HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          La'El Collins News
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: La'El Collins News
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 05, 2015 09:40AM

Tennessee also has no state tax...the only teams I've heard that are doing meetings so far are Miami, Buffalo and Dallas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 05, 2015 09:53AM

I wouldnt take juwan james out of his right tackle position. He did very well there last year.

Date: May 05, 2015 10:06AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 05, 2015 10:10AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dolphins players are going all out to land La’el
> Collins.
>
> Receiver Jarvis Landry, linebacker Kelvin Sheppard
> and defensive tackle Anthony Johnson — all
> former LSU players who are close with Collins —
> traveled to Baton Rouge today on an recruiting
> trip of sorts.
>
> Center Mike Pouncey also appears to be on the
> trip, posting a photo on Instagram of him and
> Landry on a plane. PBPost
>
> See photo

Why do I see the NFL looking into this? I hope they went on their own

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: May 05, 2015 10:11AM

Pro football talk is reporting that La'el Collins can not meeting with teams until LSU finals are done (May 9th). It makes a little more sense why the philbin & exec's didn't join the Dolphin players.

Date: May 05, 2015 10:13AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 10:14AM by samsam3738.

Date: May 05, 2015 10:14AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 10:15AM by samsam3738.

Date: May 05, 2015 10:25AM

Ian RapoportVerified account
?@RapSheet
Some #Dolphins & ex-#LSU teammates are trying to recruit La’El Collins today. No Dolphins employees to be present. Players went on their own

Found my own answer

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 05, 2015 12:17PM

“Clubs are prohibited from visiting a player who was eligible for the 2015 Draft at his campus or residence if the player has withdrawn from school and final exams have yet to conclude at the school,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email. “This includes drafted players, any undrafted players that have signed as free agents, and any undrafted players that have yet to sign.”

Collins has withdrawn from LSU, and final exams have not concluded there yet. (Finals are happening this week.) So teams can’t visit a player at his campus or residence. PFT

And Rex....????

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 05, 2015 12:35PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> “Clubs are prohibited from visiting a player who
> was eligible for the 2015 Draft at his campus or
> residence if the player has withdrawn from school
> and final exams have yet to conclude at the
> school,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT
> via email. “This includes drafted players, any
> undrafted players that have signed as free agents,
> and any undrafted players that have yet to
> sign.”
>
> Collins has withdrawn from LSU, and final exams
> have not concluded there yet. (Finals are
> happening this week.) So teams can’t visit a
> player at his campus or residence. PFT
>
> And Rex....????

Unless Collins lived at the restaurant or it was on LSU's campus, I don't see how it matters.

These rules are all stupid anyway. This rule, and the one that keeps players from participating in OTA's until their school year ends are straight out of the NCAA chapter on "Asinine Rules for Absolutely No Logical Reason."

Date: May 05, 2015 01:32PM

Date: May 05, 2015 01:43PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Unless Collins lived at the restaurant or it was
> on LSU's campus, I don't see how it matters.
>
> I've seen NO official clarification on this. Only
> speculation from Mike Florio. He even said that he
> did not know the exact language and also said he
> has no idea if Rex violated the rule or not.
>
> As far as the rule, I don't see a problem with it.
> They want these kids to graduate and not be
> messing around when they should be studying for
> finals.

That's the point. Guys that want to graduate will graduate. Guys that don't, well why bother promoting the hypocrisy that is the NCAA by forcing guys who aren't real students to continue the illusion that they actually are there for an education?

And what about the guys who come out after their Junior or Redshirt Sophomore years? They aren't going to graduate unless they want to invest a few more years in school, which they aren't. They've chosen a vocation and all the rule does is keep them for preparing properly to succeed in their chosen field.

Its a silly rule the NFL agreed to only to allow the NCAA to maintain the illusion its educating athletes and not cashing in on them.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 05, 2015 04:03PM

Whats silly is that they let them play pro sports without graduating from college...shouldn't be allowed if you don't. JMO and YMMV.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 05, 2015 04:34PM

Ken Wrote:
> Whats silly is that they let them play pro sports
> without graduating from college...shouldn't be
> allowed if you don't. JMO and YMMV.

Yeah, the good ole days.

But I remember a kid who was going to be a top draft pick about 5 or 6 years ago and decided to go back, either to get his degree or get the Heisman or help his team win a National Championship.

