HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who's the next coach?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Who's the next coach?
Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: October 15, 2014 02:11PM

Chryn you hit the nail on the head.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 20, 2014 05:16PM

Dolphin, of course winning is the name of the game and no, for the record, I am not happy with not winning. I also have a really good grasp of current methods and how things have changed. The game has evolved and what you have to do to win in this era. I also know that football isn't as complicated as some make it out to be. The same things that worked to win games in the 70's still work today...be accurate, fast, out physical the opponent, limit mistakes and make plays when they are there and you will win games. You on the other hand, are not happy with much of anything except for Tannehill not playing well, and Philbin making mistakes.

Chyren, I'm glad you didn't see any similarity since we are not the same person...I agree that Philbin made mistakes with respect to the timeout useage. But one thing I pointed out in another post is that its kind of a double edged sword thing. If we have the result we got, he's an idiot. But, if the timeouts allow our gassed defense a couple of extra seconds to get some air and a brief res, AND if our defense actually makes a play and we win...he's a genious.

As to your scenario above, in theory yes, it would have been better to have them score quicker to preserve time on the clock. But, you have to play to win and you have to trust your defense to make a play when you need it to.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 20, 2014 07:48PM

I feel you Ken, as I have always in the past. Just disagree here where Rodgers score ended up being with only six seconds left on the clock. Hard for me to believe that had we not called timeouts, those same six seconds would have still been on the clock.

But, as you say, as for the gassed defense and one big play, I still tend to think that at least then we would have had enough time on the clock and remember, we only needed 3 points to go into overtime, a field goal. Remember we were 4 points ahead and Rodgers needed a touchdown. Had he only needed a field goal to go ahead, he could have played "run down the clock as much as you can before kicking the go-ahead field goal."

I wasn't trying to imply you and KB were the same people LOL. Just saying that in the past I usually agreed with you more than he.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 21, 2014 05:34AM

Cool, Chyren. I agree with your thinking but in every season there is bound to be a couple of games that get away from you no matter what. Green Bay was one of ours. We just have to have our players make plays when they have the chance. Our players, each one of them, must truly believe that no matter what we will prevail in the end if they take care of thier responsibilities, limit mistakes and make the plays that are there for them.

The coaches have some say in this and mistakes by them have an effect but in the end the players simply have to get it done...let's all hope we are FINALLY moving in that direction.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 21, 2014 05:40AM

You on the other hand, are not happy with much of anything except for Tannehill not playing well, and Philbin making mistakes.

You are correct BECAUSE they keep the team from winning!

The game would not have gotten away IF we had not called 3 times outs in the last 4 minutes to help them out.

Ask any team this question. Would you like to have 6 timeouts in the 4th quarter?

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:10PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool, Chyren. I agree with your thinking but in
> every season there is bound to be a couple of
> games that get away from you no matter what. Green
> Bay was one of ours. We just have to have our
> players make plays when they have the chance. Our
> players, each one of them, must truly believe
> that no matter what we will prevail in the end if
> they take care of thier responsibilities, limit
> mistakes and make the plays that are there for
> them.
>
> The coaches have some say in this and mistakes by
> them have an effect but in the end the players
> simply have to get it done...let's all hope we are
> FINALLY moving in that direction.

The problem, Ken, is that mediocre teams (Miami) cannot afford to have those games get away from them. A mediocre team doesn't have the "killer instinct" to put those games away. They always do something to screw up and either let the opposing team back in the game or allow that team to win at the very end.

A good team (Gcool smiley can have those lapses; they can always come back the next week.

Teams like Miami cannot do that.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.