HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Getting Tired
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Getting Tired
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 06, 2014 03:34PM

the owners pay that kind of money to put a good product on the field. they put a good product on the field to put butts in seats.

butts in seats buy concessions, gifts, jerseys, souvenirs, parking passes.

that pays operating expenses. tv contracts turn a profit.

without the fans the owners aren't making money.

you could flip those two but it amounts to the same thing. the fans butter the bread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 06, 2014 04:28PM

Contracts are generally risk and reward decision, a bit different in the NFL If you want minimum risk you try to get a long term deal. But when 2 years in the market shifts, don't coming asking for more, as you won't be bringing any back when underperforming

The option is playing the market and taking a short term deal which can be risky with injuries like Keller's

Date: August 06, 2014 07:38PM

>
> My whole point on this is......if a doctor that
> saves life isnt worth 10 million dollars a year,
> then an athlete isnt either.
>
> Athletes are way overpaid and owners are to blame.

Sorry my friend, people are worth whatever you are willing to pay them.That's exactly why players like Darell Revis can and do take advantage.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 06, 2014 09:02PM

Doctors, policemen and add teachers do provide a more valuable and more importantly a more needed bunch of services than athletes but this is America. The King of Capitalism, which proved Karl Marx wrong by the creation of a huge middle class which Marx did not foresee.

It is that huge middle class that Big Business sells to and one can cry over huge salaries but if the product was not marketable to the middle class to the extent that the supply and the demand would not support the salaries, then there would be no huge salaries. So in the end we are all of us complicit in those salaries.

For those jealous of those salaries, you have to remember that a pro career is brief in almost all sports and briefest of all in football.

These guys have to live off these salaries for the rest of their lives. And certainly they make enough money so as not to have to worry but still, some manage to screw it up and end up living under freeways because they don't save and invest that money when they make it.

Hate em for that if you want to but that doesn't mean that these huge salaries are not a necessity given 1) the revenue they are generating and 2) the aforementioned need to live off this money for the rest of their lives (of course there are reporting jobs, coaching jobs, etc.).

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 07, 2014 12:55AM

^^^^ I concur Bob ^^^^thumbs up

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: August 07, 2014 02:42AM

There are less than 2,000 NFL players out of a population of 320+/- million. They are the very best at their profession.

I would guess that the top 2,000 people in just any profession you could think of (not just sports) earn really big $$$ - stockbrokers, real estate, banking, manufacturing, etc.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 07, 2014 03:48AM

Truth....I love this country. Best country in the world. Everybody wants to be here. Im gratefull to this country and will ever be for everything they have done to me and my family.

And i respecfully disagree....Its the owners fault for paying these players such high salaries. Owners can choose to pay this athletes less. But they do not because they do not care about fans. All they care about is getting richer.

Fan on the other hand are already hooked into sports.....and have no choice. And sports owners know this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 03:53AM by samsam3738.

Date: August 07, 2014 04:07AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 07, 2014 04:21AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Truth....I love this country. Best country in the
> world. Everybody wants to be here. Im gratefull to
> this country and will ever be for everything they
> have done to me and my family.

I know that buddy. But if you are in favor of limiting salaries and profits in the private sector while giving huge increases to public sector employees then you've been voting for the wrong party all these years. smiling smiley

>
>
> And i respecfully disagree....Its the owners fault
> for paying these players such high salaries.
> Owners can choose to pay this athletes less.

Actually Sam, they can't. Sure they can choose to pay any one player less or more. But they are required to spend about 47% of their revenues on their players. That's how you end up with a 120-130m salary cap.

If the league was able to squeeze only 1billion a year out of fans instead of 10 billion then salaries would be a lot lower. As long as fans keep pouring more and more money into the system player salaries and owner profits are only going to go up.

>But
> they do not because they do not care about fans.
> All they care about is getting richer.

