HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Issue going forward
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Issue going forward
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: October 02, 2014 06:17AM

Great to get a win before the bye but some issues I'm seeing....

Tackling was better this week and Cb's played better but considering the matchups in week 4, it's still tough to gauge level of play going forward.

Brent Grimes has been ok and had a big play in week 4. He also gave one up for a TD. He's given up 2 more TD's in 2014 than he did all of last year. Not real concerned about him but he will need to play better looking ahead to some great passing games. Finnegan has been just a bit better IMO.

Aaron Rodgers, Cutler, Rivers, Stafford, Manning coming up.

Reshad Jones comes back so Wilson gets put back at nickle with Davis getting much fewer snaps. I've been seeing Jamar Taylor's snaps have been increasing and he got 35 in week 4. He has been decent.

We should be better off in the secondary and probably start seeing more big plays. I think Jones will me motivated and Delmas will be back in a normal role at FS instead of playing so close to the LOS.

Misi will be back at MLB and hopefully healthy. I think we will start seeing our best LB play of the pas two seasons. Jenkins is doing a great job and has solidified his spot at WLB. Even Wheeler has been pretty good with a cast on his hand. I think this unit will just get better. Wheeler is a better fit as the SLB that leaves in the nickle defense.

Wake & Vernon are on Pace for 8 sacks apiece. I think overall they have been good but hopefully we start seeing more sacks and turnovers.

Our guards have been been inconsistent. They have gone from adequate to bad and back. Hopefully Pouncey helps out as now he can handle just about anyone one on one and that frees up the guards. Smith should be back and that helps in the running game. He still needs to work on his pass pro.

I don't know what is going on with our WR's. Hartline is on pace for 644 yards and 4 TD's. Wallace is on pace for 984 and 12 TD's.

Gibson on pace for 260/0
Landry on pace for 444/0

Most positions will seem to reap the benefits of getting players back from injury. Hopefully WR's will play better as the offense comes together more as a unit.

TE:

Clay on pace for 444/0. Sims is erratic in the passing game but has 2 TD's so far. Gatoe has been invisible as well.

Looks like WR's/receivers are the group that needs to step up IMO. There is no reason that this offense cannot continue to get better and better. Tannehill should get better pass protection and this should aid the receivers as well.

Clay has two weeks to get healthy and will hopefully make some big plays vs GB. Philbin said he thinks Clay is ready to break out. 2 receptions for 32 yards vs the Raiders backup LB's & Safeties isn't going to cut it.

Some issues to deal with but nothing insurmountable.

Big kudos to Lamar Miller/Moreno and our running game. Miller has even looked better as a receiver. I think Darkwa's headed to the PS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issue going forward
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 02, 2014 07:40AM

It's the same (SIMPLE) story:

If Thill plays big in a consistent manner this team will have more answers than questions.

If Thill plays inconsistently this team will have more questions than answers.

That said -- Clay is obviously NOT healthy and I am not sure he'll be the same player this year as last... Depends on how much he can heal without additional work.

Date: October 02, 2014 07:55AM

T-hill will perform consistently when the players around him do the same. He may never be Peyton Manning but he can be Alex Smith. He will not lose a game for you if the players around him are doing their jobs...blocking, catching, etc.

Give hims that consistency around him and you will see performances like Alex Smith did last week vs the Pats.

Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: October 02, 2014 08:20AM

I guess the question to ask is what type of QB does one want leading the team? I would much rather have Peyton Manning than Alex Smith.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:23AM

Also let's take a look at teams led by Alex Smith. He has been on great teams/ SF and KC loaded with talent and he still could not win the big game. When Manning was on a great team he won the big dance. He came close a few other times too and will eventually get another one being this or next year. Alex smith although a solid QB will more than likely never win the SB.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:28AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> T-hill will perform consistently when the players
> around him do the same. He may never be Peyton
> Manning but he can be Alex Smith. He will not lose
> a game for you if the players around him are doing
> their jobs...blocking, catching, etc.
>
> Give hims that consistency around him and you will
> see performances like Alex Smith did last week vs
> the Pats.

Exactly. AND you need to let him run some. We all know we don't want our QB getting banging up and I have no doubt that Philbin tells him to stay in the pocket and that creates sacks. Got to let him play his game. I saw him running head on into tacklers.....that I don't want to see on a consistent basis. But let him throw bootlegs and do some wildcat shit once and a while. You can see the difference in his whole persona once he gets dirty some.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 02, 2014 08:36AM

Yeah when he takes off it's like his brain goes into " this shit just got real" mode and ups his game.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:40AM

TannyDaMan Wrote:
> Yeah when he takes off it's like his brain goes
> into " this shit just got real" mode and ups his
> game.

