HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Purge
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Purge
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 29, 2014 04:58AM

When you are .500 for pretty much 3 years in a row, some heads need to roll. The roster needs NEW ENERGY. What you have is NOT WORKING. We NEED to lose the losing mentality and force a complete turn around.

We all know Philbin's head will stay attached so I'm not going to waste my time whining about it. (I am still hopeful for a new DC)

Players that we need to lose.....

Mike Wallace +2.5 (mil)
Dannell Ellerbe +5.65
Randy Starks +5
Earl Mitchell +3
Dallas Thomas +217k
Shelley Smith +2.75
Brandon Gibson +3.26
Cortland Finnegan +5.5
Koa Misi +2.7
Caleb Sturgis +550k

That eliminates the stink of 5 or 6 Ireland acquisitions and saves 31 mil in cap space that we desperately need.

Jamar Taylor and Will Davis get one shot to fight for one spot. I fthey cannot TAKE the CB2 spot or nickle spot, they are gone. (two more Ireland infections potentially gone)

Only Miami free agents I would offer contracts to are ....

Charles Clay: Will be a monster when healhty
Jared Odrick: 3.5 mil per year. If he wants more he can walk.
Moreno: 1.75 mil prove it deal
Matt Moore: backup money only. No more 4 mil per year. 1.5 tops
Michael Thomas: Gets a shot to compete at FS
Don Jones: Great ST player

QB Tannehill
RB Miller
TE Clay/Sims/Lynch
WR1
WR2 Hartline
WRS Landry
LT Albert
LG
C Pouncey
RG
RT James

SDE Wake
NT
3T
WDE Vernon

SLB Jordan
MLB
WLB Jenkins

CB1 Grimes
CB2
CBN

FS
SS Jones

Unrestricted Free Agents I am AGGRESSIVELY pursuing.....

Dan Williams OR Terrence Knighton: Top NT's to clog the middle

Orlando Franklin: Top zone blocking LG who can also play LT until Albert gets back

Brandon Flowers: CB from SD.

Hickey will have to fill in the roster with lower level/ high potential players and by using the draft.

We still need a 3-technique DT, MLB, CB, FS, RG & WR. He's got his work cut out for him!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Purge
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 29, 2014 05:04AM

The only thing I might do different is keep Dallas Thomas and let him compete at RG, I make Philbin sign a contract to not let him sniff a tackle spot. He's the type of guy we could lament as letting "get away" in a few years.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 06:09AM

I too would keep Thomas at G for that price. Would keep Gibson and try to trade Hartline. Gibson and Mathews can pretty much do the same as Hartline. We need draft picks this year. I would try to get a 4th for Hartline, CLEV needs a mature and dependable WR and Wake, maybe the Saints would give up a 2nd rnd pick for him.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 10:51AM

With the way the defense played yesterday, there would be no one safe if I were making the calls. No pressure on their QB, receivers running completely free, missed assignments, shitty tackling, allowing big play after big play, and it goes on and on. Was Olivier Vernon even in the game? I didn't hear his name called once. Honestly, with the exception of Cam Wake, and maybe Jenkins, & Grimes (although Grimes' last two games have been underwhelming performances) there isn't anyone on the defense that shouldn't be at risk of losing their jobs. Coyle should have been fired last year. A failure to replace him now after this kind of defensive meltdown is nothing more than a slap in the face to the fans.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: December 30, 2014 11:13AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too would keep Thomas at G for that price. Would
> keep Gibson and try to trade Hartline. Gibson and
> Mathews can pretty much do the same as Hartline.
> We need draft picks this year. I would try to get
> a 4th for Hartline, CLEV needs a mature and
> dependable WR and Wake, maybe the Saints would
> give up a 2nd rnd pick for him.

Are you SERIOUS???

GIBSON isn't close to being worth the money he gets, and MATTHEWS is dick: if he was going to "show" something, he would've done so by now. Stop being a Homey. Realism's better! HARTLINE can actually run patterns, get open and catch the damn ball. He's faster than you think, and faster than most true "possession WRs" are. I'd cut BOTH GIBSON and MATTHEWS, especially MATTHEWS: MIAMI can't wait on him forever. After all, LANDRY's waiting...and he looks like he'll be the proverbial pick of the litter.

