Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          More "Son " trouble for Coach Philbin.........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
More "Son " trouble for Coach Philbin.........
Date: June 25, 2014 07:51AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More "Son " trouble for Coach Philbin.........
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 08:31AM

His 26 yr old adult son made a poor decision after a night of drinking. that has nothing to do with joe.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:40AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> His 26 yr old adult son made a poor decision after
> a night of drinking. that has nothing to do with
> joe.

Totally agree.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 10:07AM

Sounds like he made several poor decisions. Drinking all night, driving drunk, leaving the scene, leaving behind his phone, wallet and military ID.
The other son that died was also under the influence of something when he drowned.
If making poor decisions runs in the family it's news.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 10:17AM

Young kids drive drunk all the time...>Im guilty of that.....Its a terrible decision to drive drunk. Young kids are foolish as i was and i regret what i did.

But its even worse not to help someone in need of your help.

You could save someones life.

PS. Put me down for both. Both are stupid desisions.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:20PM

I've always stayed out of these discussions about his son (now sons). I have nothing but sympathy for him as a father.

Date: June 25, 2014 04:09PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I've always stayed out of these discussions about
> his son (now sons). I have nothing but sympathy
> for him as a father.

Absolutley. BUT Also as a father with a position of authority I know I am held to a higher standard. His position is obviously way more public but his ability to mold other young men's character is taking a beating here. Again I don't hold him responsible of course . Drinking and driving is stupid and too common. But leaving the scene after a crash with injuries is subhuman IMO at any age. Accountability is taught at home . My boys are human and do stupid shit all of the time. But God help them if they lie about it. Shame. He is a ranking Officer to boot! I hope this does not distract him to much.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 04:12PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:54AM

Leaving the scene of an accident, not helping someone is cowardice. Yep he wanted that promotion. Promotions are everything to some officers. We do stupid things, yes but character, like courage always knows when its time to step up.

Just another reason why I don't give much credit to Philbin when I hear of his talk about character players. Not sure he knows what that is. As TCP pointed out some things like character are learned at home.

Date: June 26, 2014 04:12AM

so you think he didn't instill that in his kids because one of them lacked it and got in trouble?

I've done some pretty stupid shit in my time. it wasn't for a lack of proper parenting it was that I made stupid decisions despite the values that were instilled in me.

maybe the military let him down. why don't we blame them?

Date: June 26, 2014 05:58AM

I don't know what the hell Philbin taught his kids. I did not blame Philbin for his sons discretion and neither would I blame the military.

Date: June 26, 2014 09:10AM

you just did.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: June 26, 2014 11:39AM

but his ability to mold other young men's character is taking a beating here. Again I don't hold him responsible of course

Sounds like you the one holding him responsible.

It always amazes me when people want to blame the parents, yet themselves have done stupid things regardless of the quality of their parents.

Date: June 26, 2014 12:58PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> you just did.

NOPE. What we are saying is Joe's Job is to manage a team of 60 young men. motivate them, teach them, make them winners.

What happened to his son that died was tragic, no ones fault and it could happen to anyone. never judge. I've seen tragic deaths to kids of judges, Police , doctors. The most awful thing to have to tell a parent is their child is dead. Worst part of my job and I always take the next day off to be with my kids.

But what happened to Joes eldest is troubling because its not the drinking and driving mistake. Its not the fact that he hit someone else's daughter and refused to render aid, but he RAN from it and then still tried to selfishly get a promotion when he is not worthy of any rank. That's deep ingrained character flaws. Everyone here knows I have been Joes biggest supporter here. I'm not saying he needs to step down or anything , But this is troubling.

Both my Boys know they are reflection of ME. In this community they are unfairly held to the same higher standard that I am. They do something stupid , its going in the paper.....Son of COP arrested Blah Blah Blah. Its just the way it is. Its much more interesting to read so it goes.

What was Joes son thinking? I'd like to think My son knows that making mistakes is fine as long as you own them. He won't get the DUI but he will get the fleeing the scene of an accident w/bodily injury and a separate charge and not rendering aid. The DUI can be dealt with. The rest is just shameful and I'm concerned how much more can Joe take and still be effective as a head coach in the NFL? Its a very valid concern.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 26, 2014 01:00PM

dolphin Wrote:
>
>
> .
>
> It always amazes me when people want to blame the
> parents, yet themselves have done stupid things
> regardless of the quality of their parents.

Don't understand your post (as usual) . Are you accusing me of driving while drunk? Leaving the scene of an accident? Whats your point? Do you ever have one? eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:20AM

The military will boot him. With all the cutbacks and reduction of force (thanks DC), and the fact that DUI is one of the biggest punishable offenses currently in the military, they will boot him.

In the Air Force, if you get a DUI.... See ya. Have a nice life.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: June 27, 2014 03:33AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> you just did.

JSM08 I am going to say this and then give you the last word, which seems important to you. You are implying your own thoughts into my emails and arguing them. Go debate yourself. I ended my original post w/ 'some things like charater are taught at home'. That was general did not have anything to do w/ philbins household.

I have alway questioned Philbin's perception of character by the way he handled this team. He orginally frowned on the teams leadership council when it contained solid veterans like Long. Then replaced it w/ his monkey court w/ a guy like Incog. We watched all of our solid characters walk away Long, Fasano Bush. He makes headlines by chewing out Thomas for being late (ok) and gets rid of Davis for partying. While a whole lot of other sh** is being covered up. We paid for it by having a stinking oline which killed this team.

