Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Same old team year after year. when do we learn??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Same old team year after year. when do we learn??
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: June 24, 2014 09:15AM

Hello all, first let me say i hope that this team is better than last years mess. However i have my doubts. Who is going to run the ball this year??? I think the KM signing was the worst I could have imagined, great numbers good rb but behind an awesome line and QB. what we need is a stud rb and I cant believe this GM did not go get one. I think our recievers are ok, but again not a stud baller in the group just same old dink and dunk crap that isnt getting it done. I do not understand just what the hell Dion Jordan is going to do? I mean whoopie maybe 6 sacks oh that gets us in the super bowl when we cant score 17pts and cant tackle anyone. This was a total waste of a draft pick. Now you have pouncey out for who knows how long and a scramble of chicken crap will ensue. Just seems like the same old door keeps opening and closing. I hope I am wrong.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Same old team year after year. when do we learn??
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 24, 2014 10:27AM

LOL. I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Date: June 24, 2014 11:09AM

But we have great backup at defensive end!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:02PM

AND, a new logo

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:48AM

I realize people are frustrated with the Pouncey/Moreno news but I don't know that I would go that far in the assessment of this team.

Same old team? Well, we didn't ignore obvious positions all together as we have over the past several years so it is definitely different in that regard.

We acquired one of the top (4) backs in a watered down market. Other top 3 choices being Ben Tate, Chris Johnson, and MJD.

CJ = Diva who does not fit the mold
MJD = Age/Injury issues
Tate = over valued but still good back who excelled but behind one of the best lines in football. Not a great receiver or pass protector.

That being said I would have liked to draft a RB but at what cost?

At the sake of our starting RT? No, I don't think anyone would condone that.

Jarvis Landry? Possibly because WR was not a huge need (so we think) but he sure looks like a winner so far. Hard to argue a big case for against a RB over him.

We had the 50th pick but traded down to pick up a 4th round pick (4-25, Aikens). We actually traded that pick (57, Carlos Hyde) to trade down again for the 63rd pick, where we took Landry. We picked up an extra 5th rounder (5-31, Tripp)

We had a shot at...Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill & Carlos Hyde before the trade down.

We then traded back up, giving up picks 3-17 & 4-16 & to draft....

Billy Turner: I like his make up. A likely future starter at a position of great need.

We passed on Charles Sims, Tre Mason & Devonta Freeman. (pick 4-17 was used to take Ka'Deem Carey)

Walt Aikens (4-25): This is around where I would have taken a RB.

Except, not really any "name brand" RB's at this point although NE did select James White at pick 4-30.

So who would you give up for whom?

Logic says that since WR was not a huge need (so we think). We could have taken any one of those RB's but would also be potentially sacrificing the picks we got in the trade down. So it would be Landry, Aiken & Tripp traded for one of those RB's.

Although we also would not have had the ammo to move up to get Turner and would have ended up with other selections.

Our original picks were....

1-19
2-18
3-17
4-16

Miami basically got a 4th and a 5th in a trade down but gave up a 3rd and a 4th in a trade up to get the players they wanted.

I don't however, think it's all doom and gloom yet. We have actually never even gotten a look at Lamar Miller as a starter behind an adequate to average line and he was a 4th round pick who is faster than all of these RB's. He did manage 4.9 yards per carry behind an above average line in 2012.

I was also not overly thrilled with the Moreno acquisition or the Landry pick when it happened. Moreno will be back for the season. Landry may end up starting at the slot. He will at the very least be very involved in a spread attack.

We still have options and they aren't all bad as of now. Losing Pouncey will hurt but at least we have other options there as well.

We also don't even know what the new offense is going to look like. I have to give the benefit of the doubt to Hickey as he did know what their needs were.

Lamar Miller could end up with a break out year. We could also end up with a couple of "stud ballers" at WR. The expectations for Wallace were much too high last year (mostly because of what Ireland paid him)....but he is primed for a resurgent season.

He thrived in a wide open offense in Pit (Bruce Arians) before they decided to bring in dink and dunk master, Todd Haley. Then they expected him to be the same wide open player in Miami in a ridiculous WCO that lined him up in the same spot ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

I would expect more of the 1200 yard, 10 TD, 19 yard per catch season from Wallace than what he has had over the past two years.

Scheme fit is huge for RB's and WR's. (not to mention Qcool smiley

Example:

DeSean Jackson in WCO = 957 yard average & 4.6 td's.
LeSean McCoy in WCO = 966 yard average & 7.5 Td's

First year in a spread offense.....

DeSean Jackson: 1332/9 td's
LeSean McCoy: 1607/9 td's

Both career highs in a FIRST YEAR system.

Now, Miller is not McCoy but Wallace is every bit as good, if not better than D-Jackson.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: June 26, 2014 11:43AM

Miller was great when they ran him out of the spread, go back and watch the tapes. I think he will have a great year if given a shot.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: June 28, 2014 04:22PM

THE key to whether or not our running game is any good will be the O-Line...if we get good blocking the guys we have will be more then good enough.

If the blocking continues to stink so will our backs.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:52AM

Although our Oline stunk last year Miller avg 4 ypc, Thomas 3.7. Adrian Peterson avg 4.5, Lynch 4.2. I never blamed our rbs. With better blocking and play calling I think they will be ok. Gilleslee too.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 07:40AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although our Oline stunk last year Miller avg 4
> ypc, Thomas 3.7. Adrian Peterson avg 4.5, Lynch
> 4.2. I never blamed our rbs. With better blocking
> and play calling I think they will be ok.
> Gilleslee too.

I agree with that.

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: July 02, 2014 09:44AM

Wonder Why !

Tannehill = Chad Henne

Philbin = Sparano at best

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 02, 2014 10:04AM

Not as good as Sparano, Dave.

One can only guess at whether Sparano would have won the games he lost by being overly conservative HAD HE INSTEAD been a little more daring and tried for a first down when he was in field goal range. He would go 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down trying to run in safe field goal range and ultimately would kick the tying field goal only to have the defense lose it later.

Philbin on the other hand, did far worse. He would be just outside of field goal range WHERE A FIELD GOAL WOULD HAVE TIED OR WON IT and instead of assuring that winning or tying field goal, he would have Tanny trying to hit the bomb or going back to pass and getting tackled for a loss that TAKES US OUT OF THE GAME BY NOT EVEN BEING IN FIELD GOAL RANGE.

Worse, far worse. I'd rather have a guy who settles for a sure tie than a guy who runs a high risk of a loss.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 02, 2014 10:17AM

Chren sparano stucnk and wanted all those fieldgoals....Philbin is better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.