HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft idea
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Draft idea
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 26, 2015 11:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Draft idea
Date: April 26, 2015 11:46AM

Date: April 26, 2015 12:58PM

You can have the best recievers, the best running backs, you can have the second coming of Dan Marino......none of it matters without Olinemen. None of it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 26, 2015 01:41PM

With a drop down we have 2 seconds or a third to take an OL Kouandjio, harrison, Jackson, matias, Poutasi, marpet. Teams also find solid OL in later rounds, and early round guys like Martin are busts. We had solid OL & WR with marino, no running game

We also could drop down and take a Lael Collins , Ereck Flowers , Lakin Tomlinson and grab an RB in the second and WR in the third or 4th since signed Jennings Conley Harper will be there.

I could live with

Collins
Duke or David Johnson, , Abdullah, Yeldon or Ajayi
Rowe, Darby Epreke Olomu
Harper or Conley maybe Coates

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 02:10PM by jlyell13.

Date: April 26, 2015 02:18PM

Who knows, maybe we are satisfied with Damian Williams(I liked what I saw late last season) and hope to get Gillislee back healthy at RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 02:18PM by jlyell13.

Date: April 26, 2015 02:39PM

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: April 27, 2015 03:12AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 27, 2015 03:53AM

I really don't want to spend our first round pick on a guy who's never played the position we are expecting him to start at

Date: April 27, 2015 04:14AM

I wasn't advocating for Erving at 14 but since you brough it up, that eliminates just about every lineman in the first round. Who do you want?

I would say most o-lineman in the draft are projections. Scherff started 3 games at LG (played sparingly in a few more) his freshman year but how much do you really get to see from that? Most of the NFL guard prospects are college LT's just like Turner. Especially in this zone scheme. Most of the candidates will be college tackles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 04:32AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 27, 2015 09:21AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 27, 2015 01:41PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jlyell, when you have a question mark at the
> people doing the picking, the last thing you want
> to do is drop down.
>
> As I said before, when you trade back, you give up
> a number of known quantities, and most of the
> time, you have to be psychic in predicting that
> all of them will be around when you pick
> again...or that the guy who you don't think that
> much of....like The Dolphins didn't think much of
> Drew Brees....is really not that good.
>
> I have not developed that much confidence in
> Hickey at this point.
>
> I say, grab the best available on each pick and
> stick with your picks UNLESS SOMEONE OFFERS TO LET
> YOU TRADE UP!!!!

You have a valid point, Chryen, but with Miami's situation, with the depth of players that are available in this year's draft, that third round is a key round. Naturally, the first two rounds are important, but in Miami's case, with no third rounder, a player that "could" start can't be taken. Then Miami comes in for the fourth round, and from there, it's hit-and-miss or hope for luck. I know you will say the whole draft is hit-and-miss, but the first three rounds are most important, especially if you have someone doing the drafting who knows what he is doing.

Trade up? Miami doesn't have the ammo. No third rounder hurts their chances.

Date: April 27, 2015 03:42PM

So, is what you are saying is that you hope to trade a 14 for a low first rounder plus a third rounder?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 27, 2015 04:23PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I wasn't advocating for Erving at 14 but since you
> brough it up, that eliminates just about every
> lineman in the first round. Who do you want?
>
> I would say most o-lineman in the draft are
> projections. Scherff started 3 games at LG (played
> sparingly in a few more) his freshman year but how
> much do you really get to see from that? Most of
> the NFL guard prospects are college LT's just like
> Turner. Especially in this zone scheme. Most of
> the candidates will be college tackles.

this isn't a good OL draft. I think Scherf has at least played guard before. I don't know if Collins has but he's at least supposed to have the skills for it. I could live with taking Collins with the idea he'd be a LG for a few years and then our LT when Albert retires/is cut. I t just seems to me that every time we take an OL with the idea of making him another position it never works out.

Date: April 28, 2015 02:37AM

That's because they have drafted like **** for the last 15 years. Not because a college tackle cannot transition to guard. ANY team that runs a zone blocking scheme is projecting a college tackle to play guard because they need athleticism.

Most of the successful, 325+ lb mauling college guards that get drafted, go to power schemes.

There are mixed reviews on Collins even being able to play LT. Some (Mayock) have him as their #1 tackle prospect. Left or right, they do not specify. Some say he is only a guard because he doesn't have the arm length or feet to play LT.

But you are ok with projecting Collins to play guard and not Erving? confused smiley

Isn't it more likely to project a guy who, with no experience at center, was able to come in and dominate at C with no prior experience AND play LT? That shows he is a smart athlete who was good at two of the hardest positions.

