HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What are we missing to turn the corner?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What are we missing to turn the corner?
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 02, 2014 08:51AM

This subject has come up a few times this off-season as I surf the web for Dolphin news, etc. I even saw that Omar has talked about it even though I would hate to give him credit for anything positive BUT he is correct in that....We have little talent on the offense when it comes to two things...

Red Zone talent & yards after catch ability

One of my favorite players is Brian Hartline. He often makes the big catch as well as the difficult catch. He is tough, dedicated and technically sound.

One thing that he does not have is yac ability.

Mike Wallace and RT have struggled on the deep ball. I still think it will get much better and I know he offers more to the offense than most in that he opens up the field whether or not you want to believe some of the people who say the opposite. He does not offer much yac ability either. Not bad but not exactly elite.

Gibson was very impressive as the slot receiver last year before he got hurt. Mathews filled in admirably. Neither have proved to be any danger of breaking a short pass into a long TD.

I like all 3 of the top guys and I like Mathews as well.

I just think we need more weapons to open things up. Out of those 4 receivers, none have much juke or yac ability. We need a compliment and an upgrade. We need to score more points.

I do think Clay is the best of the bunch with yac. He broke free on several big plays last year, breaking tackle after tackle. Remember Polamalu getting juked to the ground for a TD? Amazing effort.

I also think we could get that extra weapon by upgrading the slot position.

Too bad we have so many needs on the line or we could spend some higher picks on the skilled positions. I do believe there will be more options at WR than there will once pick 19 rolls around.

Marquise Lee, Beckum Jr and Cooks offer pretty good value at 19. I don't think Beckum will be there but he would by my favorite.

The problem there is that they don't offer much in the way of big, red zone targets.

I can see the 19th pick going one of two ways.

1. All top 4 tackles are gone and we spend 19 on one of the above 3 players.

2. We take a tackle and go after a receiver in the 2nd round.

Ideally, we would get our tackle in the first and find a WR in the second who can be that dangerous slot receiver AND big red zone target.

Allen Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin, Martavis Byrant, Jordan Mathews ???

I also like Austin Sefarin-Jenkins or Jace Amaro as a TE option.

I think out of the first 2 picks we need an OT and a WR or TE. We should be able to find a RG from our roster or in later rounds.

I believe WR/OT would have the biggest impact on our offense as would a MLB for our defense.

1 OT
2 WR
3 LB
4 RG
5 Damn we need more picks (RB, TE, FS,

Trade down is looking better and better every day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 09:24AM by JoeFootball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are we missing to turn the corner?
Date: May 02, 2014 09:59AM

Breaking a Tackle after reception for any receiver is Tough in the NFL at this level. The Key is ball placement so they can run after the catch. We all know Tannehill has had problems with this. I believe its due to constant pressure and the fact he has only been a QB for a short time. It will be part of his growth and we need to just go all in and get him an Oline , and a running game. I'd like to see a blocking Power Fullback as well. That will open everything up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: May 02, 2014 10:33AM

I have a bad feeling that the missing element on the offensive side of the ball is strategy/tactics. This coaching staff has so far proven to be deficient in game time play and player selection especially when adjusting against opposing inter divisional teams. Hopefully this changes somewhat with the new Coordinator.

On the defensive side, it has been the LB's that are dreadful...I see them making some adjustments here in personnel, but will it be enough? Will the new Safeties be good and trained to the level where they will break up those back breaking in-the-seam passes? Lot of questions this year for the Dolphins. Many things remain to be seen.

Date: May 02, 2014 11:03AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Breaking a Tackle after reception for any receiver
> is Tough in the NFL at this level. The Key is ball
> placement so they can run after the catch. We all
> know Tannehill has had problems with this. I
> believe its due to constant pressure and the fact
> he has only been a QB for a short time. It will be
> part of his growth and we need to just go all in
> and get him an Oline , and a running game. I'd
> like to see a blocking Power Fullback as well.
> That will open everything up.

Good point. Do you think our receivers are dynamic enough IF we field a top 10 o-line?