But you know what happened that ensuing season? He got a career ending injury.

So unless he doesn't play in those extra years in which it takes him to graduate, that's a risk.

But even if he does not play in those extra years or single year when he is getting his degree, he still could get injured.

My law school roommate grew up in Compton. He used to laugh about how the ole Folks used to tell kids from the inner city to make sure they got that degree. But the joke was that when some college athletes were being offered millions, some ole folks would say, "But you're not gonna get your degree?"

Of course, the joke was that we used to strive to get jobs that would pay us five figures or six figures as a dream. That was the purpose of going to college in the first place. But when someone is offering you millions then the old reason for going to college has indeed been satisfied.

So tell the guy who is going to drop out and be a plumber to stay in college. The guy who will make millions can always go back to college AFTER his career.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 05, 2015 05:24PM

ridiculous. Some super talented computer programer gets an offer for 1mm per year from Microsoft his JR year and anyone would think less of him if he dropped out of school and took the job? There should be a rule saying you can't take that job unless you first graduate college? Same freaking thing. These players make a ton of money for their schools and have a rare skill and hone it in college---when they have the opportunity to cash in for that skill they have every right to do so without anyone saying the can't till they've finished their tests

Date: May 06, 2015 01:36AM

So....anyway,

Collins told future teammates that he will not sign until he is cleared by the BRPD. That tells me he is innocent. If he were guilty, he would sign ASAP so he can pocket some of the money in the mean time.

I love the fact that these guys are recruiting. Some premature "reports" wrote that the Miami Dolphins were using the players to recruit but Landry told the local reporter..."NO, for real. We, the players charters the plane."

On a side note, the 4 players think so little of Joe Philbin and his staff, they spent thousands of dollars to go on a trip to convince their college buddy to come to Miami...you know...because it sucks so bad there.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 06, 2015 02:45AM

JoeFootball Wrote:

>
> I love the fact that these guys are recruiting.
> Some premature "reports" wrote that the Miami
> Dolphins were using the players to recruit but
> Landry told the local reporter..."NO, for real.
> We, the players charters the plane."
>
> On a side note, the 4 players think so little of
> Joe Philbin and his staff, they spent thousands of
> dollars to go on a trip to convince their college
> buddy to come to Miami...

That is why they brought along Pouncey.... To pay for the charter... None of the other guys, make charter your own Jet money... Pouncey on the other hand.... Good for him, for taking one for the team, teammates and hopefully future teammate...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 06, 2015 03:12AM

haha. Exactly what I was thinking. That's just Tootsies Cabaret pocket money for him.

Date: May 06, 2015 03:36AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > I love the fact that these guys are recruiting.
> > Some premature "reports" wrote that the Miami
> > Dolphins were using the players to recruit but
> > Landry told the local reporter..."NO, for real.
> > We, the players charters the plane."
> >
> > On a side note, the 4 players think so little
> of
> > Joe Philbin and his staff, they spent thousands
> of
> > dollars to go on a trip to convince their
> college
> > buddy to come to Miami...
>
>
> That is why they brought along Pouncey.... To pay
> for the charter... None of the other guys, make
> charter your own Jet money... Pouncey on the other
> hand.... Good for him, for taking one for the
> team, teammates and hopefully future teammate...

I heard they made Jonathon Martin pay for itspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 06, 2015 04:31AM

If you believe this fool

Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 1h1 hour ago
I asked a league insider & he told me teams were scared because La'el Collins SUPPOSEDLY had threatening texts to the woman.

As far as him signing, I think this things gonna linger for a while, he says he wont sign until he's cleared, with the possibility that he could of hired someone to do it, he probably won't be 100% clear until they arrest someone and give a credible motive that doesn't involve Collins. My hopes were up yesterday but they are starting to wane a bit, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 06, 2015 11:03AM

Sending threatening text is not the same as murder or being involved in one. Being you and hot headed and blooded young men can say things that are threatening when breaking off a relationship I have been there.

I really hope this kid is innocent. There are enough examples out there, Rae Caruth, Gonzalez to show that you will not get away with a crime like this. I really hope this kid is smart enough not to think that he is Mikey Corleone and can go around putting contracts out on people.

He is an Eagle scout I hope he always remembers that.

What worries me is I keep hearing him say that he has a rock solid alibi. That does not answer the question were you in anyway involved in this?