True, but they still have to give 47% of what they bring in to their players. Reduce what revenue they generate and player salaries along with owner profits will drop.

>
> Fan on the other hand are already hooked into
> sports.....and have no choice. And sports owners
> know this.

Come on bud. That's bs and you know it.

Sure you are hooked on the product, but like drugs, booze, food, gambling, etc... You CHOOSE to be hooked and you can choose not to be hooked as well.

Date: August 07, 2014 04:21AM

SCPhinsFan Wrote:
> There are less than 2,000 NFL players out of a
> population of 320+/- million. They are the very
> best at their profession.

Firefighters, Policemen, Doctors are a minority as well...

And they make make peanuts compared to athletes. And they do a more important job than athletes.

Just saying, life is unfair.

BTW they treat althletes like god as well.....a RB beats his girlfriend and all he gets is a 2 game suspension.

I bet you a regular citizen does the same thing and he doesn't get away with it that easily.

Date: August 07, 2014 04:29AM

BTW truth.....I know you agree with me.....

Athletes are way overpaid compared to other proffesions of more importance.

Guaranteed you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats they whole point im trying to make.

Date: August 07, 2014 04:34AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> BTW truth.....I know you agree with me.....
>
>
> Athletes are way overpaid compared to other
> proffesions of more importance.
>
>
> Guaranteed you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> ___
>
>
> Thats they whole point im trying to make.

I'd agree that our values are screwed up as a people when that happens but I have no problem with people getting a fair share of the money their labors and skills produce. None at all.

I have no issue at all with athletes making what they make. It's not like they are stealing it from people like wall Street bankers.

Date: August 07, 2014 04:55AM

Date: August 07, 2014 05:00AM

Just pointing out things i see that hurts seeing them.

But thats just how it has always been.

Date: August 07, 2014 05:34AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-->
>
>
> Who says im in favor of limiting
> salaries?.....Like they cant live off a mill a
> year? instead of 10...
>

Ummmmm... Isn't arguing that nfl players should make 1m instead of 10m suggesting that their salaries should be limited?

confused smiley

>
> But wait a minute.....these so called athletes
> want to have 10 porshes parked in front of their
> 150 mill mantions....which they aint even going to
> use...
>
> Why?

Who cares why? This is America. If you have a skill that allows you to earn enough money to afford those luxuries, God bless and have fun.

>
> Because Sport owners pamper them.

America pampers them. From the day the dominate their first pee wee football game.

>
>
> And i bet you the kid that cleans the bathroom at
> the stadium gets minimal wage.

Yes, because ANYONE can push a broom or scrub a toilet.

How many guys run a 4.4 forty or can throw a football like Dan Marino?

>
>
> This is the best country in the world..I love this
> country..I have to say life has been good to
> me....But nothing in the universe is perfect.
>
> 1. From a kid in haiti dying because he has
> nothing to eat.....
>
> 2. To a pro Athlete in the USA who spends 40 grand
> at dinner on a night out.
>
>

Two entirely different things buddy that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

>
> I have everything a man could ever want....
>
> But....

But what?

You want the world to be a better place then do something to make that happen in your spare time other than watching football on tv.

>
>
> Come on truth you know you agree with me.

On what?

>
>
> Isn't life unfair to some people?

Sure. Some get Shitty parents who abuse them. Some grow up without parents who love them. Some are born in wealthy countries. Others are born into poverty.

Who ever said life was fair? Or that it could be?

>
>
> Notice the ones in bold.
>
>
> PS. Im not complaining....Just pointing out the
> truth.
>
>
> ....I know we cant change the world....But come on
> going from dying because you do not have 25 cents
> to eat.....to spending 40 grand a night?

What do the two have to do with each other? Unless you are suggesting that nobody should be wealthy or that everyone should be given no more than any other on this planet.

Date: August 07, 2014 05:58AM

Date: August 07, 2014 06:32AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> truth if these athletes didnt make 10 mill a
> year...maybe the team owners could afford to pay
> the poor kid who cleans the bathroom....a couple
> of bucks more than the minimun.

