Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Draft will boil down to big picture strategy.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Draft will boil down to big picture strategy.
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: April 19, 2009 08:31AM

I think the first thing the trifecta want to address is the defense.
Parcells believes in destroying the run, creating long passing downs, and then destroying the QB with dominant pass rushers.
From that standpoint, I see us going front seven with our first pick. Even if it means trading up to get a specific player.
I would be blown away if we took any offense with our top 2 picks.
I'm thinking ILB, OLB, or DT/NT.
I doubt a star WR is in the plans for THIS year.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Draft will boil down to big picture strategy.
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 08:56AM

Date: April 19, 2009 09:09AM

oh so you mean that ive been saying laurinitious, then nicks then sean smith, which will be our picks depending on teams, on how trades work but i sure that they will all be there at thoughs times, which would be the best talent available which is why we will be taking lauinitous as the 35th overall, he is awsome at ILB which we need, hakeem nicks a solid wr, which will be there at 44th, which is why we will take him, and with 3 corners taken in the first and before our 3rd overall pick will leave us with sean smith to finish adressing our CB issue. now if we trade for boldin, then of corse throw all that out the window, but im about 90 percent certain thoughs will be our newest recruits.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 19, 2009 12:13PM

how can you be 90% certain of anything. All three of those players will most likely get drafted within 5 spots of each other toward the end of the 1st round. Sean Smith is not going to drop that low into the 2nd. He's got a good chance of being taken within the last few picks of the 1st round. The same goes for Nicks. In fact, Laurinitis may be the only one of that group that has the potential to fall and you have us burning our first pick on him. Your draft scenario is highly unlikely.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 19, 2009 01:07PM

I tend to agree that's a real probability. As much as I want Nicks in the first round, and believe me I will hollar for him when it's our time, I think Parcells is too big of an influence on Ireland to pull the trigger. And as far as corner, we could get a corner but as Kiper said, there aren't any slam dunk corners that will fall to 25 so we might as well pick them up later. And so yes, I think we'll end up with a linebacker, first pick. Which is what we all figured initially.

Date: April 19, 2009 01:28PM

Date: April 19, 2009 03:13PM

lmao now thats classic funny.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 19, 2009 03:24PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it will be defense at #25.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to see an offensive player
> at #44 if the value is right.
>
> There are a couple of WR's we would consider at
> #25 (Britt & Nicks) and an O-lineman like Duke
> Robinson has to be given consideration there as
> well. If any one of them is still there at 44 we
> would be very fortunate.
>
> Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we grabed a
> WR or O-lineman there, although I'm hoping we get
> a CB and OLB with out first two picks.

I figure it like this...

Jenkins will probably be gone and he may not be fast enough to play CB in the NFL anyway. We don't really need a FS.

That leaves Vontae Davis, Sean Smith and Darius Butler.

I do not like Davis at all. He looked awkward turning and running at the combine...no matter waht his straight line speed is. Mayock also said he was tight in the hips. There are big questions about maturity, authority issues, dope and work ethic. Not exactly a BP guy.

I do like Butler and Smith but do you take a CB that got burned for 200 yards or the WR that burned him (Britt)...or a WR that may be better (Nicks)? Britt has had a case of the drops and Nicks is known for having good hands and being NFL ready. They are both about the same speed.

So that takes me down to Sean Smith. If they think he can be an effective corner then that would be great. Hard telling how they have him rated but they did work him out and seemed interested.

So to me that narrows the #25 pick to Sean Smith, Nicks, Britt or an OLB like English, Barwin, Mathews, Maybin, Johnson and maybe Brown...depending on how they fall.

OLB is harder to find and more valuable than ILB unless there is a true blue chipper like Curry or Mayo so I think OLB is a stronger possibility @ 25 than ILB.

So who is the highest rated player between all the guys I just mentioned? That is the decision they have to make if they don't already know. I think it's Nicks...today anyway. I reserve the right to change that tomorrow.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 19, 2009 04:14PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:49PM

eesti Wrote:
> OLB is harder to find and more valuable than ILB
> unless there is a true blue chipper like Curry or
> Mayo so I think OLB is a stronger possibility @ 25
> than ILB.
>
Then why are there so many more capable OLBs on our roster than ILBs? When Crowder went down last year, it was obvious we had no depth at all at ILB. Torbor was terrible, and Ayodele can't play Crowder's position and call plays on D. As for OLB, we still have Porter, Roth, Anderson, Wake, Moses, and JT has shown interest in returning to Miami.

Date: April 19, 2009 05:06PM

Date: April 19, 2009 05:11PM

jenkins and davis taken in first and top second, leaving smith to us at our 57th, with a few trades and signing in FA would leave nicks at our 44th, which is PERFECT, and MAULAGUA wont be there at 25th, neither will clay, which leaves us to laurinitous.??

Date: April 19, 2009 06:47PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 07:10PM

I am rabid like those freaky dark seekers from I AM LEGEND right now, waiting for the draft.
Aditionally this weekend will be the TRYOUTS and DRAFT for the MABL Semi-Pro League here in Daytona Beach. I'm a manger so I might be picking up a few players myself. Since my team is pretty well stacked I go BPA of course, maybe I'll trade up. The poor bastards that manage the other teams never see what hits them, maybe they will this year-because the last few years I've been taking them to school.

Date: April 19, 2009 07:23PM

Love Nicks skill set. His wonderlic score tells me I have to be concerned with how quickly he will learn the pro game. Which means it's questionable how qucikly he'll have an impact.