Date: May 06, 2015 11:25AM

I doubt they would clear him until they arrest another person and that may not happen for months, if ever. so it the "all clear" is needed this may never end.

Date: May 06, 2015 01:34PM

no Paternity test yet. That would help in clearing him or providing motive. How long ago did the relationship end?

Date: May 06, 2015 03:07PM

Well, a case may remain open "on the books" forever. That's what cold cases are all about.

The bad thing is that neither the police nor the prosecutors are going to make a statement like "this guy is cleared" until they make an arrest of another person AND BELIEVE that the arrestee's motive has nothing to do with La'el or his interests.

If they do, then they run a good risk of endangering any future prosecution. If they have to prosecute La'el, his defense attorneys will do the ole Johnny Cochran, "They locked on to my client from the beginning and never looked at any other possibility."

If on the other hand, they end up arresting some OTHER GUY, then HIS defense attorney will say, "Remember how they (the police and prosecution) were SO SURE IT was Collins that they came out and made a public statement. Well, now they've put my client on trial and NOW they are, in the same way, SURE that my client is guilty. Who's next?"

In this case, if they arrest some guy who was out at a club with her that night that she just met that La'el did not know and there are club witnesses who can testify to the confrontation between her and that guy, THEN La'el can be cleared. Other than that, I fear that La'el may never be "cleared" as the term goes.

It really sucks if he is innocent. Just having previous relations with this woman can turn him from a would be millionaire to a guy who will find it hard to even get a job.

And Joe, all the paternity test would tell is who is the actual father, NOT WHO A PERSON WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF THE RESULTS OF THAT FUTURE TEST might have thought himself to be the father. And even at that, being the father of an unborn fetus seems an odd motive for murder of a pregnant woman, even in this crazy age we live in.

Date: May 06, 2015 03:07PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> no Paternity test yet. That would help in clearing
> him or providing motive. How long ago did the
> relationship end?

Unless there was a paternity test, and he was aware he was not the father, BEFORE she was killed then it doesn't clear him at all.

I might prove he's not the dad, but that doesn't clear him of having done something stupid when he thought he was.

Date: May 06, 2015 05:26PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > no Paternity test yet. That would help in
> clearing
> > him or providing motive. How long ago did the
> > relationship end?
>
>
> Unless there was a paternity test, and he was
> aware he was not the father, BEFORE she was killed
> then it doesn't clear him at all.
>
> I might prove he's not the dad, but that doesn't
> clear him of having done something stupid when he
> thought he was.

I didn't say it would clear him. I said it would help. Especially if they have not even been together for 6 months and she was 3 months pregnant.

Besides....in the words of Maury, YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER. DNA tests are in.

Date: May 06, 2015 05:34PM

These are not the actions of a guilty man...

@AbramsonPBP

La'el Collins "passed a polygraph test administered by an independent investigator" per @JosinaAnderson, citing his reps

Date: May 06, 2015 06:08PM

If he passes the polygraph of an "independent" investigator, then he should be able to pass the test administered by police officers. So he should take one immediately, particularly if he is innocent. Any reluctance (not saying that he IS reluctant) to take a test administered by the police department indicates to me that his attorney must not have much faith the results will stand up if another polygraph is administered.

Polygraphs mainly measure your reaction to questions. The more excitement you show, the more the polygraph administer concludes deception. Thus, if you've passed another polygraph in the past that you THINK is valid, the more RELAXED you would be in the next polygraph, whether or not you are lying, and the LESS LIKELY a subsequent polygraph would indicate deception because you are so confident.

Bottom line, there is no reason for him not to submit to a police polygraph.

BTW, results of polygraphs are not admissible in court if challenged by either party. The Police use them as an investigative tool.

Date: May 06, 2015 06:20PM

are you nuts? why would a lie detector given by cops be more reliable than one given by an independent investigator. only human nature to be nervous when interviewed by cops, even if totally innocent, which would yield a false positive even if telling the truth. lie detectors are notoriously unreliable anyway, who would take a second after passing a first....

Date: May 07, 2015 02:25AM

Jason La CanforaVerified account
?@JasonLaCanfora
Would be surprised if Dolphins, who have been aggressive this offseason and whose players are recruiting him, aren't a finalist for Collins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 02:27AM by dolphaholic.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.