HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          QB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
QB
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: May 02, 2015 08:10AM

Need to take Hundley if there could be better than Tannehill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: QB
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 02, 2015 10:11AM

He was snatched just two picks or so above us. Dammit. But like the praise they heaped upon the Packers for picking him (AND THE PACKERS HAVE AARON RODGERS), they say you never know what's going to happen with your QB during the course of the season.

Matt Moore is getting old.

But you see, jlyell, folks jumped all over me for suggesting weeks ago, that we might want to grab him in the second round. No one knew that he would drop this far but we had plenty of chances to grab him.

But I have been very critical of Philbin, the leadership, etc and it appears that the majority of the board thinks just like them.

I would hate to hear what the poster who believes that his word is the truth and the rest of the people in this board would have said back in 1983 when we drafted Dan Marino at the same time that David Woodley had led us to the Super Bowl the year before.

They are gonna call me an outright liar but you can bet if they had been on this board instead of in diapers or in utero, they would have been talking about other needs than a quarterback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 10:13AM by ChyrenB.

Date: May 02, 2015 10:50AM

They didn't sign Tannehill to a long term deal so that tells me they aren't sure either. Maybe next year in a higher round

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 02, 2015 10:59AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They didn't sign Tannehill to a long term deal so
> that tells me they aren't sure either. Maybe next
> year in a higher round

Is that what that tells you?

Several reporters have indicated that we have trying to work out a long term deal with RT before exercising the 5th year option for 2016 on Thursday, and that they will continue to do so up until the start of that league year next March.

We'll draft a QB next year. And it will not be early in the draft. It will be mid to late in the draft and the guy will be a cheap replacement for Matt Moore, not RT.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 02, 2015 11:03AM

Where is the roll your eyes emoji?

Date: May 02, 2015 11:08AM

Date: May 02, 2015 11:16AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Where is the roll your eyes emoji?

Maybe none of us but you and the poster who asserts his word to be the truth should post.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 02, 2015 11:23AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where is the roll your eyes emoji?
>
>
> Maybe none of us but you and the poster who
> asserts his word to be the truth should post.

It's all good Bob. I don't mind a good debate. I welcome all your ideas...but I do have the right to disagree. We're all fans. Nothing personal.

Date: May 02, 2015 11:31AM

Yeah, Ed I would have taken him in the second. I still think history will praise Green Bay,...and we will be what we've been for the last couple of decades....pedestrians.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 02, 2015 12:39PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> He was snatched just two picks or so above us.
> Dammit. But like the praise they heaped upon the
> Packers for picking him (AND THE PACKERS HAVE
> AARON RODGERS), they say you never know what's
> going to happen with your QB during the course of
> the season.
>
> Matt Moore is getting old.
>
> But you see, jlyell, folks jumped all over me for
> suggesting weeks ago, that we might want to grab
> him in the second round. No one knew that he
> would drop this far but we had plenty of chances
> to grab him.
>
> But I have been very critical of Philbin, the
> leadership, etc and it appears that the majority
> of the board thinks just like them.
>
> I would hate to hear what the poster who believes
> that his word is the truth and the rest of the
> people in this board would have said back in 1983
> when we drafted Dan Marino at the same time that
> David Woodley had led us to the Super Bowl the
> year before.
>
> They are gonna call me an outright liar but you
> can bet if they had been on this board instead of
> in diapers or in utero, they would have been
> talking about other needs than a quarterback.

Anything happens to RT and Miami has Moore to step in. He's considered one of the best back ups in the league. Who is behind Rodgers? Yes, Moore is getting old, but there is time to address the QB situation. This draft (early on) was not the time.

Miami had far too many holes to fill to be concerned about the QB position. Moore can handle it. Moore adds on another years age and next year may be the time to address QB in the mid-rounds.

1983? Marino was considered one of the best QBs being drafted; Shula couldn't believe he was still there for Miami to choose. As Shula said..."Woodley is an athlete playing QB; Marino is a QB playing QB." It was a no-brainer for Shula. Woodley did not lead the Fins to the Super Bowl; he was just the QB on the team that went to the Super Bowl. Besides, until Marino came along, it was WoodStrock playing QB.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 02, 2015 01:43PM

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, was suggesting that David Woodley was our franchise QB and we had no need to draft a QB in 1983. NOBODY.

Woodley was a gimmick/stop gap after Greise retired. He was never considered a long term answer. The thing about the 1983 draft was that the odds that an elite QB would fall into our lap were slim.

Fortunately for us, the Jets liked Ken OBrien and the raiders were asleep at the switch.

Date: May 02, 2015 02:35PM

Yes, Cap but you have to remember Marino went 6th out of the tauted six.

Elway, Ken O Brien, Ken Easley, Todd Blackledge and Jim Kelly. So for the Don to say he was surprised ....eh.....

Still say what you will about Woodley, what walked the pooch on him was his failure to complete a pass in the second half of that SuperBowl.

But hey....am I here to argue with Don Shula??????

LOL. I'm saying that the present team leadership is NOT Don Shula-like. That was my point.

