HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Satele trade good?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satele trade good?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 03:51PM

Poll
Do you like the Satele trade?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
26 votes were received.
Yes, swapping 4th and getting a 6th is worth it 14

54%
No, we got hosed 12

46%

I think we didn't get enough. 32 game starter, 2d year player, and we get the equivalent of a late 4th rounder based on the trade value chart? The odds we end up with a backup G/C as good as Satele with either pick is pretty slim. I think Ireland panicked and wanted to show Tuna ASAP that he got that pick back for the Jags DE. I mean what was the rush?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Satele trade good?
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 23, 2009 04:24PM

A 4th rounder is all we could have hoped for in a deal for Satele. There are 5 top C prospects in the draft, all expected to go in the first 3 rounds. There is no reason for a team to give up more than a 4th when they can get a good C prospect in the 3rd round. So, the net value of the deal as a late 4th rounder is about right.

The question is whether it would have been more worthwhile to keep Satele around as depth. If this regime felt that his size and strength don't fit what they want to do, then I guess it was time to get something for him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:02PM

I think it was a bad trade. If Satele really had any value we should have gotten more. Otherwise it wasn't worth the trade. If we got the 4th rounder straight up it might be better, but we had to give up OUR 4th for it.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:09PM

It means we may be able to take Jasper Brinkly ILB @ 102

Date: March 24, 2009 07:48AM

ok so we gave them our 4th round, and samson, and recieved a 4th and a 6th round pick? is that what im getting at?

Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: March 24, 2009 08:58AM

dolphinsnumberonestunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok so we gave them our 4th round, and samson, and
> recieved a 4th and a 6th round pick? is that what
> im getting at?

Yep, we got their 6th rounder and by swapping 4th round picks we get a selection 18 spots earlier.

Posted by: phinfanjake ()
Date: March 24, 2009 09:09AM

his value as a backup is greater, especially due to his being on a rookie contract....

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 24, 2009 09:25AM

According to the NFL draft value chart, we essentially upgraded our 4th round pick by 36 points.

that is equall to a 5th round pick.

So we traded Satelle for a 5th & a 6th in terms of 'value'. What must be factored in is that at the top of the 4th round there are some great picks; guys who slipped through the fast & furious day 1.

That being said; we've seen lots of picks that apparently had no value whatsoever. Even the Trifecta have missed with the 4th round.

In the end though, if Samson was going to be on the bench? might as well improve the chances of getting a starter in the 4th round.

Date: March 24, 2009 09:27AM

He was on a 2nd rounder's rookie contract; and will be replaced by a guy with a 6th round contract, and will boost the salary of 4th rounder we were going to incur anyway.

financially this works in our favour.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 24, 2009 09:44AM

In my opinion, it's impossible to tell. We don't know whether Samson would have played any downs for us in the upcoming year. We don't know who we'll pick with the additional picks or how they will turn out. In theory, I think we did ok...not great...didn't get hosed.

Last year, the Phins appeared to hit on all of the early picks - Long, Merling, Henne Langford. Then went about 50/50 (from what we can tell in early returns) thereafter - for Donald Thomas and Lionel Dotson, there were Shawn Murphy and Lex Hilliard.

So, if we assume Satele wasn't going to see the field much for us, then we probably got a projected contributor...maybe even a starter and a 'bust' with 2 picks (I know 5th/6th rounders really aren't busts, but you get the picture). It honestly feels like a win-win-win for Satele, us and the Raiders.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 24, 2009 10:14AM

What do you guys expect, the people in the NFL are not ex dolphin head coaches (that means they are not dumb). When we signed grove we shaved off a draft pick and a half off of satele's value, why? because everyone and their momma knew that satele no longer had starting potential for us and we were looking to move him. If we did not sign grove we could have gotten a 3rd for him. In the end I am happy because I would not want to move him and then look for his replacement...

also as was said we move from what 25th to #7 in the fourth round. And dont get it confused you can find some nice small school talent in the third and early part of the fourth round... I like the move.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 24, 2009 11:51AM

Good Trade, Satele is a 3rd stringer. Undersized, always being overpowered and pushed back by the heavyweights of the nfl. We got something for him, that's pretty much his equivalent which is the 6th rounder(2nd- third stringer) plus an upgrade to number 4. thumbs up

Posted by: opus ()
Date: March 25, 2009 04:21PM

OK!!!! Now everybody that crowed about getting Satele and John Beck out of the Wes Welker deal tell me how great that deal was!!! Neither of them are doing anything and we have managed to pick up a whole 6th rounder out of the deal!!! I could just freaking scream!!! We would have probably won at least one or two more games last year, maybe getting additonal home field if Chad had a guy like Welker to bring the ball in.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 25, 2009 04:41PM

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: March 25, 2009 06:02PM

The 7th round pick we got in the Welker trade was used for our punter, Brandon Fields. Still, not a very good trade, was it?

