HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Purge
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Purge
Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: June 02, 2015 05:56PM

Not happy with losing Clay, he is a special player, a beast. Jordan Cameron is a downgrade imo. I dont see what everyone else sees in him. I hope he surprises me. That's the only bad loss this offseason.

I wasnt a fan of Parker predraft, struck me as clunky and heavy footed in spite of knack for routes and soft spots in D. Maybe he was still getting to 100% from injury. OTA reports on him are exciting. If he lives up to camp notes, those two losses at the end of the year will be well worth the 14th spot in the draft. We weren't about to win the SB anyway.

Overall, the offseason was a success imo, long term at least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: June 03, 2015 03:13AM

You don't see what everyone sees in Cameron?

How about the fact that he is 2" taller, runs a 4.59 40(Clay=4.7), can jump 5" higher than Clay, has a larger catch radius and his best season was better than Clay's best season in every category. (He also averaged 18 yard per catch last year)

Cameron: 80/917/7
Clay: 69/759/6

All that while playing for 15 different QB's! And bad QB's at that. He also played for 3 head coaches in 4 years.

I am not happy about losing Clay either. That could have been avoided with a franchise tag BUT Cameron isn't exactly a consolation prize.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 03, 2015 05:30AM

Joe what people are scared of is the concussions....Not that one is more gifted than the otherone.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: June 03, 2015 02:34PM

Jordan Cameron just looks hella slower and clunkier than Clay.

Date: June 04, 2015 02:40AM

You must be looking at Cameron Jordan.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: June 04, 2015 07:14AM

......or Cam Cameron

......or Jordan Philips

Date: January 28, 2016 03:54AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you are .500 for pretty much 3 years in a
> row, some heads need to roll. The roster needs NEW
> ENERGY. What you have is NOT WORKING. We NEED to
> lose the losing mentality and force a complete
> turn around.
>
> We all know Philbin's head will stay attached so
> I'm not going to waste my time whining about it.
> (I am still hopeful for a new DC)
>
> Players that we need to lose.....
>
> Mike Wallace +2.5 (mil)
> Dannell Ellerbe +5.65
> Randy Starks +5
> Earl Mitchell +3
> Dallas Thomas +217k
> Shelley Smith +2.75
> Brandon Gibson +3.26
> Cortland Finnegan +5.5
> Koa Misi +2.7
> Caleb Sturgis +550k
>
> That eliminates the stink of 5 or 6 Ireland
> acquisitions and saves 31 mil in cap space that we
> desperately need.
>
> Jamar Taylor and Will Davis get one shot to fight
> for one spot. I fthey cannot TAKE the CB2 spot or
> nickle spot, they are gone. (two more Ireland
> infections potentially gone)
>
> Only Miami free agents I would offer contracts to
> are ....
>
> Charles Clay: Will be a monster when healhty
> Jared Odrick: 3.5 mil per year. If he wants more
> he can walk.
> Moreno: 1.75 mil prove it deal
> Matt Moore: backup money only. No more 4 mil per
> year. 1.5 tops
> Michael Thomas: Gets a shot to compete at FS
> Don Jones: Great ST player
>
> QB Tannehill
> RB Miller
> TE Clay/Sims/Lynch
> WR1
> WR2 Hartline
> WRS Landry
> LT Albert
> LG
> C Pouncey
> RG
> RT James
>
> SDE Wake
> NT
> 3T
> WDE Vernon
>
> SLB Jordan
> MLB
> WLB Jenkins
>
> CB1 Grimes
> CB2
> CBN
>
> FS
> SS Jones
>
> Unrestricted Free Agents I am AGGRESSIVELY
> pursuing.....
>
> Dan Williams OR Terrence Knighton: Top NT's to
> clog the middle
>
> Orlando Franklin: Top zone blocking LG who can
> also play LT until Albert gets back
>
> Brandon Flowers: CB from SD.
>
> Hickey will have to fill in the roster with lower
> level/ high potential players and by using the
> draft.
>
> We still need a 3-technique DT, MLB, CB, FS, RG &
> WR. He's got his work cut out for him!

GROUNDHOG DAY!

Look at some of these former posts from the end of last season and see if you can identify any areas that were fixed.

Date: January 28, 2016 05:26AM

The Purge: Part II (or 1a/do-over)

Cut:

Earl Mitchell +2.5 mil
Quinton Coples +7.75
Brent Grimes +6.5
Koa Misi +3.7
Greg Jennings +4

If you look back in this thread you will notice my comments about Grimes not playing well the second half of 2014. It was more of the same this year so I think it's time to part ways. He is to be 33 in July and seems to be in decline. (Plus his wife is an embarrassment.) Vance Joseph's DB's played A LOT of press man in Cincy. Grimes cannot do that and doesn't like to so that's another reason...

SUB-TOTAL +24.5 mil

Restructure:

Ndamukong Suh +16
Cameron Wake +4
Jordan Cameron +3

SUB-TOTAL +23 mil

TOTAL SAVINGS +47.5 mil

A 10 mil increase in the salary cap this year takes it up to 154 million ceiling. As of now we are 8 mil over the cap. These moves would leave us with about 40 mil to make FA moves.

I know everyone says you can't build in FA but once again, we have no choice. We need 10 new starters and have 7 draft choices. We will be lucky to get 4 starters in the draft. VERY lucky.

Sources say that the FO will be very aggressive in FA.