Exactly Tanny........The worst thing you can ever do to him is make him take a knee like he did against Buffalo before that half. That was so demotivating. It killed the mental aspect of it for the rest of the game. I hope Philbin doesn't ruin him before he is replaced. He might not WANT to sign next season.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 02, 2014 09:43AM

IF running the ball makes Tanny better I am all for it.

Date: October 02, 2014 10:55AM

TannyDaMan Wrote:
> I guess the question to ask is what type of QB
> does one want leading the team? I would much
> rather have Peyton Manning than Alex Smith.

First off i thought you blocked me? Couldn't stay away huh?

Secondly, What an insightful statement. "I would rather have Peyton than Alex". Wow! Do you really think it's that easy to find a Hall of Fame QB? That's your criteria for judging Tannehill? eye rolling smiley

You do realize that Manning is in the discussion for best QB of all time right? That means he's one of about 5 QB's out of about 2000 that have come out over the last 30 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2014 11:13AM by JoeFootball.

Date: October 02, 2014 11:09AM

TannyDaMan Wrote:
> Also let's take a look at teams led by Alex Smith.
> He has been on great teams/ SF and KC loaded with
> talent and he still could not win the big game.
> When Manning was on a great team he won the big
> dance. He came close a few other times too and
> will eventually get another one being this or next
> year. Alex smith although a solid QB will more
> than likely never win the SB.

That is definitely a simple and one sided way of looking at things. Dan Marino NEVER led his team to "win the big one". Does that mean he couldn't have done it if surrounded by the right ingredients? NO.

Alex Smith didn't find his way until his 6th year when they finally got the formula right. So actually your judging his entire career based on about 3 years on "great" teams. How many QB's win the big one after 3 seasons? A few have done it but a VERY SMALL percentage. Maybe 1%.

The point was that Tannehill can be as good as Alex Smith was last week when the other 10 guys do their job and that's plenty good enough to win a SB.

Not saying he will take 6 years to figure it out because he's already ahead of where Smith was in game 36 as a pro.

Date: October 02, 2014 11:26AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 02, 2014 11:29AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> TannyDaMan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I guess the question to ask is what type of QB
> > does one want leading the team? I would much
> > rather have Peyton Manning than Alex Smith.
>
> First off i thought you blocked me? Couldn't stay
> away huh?

Joe, when a poster blocks another, it does not block out the whole thread started by the person he blocked including the posts of other posters who post in that same thread on the subject. And if those other posters quote the blocked person (not saying that happened here) the blocker will be shown the post of that blocked person despite his having blocked him.

Date: October 02, 2014 11:46AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 02, 2014 12:46PM

Do you mean "THE" Truth because you said "the" Truth? LOL.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 02, 2014 12:53PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> TannyDaMan Wrote:
> -----
> > Also let's take a look at teams led by Alex
> Smith.
> > He has been on great teams/ SF and KC loaded
> with
> > talent and he still could not win the big game.
> > When Manning was on a great team he won the big
> > dance. He came close a few other times too and
> > will eventually get another one being this or
> next
> > year. Alex smith although a solid QB will more
> > than likely never win the SB.
>
> That is definitely a simple and one sided way of
> looking at things. Dan Marino NEVER led his team
> to "win the big one". Does that mean he couldn't
> have done it if surrounded by the right
> ingredients? NO.
>
> Alex Smith didn't find his way until his 6th year
> when they finally got the formula right. So
> actually your judging his entire career based on
> about 3 years on "great" teams. How many QB's win
> the big one after 3 seasons? A few have done it
> but a VERY SMALL percentage. Maybe 1%.
>
> The point was that Tannehill can be as good as
> Alex Smith was last week when the other 10 guys do
> their job and that's plenty good enough to win a
> SB.
>
> Not saying he will take 6 years to figure it out
> because he's already ahead of where Smith was in
> game 36 as a pro.

I was unable to see the Oakland game, but from the few hi-lites that I did see, what I noticed about RT is that he was stepping into his throws. Doing this allows him to really get it out of his hand quickly and with "zip." This helps in the short game by being able to lead his receivers better, and in the long game by getting more air under it, allowing the receivers to get under it.

If he can keep that up, he will do just fine the rest of the year.

Date: October 02, 2014 01:38PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Do you mean "THE" Truth because you said "the"
> Truth? LOL.