So right now his character does not rate very high w/ me.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 08:14AM

I also have my doubts about Philbin's ability to lead and manage a football team. However I think any issue he's having with his sons have zero to do with that. They are all grown men and responsible for themselves. There's been plenty of "leaders" with kids who are f-d up.

Date: June 27, 2014 11:04AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I also have my doubts about Philbin's ability to
> lead and manage a football team. However I think
> any issue he's having with his sons have zero to
> do with that. They are all grown men and
> responsible for themselves. There's been plenty of
> "leaders" with kids who are f-d up.

True Dat. But the ones you are speaking of have achieved greatness. I don't think many here would question Belichicks ability to lead if he had a kid or two go bad. Look at the condition of this team last season! Again , Joe can just be the recipient of the worst luck ever........but this is just another check in the column of failing to instill character in a individual he was responsible for at one time .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 27, 2014 12:38PM

I was blessed with two sons who were born with "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Most people are not that lucky so yes, you have to teach the kids.

But it is more difficult nowadays as now, the teachers are not allowed to spank and I was spanked by teachers in elementary school in the 1950's and whipped with a belt by the science teacher coach who used to whip every boy who made a failing grade on the weekly test (I got whipped although I always made the second highest grade on the test for laughing at the boys with a hang dog look standing in line outside the closet waiting to be called in. "Get at the back of the line Mr. H."winking smiley

In Lawton, any neighborhood parent could whip you if you were caught "f-ing up" out on the streets. They took you home and told your parents they had whipped you and you go another whipping from your parents.

Nowadays, anybody, parent or teacher strikes a kid and THEY end up in the hoose gow or unemployed.

But Power seeks a vacuum. So today we have the rise of the bully. Kids at school bully other kids and the teachers dare not touch the bullies.

If a kid fights back, like my Godson did, they get suspended. A teacher saw him look disheveled and asked "Clayton, have you been in a fight?"

When Clayton asked what would happen if he were fighting, he was told he would get suspended. He said what if he were attacked and was told he would still be suspended whether aggressor or victim. He said "Well, no."

Lunacy.

Date: June 28, 2014 07:51AM

I can't even begin to understand the mentality that is the public school system. Kids are getting battered and bullied, drug use, its just off the chain. They hate Law Enforcement with a vengeance because an investigation makes the school look bad. They are so large and in charge until I stop by with a warrant and I make sure I handcuff the little &*%!! SOB in front of everyone and I walk him straight out the front door. The things covered up in schools would scare the hell out of you. Make sure you talk to your kids and ask them everyday what they did and whats going on. You leave it up to them your kid is doomed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 28, 2014 02:44PM

Ha, Ha, Treasure. You remind me of the job I had at Fremont High School, 1965-1966. I was on student council as Publicity Manager for the Fall Semester and Boys Judge for the Winter semester. But in the fall semester, I worked for the Vice Principal during what would be for other kids study hall.

My job was to go get kids who were wanted by the LAPD out of class. (This was Police Chief Parker's LAPD and Jack Webb's LAPD). Also in those days, LAPD officers could moonlight as security guards at Supermarkets. I was a box boy at ABC Markets in South Central and talked to many of them then.

Back to the getting kids out of class. There were two rooms in the office. I would tell the LAPD officers to go inside the inner room and wait on either side of the door. I would later bring the guy into the first room and tell him to walk through the second door and have a seat inside. Of course, when he did, he would be handcuffed.

There was one particularly obnoxious guy in the school, who, unrelated to everything would always call me "The Cowboy. Look at the Cowboy. Here come the Cowboy." He did it all the time when on campus. I never knew his name and I doubt he knew mine.

One day, I went into the class to get a kid by a certain name and, of course, I was told ahead of time that this kid would be in such-and-such class. So I went into the class to get this named kid. As soon as I stepped into the class, there was my old nemesis who happened to be in that class and he started saying "Hey, look! It's the Cowboy! It's the cowboy!"

The teacher asked me who did I want and I read off the name. Holy Sh_t! It happened to be my tormentor! I smiled and did the only "come hither" motion with my forefinger.

When we got out of the class, he nervously asked, "Hey man. What's this all about?"

I said, "I think you might have to do some detention time at the VP. You better be worried because I think that you might even have to be on trash detail."

"Oh, oh, yeah." He sighed, obviously relieved.

When he walked through that second door, I just laughed and walked away.

Date: June 29, 2014 05:05AM

TCP you sound old school. My mom was a school teacher, dad was crane operator at a small ship yard. They demanded good behavior. At the same time mom said none of you guys was born w/ wings on. So when we did wrong she kicked butt but let us know it was part of growing up but the stupid stuff ended in childhood. I have a 12 year old godson and now am considering sending him to private school. I always thought that public school worked for me it will work for him. Seems like the public school system here is sick. No one works together. Teachers hate the kids and vice versa. The good parents are out numbered by the nuts.

Date: June 29, 2014 12:58PM

I wouldn't know where to start about the public school system.except it not about the kids. It's about not creating lawsuits and attention to the school. Don't know who's fault that really is. The parents are some of the most ignorant people around. The fact that they have kids sickens me. Just stay involved in your kids life and they will be allright.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.