The one thing that you're 1,000,000% correct about i/m/o is THOMAS at G for the right price. But ONLY at the right price, because i/m/o MIAMI's best efforts in F/A should be at G, at DT, and at G AGAIN!! Cap $$$ permitting, of course.

Date: December 31, 2014 08:06AM

Speaking of purging....

Joe W @Joe_W_Dolphins

“@OmarKelly: It should also be pointed Vinatieri made 30 of 31 FG's this season. Miami's Sturgis was 29 of 37> 24 pts (8x3pts) missed

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 03:49PM

I agree with the exception of Thomas and maybe Mitchell and add Wheeler.

Sturgis is gone
Brandon Flowers played well in SD
I would trade Wake, Wallace & Hartline for whatever we can get vets or picks

We need a big WR in the draft. You just can't get them in FA unless they are headcases like Marshall

Date: January 01, 2015 02:39AM

Trading Wake leaves us with a pass rusher who put up 6.5 sacks and only 1 over the last 5 or 6 games. Not worth it.

Makes no sense to cut Wheeler. You're just paying him AND taking the full cap hit (4.5 mil) for him to play somewhere else. Might as well use him even as a backup.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 02, 2015 03:53AM

LUDUPORCU Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I too would keep Thomas at G for that price.
> Would
> > keep Gibson and try to trade Hartline. Gibson
> and
> > Mathews can pretty much do the same as
> Hartline.
> > We need draft picks this year. I would try to
> get
> > a 4th for Hartline, CLEV needs a mature and
> > dependable WR and Wake, maybe the Saints would
> > give up a 2nd rnd pick for him.
>
> Are you SERIOUS???
>
> GIBSON isn't close to being worth the money he
> gets, and MATTHEWS is dick: if he was going to
> "show" something, he would've done so by now. Stop
> being a Homey. Realism's better! HARTLINE can
> actually run patterns, get open and catch the damn
> ball. He's faster than you think, and faster than
> most true "possession WRs" are. I'd cut BOTH
> GIBSON and MATTHEWS, especially MATTHEWS: MIAMI
> can't wait on him forever. After all, LANDRY's
> waiting...and he looks like he'll be the
> proverbial pick of the litter.
>
> The one thing that you're 1,000,000% correct about
> i/m/o is THOMAS at G for the right price. But ONLY
> at the right price, because i/m/o MIAMI's best
> efforts in F/A should be at G, at DT, and at G
> AGAIN!! Cap $$$ permitting, of course.

Yeah thinking I would cut Gibson after first making him an offer to adjust his salary and he refuses. Still trading Hartline, the guy just does not get into the end zone enough.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: January 02, 2015 05:13AM

No, I do not agree. Purge is needed when you are 4-12 for 3 years in a row.

8-8 is a good record. We are close to the extent we have the system, the coaches, and the QB to compete. We need some improvements, but not a purge.

1. Phins need better playcalling on game days. Consistent balance on offense throughout a game and from game to game. On defense they need to simplify things, put players in their full time positions and go with base formations, less blitzing would go a long way.

2. QB must improve in finding open routs quicker. Too many times RT is missing wide open routes.

3. Stop playing losing football, shooting ourselves in the foot in the redzone. Offensive line's play is particularly problematic with untimely penalties, and the QB takes untimely sacks. This puts us in 2nd and long, 3rd and long too often.

4. Start acquiring beasts. We cannot afford any longer to draft a middle of the pack tackle because of a need and pass on players like Kelvin Benjamin I though those days were over when Ireland was fired. Obviously that is not the case, and that has to change.

5. Stop overpaying for veteran bums. Contracts for $5 mil and over should be reserved for beasts and leaders. No one on our roster that is paid over $5 mil is a beast or a leader. Cannot have a team structured like that. It wastes resources. I understand that a lot of the signings were Ireland's so it will take time to clean up the mess. (Jones and Albert notwithstanding.)

