HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Satele Traded!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Satele Traded!
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:32AM

87 pick for 71st pick? that would be cool....or the 56th for the 40th would be even cooler! Giving us the 40 and 48.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:56AM

Welker was a restricted free agent.

- we tendered him at the 2nd rounder compensation contract. meaning any team that signed hi to a contract we refused to match would give up a 2nd rounder.

-We did not have a starting Quarterback that was a long term answer.

- Welker was NOT going to sign a long term deal for low pay.

SO...our choice was to sign him to a high tender and pay him over $2million for 1 year and then loose him the next season...or...tender him to the 2nd round compensation, pay him a decent amount for 1 year and or take the 2nd rounder.

The trade netted a 7th round pick that we otherwise would not have gotten.

The Pats were going to sign him to a poison pill contract that we could not match and he was therefore gone.

If you look at Wes Welkers numbers...they are great when defenses are paying close attention to the other WR's.

In his last season with us, wes had very good numbers while teams focussed on Chambers and then Hagan. But once wes's numbers increased, teams sat a safety in the short middle, taking away that quick in route and his numbers dropped. After October he was less of an impact. They took him away because we did not have a QB that could hit the other guys deep.

If we had connected more often on the deep ball then teams could NOT take the short middle away. So....without a legit QB capable of a deep ball...Wes Welker was a luxury we couldn't make use of.

Getting a 2nd & 7th for your #3 WR who is a RFA, when you aren't settled at QB...is a good deal.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:16AM

The Welker trade has always been a good deal for us, but the way in which those draft picks were used was terrible. These are two very different things, and not ultimately related.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:20AM

Satele was an average player on bad team then last year an overacheiving team. This is a good deal for Miami.

Satele isn't a starting o-linemen on an NFL level. Deffinitly not at center. Grove is a HUGE upgrade there. We had no spot for Satele.

THIS IS A GOOD MOVE

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:22AM

noetic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Welker trade has always been a good deal for
> us, but the way in which those draft picks were
> used was terrible. These are two very different
> things, and not ultimately related.

I completely agree.

However, maybe Parcells and Ireland can pull a rabbit out of their hat with the 6th rounder (from the Raiders) and the fact that we are swapping picks in another round with the Raiders. The pick swap could very well be more valuable to us than the 6th rounder.

Also, Parcells and Ireland aren't trying to make Cameron's draft look good or bad. They are just trying to make this team better, regardless of how it makes Cam's trades or drafts look.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:47AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 10:44AM

Apparently for Satele we got a 6th and swapped 4s. Not as good as I would have thought we'd get for him. Remember Shawn Murphy was a 4th, and he can't even get off the bench. I'd rather have had Satele for depth, esp given Grove's injury history.

By trading center Samson Satele to Oakland late Sunday, the Dolphins picked up a sixth-round draft pick and also will get a higher pick in the fourth round by swapping spots with the Raiders.

The Dolphins will move from the 26th to the eighth spot in the fourth round, and will get Oakland's eighth pick in the sixth round, a source familiar with the details of the trade said.

Pending further deals, the Dolphins now have nine picks in the draft.

Satele, a second-round pick in 2007, started every game in his two seasons with the Dolphins. Satele became expendable when the Dolphins signed former Raider Jake Grove to a five-year deal on March 3

Date: March 23, 2009 10:51AM

berk - where did you see that it is a 4th rounder that we swapped?

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:06AM

The early reports are that it is a 4th rounder, which would move us up 18 positions...placing us ahead of the Bill, Jets, & Patsies in the 4th round.

I hope we choose wisely, that Welker pick just might keep on giving.

Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:11AM

Swapping 4th rounders and picking up a 6th rounder is roughly equivalent to picking up a 5th rounder instead, and I think Satele was worth more than that. He's not a Pro Bowl center, but he's proven he's at least okay, and we need inexpensive depth to go along with our high salaried starters. He's still on his rookie contract, so I can't imagine his salary cap hit is an issue.

If Grove has to miss three or four games due to injury, as has been his history, who are we going to have start in his place?