Most of the college guard prospects do not even fit in what this team typically looks for....the 6'4-6-5, 305-315 lb, athletic lineman with quick feet, versatile, who can also fill in at tackle, 5.1 40,

Many teams are able to find these guys in the middle rounds (2-4) and develop them. That's what we have to do.

I don't see this as a weak line draft and neither do most scouts from what I have read. There are just no elite LT prospects. Most are projected to go inside or on the right side OR need time to play on the left side.

Branden Albert was a college guard who moved to LT. Mike Pouncey was a college guard who moved to C. Billy Turner was a college LT who will move to RG. James is the only one who played RT in college and the same spot in the NFL.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: April 28, 2015 02:58AM

As many of you know, I don't like making hard predictions on the draft because I just don't feel I have enough info to be knowledgeable enough on their thinking. That being said, I find that I keep coming back to defense and a belief they will take BPA. I keep staring at Waynes and Shelton on my short list. Again, not a prediction but a strong feeling.

I know many Dolfans would like to see Gurley as the pick. I just can't see it for three reasons:
1) He won't be right for another year as his knee injury was very severe.
2) Dolphins already have a 1K back in Lamar Miller.
3) Dolphins are not a ground/pound system and Gurley needs a lot of touches to really be effective. That would all but minimize Miller, which makes no sense given their investment in him.

I also think the Jennings signing, coupled with the Stills signing, ends the argument for a WR with their top pick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 03:01AM by cshashaty.

Date: April 28, 2015 03:29AM

That is a fair point and similar to what I originally thought on all accounts.

The only reason I think the Dolphins may go with Gurley is....

1. They showed little faith in him last year and his ability to carry the ball more than 15 times a game. I'm not so sure they do not want to run it but maybe they just don't think Miller is the guy to carry that load. He has had shoulder issues. He also beefed up in the OS so maybe he knows something we don't.

2. Miller is a FA after 2015 and if he doesn't fit into Lazor's long term plan....Gurley would (or Gordan).

3. I think they are assuming the top 3 WR's will be gone. That's why they signed GJ.

4. BPA

Another option would be to trade down for a team who wants Gurley and then take Gordan. He is more durable and ready day one.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 28, 2015 04:41AM

I just don't see us taking a dB in the first who isn't guaranteed to be better than what we have.

I could see a "value" pick in the first if an elite dt, DE or lb falls to 14.

But we failed to make the playoffs the last two years because our offense imploded down the stretch. Taking any defensive player early doesn't fix that.

We've spent the vast majority of our cap space this offseason on defense.

I expect a very heavy offensive draft.

We have 6 picks. I expect that we'll be spending at least 5 of them on fixing the offense and possibly all 6.

Date: April 28, 2015 06:23AM

Date: April 28, 2015 08:53AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> So, is what you are saying is that you hope to
> trade a 14 for a low first rounder plus a third
> rounder?

Nope.

What I have been saying in quite a few of my posts, is Miami should trade down, but not further than 20, and either regain their 3rd rounder, or if our FO is really sharp, add a 2nd rounder.

The only way that I, if I was the team's GM, would not trade back, is if that can't miss, Pro bowler in the first season, ROY, superstar is there at 14.

A very good" player is not going to get Miami over the hump, this season. As I said, there are too many holes on this team to not get as many draft picks as possible, especially in the first three rounds.

If Miami was New England or the Packers, then they could stay at 14 (or even trade up), as all they would be drafting is BPA at any position. Miami is not in that position.

Date: April 28, 2015 08:59AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> JUST Our offense imploded?
>
> Week 12: Offense scored 36 points in Denver in a
> loss but could not stop the run.
>
> Week 13: Dolphins win
>
> Week 14: The Ravens rallied with consecutive
> touchdown drives of 97 and 75 yards, and added the
> clinching score after a favorable replay reversal.
> Defense gave up 28 points.
>
> Week 15: One point game at half time. Had the ball
> 7 minutes longer than Pats who scored 3 TD's and 2
> FG's in second half. Defense could not stop the
> run at the end.
>
> Week 16: Put 37 on Minnesota and gave up 35 to
> MINNESOTA!!, of all teams.....without AP.
>
> Week 17: Put 24 points on a top defense (Jets).
> Gave up 358 yards, 3 TD's and a perfect passer
> rating to GENO SMITH! Lamar Miller ran for 178
> yards.
>
> We need help on both sides of the ball. The story
> at the end of the season was about how our defense
> folded.

You beat me to it, Joe.

I didn't have the stats, but I knew our defense folded in the second half of the season.

