HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Missing Pieces
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Missing Pieces
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 28, 2015 05:29AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing Pieces
Date: January 28, 2015 05:42AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 28, 2015 05:51AM

Totally agree with your rankings Joe.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: January 28, 2015 06:36AM

Elite:

D: Jones, Delmas
O: Clay

Good:

D: Grimes, Misi, Starks, Wake
O: Albert, Tannehill, Wallace, Miller, Shelley Smith

Average:

D: Mitchell, Vernon, Jenkins, Jordan
O: Landry, Sims, Hartline, Pouncey, Satele, James

Below average:

All others

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 06:45AM

grimes and wake are elite.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 07:16AM

Dallas Thomas appeared to be developing at guard beside James earlier in the season. He stinks at tackle I wish we could leave this guy at guard.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 28, 2015 07:18AM

Another reason why I take PFF with a grain of salt...

Date: January 28, 2015 07:59AM

Dallas Thomas is definitely a better guard than tackle but then it's harder to be a tackle in the NFL and why they get paid more money.

He played 186 snaps at RG and 176 at LG.

RG (wks 2-4): allowed 4 hurries, no hits, no sacks.
LG (wks 8-10): allowed 8 hurries, 2 hits, no sacks.
RT (wks 11-15): allowed 14 hurries, 5 hits & 7 sacks.

He did enough at RG (easiest position on the line) to get by but never distinguished himself in any area or excelled in any area. I don't believe he showed enough to be counted on for anything more than a backup at this point. He definitely needs more developing. We can afford to invest in him at his bargain salary. I think the coaches made bad choices in putting him at RT but I would hate to see another Evan Mathis, Wade Smith scenario.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 28, 2015 08:04AM

I'd like to see us sign one established guard in FA then let Thomas and Turner battle it out for the other spot, that way we don't have to draft O-line early again, we can if a steal is there but we wouldn't need to reach for one.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 08:34AM

I'm with chris.

james and pouncy played out of position most of the year. when tannehill was struggling early on pff had him as the 4th best qb. he got better as the year wore on and he's average now?

sorry, not buying what they're selling.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 09:09AM

Its easy to say rg is the easiest position but the guy playing it is busting his *** just as much as the other 4 starters. They have moved Thomas around like a chess piece since his rookie year. Let the guy stick to one position and develop.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:30AM

If your making an overall assessment based on cumulative ratings, that's the first mistake. I have never seen anything on the PFF site that said Tannehill was the 4th best QB in the league. That's the inaccurate assessment of a writer, using PFF numbers. Sort of like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Your using the tool wrong.

The data they provide is excellent, IMO.

It goes ways beyond the traditional stats we are all used to. Lots of good info there if you know how to interpret it and there's NOWHERE else that makes that info public (for a small fee).

Like I said, its a tool in the arsenal. If you don't know much about x's and o's and all the variables involved in the game, it is of little use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 09:31AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: January 28, 2015 10:02AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with chris.
>
> james and pouncy played out of position most of
> the year. when tannehill was struggling early on
> pff had him as the 4th best qb. he got better as
> the year wore on and he's average now?
>
> sorry, not buying what they're selling.

First of all...Thanks! I'm glad sonmeone said it. And i/m/o, the cause is not having JUST A FEW important pieces.

POUNCY is a VERY solid C, and should play THAT POSITION. SATELE, i/m/o, played solid if unspectacular C. He is...or should be...the back-up C. I/m/o, it'd be a mistake to get rid of him.

I/m/o, we have very solid Ts, from top to bottom. If the Gs aren't cutting it, EVERYONE ELSE (C, Ts and even blocking Back) will look worse than they really are. I have posted on a number of sites (D-R if this site was one of them) that i/m/o, ALL MIAMI NEEDs for our Offense to be truly "elite" is (1) a pair of Gs who resemble THURSTON and KRAMER from VINCE LOMBARDI's PACKERS; and (2) a very BIG receiver, either TE or WR. Get both "1" and "2", and i/m/o, w/little else, MIAMI doesn't just MAKE the Playoffs, it goes DEEP IN SAME!!! From the EXTREME development that I saw in TANNEHILL last season, all that MIAMI has to do to contend is keep TANNEHILL standing up.

As to our Defense, and specifically the front 4, MIAMI got run on badly in the final c. 1/3 or 1/4 of the season...and sometimes by mediocre HBs!!! As far as I'm concerned, MIAMI missed Big PAUL more than they probably thought they would. Well, anyone can miscalculate! But "stupidity" truly is making the same mistake twice. SO, "JOB ONE" for MIAMI, i/m/o, is to find another SOLIAI type. In fact, if there was such a player in F/A, I'd make aquiring him "JOB ONE". And if more than one, I'd give serious thought to trying hard to land BOTH. But if only one is possible in F/A, I'd instruct my Scouts to find a couple of such prospects in College, and I'd draft them--maybe as early as Round 2, but certainly by Round 3.

