HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          How about that Rob Konrad!?!?!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
How about that Rob Konrad!?!?!
Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:34PM

He was a tough FB when he played for us; I really enjoyed watching him and was sad that his career was cut short by injuries. He was more of a Receiving fullback. And being a fullback in the modern nil...WAY under-utilized.

Well apparently he's kept himself in shape because he swam NINE MILES to shore after falling out of his fishing boat...holy crap.

It's such an incredible story that some think it's....incredible, as in un-believable. He was apparently fishing alone, fell overboard, and his boat was on auto pilot so it took off without him.

One of the more interesting parts I noticed about the story is that he's still 'only' 38 years old. After leaving the Phins (and the NFL) ten years ago. Just think if he didn't get injured he technically could be still playing for us! (well not really).

I'm sure glad he was in good enough physical shape to make that LONG, lonely swim.

Best of health to ya Rob!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How about that Rob Konrad!?!?!
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 01:32PM

As a guy who spends a lot of time out there in the same ocean, the story sounds a bit unbelievable.. It was blowing 25 out of the NE that day, really rough and cold by Florida standards... So swimming in 8 foot seas that far is crazy... Also I would think he would have wound up further north then WPB with the Gulf Stream and having to travel that far west.. Granted the swell and wind would help push him in but still remarkable if the facts are as stated.. Also no one mentioned if they found the boat?... And what the hell he was doing that far offshore in those conditions fishing by himself... I am bit baffled by the story... It is possible but 1 and a million at best odds to pull that off..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 10, 2015 02:15PM

but if it WAS true.....

Date: January 10, 2015 02:28PM

It could be true, the human spirit and will to survive is unbelievable at times... I am just baffled by it, once they find the boat, the GPS, electronics, etc should verify the facts... That is why I am curious to hear what happen to the boat...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 10, 2015 02:30PM

Right, when you know it's life or death, the adrenaline kicks in and that can be a powerful stimulant.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 10, 2015 05:44PM

I read they found the boat by the Bahamas.....but I agree Crowder, this story seems fishy to me.....pun intended

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 11, 2015 09:00AM

Crowder,

When I started this thread I definitely had you in mind. I thought the same thing as you, but not from the viewpoint of someone such as yourself, whose line of work makes your opinion on this valuable.

It didn't pass the smell test with me either. Don't all boats have some sort of GPS these days as well? Going fishing in open seas alone in the first place doesn't sound like a good idea either.

Walking up to a police officer at 4 in the morning in one's underwear can be the result of many different things too, but I give the report some initial credibility as it came from the coast guard.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 05:13AM

I'm predicting that when all the dust settles it was a ploy to collect on the boat's insurance.

Date: January 12, 2015 08:27AM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Crowder,
>
> When I started this thread I definitely had you in
> mind.

The story is very weird, if true then Konrad is a pretty dumb (edge of being a moron) and reckless guy...

First off when it is blowing 25 knots out of the NE and cold, few people choose to go fishing.. If you are in a tournament and have to go, it is one thing but to choose, very rare.. Now add that on top of going by ones self in those conditions for fun, defies logic..

Next, if you are going fishing, you would go sailfishing this time of year with the cold front pushing in. That means you mainly drift within one mile of shore.. Sailfish like a NE wind and cold fronts, it pushes all that bait up on the reefs near shore, which the sailfish feed on.

To go 9 miles offshore fishing, trolling, that means you are dolphin fishing. When you Dolphin fish, you are looking for birds, debris, weeds, and currents lines to fish way offshore. That is where you would find dolphin. Trying to do that in 8 foot seas doesn't make any sense.. The visibility is horrible, the waves break up the weeds, scatter debris, birds don't feed only travel and you can't really see current eddy's in those conditions.. So what the hell are you doing?

Next, it was reported that he had his autopilot on and so the boat drove away when he fell over.. Nobody fishes on auto pilot, you travel on auto pilot you don't fish on autopilot. Because if you go to slow and the waves are pushing your bow around, the autpilot would just be constantly over correcting itself, rendering it utterly useless. It was also reported that he had the autopilot set at 5mph, that is really, really slow making the matters even worse not to mention, you typically troll for Dolphin at 8 knots or over 9mph, close to double the speed he was reported to have set his auto pilot at...

Finally when you are traveling at night or by yourself on a boat, you don't take any chances, the mere idea of doing it in these conditions is a huge chance and risk.. But even so, you don't get near the edge of the boat. You always have one hand on a rail, and if you have to pee, you do so in the boat and then rinse it off with a hose, or into a bucket far away from the gunnels of the boat...