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 02, 2015 10:44AM

Date: January 02, 2015 01:23PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 02, 2015 01:49PM

We have to draft Kevin White, Devante Parker, Jaelen Strong or Devin Smith, maybe Doriel Green-beckham 6'6"! Big #1 receivers only come through the draft other than headcases like Marshall & Wallace. makes some trades and pick up some mid round picks and take a few OL & OL 2-5

Date: January 05, 2015 08:19AM

Date: January 15, 2015 05:10AM

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 15, 2015 10:05AM

I never understood why praise was heaped on Wilson, he never seemed to make any plays.

Date: January 15, 2015 10:35AM

dolphin Wrote:
> I never understood why praise was heaped on
> Wilson, he never seemed to make any plays.

What's that ole saying that there are things that when they DON'T hear your name, it's good?

I think being a shut down D back is one of them.

Just responding to his comments, you wolves, not saying that Wilson is great.

Date: January 16, 2015 04:05AM

I don't think you want a CB that is never heard from... That saying was meant for O-linemen. I want a CB that is on the highlight film....and not from getting toasted.

CB is a huge need this year. Grimes was terrible the last 6 games and Finnegan is overpaid. Wilson is a FA.

Could end up being a first round pick.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 16, 2015 06:50AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I don't think you want a CB that is never heard
> from... That saying was meant for O-linemen. I
> want a CB that is on the highlight film....and not
> from getting toasted.
>
> CB is a huge need this year. Grimes was terrible
> the last 6 games and Finnegan is overpaid. Wilson
> is a FA.
>
> Could end up being a first round pick.

You are right Joe, CB is a HUGE need. Grimes was up and down. Finnegan was bad most of the year and horrific vs the Jets (I bet he retires).

Taylor and Davis both have shown they can play but neither can stay healthy.

I thin we need to sign a capable vet, without breaking the bank, to start opposite Grimes. Then you have Taylor and Davis as the 3 & 4 with a cheap vet or a rookie as the 5th CB.

I've only looked at a few CB's so far but I don't think there are any shutdown corners in this draft that might be at the top of our board when #14 rolls around.

Maybe we grab a guy later but (at least as of now) I'll be surprised if we go CB at #14.

Date: January 16, 2015 07:08AM

What's the most likely position to start day 1 from our top needs of CB, OL, DT, LB, FS???

Likely an OT unless you can find an Aaron Donald (unlikely).

The more I think about it the more I think we have to take an OT. It sucks but that's reality when you need two guards and a tackle to start the year.

Then it comes down to BPA from DT or OT. We are not as hard up on the o-line as we were last year so we have more options even though it really is just one other option.

Of course this all depends on what we do in FA. The suspense is killing me.

Date: January 16, 2015 07:48AM

Date: January 16, 2015 08:35AM

Lots of talk about our WR's this year.

Brian Hartline: Highly paid, underachieved this year. Never scores enough TD's.

Gibson: overpaid for a 4th/part time receiver.

Wallace: On coaches bad side and overpaid.

Mathews: on coaches bad side. Was inactive for last couple games of season because he was late for meetings and ticked Philbin off.

It will be hard to let Hartline go if they cut Gibson AND Mathews/

The option (from JP's standpoint) is to keep Gibson, cut Hartline & Rishard Mathews but then you are depending on a WR who has a history of getting injured.

Surely they cannot cut Hartline, Gibson and Mathews.

RE: DT's

Suh and Knighton are two different type of DT's. One is a 3 technique and one is a NT. I have been reading where Knighton tends to struggle with weight. He was fined 300k for being overweight this year.

Suh will become the highest paid DT in the league this year. Gerald McCoy currently holds that distinction. He had a cap hit of 21.2 mil this year and an average of 15.8 mil cap hit. We cannot afford Suh.

That's more than all of our DT's combined if you also include Odrick.

Not sure what Odrick will demand on the open market. A 3-4 team may pay him 6-7 mil per year. Desmond Bryant got that much in 2013 after a off-season arrest.

Mitchell is a JAG.

Starks needs a big man next to him unless he is just declining. That will have to be evaluated.

