severe back injury, let alone play football. It's also hard to concentrate on conditioning.

The injury is a bit worrisome as it reminds me of another guy his size...Daryl Gardner. He was 6'6 300 lbs and Phillips is an inch shorter & 30 lbs heavier.

I'm sure the surgery method is much improved since the 1990's. Now they do much more with laser surgery and it isn't as invasive.

He did have 3.5 sacks from the NT position last year. I don't remember anyone in Miami doing much better as a 3-4 NT. Mayock says he controls the run game.

I am not too worried about football character when I look back at the inexperience and lack of playing time. What else would you expect all things considered?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: May 05, 2015 04:50AM

I thought he said the coaches didn't use him properly.

At least he is not a trouble making head case, there is something there to work with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.