HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Nose Tackle
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Nose Tackle
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 15, 2009 03:53PM

The scoop around the league is that Miami needs a NT to replace Jason Ferguson after this year. He is considering retirement after the season.

We probably don't have a chance to get BJ Raji and he seems like he may be the only NT prospect with the ability to contribute from day one. Most defensive tackles take a few years to be able to come in and make an impact.

Albert Haynesworth started only 3 games in his rookie year but had 21 tackles as a rotation guy. He started 11 out of 12 games his second year but had about the same production as a rookie. He was the 15th overall pick.

Shaun Rogers came in and dominated from day one.

However, neither of those players played NT in a 3-4.

Vince Wilfork started 6 games as a rookie but had a pretty productive season. Casey Hampton got off to a slow start.

The second ranked DT with the ability to play NT is Ron Brace. The question is....can he, will he be better than Paul Solaia or Joe Cohen? Beyond Brace the talent lies in the 3rd or later rounds and is very limited. Very unlikely that anyone other than Raji could get much playing time this year or even the following year.

Fergy missed a game in week 11. Solaia was suspended. Randy Starks stepped in for Fergy and had 5 tackles but the Ravens ran right through us for 139 yards. McGahee had 105 yards and 1 td. Starks is the exact same size as Fergy but usually plays DE and nickle DT.

This season we have Fergy, Solaia, Joe Cohen and Tony McDaniel on the roster to compete at NT.

Solaia is going into a key 3rd year and is bigger than almost any NT is the league (height/weight ratio).

The remaining three are about the same weight (312 lbs) but McD is 6'7.

Cohen is a former 4th round pick who used to run a 4.47 40 when at 235 lbs playing FB. He is also going into his 3rd year but missed an entire year on IR. He is from U of Florida.

McDaniels, a former undrafted free agent, is a raw prospect with a great skill set but needs refining. He is from U of Tennessee.

I could see us taking a late round flyer on a NT but Miami has signed two NT's to compete for playing time and one of two roster spots. McD and Cohen, both in their 3rd year should have a leg up on any rookie coming into camp but anything could happen. I don't see anyone in the draft after Brace with the ability to come in and beat out all three of these players. I am not sure if Brace could even do it. It is rare for a first round rookie, let alone a lower round prospect.

Ferguson was a 7th round pick but was a huge steal and came in with 3.5 sacks and 23 tackles in his rookie year. He only started 1 out of 13 games.

We obviously need help and could stand to improve our run defense dramatically. We were stout at times and great in the red zone but broke too many times throughout the season.

Was this because Fergy is slipping, Our LB'ers are weak against the rush or a combination of that and our DE's need to play better? I would say the latter.

How do we upgrade? New NT? Better LB's? Better DE's? We all know Porter is a liability vs the rush. Roth is pretty stout. CC makes most of his tackles too far down the field and Ayodele could be upgraded. Langford and Merling should be much better.

Thoughts on how to fix this issue?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nose Tackle
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 04:39PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 15, 2009 04:55PM

I wouldn't mind drafting Brace, if he's good enough, but I'd really rather not use up a 3rd or 4th rounder on a player for that position who wouldn't even be on the field. In this draft, I feel that we have to draft for quality, not just bodies. We need to upgrade as many positions as we can. Hopefully Fergie can hang on one more year.

I'm worried we lost Holiday. I don't know if the rookies are ready to replace him.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 15, 2009 07:02PM

They have already said that McDaniel will be playing DE.

Look for Michigan's Terrance Taylor in the 4th round. On Sirius NFL radio, he said that Miami has shown the most interest in him. He was the strongest guy at the combine.

I have a problem with Brace in that he's going to be drafted higher than his real value. He's never played NT in a 3-4, and has always benefited from having Raji next to him. But, his stock has risen because there are very few NT prospects in this draft. It will likely take a 2nd round pick to get him. But, he's not a 2nd round talent.

The other name to watch for is Vaughn Martin, a 325 pounder from Western Ontario that we have worked out.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 09:08AM

It is deinftely going to be interesting, what moves we do make towards getting a young replacment NT. If Raji slips into the mid teens, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami made a move or trade to try and get him. They will not do it until they know they can get him with a specific pick at that moment in the draft. If not maybe they do like the guy from Michigan or Hampton or Brace possible. But I don't think they will reach for any of them.

Date: April 16, 2009 09:33AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have already said that McDaniel will be
> playing DE.
>
> Look for Michigan's Terrance Taylor in the 4th
> round. On Sirius NFL radio, he said that Miami has
> shown the most interest in him. He was the
> strongest guy at the combine.
>
> I have a problem with Brace in that he's going to
> be drafted higher than his real value. He's never
> played NT in a 3-4, and has always benefited from
> having Raji next to him. But, his stock has risen
> because there are very few NT prospects in this
> draft. It will likely take a 2nd round pick to get
> him. But, he's not a 2nd round talent.
>
> The other name to watch for is Vaughn Martin, a
> 325 pounder from Western Ontario that we have
> worked out.

Good point. I forgot about McD at DE. I agree completely about Brace.

.....................................................................................

Date: August 27, 2009 09:26AM

I watched a clip of the NE loss to Cincy last night and saw Ron Brace get his arse handed to him by a young former 5th round DT turned OG...Jason Shirley. Brace was knocked on his back side and pancaked.

Date: August 27, 2009 09:32AM

on another note...I have heard Ziggy Hood is looking good at DE for the Steelers and is getting a look as the future NT for Casey Hampton who is a FA next year.

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 27, 2009 10:03AM

Does it realy matter, i mean we are one year away from a totaly awsome offense, because we will know exactly where we stand from a talent stand point at all our wr's, TE'S, and O-lineman. The outside linebacker position is scary, because Porter and Taylor are old, and being pass rusher's? I also hope we finish mopping up our D backfield, because im not realy sold on our D-backs. I see to many big plays givin up, and i think that its going to be about 2 years before we achieve the shut down defense, although i do believe we will be solid this year.

Date: August 27, 2009 11:27AM

Does what really matter? I am just passing along some interesting news.

our pass defense will be fine. we gave up a few plays last week but were missing two CB's....and probably our best CB in Sean Smith

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 27, 2009 02:48PM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The outside
> linebacker position is scary, because Porter and
> Taylor are old, and being pass rusher's?
I think we're ok at OLB. Moses has stepped up this year. Anderson played well last year in passing situations. We DO still have Roth. Finally, Wake has looked good in preseason.

I actually think our weakness is at ILB. When our NT broke down, that's where teams ran over us last year. We need another Zach Thomas/A J Duhe/John Offerdahl/Nick Buoniconti

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.