So how about we just raise the minimum wage across the country so the guy who cleans the toilet at the dolphins stadium isn't getting a better deal than the guy who cleans the toilet at the Marlins or Panthers games?

>
> Truth Quote: Yes, because ANYONE can push a broom
> or scrub a toilet.
>
>
> You make it seem like they are less of a human
> being for doing it.

No I'm not. I'm just pointing out that the skills required to do that job are skills that 99.99% of us have. That you can take any unemployed person in this country and have them do that job.

You can't do that with football. Not and get people to fork over their hard earned cash for the privilege of attending or watching on Channel 4 each Sunday at 1pm.

>
>
> I think differently. A person can scrub a toilet
> for a living and i wouldn't think any less of him
> or her.

Where did I say there was no dignity in that type of work?

>
> I can meet a person that scrubs a toilet and a
> super pro athlete at the same time and i would
> treat them both the same way.

How many wash room attendants have you gotten autographs from or sat down on Sundays to watch work for 3hrs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 06:36AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 07, 2014 07:14AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Enter Crowder in 3-2-1........

LOL Dolph- I knew I picked a good week to go fishing and lobstering in the Bahamas.... Lets just say I don't entirely agree with all that my buddy Truth is selling on the subject.... Every situation and municipality is different on what pays is for public servants and govt employees... Some are way to high, some are way to low... And for the record I don't pay anyone minimum wage... and only 5 percent of my employees make less then 14 dollars an hour... The guy that cleans the toilets makes 12 an hour... The seventeen your old kid first time job, starts at 10 as an assistant to another employee because I am paying someone else to do what he does at the same time for training... That being said, I still don't like the govt interfering in what I should pay people... That isn't a free market...

Is it a surprise that really the only unions left are paid by the govt, at least in these parts.... Trading votes for our dollars, with no real bottom line or profitability in mind... What I like to call the "somebody else's" money scenario...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 07, 2014 07:25AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
--------------------------. Lets
> just say I don't entirely agree with all that my
> buddy Truth is selling on the subject.... Every
> situation and municipality is different on what
> pays is for public servants and govt employees...
> Some are way to high, some are way to low... And

What exactly am I "selling" that you don't agree with?

> for the record I don't pay anyone minimum wage...

Well then clearly you don't own an NFL team if you aren't paying your janitorial staff minimum wage. smiling smiley

Date: August 07, 2014 10:52AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> > Hate em for that if you want to but that
> doesn't
> > mean that these huge salaries are not a
> necessity
> > given 1) the revenue they are generating and 2)
> > the aforementioned need to live off this money
> for
> > the rest of their lives (of course there are
> > reporting jobs, coaching jobs, etc.).
>
TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
>
> Can't agree with that. Its insane to see a guy
> like Warren Sapp who made $80 Million and has a
> high paying broadcasting job dead broke.
> I could live off $1 million in the bank easy.

ROTFLMAO, but that's why you make your living with your brains and not your brawn.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 07, 2014 11:22AM

If the players didn't get paid all that money, it would just go into the pocket of corporate America (vomit). Football players deserve more than baseball or basketball IMO because they can't play as long and suffer the ill-effects for the rest of their lives.

I have no problem with athletes getting paid all that money for that reason alone.

Does Paul Allen (Microsoft/Seahawks) really need to add to his 16 BILLION DOLLAR fortune so he doesn't have to pay his athletes? He is the wealthiest sports owner in the country.

(I believe Ross is the 3rd wealthiest NFL owner) Stephen Ross, Dolphins, $5.4 billion

The richest MBL owner doesn't even come close.

Date: August 07, 2014 01:17PM

Quoe:> Can't agree with that. Its insane to see a guy
> like Warren Sapp who made $80 Million and has a
> high paying broadcasting job dead broke.
> I could live off $1 million in the bank easy.

