HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          ronnie on trading block??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ronnie on trading block??
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:34PM

Hi everyone, just checked out profootballtalk.com and they have a listing stating that the phins are interested in trading Brown for possibly a mid round pick?? somebody let me know if i am crazy or not, but i simply wouldn't understand that move.I realize he is not a game breaker but seriously he is about our only offense, maybe ricky will do better than last year but this would rank with the eagles getting rid of dawkins. Did i miss something before about ronnie???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ronnie on trading block??
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:40PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:45PM

Mid-round pick? I'd think we could do MUCH better than that. At least, I hope so.

Date: April 19, 2009 04:48PM

Actually, PFT speculated that we would replace him with a mid round pick, not trade him for a mid round pick.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:50PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, PFT speculated that we would replace him
> with a mid round pick, not trade him for a mid
> round pick.

Ahh, that's different. Except for Curtis Martin, I don't recall BP ever fielding any really good RBs.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 06:50PM

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 19, 2009 07:16PM

BP doesn't try to find the 'star RB', he believes in using 2-3 backs throughout the season. It makes sense.

1) RB's have had short careers because of the constant pounding. When you DO find a great back, rotating him out will extend his career, providing longer stability.

2) If you have a great OL, you can get great production out of a 'good' back. Look how many time we saw a GREAT Ricky Williams run into a pile of bodies in the Wanny years.

3) By having a group of backs, none of them hit those 'marquee' numbers and therefore don't get those 'marquee' contracts.

I think Ronnie is awesome, but I don't think he is HOF material, nor do I think he is irreplacable.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 19, 2009 07:20PM

Cobbs was impressive last year. And Ronnie is brittle.

For the right price I would trade Ronnie. I wouldn't give him away but for a 2nd round pick......see ya Ronnie!!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 20, 2009 02:58AM

Ok, Im not at all trying to bring this crazy scenario back up...I promise. What about a deal involving Ronnie for Anquan (the Cards need a RB, we need a WR)?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 20, 2009 04:35AM

Ricky for Boldin but not Ronnie.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 20, 2009 05:32AM

I don't see this rumor at all.

Ronnie Brown was a huge part of turning this team around. It wasn't just the wildcat...Or his locker room presence... But he was willing to play whatever role asked of him even though that meant less carries.

Alot of fans were crying last year at this time that Ronnie would need about 2 years to get near to previous form. Before his injury, he was leading the league in yards per carry and was heading for a clear pro-bowl bid. His hard work in the off-season shut the mouths of the whiney pessimists that thought Ronnie would not be able to return to form.

Beefing up the interior of the offensive line should help all our RB's be more effective. Getting Ronnie more short passes in the flat should be apart of future strategy.

We have no incentive to trade Ronnie. We have the cap room. Parcells loves big power runners that keep their mouth shut. We can build on the wildcat foundation and expand the plays in this 2nd year system.

Parcells is certainly NOT going to trade a probowl RB for a WR. This offense will always be tilted more towards the RB than the WR position.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 20, 2009 06:03AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 20, 2009 06:06AM

Bolding makes about 4 mil/yr and he wants closer to what Fitz got which is 10 mil/yr, 15 mil bonus and 30 mil guaranteed.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 20, 2009 06:47AM

What will Ronnie ask for when his contact is up next season?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 20, 2009 08:52AM

I would do Ronnie for Boldin straight up. Then have to pay Boldin......I got no problem with that. He solves our WR problem and turns WR from a weakness to a strength overnight.

Then go draft a RB with one of our picks in Rd 3 or 4 to play with Ricky and Cobbs

Date: April 20, 2009 10:54AM

how about no, hell no crazy no, we need a number one rb and ricky will be 32, cobbs nice but he will never be a true number 1 like peterson, so again? what ? that would be stupid. will never happen.what rb would you draft? that would be able to do what he does right off the bat? NONE not with the 25th, and we are taking a LB as our 25th so you would be asking for a 2nd round pick on another rb? nope not with the quality of recivers and lb's this year be stupid and crazy got cap to think about.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 20, 2009 12:11PM

The reppa LOVES ronnie brown, i repped him even back when cats wanted to deal him in the 06 preseason for larry johnson back when he was all hype and wanted out... That being said after he got injured I think that his mentality changed. I used to yell at the tv when this guy would just need ONE YARD and he would dance around like he was JT dancing with the stars and get tackled and now it is 4th and inches... JUST LOWER YOUR DAMN SHOULDER AND GET THE FIRST!!! maybe it was his injury but I can count several times when he could have gotten the first and killed our drive by showing me how well he can shake it up, i think he even costed us a game cause of a late drive which we could not convert on because he did not get the first on third down.