Our D was one of the best in the first half of the season, then caved in the second; why, I don't know? Our offense wasn't a juggernaut, but they were doing enough to win the majority of those second half games.

Miami needs help on both sides of the ball.

Date: April 28, 2015 11:04AM

Well yes, Cap, I would consider a 20th pick the beginning of the low part of the first round. At the very least, it's the end of the middle of the round such as 14 is the beginning of the middle of the round or the end of the first part of the round.

In any event, if we could do that, I'd look more favorably on it than moving back to say, no. 28, but......

I still don't trust the pickers and I trust them only to take the best available at the time (and I don't MUCH faith THEM even being able to DO THAT).

But like I say, wheelin' and dealin' is for experts, not idiots. And I suspect our guys might be in that latter category.

Date: April 30, 2015 05:26AM

order of preference/draft list for Miami. Cross them off as they are picked and take the top available....

1 Leonard Williams
2 Amari Cooper
3 Davante Parker
4 Dante Fowler
5 Kevin White
6 Todd Gurley

If they are gone, trade down and choose from.....(these will all be gone)

7 Melvin Gordan
8 Brandon Scherff
9 Dan Shelton
10 DJ Humphries
11 Ereck Flowers
12 Malcom Brown
13 DGB
14 Breshad Perriman

If they are gone trade down again....

15 Nelson Agholor
16 Jalean Strong
17 TJ Clemmings
18 Marcus Peters
19 Cameron Irving
20 Byron Jones

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 05:29AM

Davante Parker

Dan Shelton

Jalean Strong

Players i would like from each list that we might have a chance to draft.

Date: April 30, 2015 05:59AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> order of preference/draft list for Miami. Cross
> them off as they are picked and take the top
> available....
>
> 1 Leonard Williams
> 2 Amari Cooper
> 3 Davante Parker
> 4 Dante Fowler
> 5 Kevin White
> 6 Todd Gurley
>
> If they are gone, trade down and choose
> from.....(these will all be gone)
>
>
> 7 Melvin Gordan
> 8 Brandon Scherff
> 9 Dan Shelton
> 10 DJ Humphries
> 11 Ereck Flowers
> 12 Malcom Brown
> 13 DGB
> 14 Breshad Perriman
>
> If they are gone trade down again....
>
> 15 Nelson Agholor
> 16 Jalean Strong
> 17 TJ Clemmings
> 18 Marcus Peters
> 19 Cameron Irving
> 20 Byron Jones

Bingo!

Agree complete with the strategy, although I would put DGB in the 3rd tier and swap out strong for dorsett.

Date: April 30, 2015 06:46AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> JUST Our offense imploded?
>

I didn't say "just our offense".

I said we didn't make the playoffs each of the last two years because our offense imploded down the stretch both seasons.

In 2013 we had to deal with bullygate and injuries that crippled our offense to the point that of averaging 200 yards and 3.5 points the last two weeks where one win against two non playoff teams put us in the playoffs.

In 2014 our offense disappeared after the Denver loss with the exception of tannehill's great game vs Minnesota.

If you take lamar miller's crazy 97 yard Td run versus the jets we scored 16, 13, 13, 37 & 17 points down the stretch. We ran the ball 107 times at 3.8 ypc and gave up 4 sacks a game and countless pressures/hits in big spots.

Our offense, in a league driven by offense, was...well...offensive.

We spent a huge amount of resources on upgrading the defense.

So far we've dumped 3 of our top 4 wr's, swapped out our best te for a similar player and signed one decent backup olineman.

Right now, our defense is better than last year and our offense is worse.

I don't think we have the picks, or that the draft has the talent where we need it to dramatically improve our defense more than we already have.

If it were me, I'd focus on upgrading the offense in this draft and finish the rebuild of the defense next offseason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 06:50AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 08:32AM

Imagine if we quickly trade down in the first round and devante parker falls to 14..

Randy moss all over again.

We better stay put at 14 and see what falls to us.

Date: April 30, 2015 09:12AM

Date: April 30, 2015 09:36AM

Naw, Ed is right. Our bigger problem is keeping the ball and scoring UNLESS (AND I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T PICK UP A SWORD AGAINST IT) a bigger problem IS SILLY CRUCIAL WRONG DECISIONS BY FAILBUM.

Date: April 30, 2015 12:42PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Imagine if we quickly trade down in the first
> round and devante parker falls to 14..
>
> Randy moss all over again.
>
>
> We better stay put at 14 and see what falls to us.

Parker isn't the same talent as Moss.

I say trade down. Parker will be a very good receiver in the NFL, but not a superstar like Cooper and White.

Grab a different position with that first pick and go after a receiver in the 2nd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.