That's da truth , da whole truth , and nothing but da truth......so help me Counselorgrinning smiley!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 02, 2014 01:43PM

captkoi Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> -----
> > TannyDaMan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Also let's take a look at teams led by Alex
> > Smith.
> > > He has been on great teams/ SF and KC loaded
> > with
> > > talent and he still could not win the big
> game.
> > > When Manning was on a great team he won the
> big
> > > dance. He came close a few other times too
> and
> > > will eventually get another one being this or
> > next
> > > year. Alex smith although a solid QB will
> more
> > > than likely never win the SB.
> >
> > That is definitely a simple and one sided way
> of
> > looking at things. Dan Marino NEVER led his
> team
> > to "win the big one". Does that mean he
> couldn't
> > have done it if surrounded by the right
> > ingredients? NO.
> >
> > Alex Smith didn't find his way until his 6th
> year
> > when they finally got the formula right. So
> > actually your judging his entire career based
> on
> > about 3 years on "great" teams. How many QB's
> win
> > the big one after 3 seasons? A few have done it
> > but a VERY SMALL percentage. Maybe 1%.
> >
> > The point was that Tannehill can be as good as
> > Alex Smith was last week when the other 10 guys
> do
> > their job and that's plenty good enough to win
> a
> > SB.
> >
> > Not saying he will take 6 years to figure it
> out
> > because he's already ahead of where Smith was
> in
> > game 36 as a pro.
>
> **************************************************
> *****
>
> I was unable to see the Oakland game, but from the
> few hi-lites that I did see, what I noticed about
> RT is that he was stepping into his throws. Doing
> this allows him to really get it out of his hand
> quickly and with "zip." This helps in the short
> game by being able to lead his receivers better,
> and in the long game by getting more air under it,
> allowing the receivers to get under it.
>
> If he can keep that up, he will do just fine the
> rest of the year.

Cool. someone finally wants to talk about football!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 02, 2014 03:18PM

What I liked most about last week from our offense was that the ball was spread around.. In my opinion it is hard for the offense to be successful if Hartline, Clay, Gibson are not all involved every week.. Especially Hartline, if he doesn't catch his share of balls each week we just are not the same offense... We aren't going to be a good passing team unless all of our playmakers are involved.

I am pleasantly surprised with the improvement and impact of Wallace.. I think he is playing like one of the most intense guys on the field which is something I didn't see from him last year..

Also I think the real weakness we have seen with Grimes, is when they run the ball at him, he is not a big guy who can easily shed blockers and help in the run game.. It seemed in our 2 losses they ran the ball in his direction a lot..

I am hoping Misi can also help in the coverage of TE's and RB's out of the backfield. It just didn't seem to be something Trusnick was very good at... The opening TD we gave up to the Raiders was Trusnicks guy..

We also have turned the ball over to much IMO.. Although we are equal in the turnover battle on paper..The balls we have given up have been more impactful then the balls we took away..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 02, 2014 05:27PM

100% agree with the Wallace evaluation -- the dude is really showing a depth and dimension I did not think he had. The tuffs he's showing is inspired -- perhaps a bit inspired by Landry? (as tuff as we've had @WR since Mr. Tuff OJ McTuffie!)

I think Thill has the essential chops to be a legit elite coitusback. He's no "pussy." The kid can run. Has muscles in the right places. And seemingly neurons as well.
If ??? he pulls his TOTAL GAME together -- he has footballzilla upside.

True story!

Fantastic athlete with an excellent arm, hard worker, dedicated, and seems to be developing the emotional maturity and stability to be a real PRO.

Looking ahead -- we still need a few top shelf pieces on the OL (or some very positive development of the current roster like Dallas Thomas and some other big dude -- preferably BIG and NASTY ). Give Ryan an excellent OL and solid running game and he could be as "productive" as any coitusback in the league.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

PS: keep it simple. WIN the next game!!!

hot smiley

Date: October 03, 2014 02:09AM

drinking smiley

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 03, 2014 04:10AM

OJ Mcduffy was my main man......He was a first down machine bro...And having thee man throwing him the rock helped.

Thee man even had oronde gadgen looking good...As slow as he was..

Let the record show i was a oronde gadgen fanatic. He had one of the best hands ive ever seen. Like glue.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 05, 2014 02:55AM

I think that continued comfort in the system by both Tannehill and the receiving corps should lead to an uptick in the passing game. While it's hard to get too excited about about what we saw against Oakland, I think we saw a more complete picture of what the passing offense can and should look like than we did the previous 3 games.

I think when we see YPA under 5 and so many drops and throws off target, we're seeing growing pains vs. unresolveable issues. Timing's just a bit off...routes maybe just a bit off...throws not just where they're supposed to be...protection looks like it's worse than it is because the ball doesn't come out quickly enough...etc.

Date: October 05, 2014 07:40AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> OJ Mcduffy was my main man......He was a first
> down machine bro...And having thee man throwing
> him the rock helped.
>
> Thee man even had oronde gadgen looking good...As
> slow as he was..
>
> Let the record show i was a oronde gadgen fanatic.
> He had one of the best hands ive ever seen. Like
> glue.

My Favorite all time dolphin 1st down Machine was Tony Nathan. That guy was more reliable then mans best friend.

LOVED Orande Gadsen. Guy had HUGE hands. I'm telling you.......our problem is receivers NOT the QB. Those guy did not get perfect passes every time. They went out and found the ball.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 07:41AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.