Date: March 25, 2009 06:09PM

I guess you could look at this THIS way. We signed Wes Welker as an undrafted FA. I'm pretty sure it was for the league minimum. So, the 2nd and 7th we got for him were basically for free.

Date: March 25, 2009 06:11PM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 26, 2009 12:46AM

Satele got us thru a year, but isd undersized, and this O-line needs to dominate the run.

We gave up a second rounder with experience, but one of limited value to the fins.

Tough to feel good about the trade value, but it was sunk cost to the fins. We'll be better off, so will the raiders.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 26, 2009 05:24AM

I also heard that Samson really wanted to live on the West Coast, to be closer to home. So he's got to be happy about it as well.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:25AM

realist Wrote:
What must be factored in is that at the
> top of the 4th round there are some great picks;
> guys who slipped through the fast & furious day 1.
>

Actually, that is no longer the case as only the first 2 rounds are selected on the first day of the draft, so I don't think those 4th rounders are as valuable as they once were. Teams no longer have the time to sit back and evaluate those 4th rounders with all the time in the world as the 3rd round is the first round of day 2.

Date: March 26, 2009 07:38AM

JC Wrote:
> I also heard that Samson really wanted to live on
> the West Coast, to be closer to home. So he's got
> to be happy about it as well.

Closer to home??!! Correct me if I'm wrong, you typically take a plane Hawaii whether you live on the East OR West coast. That is, unless he intends on rowing their in a canoe.

Date: March 26, 2009 08:20AM

montequi Wrote:
> JC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I also heard that Samson really wanted to live
> on
> > the West Coast, to be closer to home. So he's
> got
> > to be happy about it as well.
>
> Closer to home??!! Correct me if I'm wrong, you
> typically take a plane Hawaii whether you live on
> the East OR West coast. That is, unless he
> intends on rowing their in a canoe.

1) I was quoting a Miami sportscaster whose show I was listening to online. He was citing sources that specifically said Samson preferred to live in California because it was closer to home. His words, not mine.

2) I wasn't commenting on the *mode* of transportation, but the relative distance between places. Surely you agree that California is closer to Hawaii than Florida? Whether you take a boat, plane, jetpack, or get propelled from a catapult to get "their," California is still closer to Hawaii than Florida is, the last time I checked.

Was the satelle trade a good move???
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:11AM

I want to make a point......

I believe satelle would had been a decent guard. Maybe better than we could have expected.

Was this trade a good move?

1.We have justin smiley and donald thomas coming back from injury!!!!

2.Joe burger: not enough experience and unproven!

3.shawn murphy: we still do not know if he can ever play in the NFL.

4.Jake grove.....which is satelles replacement is injury prone.

5.Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe: Both are journeymen who werent as bad as i thought they would be last year! Still not starting material.

I know its too late now But......

I ask this................Anybody here think satele could had been a dominating guard on this team?

Ps. If both our starting guards can come back from injury, we'll be ok. If not, well have to wait and see how the season develops.!.

I think we will draft at least a couple of OLmen for depth. Maybe we can find another donald thomas.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EDIT.........Sorry i did not see the SATELE TRADE GOOD THREAD????

You moderators can link this thread to that one if you like.

*mod edit: Ok, I merged 'em! thumbs up *

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2009 08:23AM by JC.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 27, 2009 05:55AM

Date: March 27, 2009 06:37AM

you are correct. i wondered about that, and actually tried to google the schedule and came up empty handed....so i went with memory.

tahnks for the correction

cheers

Date: March 27, 2009 07:44AM

JC Wrote:
> 2) I wasn't commenting on the *mode* of
> transportation, but the relative distance between
> places. Surely you agree that California is
> closer to Hawaii than Florida? Whether you take a
> boat, plane, jetpack, or get propelled from a
> catapult to get "their," California is still
> closer to Hawaii than Florida is, the last time I
> checked.

Yeah, but what's the point? It's not like it's a 2 hour trip by car.

Date: March 27, 2009 08:03AM

Date: March 27, 2009 11:33AM

montequi Wrote:
> JC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2) I wasn't commenting on the *mode* of
> > transportation, but the relative distance
> between
> > places. Surely you agree that California is
> > closer to Hawaii than Florida? Whether you take
> a
> > boat, plane, jetpack, or get propelled from a
> > catapult to get "their," California is still
> > closer to Hawaii than Florida is, the last time
> I
> > checked.
>
> Yeah, but what's the point? It's not like it's a
> 2 hour trip by car.

But it *is* like a 11-hour trip by airplane from MIA, vs. a 5-hour trip by airplane from SFO. It takes more than twice as long to fly there from MIA.

Saving 6 hours or so each way to get home during a bye week, or for any urgent matter makes a difference to him, I'm imagining.

That's the point.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 27, 2009 06:07PM

Well it would be good if we can pick up Pat Whitewinking smiley

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: April 02, 2009 07:41AM

The real question here is How good is Jake Grove? Is he that much of an upgrade over Satele?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.