Date: March 23, 2009 11:25AM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:54AM

Hate it

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:21PM

so where does this leave us at Center? Crossing our fingers that this huge question mark (Grove) will both start and dominate for us when his history is being on IR half the time and when he has played the stats surrounding Oakland's run game down the middle don't seem to back up what we are hoping for in production out of a starting center.

We certainly gave him starting money so I'm not betting the farm we are going to draft a center real high. I thought if we were going to move Satele we'd have done it closer to the draft and for more than a swapped 4th

Date: March 23, 2009 12:54PM

id say we got rid of him for a draft pick, look at it this way we ot a young BIG DT and traded a 7th round for him to jacksonville, ok we signed a better center, and traded a second rate center for a better draft pick than what we would have had, so that tells me that the brass have somthing special in mind. dont be stupid remember WE HAVE SMART BUSINESS MEN making good choices.

Posted by: yavozerb ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:59PM

Alex Mack could very well be our 1st rd pick...Nah, after thinking about it there is no way we draft a center with our 1st, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 01:01PM by yavozerb.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 01:32PM

Not with the 1st overall. But when Unger is sitting there at #44, it'll be tempting.

And that swap of 4th rounders is huge (ok maybe not, HUGE)

aLL OF THIS EFFECTING THE mock THATS FOR SURE.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 02:15PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: March 23, 2009 03:28PM

Date: March 23, 2009 03:33PM

Oh crap, I didn't see page two on this thread. It's a 4th rounder? I was wishing for higher. But at least we pick in front of all our division rivals, AND baltimore.

But I still think it's a better deal for Oakland.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:15PM

Worst trade ever was AJ Feeley for a second.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:16PM

ghotirule Wrote:
> Worst trade ever was AJ Feeley for a second.

With Lamar Gordon for a 3rd close behind. No wonder we bottomed out that year!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 06:58PM

with a close 3d giving up a 4th to move up one spot to take carey (who the vikings were NEVER going to draft) and pass on Wilfork. Leaving asied the idocey of the trade itself, the value chart said you should give up like a 6th to move up one spot in the middle of the first round, not a fourth. So very dumb. I am still pissed bout it.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:41PM

We signed Berger and Grove. We have 2 centers on the team. We are all set there. We damn sure aren't drafting a 3rd!!!!!

Satele stunk! He was small and got pushed around. This is no loss. Satele isn't an NFL caliber starting O-linemen.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: March 23, 2009 10:00PM

have to agree here, Satele was more of a liability known for getting pushed around by bigger defenders... now I'm not saying Grove is the answer we've been looking for, but it was becoming more and more apparent Satele wasn't going to realize his potential, in Miami anyways.

As far as drafting a C, i wouldn't say 1st round but any time thereafter if talent falls to us. A versatile interior lineman is definitely on the checklist... My money says our 1st 2 rnds go LB, CB, WR/C, in any order...

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Date: March 24, 2009 12:50AM

Who was the center who kept stepping on Pennington's foot last year?

Date: March 24, 2009 01:01AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 24, 2009 02:00AM

MikeO Wrote:
> We signed Berger and Grove. We have 2 centers on
> the team. We are all set there. We damn sure
> aren't drafting a 3rd!!!!!
>
> Satele stunk! He was small and got pushed around.
> This is no loss. Satele isn't an NFL caliber
> starting O-linemen.

Now we have an oft-injured Vet and a journeyman at Center, and you're saying we don't need to draft one? Satele was a solid young Center that had started every game of his career. He never missed a game due to injury!

Date: March 24, 2009 02:05AM

I hear what you are saying Victor. Youth is great, but there are other factors to consider. In two years Satele never missed a game; but he did miss a lot of blocks - or just plain got moved out of the way.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 24, 2009 02:28AM

In Bill I trust.....why not?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 24, 2009 05:21AM

Satele started every game for a 1-15 team that was god awful. Then this past year he started on a good team and played like garbage. That is all ya need to know.

I dont' care about his age and the fact he was never injured......he wasn't any good!!!!!!!! He is a bad player. The fact we got anything for him is shocking to be honest.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.