HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          He's baaaaaack...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
He's baaaaaack...
Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: September 30, 2014 10:22AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: He's baaaaaack...
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 10:34AM

The raiders are going to be scoring a lot of field goals from now on.

Fist Pump.

Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: September 30, 2014 10:38AM

@#$%& yeah we get to see the fist pump. Pick up there kicker!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: September 30, 2014 10:44AM

Good for him!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 30, 2014 11:00AM

Sparano should have another shot at HC. Hopefully, for his sake, he learned a few things while he was here that will help him with his new responsibilities. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I agree with dolphin--good for him.

Date: September 30, 2014 11:14AM

yeah, the players loved him. I would have been ok with him staying here IF he had let the OC call all the plays and make all the decisions.

Those FG's were getting sick.

Date: September 30, 2014 11:20AM

Im sure dolfin you would had loved for him to stay here so we could keep kicking fieldgoals..YUP No TDs but fieldgoals...

Got nothing against sparano and wish him best but he is nothing but a OL coach.

And a bad OLIne coach..

He couldnt even get the dolphins Oline fixed in his time here.

Date: September 30, 2014 11:23AM

samsam really? can you not read or comprehend? Cant you find someone to explain things to you?

I said I would be happy he stayed IF he gave total control to the OC AND that the FG's were tiring.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 30, 2014 11:39AM

Here's the thing. I've said it a thousand times. When Sparano was here I hated it. I thought he was too conservative in his play calling.

BUT..................................................when Philbin came in, I don't know whether it was to be NOT LIKE SPARANO or what but he became TOO RECKLESS.

He cost us ONE GAME because we were just on the edge of Carpenter's field goal range (meaning 52 or 53 yard fg) BEHIND BY ONLY THREE POINTS IN THE CLOSING MINUTE OF THE GAME and we were 1ST AND 10, and Philbin threw THREE STRAIGHT LONG BOMBS, which failed, and Carpenter missed the field goal AND WE LOST INSTEAD OF GOING INTO OVERTIME.

Next, many times we were 3rd and inches FOR A FIRST DOWN INSIDE THE FIVE YARD LINE and Philbin would either throw a PASS or pitch the ball BACK FIVE YARDS to the running back and have him try to make up that yard plus score. It was Foolphin's was of (heh, heh) "catching them off guard." When the media criticized him for it, he DID IT THE VERY NEXT WEEK TO GIVE THE FINGER TO THEM AND SHOW HE WAS IN CHARGE.

Sparano would have tried to quarterback sneak or have the running back to have run forward to meet the QB for the handoff.

So we traded one problem for another.....perhaps a worse one. I'd rather have a coach that is too conservative than too reckless.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 12:04PM

Could any HC be consistently successful with Chad Henne at the helm? That being said, he was a horrible OC and play caller for the Jets...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: September 30, 2014 01:15PM

Don't follow the Jets unless they are actually playing a game against us so don't know.

Date: September 30, 2014 06:59PM

He has the only field goal punter ever to be drafted in the first round. A dream come true for him.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 30, 2014 07:01PM

You're making me laugh but you really ought to cut the dude some slack, Treasure. LOL.

Date: September 30, 2014 09:18PM

Date: September 30, 2014 09:23PM

In his defense , the only other time Philbin got that excited was when Ross gave him the full DVD collection of The Big Bang Theory........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 09:31PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: September 30, 2014 09:24PM

It all depends on your make-up. That scene does not offend me as much as the scene of a bald-knuckle head who is immune to common sense.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 01, 2014 02:29AM

Too bad this didn't happen BEFORE we played them. I'd love for us to beat down a Sparano-coached team.

Date: October 01, 2014 04:34AM

Hey ChyrenB--Ha, Ha, Ha. Every time I hear (read) the word "knucklehead" I have a flashback to the days of early 50's TV and Paul Winchell. Knucklehead Smiff was one of Paul's character dummies. "Knucklehead Smiff" did silly, foolish things.