Forget about the 9 mile swim in very cold very rough water with 10 of the hours being in darkness.. The story is just odd and doesn't make a lot of sense on many levels.. I imagine a guy of great conditioning with his life on the line could do the swim.. But it would be extremely tough in such rough seas.. Long distance swimmers don't even come close to attempt to swim in conditions 1/5 as bad as what it was that night.. Let alone without a wetsuit or something to help retain heat in the body..
Who knows but at the end of the day all I can say is bizarre.... And if all the facts are as reported, he would get the "if your going to be dumb you got to be tough" award...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 08:28AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 08:32AM

Why would he risk his life to collect insurance on the boat? Konrad should have quite a few bucks on the bank.

Date: January 12, 2015 08:42AM

Yeah Crowder, this story sounds fishy to me also.....................{{{{{{pun intended}}}}}}}

Date: January 12, 2015 08:47AM

Date: January 12, 2015 08:51AM

Thanks crowder..

here is some more gossip from twitter.

AQUA YOU CRASY...

Rob Proffitt ?@BreakinDownFilm 33m33 minutes ago
That Rob Konrad story sounds like a crazy movie. Wow. Konrad claims he was stung by many jellyfish & even circled by a shark.

LOL.

Date: January 12, 2015 08:53AM

That shark was going to have a great steak dinner...

Konrad i think was 6'4.....250 or so when he played.

He should be around 280 pounds by now.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 09:13AM

I have a close friend that lives in Jupiter. His father borrowed my friend's boat for some solo fishing a few years ago. Boat and the father were never heard from or seen again. Unfortunately It's a rather common occurance in the South Florida area. There's nothing Bermuda trianglish about it. Lots of people don't maintain their boats very well, the weather can be very freakish, especially in the Gulf Stream and, way too many people just don't have the common sense necessary to take a small boat offshore.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 12, 2015 09:45AM

Jeff Darlington ?@JeffDarlington 2h2 hours ago
Rob Konrad was later diagnosed with hypothermia, severe dehydration and rhabdomyolysis, which is a breakdown of muscle fibers.

It might be kinda hard to fake this though

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 12, 2015 09:47AM

Look at the former players in the Gulf a few years ago that died....

Corey Smith (DET) and Marquis Cooper (Tcool smiley. 4 left but only 1 came back.

It happens all the time.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 12, 2015 11:12AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Jeff Darlington ?@JeffDarlington 2h2 hours ago
> Rob Konrad was later diagnosed with hypothermia,
> severe dehydration and rhabdomyolysis, which is a
> breakdown of muscle fibers.
>
> It might be kinda hard to fake this though

Yes who knows, he might have just been a dumb ass... Really inexperienced and no idea what he is doing... That being said I have lost friends to the ocean.. Even experienced guys, but they were forced into situations beyond their control.. What boggles my mind is that Konrad put himself into this situation of his own choosing... That is really what baffles me, it defies logic on many levels...

Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 12, 2015 11:17AM

He's part Dolphin. Case closed.

BNF.

Date: January 12, 2015 01:21PM

After seeing the press conference, it seems it was a calamity of errors that lead to what happened.. Even though it wasn't brought up, my guess is the autopilot played a role in him being ejected from the boat... You don't run autopilot in rough seas at that slow speed, the boat makes big turns when it tries to over compensate for the bow moving around from the seas.. Which probably played a part in him being ejected... He also said he was delivering the boat for maintenance to Riveira Beach which was why he was in the boat and just decided to fish north instead of run.. He ran to the gulf stream (9 miles)because that is your best bet to catch fish on the troll. So it wasn't really a fishing trip per say... Brave and tough guy, who made some bad decisions... Glad for his kids he lived to tell the story.. Seems like those kids were what really motivated him to make it to shore... I think any father could understand the power of that type of motivation..

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 13, 2015 04:35AM

Do you still think he was dumb and reckless?

I think it was pretty dumb not to wear a life vest! Not like he is fishing a small lake where he can swim to shore.

Date: January 13, 2015 04:50AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Do you still think he was dumb and reckless?
>
> I think it was pretty dumb not to wear a life
> vest! Not like he is fishing a small lake where he
> can swim to shore.

Yes, he never should have tried a trip like that in those conditions by himself. He never should have added fishing when he was by himself only adding to the danger, let alone 9 miles off shore in the gulfstream where it is much rougher... He never should have had the boat on autopilot at slow speed in rough seas... And yes if he was by himself in those conditions, not wearing a life jacket was foolish... He acted dumb, reckless and naive/inexperienced..

Nietzsche

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 13, 2015 08:22AM

I too thought the story was fishy, maybe trying to attract some business but he really has a reason to be thankful. A 9 mile swim is some accomplishment. Its good to wear a vest and have some company that far out.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: February 26, 2015 02:41AM

So much for the conspiracy theories...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 04:06AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 05:06AM

My apologies, Rob.

I thought you made it all up. Society has made me more skeptical than I'd like to be.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:50AM

Okay, what happened to make you guys change your mind?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.