Lastly, I'd draft a topshelf HB. There's one in particular! You all know who I mean! I'd even consider using my 1st Round Pick AND moving up to get him...but if not at 14, certainly with our pick in Round 2.

I feel that MIAMI MIGHT be able to do all of the above. But if MIAMI had to pass on doing one of the above, it'd be the HB. Why? Because apparently D THOMAS has "arrived". Maybe all he needed was to be woke up! Getting cut then re-signed was a very good "wake-up" call: he actually looked better, to me, than he ever has in since he got here! Here's hoping....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:14AM by LUDUPORCU.

Date: January 29, 2015 03:47AM

I think if we make two key signings, it will open us up to take some skill positions in the draft or BPA

Orlando Franklin: LG/RT
Dan Williams: NT

That leaves just RG to be fought over by Turner, roster guys and a mid round rookie.

Dan Williams shores up run defense. Makes Starks and Mitchell better instantly and plays to their strengths by putting them back in roles they are more suited to...

LT Albert
LG Franklin
C Pouncey
RG Turner
RT James

That's a good line capable of making us a good running team. The stubborn coaches can continue their short passing attack and just run the damn ball more.

It gives us the opportunity to grab Melvin Gordan or a big WR in the draft like Strong or DGB.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 03:52AM by JoeFootball.

Date: January 29, 2015 04:36AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I think if we make two key signings, it will open
> us up to take some skill positions in the draft or
> BPA
>
> Orlando Franklin: LG/RT
> Dan Williams: NT
>
> That leaves just RG to be fought over by Turner,
> roster guys and a mid round rookie.
>
> Dan Williams shores up run defense. Makes Starks
> and Mitchell better instantly and plays to their
> strengths by putting them back in roles they are
> more suited to...
>
> LT Albert
> LG Franklin
> C Pouncey
> RG Turner
> RT James
>
> That's a good line capable of making us a good
> running team. The stubborn coaches can continue
> their short passing attack and just run the damn
> ball more.
>
> It gives us the opportunity to grab Melvin Gordan
> or a big WR in the draft like Strong or DGB.

I'm with you Joe. That's been my plan of attack for months now.

Find starters at major need positions in free agency. Then draft impact players.

Date: January 29, 2015 04:59AM

It could also be that the coaches are not confident enough in Lamar Miller's ability to carry the ball 300+ times per season and they never really had a good #2 runner. I hope that's the case anyway.

The way I see it, we left money on the table. We were 22nd in rushing attempts but 2nd in the ENTIRE LEAGUE in yards per attempt. That does not compute. Surely Lamar could have handled 50-60 more attempts. He only had 216.

While he is quick enough and fast enough, he lacks elusiveness and is limited in receiving ability.

Melvin Gordan could be a nice compliment. He reminds me of DeMarco Murray. Gurley is rated higher by many but he may not be ready at the start of the season and it's important for a rookie to get reps in preseason.

If we could sign those FA's and draft Gordan at 14 and another 2nd round WR that fits the skill set (faster, bigger), our offense jumps from 11th in points/14th in yards to a top 8 offense.

Date: January 29, 2015 05:29AM

As much as I love Gordon as a prospect, Gurley was my favorite RB in this, or any, draft since AP came into the league.

I'd be thrilled to have either of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 08:01AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 30, 2015 07:48AM

"Its easy to say rg is the easiest position but the guy playing it is busting his *** just as much as the other 4 starters. They have moved Thomas around like a chess piece since his rookie year. Let the guy stick to one position and develop." agreed

I'm good with Miller and Williams as the RB's.

I would like the Bengals guard, Bolling???

Date: January 30, 2015 08:11AM

dolphin Wrote:
> "Its easy to say rg is the easiest position but
> the guy playing it is busting his *** just as much
> as the other 4 starters. They have moved Thomas
> around like a chess piece since his rookie year.
> Let the guy stick to one position and develop."
> agreed
>
> I'm good with Miller and Williams as the RB's.
>
> I would like the Bengals guard, Bolling???

I like him (Clint Boling) as a 2nd tier option for less money. Looks like a good LG and fits the size/athleticism requirements of Philbin's zone blocking scheme

I would rather sign a guy who can play T and G though since we may need a T to start the season and we fell apart last year without a quality backup T.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.