Paul often had assistants working the arms and mouth of the characters while he was able to walk freely and add more to the comedy. Jerry Mahoney was Paul's main character dummy. The Paul Winchell Show...live early TV-- Fun, wholesome stuff for kids during the 50s and 60s.

Date: October 01, 2014 09:49AM

Yo! Colonel! You might be the only one on this board that might beat me in terms of age. I was born in 1948. So the EARLY 50's were a little too early for my TV watching memories but I do remember HOWDY DOODY!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 01, 2014 10:02AM

Leon in Denver was a bit older too but, conspicuously absent as of late. I hope he's OK.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: October 01, 2014 10:26AM

Hooligan, leon in denver posted here the other day. I think he is ok.

Date: October 01, 2014 10:45AM

Date: October 01, 2014 06:30PM

ChyrenB--
This is off topic--again. There were many, many shows that I watched on our TV that was maybe a 10" screen. My mom used to tell me to sit back from the TV so I wouldn't ruin my eyes. Crazy--sitting two feet from the screen and you could barely see anything. I remember my dad putting up our first antenna on the chimney. Those rabbit ears were not very good. Each channel seemed to require a different position.

I watched Howdy as well along with Superman. My younger brother and I would wrestle and I'd say to him he could either be Tarzan (Johnny Weismuller) or Superman (George Reeves). He always picked Tarzan and I routinely overpowered him pinning him to the floor yelling "I Superman." I had a favorite bath towel that was my cape. It was light yellow, but hey, I could imagine anything. To me it was Superman's real cape.

Hopalong Cassidy (Hoppy) was one of my heroes. Clayton Moore as The Lone Ranger was great. The episodes were fast and the bad guys quickly subdued. The silver bullets--loved them--only a law abiding guy would have them. Both Hoppy and TLR had stud white horses.

Back then as I've done my entire life, I've been an early bird. That worked well for me in the military. But long before doing that, I watched a show call The Big Picture. As I recall it came on at 6:30 am, right after the signal pattern went off and the farm report. The Big Picture was about WW2 and Korea. Real footage. As a boomer, this show kept me peeled to the tv set. For some reason, it was amazing to me. From and early age I wanted to go into the military. One of my favorite songs from the late 40s-early 50s was a song sung by Vaughn Monroe. "Old Soldiers Never Die." It was a 45 and I learned how to play it on my parents Victrola. I played that song over and over. The lyrics, as a kid intrigued me. "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." Later, much later I learned those words came from MacArthur. Then it all came back to me seeing him in television newsreel clips about Korea.
My interest in the military was great, and as a result, could not get enough war movies under my belt. Army, Navy, Marines, on land, at sea, in the air. Loved all the stories. Adored the heroes.

In 8th grade, one of our assignments we had in English class was to write a short essay on what we wanted to do when we grew up. There were the typical, doctor, lawyer, dentist, firemen and policemen papers. I was the only one who wrote about becoming the Captain of a US Navy destroyer. My teacher was so moved by it she had me read it out loud to my classmates. I wish I had kept a copy of it. It was filled with descriptive, romantic language and discussed missions, working with good men, and doing it for the United States of America. I've always been a flag waver, I guess, but I digress...

Knucklehead Smiff--our Philbin--hopefully he'll learn enough so such a moniker won't be right for him. I have my fingers crossed. thumbs up

ChyrenB--Did you ever play Mumbly Peg? Spin a top, trade baseball cards....put them in your spokes? Yep, I wanted a BB gun too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 01, 2014 07:23PM

Colonel, all of that stuff comes back to me except Mumbly Peg, which I had only heard that the kids in England played.

As far as the military, I got out on a high lottery number and student deferments but SINCE I SPENT MY WHOLE LIFE FROM 1948 TO 1965 basically in FORT SILL, OKLAHOMA, I needed no formal military induction having basically grown up in a military town.

(If you've ever been there, did you visit Geronimo's cell?)

Date: October 02, 2014 03:34AM

I was TDY to Fort Sill for a two-day conference only and never got time to explore while there.

Date: October 02, 2014 10:16AM

What Gate Number were you near?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.