Date: May 02, 2014 11:38AM

toko34 Wrote:
> I have a bad feeling that the missing element on
> the offensive side of the ball is
> strategy/tactics. This coaching staff has so far
> proven to be deficient in game time play and
> player selection especially when adjusting against
> opposing inter divisional teams. Hopefully this
> changes somewhat with the new Coordinator.

I think you could say the same about the defense. Obviously they feel it was a mistake the way they lined up the linebackers or they wouldn't be talking about moving them around.

Now Misi is rumored to have said that he is not able to play MLB because of the knowledge needed to lead the defense. If that's the case then definitely need a new face at LB. After all this time he can't do it? That's weak.

Giving credit where it is due, I thought the secondary played above their pay grade outside of Jones.

>
> On the defensive side, it has been the LB's that
> are dreadful...I see them making some adjustments
> here in personnel, but will it be enough? Will
> the new Safeties be good and trained to the level
> where they will break up those back breaking
> in-the-seam passes? Lot of questions this year for
> the Dolphins. Many things remain to be seen.

My main concern is the linebackers. I think Earl Mitchell is a Aaron Donald type player. The question for me still involves the ability to stop the run. Wake was the only END who played the run well.

I wouldn't be against using Odrick at end in the base defense. I would like to get bigger and more stout like Seattle uses their front 4 or 5.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 02, 2014 11:52AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Breaking a Tackle after reception for any
> receiver
> > is Tough in the NFL at this level. The Key is
> ball
> > placement so they can run after the catch. We
> all
> > know Tannehill has had problems with this. I
> > believe its due to constant pressure and the
> fact
> > he has only been a QB for a short time. It will
> be
> > part of his growth and we need to just go all
> in
> > and get him an Oline , and a running game. I'd
> > like to see a blocking Power Fullback as well.
> > That will open everything up.
>
> Good point. Do you think our receivers are dynamic
> enough IF we field a top 10 o-line?

RT has had some problems with ball placement, but other times, he is right on the money. Personally, I am not worried about that phase of his game - I am "concerned" about his missing on the long ball (especially to Wallace). If RT has a good line in front of him and he is given the "average" amount of time to step back and throw, and he still doesn't hit Wallace deep, then we have a problem.

Moreno should be able to help give RT a little extra time. As far as the OL, it will be difficult to get an immediate, GOOD starting OLineman in the draft, without a trade up, which, in turn, would deplete Miami's opportunity to fill the other holes.

Hopefully, with the guys that were retained along with the guys Hickey signed, they can get the job done, and if Hickey gets lucky and somehow drafts an immediate, good starter, then maybe Miami's offense and RT can get the job done.

Date: May 02, 2014 12:08PM

> RT has had some problems with ball placement, but
> other times, he is right on the money. Personally,
> I am not worried about that phase of his game - I
> am "concerned" about his missing on the long ball
> (especially to Wallace).

If you really think about the lack of protection and it's effect on the long ball, i am not that worried either. Ball placement? let's just be thankful RT still improved and didn't fall to the David Carr syndrome. Give him the 17th ranked pass pro instead of the worst almost ever and ball placement improves....no more hearing footsteps. Plus they even said they never worked on it last year. WTF. Now it's an issue to be work on.

If RT has a good line in
> front of him and he is given the "average" amount
> of time to step back and throw, and he still
> doesn't hit Wallace deep, then we have a problem.

True but that's also why you help him succeed by giving him another weapon with yac ability. (never should have let Reggie leave...thanks Jeff!). It's an insurance policy. IMO RT has already proven he can be THE QB. We just don't know if he can consistently carry the entire team.

>
> Moreno should be able to help give RT a little
> extra time. As far as the OL, it will be difficult
> to get an immediate, GOOD starting OLineman in the
> draft, without a trade up, which, in turn, would
> deplete Miami's opportunity to fill the other
> holes.

We are already better with Albert (and Moreno) in pass pro and I really like Shelly Smith and we have Pouncey. The blind side is good.

>
> Hopefully, with the guys that were retained along
> with the guys Hickey signed, they can get the job
> done, and if Hickey gets lucky and somehow drafts
> an immediate, good starter, then maybe Miami's
> offense and RT can get the job done.