We need FS, DE, DT, CBx2, MLB, WLB, SLB, LG, RG & T.

This year's FA class in weak in DE so I'm not sure what we are going to do. I don't see blue chippers at the top of the draft but there are some 2nd round type players. We have many ? at that position. Wake, Coples, Moore, Shelby, Jordan.

Also weak in FA linebackers.

Right off the bat I would target a top CB, DT & LG in FA.

If VJ wants to play press they may look at bringing back Sean Smith. There's a pretty good market for FA Cb's.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 08:19AM

I think that in FA we should target a left tackle that can play guard until Albert gets hurt again- if he doesn't, the guy can play guard until we need to replace Albert - and at his age, we will, sooner or later- probably sooner. This is assuming that such a player is available in FA, of course. We might have to draft one instead.

Rick

Date: January 28, 2016 11:07AM

Haha..that's what I said last year.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 28, 2016 11:58PM

Date: January 29, 2016 04:19AM

Fox was cut two weeks ago.

Dion Sims numbers regressed just like Cameron, because they were forced to pass protect too often and help that pathetic o-line.

Dion Jordan is another problem. I believe they are waiting to see his state of mind before they make a decision. Similar to what they did with Ricky Williams. Reinstatement will hinge on passing up to 10 drug tests per month.

If he decides he would rather get high than make millions, the Dolphins can go after him for $3.335 million paid already in signing bonus. They would get a credit on the cap if they do that and not count any more money against the cap.

Jordan already forfeited a year and a half of free agent eligibility meaning the time he was suspended doesn't count towards his contract.

He has earned 15.5 mil of his deal thus far and that accounts for all of his guaranteed money....minus the 3.335 if they pursue it AND they should if he is not working out and drug free RIGHT NOW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 04:19AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 29, 2016 04:58AM

Thx Joe - overthecap must not have updated for Fox's release.

Clarification - all Miami has to do is "go after" the bonus money, or do they actually have to collect it to get the salary cap benefit?

The TE stuff as it relates to the OL makes me even more willing to roll the dice...assuming we fix the OL. I would make OL my top offseason priority in terms of player acquisition. We have 3 1st rounders and 2 3rd-round duds on the line. The 1st-rounders generally play like 1st rounders when healthy, in my opinion. I'd get a sure-fire high-quality starter at G in FA and draft OL in the 1st or 2nd round...liking the idea of someone who can start at G immediately but be able to take over at LT when Albert isn't able to play (hopefully due to retirement in a couple or so years). The FA could be Mathis without breaking the bank if last year's situation applies.

I'm not smart enough about OL to know if Turner & Thomas are complete turds with no potential, or if they should be retained for depth and development.

Date: January 29, 2016 06:40AM

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:07AM

BTW I think $8 over the cap isn't correct because of the roll over. On overthecap.com, 'cap space' on the dark red ribbon, the dolphins are 'currently' $2.685M over conservative $150M cap. This doesn't include Jason Fox which put them at around $1.4M over. It looks like Miami rolled over $9.1M of cap space from last year. If you look at overthecap, a lot of team have a lot of money. 2/3 of the league has $20M or more. Obviously some franchise tag will eat into that number, but that doesn't even include any of the obvious cut or restructures. Miami has at least 4 player that fit this.

Personally, I wouldn't cut Brent Grimes or Misi because Miami is thin at those positions.

Hopefully Miami can replace Mitchell or Misi with younger cheaper talent. Grimes did have some injuries this year but he still is probably worth $6.5M salary that he is due this year. Top corners is this league are commanding $12M+. He isn't a top corner, but he is still Miami's best corner by long shot. If Miami released Brent Grimes, I bet he would get that number or even more.

IMO I don't like the idea of restructuring Suh's contract and pushing money off into future years. Dawn Aponte hasn't been doing this even when easy cap relief was available in the past. This team isn't 1 or 2 players away from making a Super Bowl run. It is a G, G, TE, DE, DE, LB, LB, CB, CB perhaps a even a QB away from being a SB contender. The team also needs better depth across the team as well.

I would do this if I was GM

Cut
Coples +7.75M
Jennings +4M
Jordan +3.3M
Mitchell +2.5M

Restructure or Cut
Wake +8.4M
Cameron +7.5M

That put the cap space at 32M (without Wake or Cameron), Draft picks will need $5M of cap space, so that leave $27M and a lot of holes.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:23AM

FS, DE, DT, CBx2, MLB, WLB, SLB, LG, RG & T. CB and OL

IMO that's just too big of a list for one off-season Joe.

I think CBx2 DE OLx2 (T/G type) are realistic this draft with a patch at MLB. Then heavy focus UFA on OL DL and LB.

Problem as I see it is -- there seems to be a league wide problem with OL play -- and very few teams with truly strong OLs. I think it's harder position to solve now than say 10 years ago or even further back. Not sure why -- just insufficient OL talent.

Maybe the proliferation of the spread O in college has changed the dynamics there? Could be. Just speculation.

BNF.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:29AM

I hope we don't get $$ crazed again in FA.

I'm OK with another 8-8 9-7 type season as long as Gase gets to implement his plan and not get short sighted.

I'm down with getting even younger and setting sights for the future rather than try and make a splash next season.

Let's make smart moves designed to get this team where we want to be within a 2-3 year plan.

Like it or not -- this product still needs time to be ready for high performance.

BNF.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 29, 2016 11:24AM

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.