That being said I would not mind dealing him, here are the reasons

1) he will turn 28 for the 2009 season
2) we used a 1st to get him and if we got 4-5 years out of him and get back a first (I dont care where) I would be happy
3) his dancing made me pull my hair out!!!
4) Parmele showed great promise in moving the pile and with him a ricky I think that we will be fine.
5) Anyone can run the wild cat, look at the success ronnie had from jump, infact I thought that his dancing and indecisiveness cost him/us more big runs

Date: April 20, 2009 12:36PM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 20, 2009 12:41PM

Dumb to even think about. Ronnie is not the problem, we just began to get the line going last year, add a receiver for play action and we'll see a dynmaic ronnie brown.

he's a great back and good in spite of that which has been around him.

he also catches well.

Date: April 20, 2009 12:45PM

I would not be surprised if Parcells/Ireland/Sparano do indeed want to trade Brown. He had 3 big games last year. But he had 9 games of 50 yards or less, including 3 games of less than 30 yards. I'm not saying that is all his fault. The fact is that our run blocking was poor for much of the season. That is an area that needs to improve, along with LB, CB, NT and WR. If trading Ronnie could help us in those areas, I would not at all be surprised to see a deal made.

Ronnie is a very good player when healthy; but he is not a workhorse RB. If he could be traded for a 1st rounder (perhaps even an early 2nd rounder), I think the Phins would jump on it. Keep in mind that the careers of NFL RBs are not long. Think about Alexander, Edge, Marshall and others. 30 is old for NFL RBs. So Ronnie is 3 years away from being old for his position.

Date: April 20, 2009 01:19PM

if the deal is right these guys will trade anybody!!!! Ronnie is no exception!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 20, 2009 07:18PM

I heard a rumor Boldin had hip issues. I good way to bring his value down

Date: April 21, 2009 11:47PM

Where there is smoke there is fire.

I think ronnie will be gone Friday or Saturday

Date: April 22, 2009 03:00AM

I don't see the problem being at rb, nor a rep;lacement in the draft that adds enough value to make the trade.

I expect we'll try to unload beck, and pick up some vets, but I think we have enough draft picks to vastly improve the team without dropping R brown

I think that the fo likes out existing wrs more than this formum thinks, thus unless a good deal is there for draft or FA they'll go elsewhere first.

Date: April 22, 2009 06:53AM

Date: April 22, 2009 08:30AM

mike that would be horrible, and why? ok say you did the trade who you replace him with? that would screw up the ENTIRE draft and set the team back another two years, we are not trading period, there isnt THAT much impeaded need for rb's this year, like what 4 5 teams need one? now next year i could see somthing happen, but we wont trade him untill he is either next year for a SWEET DEAL or returns we resign him for a 3 year deal.

Date: April 22, 2009 12:38PM

I have to admit< I wasn't aware until a recent check that Ronnie is only signed thru 2009. That puts a different light on whether he might be a candidate for a trade, as next year he'll be a FA, and have no trade value or incentive.

I still think he's a good talent, but could see BP and staff considering options.

Date: April 22, 2009 04:06PM

EXACTLY. You can't trade him next year cause he can walk.

Get something for him now and move on.

Look the wildcat was a nice little gimmick......but it ran its course. We don't need a soft RB who is average at best demanding a big contract. Get ANYTHING for him now and move on. Cobbs/Ricky will be fine for a year. Draft a RB now or next year, we will be fine

Date: April 23, 2009 03:59AM

I hadn't even though about the fact that Brown will be a FA after the 2009 season. That being the case, it seems to increase the likelihood that management would want to trade him.

Date: April 23, 2009 04:03AM

i would let him go only for boldin, or edwards, and at least a third round pick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.