Date: May 02, 2015 02:43PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, was suggesting that
> David Woodley was our franchise QB and we had no
> need to draft a QB in 1983. NOBODY.

Great memory for a Baby you have Ed. How old were you?

There was a lot of disappointment with Woodley in the prior SUPERBOWL AT THE ROSE BOWL.

But to say that we would NOT DRAFT A QB (which I was not saying) AS OPPOSED TO WE WOULD DRAFT ONE OF THE HOT SIX is another question.

But I'm sure if YOU IN PARTICULAR had been around and able to put in your 2 cents worth, you would have been against drafting Dan as much as you have been against drafting Hundley.

Of course, if history proves you wrong now, it will be like "Why do you keep beating a dead horse?"

>
> Woodley was a gimmick/stop gap after Greise
> retired. He was never considered a long term
> answer.

I remember an interview that Griese did as an announcer when he interviewed Woodley the year prior to that 1983 draft.

From that interview the statement you made about Woodley only being a stop-gap is (as it certainly was at the time) ridiculous.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 03, 2015 05:28AM

Date: May 03, 2015 03:42PM

So why don't you quote whatever prior posting I made where I SAID pick Bret Hundley in the FIRST round? It would be so easy.

Why settle for a post where I said pick HIM in the second round OR CODY KESSLER IN THE first or second ROUND INSTEAD of a direct quote before that where I supposedly said pick Hundley in the first round.

The reference to Woodley and Marino was that unlike what the poster who really believes every word he says to be "THE Truth" said that we never thought Woodley would be a top grade quarterback when we selected him and that he was only intended to be a stop gap between Griese and Marino, we actually, at the time, had Don Strock as the backup QB. Despite his round selection, we thought at the time that Woodley was it. And I remember a little jealousy going on between he, Woodley, and Griese who thought Strock should have succeed him (Griese that is).

Sorry for that diversion into Woodley and Marino but you know, killing two birds with one stone and all.

Date: May 03, 2015 07:09PM

I saw the show where they test prospects and Hundley tore it up on release speed and accuracy

Date: May 03, 2015 07:23PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> I saw the show where they test prospects and
> Hundley tore it up on release speed and accuracy

I saw the same thing when he was at UCLA

And if Tanny tears an ACL or suffers a career if not season ending injury then we will be standing around with our hands in our pockets and a sad look upon our face and if the same thing has happened to GB, they might not miss a beat.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: May 04, 2015 12:40AM

you guys quoted enough for me to validate why i ignore chryenb's posts.

Date: May 04, 2015 03:03AM

sorry, double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 03:20AM by dolphaholic.

Date: May 04, 2015 03:03AM

Date: May 04, 2015 08:41AM

1) October of 2014 (College football season is in early stages)

2) Bottom of the first round FOR JAMEIS WINSTON

SO

3) if Winston is not there, get Hundley at the bottom of the first round, yeah, not top of the second, right. Big difference.

Date: May 04, 2015 09:31AM

Date: May 04, 2015 09:49AM

Date: May 04, 2015 10:27AM

It goes back to the Tom Brady/Tony Romo scenarios, if Hundley develops into a great QB one day, more power to him and whatever team he's on, but if Green Bay really thought he was going to, they would of picked him sooner......in other words, getting Brady in the 6th round doesn't make Belicheck a genius, it makes him extremely lucky, what would of made him a genius is if he would of seen something the rest of the NFL didn't and drafted him a lot earlier than where he was expected to go, same as Hundley. Maybe G Bay gets lucky, but just because they took a flyer on him in the 5th rnd doesn't prove anything yet.

Date: May 04, 2015 11:03AM

Date: May 04, 2015 11:18AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I'm glad you brought up Brady.
>
> Your words in the last post were very cautious and
> careful but in the prior post you said, "Spin it
> however you want now, but the fact of the matter
> is, you were pushing taking a 5th round QB in the
> 1st round. "
>
> Translation of that statement: "See Brett Hundley
> was no more than a 5th round talent."
>
> Glad you QUICKLY remembered that Tom Brady was
> actually a "6th round" QB and THEREFORE THE ROUND
> IN WHICH A PERSON IS DRAFTED IS NOT AN INDICATION
> OF HIS TALENT"....if anything just
>
> COMBINATION of
>
> 1) what some so called experts and football
> personnel think at the time
>
> and
>
> 2) what those same experts on those same teams
> FEEL is higher priority.
>
> Look at how you guys kept screaming for us to
> draft offensive line in this draft and were itchy
> when we went WR and DL first.

Brady is clearly the exception, not the norm, and I simply used him as an example of how lucky BB got in taking a flyer on him. I can easily name probably hundreds of QB's drafted in the lower rounds that never panned out, you can probably count on one hand the ones that did.

And who are the "you guys" that were screaming for O-line in the first?

Date: May 04, 2015 01:34PM

Date: May 04, 2015 03:42PM

Correction, it was The Truth who first suggested taking Gurley, you just rode his coattails spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.