Any reasonable human can live off 1 million dollars for a lifetime.

But warren sapp chose to drive a 500 thousand ferrari...instead of a very reasonable 50 grand car....

A 50 thousand dollar BMW wasnt good for warren sapp you know.

A nice 450 thousand house wasnt good enough for warren sapp..

He wanted a 30 mill mantion instead.

Date: August 07, 2014 02:23PM

You make a good point, SamSam. It was what I was driving at when I said these guys don't realize that NOT ONLY do they have to live off that money FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES but ..........

.......why don't they consider that if they DON'T spend their money LIKE A DRUNKEN SAILOR.....then perhaps they can PASS THE WEALTH DOWN THROUGH GENERATIONS so that not only their children but their grandchildren don't have to depend on having enough talent in sports or working like a white collar slave as an alternative to starving.

Hell, these guys make enough money to even have their grandchildren not worry about not being in the wealthy class.

Date: August 07, 2014 02:35PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Quoe:> Can't agree with that. Its insane to see a
> guy
> > like Warren Sapp who made $80 Million and has a
>
> > high paying broadcasting job dead broke.
> > I could live off $1 million in the bank easy.
>
>
> Any reasonable human can live off 1 million
> dollars for a lifetime.
>
> But warren sapp chose to drive a 500 thousand
> ferrari...instead of a very reasonable 50 grand
> car....
>
> A 50 thousand dollar BMW wasnt good for warren
> sapp you know.
>
> A nice 450 thousand house wasnt good enough for
> warren sapp..
>
> He wanted a 30 mill mantion instead.

There are knuckleheads in all walks of life Sam. The size of your bank account doesn't determine whether or not you are a responsible person.

And making obscene amounts of money isn't a sin. In fact, its a goal of just about every person in this country.

Oh, and if you were 20, living in the NY city area, and I handed you a million bucks and told you to live off that for the rest of your life, that "rest of your life" would be about 15 years.

Date: August 07, 2014 05:38PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 08, 2014 02:29AM

Truth of it a lot of ex nfl players are doing well in private life. The press likes to promote the dummies because they sell more papers that way. More ex phins are doing well than the dummies.

The kid w/ the Giants got served a hard dose of reality. Now he is an ex player at an early age the glamour is gone now he has to focus on his money. I read an article where a broke nba player said the mistake he made was not banking his money to his career was over. He made investments but did not take the time to follow and manage the market he invetsed in. Being young and dumb and making millions is not a good mix.

Date: August 08, 2014 04:21AM

Date: August 08, 2014 04:53AM

THE Truth Wrote:

>
> Oh, and if you were 20, living in the NY city
> area, and I handed you a million bucks and told
> you to live off that for the rest of your life,
> that "rest of your life" would be about 15 years.

I meant Warren Sapp could had lived off the money he made even in mars.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:17AM

Good point Mizzou.

The media just wants to sell papers.

It could be the case that 95% of the players do just fine but like the old saying "No one reports dog bites man but when man bites dog, that's the lead story of the day."

As such, you only hear about the 5% and get the false impression that the tail is wagging the dog.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 01:56PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Any reasonable human can live off 1 million
> dollars for a lifetime.
>

SamSam, if you have your million dollars invested in bluechip stocks that pay dividends, you are probably making only 3.5 to 4.0 percent or 35-40 thousand a year off of your million and that s before taxes... If you spend anymore then that your deducting from the principle each year which continuously deducts from both, your million and your annual percentage... Eventually you run dry.. So when they hear that, they invest in riskier prospects, which then makes it deduct rapidly... Living off a million dollars for your lifetime without adding to it, is a pipe dream, which maybe worked in the seventies when interest rates were through the roof and cost of living was much lower... But today doesn't work so well, unless you are extremely frugal and live just above the poverty line....Very few people with a million dollars in the bank do that....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.