HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New Career Passing Record
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
New Career Passing Record
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 20, 2014 04:38AM

While watching the Broncos play the 49ers last night on SNF, because Peyton Manning was on the threshold of breaking Favre's TD record, I was daydreaming about our HOF record holder, Dan Marino.

Dan was ahead of his time. His performance year-in-year out created the passing environment we have today in the NFL. Changes in the rules also dramatically changed the offense which allowed for higher scoring and most importantly exciting pass plays.

Dan's 48 TD season was a record that held up for years. His total passing yards for a career did the same thing. He was amazing as were our quality receivers--Duper and Clayton. We were very fortunate to have all of them.

We have several elite QBs today. Peyton Manning has to be at the very top. His passing TDs last night eclipsed Favre's numbers who attempted far more passes than did Manning or Marino. Peyton has an astounding ability to put the ball in the right place. He's very accurate and he's been blessed with receivers that catch. All the greats have guys that catch without good receivers, ya' got nothing.

Manning could retire now and go out on top. However, he's so robust, he's winning, hitting his target receivers, that he could add 100 more TD passes to his numbers. Only upstart Andrew Luck might be a threat to surpassing Marino, Favre's and possibly Manning's records.

Time will tell. But most importantly, we have to appreciate Peyton's success. He's been simply terrific. thumbs up When he retires, he'll be fun to listen to in the booth. He's sure to be there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Career Passing Record
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 20, 2014 04:48AM

Peyton is great I respect him a lot but still would take Dan over him in a heartbeat.

Date: October 20, 2014 04:53AM

I wouldn't trade Manning for Marino either.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 20, 2014 05:18AM

I would take Manning in a heartbeat.
Manning is still playing, still scoring TDs, still setting records.
Marino can't even beat out Boomer for an announcer's job. eye rolling smiley

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 20, 2014 05:54AM

Marino in his prime again...I take him over Manning in a hot second. It sure would be fun to watch him play with todays rules.

You can't just dismiss the greatness of Peyton though...after all he is 89 TD's ahead of Marino in the same number of seasons. Even considering all of the rules changes, that's pretty astounding.

Also, consider that for all of the unbridled success he's enjoyed and all of the TD's he's thrown for in his career so far. Brady is currently 48 TD's behind Marino in two fewer seasons...at his current rate of production he would have to reach the first game of the 2016 season barring a playoff appearence just to tie Marino.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 20, 2014 06:07AM

How many more passes though?

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 20, 2014 06:39AM

Marino: 17 Seasons.....4967 / 8358 / 59.4% / 61,361 / 420 / 252
Manning: 17th season..5681 / 8669 / 65.5% / 66,812 / 510 / 222
Brady: 15th season.....4329 / 6832 / 63.4% / 50,854 / 372 / 136

My applogies, Manning is 90 ahead of Marino not 89 as I previouesly stated...I didn't account for his last TD pass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 06:41AM by Ken.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 20, 2014 06:48AM

I would take us just winning consistently. On to the Jags.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: October 20, 2014 08:03AM

As has been discussed many times, Marino played in an era when WR's got mugged by DB's. Throws had to be perfect and Marino made some amazing ones. He carried the team on his back when there was no defense or running game. Half of the so called elite QB's of today would be just average had they played 20 years ago.

I think Manning would still be good but imagine the yards Marino would have put up if DB's had to play by the same rules of today AND if he hadn't of languished with JJ forcing the running game.

Marino also turned good receivers into great ones. After the Marks brothers, I don't think he had any WR's that are as talented as Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison or even Demarius Thomas. Then you have Eric Decker, etc.

Date: October 20, 2014 08:25AM

Different era with different rules. Marino was the beginning of today's open passing era.

Date: October 20, 2014 08:37AM

The next best one was Irving Fryar. You had Mcduffie and Nat Moore who were better then average, but not by much.

It would be really cool if you could see what different players would do in different eras.

Without question Marino could play today.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 20, 2014 09:25AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Different era with different rules. Marino was
> the beginning of today's open passing era.

Marino would of had 1000 tds in this era where you breathe over a receiver and get called for a penalty.

Date: October 20, 2014 10:18AM

Did you see the interview where Manning said that Dan was his man?

Marino threw people open. Need to go back and watch come classic Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.