There are no easy answers but I do know we need to get better. I would possibly let Odrick walk, cut Mitchell, keep Starks and then either....

A. Sign Dan Williams as a NT
B. Draft Shelton or Brown as NT.

If you can get Williams for what Odrick can get then you have to do it, IMO.

I could argue that we should sign Williams and draft a DT.

Date: January 16, 2015 11:44AM

I don't think we get rid of all three wr's. We'd have to sign one and draft two just to have a full squad.

I think Hartline is gone. I think one of the other two Gibson/Matthews is gone also.

Its probably Gibson since he's the more expensive.

I suppose that if they think Hazel is legit that Matthews could get the axe but I think that's a decision made over during training camp.

Date: January 16, 2015 11:59AM

Ross said today he doesn't know if Wallace will be back. Also reported Wallace took himself out of the Pats game as well. See ya Mike. Send him off to Oakland for the 35th pick.

Keep Hartline, Landry, Gibson. Sign one, draft one.

You know JP is sick of Wallace AND Mathews.

Date: January 16, 2015 01:19PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Ross said today he doesn't know if Wallace will be
> back. Also reported Wallace took himself out of
> the Pats game as well. See ya Mike. Send him off
> to Oakland for the 35th pick.
>
> Keep Hartline, Landry, Gibson. Sign one, draft
> one.
>
> You know JP is sick of Wallace AND Mathews.

If I could trade Wallace for an early 2nd I would. I'm not cutting him. But if I can get a quality pick or picks for him, I'm in.

Its going to set back our offense for a year but if we are lucky enough to get Kevin White at #14 we'll be better off in the long run.

Date: January 16, 2015 04:31PM

Wallace can credibly blame either Tannehill or Philbin for his throwing a fit.

Didn't another Dolphin player scream at Philbin the game before?

We, as Dolphin fans, find that unforgivable, and I understand that perfectly, but sit back, take a step away and ask yourself how you would feel if you were a fan of ANOTHER TEAM and saw the Dolphin circus and the question was, would you like for your team to get the guy.

You might say, "I kinda don't blame the guy. Bring him here."

And that's the coaching and not even getting into the Tannehill long ball thingy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2015 04:32PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 17, 2015 09:39AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> What's the most likely position to start day 1
> from our top needs of CB, OL, DT, LB, FS???
>
> Likely an OT unless you can find an Aaron Donald
> (unlikely).
>
> The more I think about it the more I think we have
> to take an OT. It sucks but that's reality when
> you need two guards and a tackle to start the
> year.
>
> Then it comes down to BPA from DT or OT. We are
> not as hard up on the o-line as we were last year
> so we have more options even though it really is
> just one other option.
>
> Of course this all depends on what we do in FA.
> The suspense is killing me.

Joe, I'm taking it for granted you don't think Albert will start the season?

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 17, 2015 09:44AM

I don't think anyone is going to sign Hartline for $7.5M or more. With his recent production, Hartline is going to have to drop his asking price.

Possible Miami could bring him back at a cheaper rate, once Hartline realizes that big money is not coming his way.

I like Hartline. I think he can bounce back, and I would like for him to do that for Miami, not some other team.

But...if he insists on leaving, so be it.

Date: January 18, 2015 05:02AM

Would any of you sacrifice Hartline and Wallace for a guy like Demaryius Thomas? And I don't mean a trade with Denver. DT is a FA so we would have to cut both guys, restructure or trade.

That still leaves us a deep threat (4.38 speed) but also one who is more capable than Wallace at fighting for the ball , being and end zone target (6'3 230 & 35 Td's over last 3 years)) as well as yards after catch. DT led the league this year in yards after the catch so it wasn't all Manning.

Personally, I would do it.

WR1 Thomas
WR2 rookie, Gibson, Mathews,
WRS Landry

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 18, 2015 05:19AM

In a heartbeat, I just don't see anyway this happens though, the more likely scenario to me is, we cut Gibson, Hartline and Mathews in March, see how the draft plays out with some of the stud receivers in the 1st rnd, then depending on how that goes they either cut Wallace June 1st or start kissing his ass for one more year.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.