What do you think about Marino's test score? It didn't stop him from contributing early. Some people just don't do well on paper.

McNabb 14
Marino 15
Bradshaw 15
McNair 15

and these are QB's who should be higher than everyone's.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 48
Drew Henson 42
Alex Smith 40

I think Randy Moss scored a 9. Marvin Harrison got a 12 on his and Reggie Wayne got a 13.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 07:25PM by eesti.

Date: April 19, 2009 07:41PM

Date: April 20, 2009 12:52AM

Date: April 20, 2009 02:47AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:03AM

The issue with taking a corner in the first round this year is that there may not be a legit first rounder among any of them after Jenkins. It is a horrible year for corners. Every single guy has a question about speed, size, or attitude. Guys like Kiper, Mayock, and Kirwan are all saying that the corners will be available in round 2 because there isn't a real difference between most of the top prospects and none of them carry a true first round grade except for Jenkins.

If Jenkins falls to us, I could see us taking him. Until people started timing his 40, he was considered an elite prospect. But, he's been unable to crack 4.55 in any 40. Other than this question mark, he's considered a great player. He's still the best corner in the draft, and after him, no one else looks like a first round pick.

Vontae Davis has the size and speed. But, he didn't dominate in college. He talks down to coaches. He doesn't like to practice and he won't play hurt. Pro Football Weekly says he is a prima donna and that any team drafting him in round one is ignoring major red flags in the areas of desire, discipline, and coachability.

Darius Butler is very athletic and very fast. But, he had zero INT as a senior and is considered very weak (he couldn't even do 10 reps of 225). His lack of strength could be a factor against bigger receivers as he was torched badly by Kenny Britt. PFW says he shies away from contact and "hits like a marshmellow." They also say that he does not show good ball instincts with his back to the QB, and that he gets burned more often than he makes plays on the ball. Does this sound like the kind of guy Parcells would spend the #25 pick on?

Alphonso Smith has good instincts and is a ballhawk. But, he's just 5'9 and lacks recovery speed. He ran a 4.56 at the combine, and he chose to stand on that number on his pro day.

Sean Smith was being touted as a fast rising CB prospect because of his great size and that he ran a 4.47 at his pro day. But, his stock never took off as a corner. He primarily played S at Utah. And he ran a 4.53 at the combine. Scouts say he does not play as fast as he times, and they question whether he has the deep speed to stay with a really fast WR. PFW says he that he is not quick enough in his change of direction to be a cover corner. And Mayock cautions that the bust rate for tall corners is very high.

No other corner prospect is considered a potential first round pick. But, after Jenkins, do any of these guys really sound worth the #25 pick?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 20, 2009 04:01AM

Great post. I think you are right on.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 20, 2009 05:08PM

As much as I respect Bo and Jimmy, they were on the radio tonight touting about how we have to have a shutdown corner to cover Moss and company. That's really not the way to look at it imo. The way to stop Brady, or even a guy like Flacco for that matter, is to rush him and confuse him, and cause fumbles. The way to stop high flying teams is NOT to go chasing after their wide receivers.

I'm not saying we don't need to make an effort to get capable corners, but I'm saying that it's a mistake to pass on an impact linebacker (inside or outside) or a great WR just because you have holes on the roster. Best strategy is still BPA in early rounds.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 20, 2009 05:17PM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> As much as I respect Bo and Jimmy, they were on
> the radio tonight touting about how we have to
> have a shutdown corner to cover Moss and company.
> That's really not the way to look at it imo. The
> way to stop Brady, or even a guy like Flacco for
> that matter, is to rush him and confuse him, and
> cause fumbles. The way to stop high flying teams
> is NOT to go chasing after their wide receivers.
>
>
> I'm not saying we don't need to make an effort to
> get capable corners, but I'm saying that it's a
> mistake to pass on an impact linebacker (inside or
> outside) or a great WR just because you have holes
> on the roster. Best strategy is still BPA in
> early rounds.

I agree, but we have to stop the run so our safeties can stay back and help in coverage. This is why we need help at ILB.

Date: April 20, 2009 05:21PM

Date: April 20, 2009 07:21PM

LB at 25 nicks at 44th and smith at 57 or whenever our thirdoveral pick is. come on guys your arguing over the same point granted the lb issue is up for grabs could be between 3 to 4 players. where at wr your stuck with three nicks britt and robiskie which i think britt and robeskie will be gone, leaving nicks to slide to us.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 22, 2009 11:54AM

I'll be surprised if we dont take a wr because of all the passes on FAs that have gone by ... If not it means BP is feeling better about what we have and maybe what is available in the 2nd round.

In my gut I feel like we end up with a big acquisition via trade on draft day or shortly afterward.

If we do noting more than keep our own picks we'll be a lot better, but the whole division is going to be a lot better this year.

Date: April 22, 2009 02:40PM

yeah but we got the chemistry down for this year comming wr qb wise, now the line will still be gellin, but come on we should be getting 5 plus yards per attemp. which means the bill is starting to get his offense to what it needs, which is why i KNOW we will be going defense first pick, we need a solid pss rush, and a run stop defense. theres enough talent in the second round for a true wr. and again enough talent to pick a solid cb in smith. so lb has too be lb ILB we picked up wake for OLB, we will be drafting for ILB, i dont know why everyone is saying OLB? unless we get a steal. roth still good enough and should this year be better, and i love wake im sure he wont flop. give me a solid ILB PLEASE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.