I am liking Hickey's chances. He has been chomping at the bit for 18 years to run his own show AND he at least smart enough to know how to carry himself. That's something Ireland never had....he was a complete douchebag! At the very least that shows me Hickey is smarter.

Date: May 02, 2014 05:01PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Breaking a Tackle after reception for any
> receiver
> > is Tough in the NFL at this level. The Key is
> ball
> > placement so they can run after the catch. We
> all
> > know Tannehill has had problems with this. I
> > believe its due to constant pressure and the
> fact
> > he has only been a QB for a short time. It will
> be
> > part of his growth and we need to just go all
> in
> > and get him an Oline , and a running game. I'd
> > like to see a blocking Power Fullback as well.
> > That will open everything up.
>
> Good point. Do you think our receivers are dynamic
> enough IF we field a top 10 o-line?

I absolutely do. Especially Wallace. Man he has to slow down so often because Tannihill is not putting it out in front for him. If Tannihill can consistently place the ball out front when Wallace or Hartline can catch it in full stride? He just needs a little less pressure and more experience. We need to believe in him and go full out and build around him. The Kid is great. he is more well rounded then Luck or RGIII IMO. Luck is a better passer but no way as dynamic of a runner. RGIII can run (at least he used to be able toeye rolling smiley) But Tannihill can do both. He just needs more support and more coaching. He has skills you just can't teach. 4,000 YDs on raw talent with no Oline!!!? The Kid has it. We just need to nurture it and water it like a Tree. He can't do it himself.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: May 03, 2014 12:57AM

Mike Sherman was the problem. our offense had no identity last year and that's on him.

yac is stupid. the coaches put the players in those positions with formations, alignments and creating mismatches. we did none of that. Wallace lined up wide right 95% of the time.

utilize your weapons. don't plug them into a system and hope for the best. make them the system.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: May 03, 2014 01:13AM

Absolutely, the common denominator through the years is the loser coaches that we've been saddled with. Not just Xs and Os leadership but, if the HC doesn't inspire, if the players don't put it all on the field then you get what we got the final two days of last season.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 03, 2014 04:14AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Mike Sherman was the problem. our offense had no
> identity last year and that's on him.
>
> yac is stupid. the coaches put the players in
> those positions with formations, alignments and
> creating mismatches. we did none of that.
> Wallace lined up wide right 95% of the time.
>
> utilize your weapons. don't plug them into a
> system and hope for the best. make them the
> system.

Exactly.

That, and put a good offensive line in front of a good QB and things will improve dramatically.

Date: May 03, 2014 09:13AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Mike Sherman was the problem. our offense had no
> identity last year and that's on him.
>
> yac is stupid. the coaches put the players in
> those positions with formations, alignments and
> creating mismatches. we did none of that.
> Wallace lined up wide right 95% of the time.
>
> utilize your weapons. don't plug them into a
> system and hope for the best. make them the
> system.

Oh I agree. Sherman wasn't cut out to be a High School OC let alone a NFL OC. Horrible play calling , especially on 3rd downs. 3rd and 1 and he would go for a 15 YD bomb. His play calling was beyond terrible. And I like Philbin (I know others here don't) but the fact that he was so reluctant to can Sherman after that performance last year disturbs me.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 03, 2014 09:56AM

What are we missing? Stability.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 03, 2014 11:21AM

What are we missing?

An owner (verses a clown).

A HC (verses a sham).

After that -- pretty much the rest of the parts as well.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 03, 2014 05:59PM

Date: May 04, 2014 06:06AM

The long ball has been blown way out of proportion. Sure it is important but it's not a huge part of many offenses. That's why I think it's import to get guys who can move and juke. The majority of passes are intermediate. Wallace had many screens and shorts throws but that is just not his game IMO. He didn't do a whole lot with those catches as far as big plays.

We could also improve drastically just by fixing the offensive line. If we can create a running game, it takes SO much pressure off Tannehill. He basically carried the offense on his back last year and it was just too much to ask for a second year player.

The fact that he improved at all should shock people. Those negative type of things that happened to this offense last year would have ruined most QB's. It's a testament to how good he is going to be IMO.

I am not entirely sold that Moreno will offer much more as a pure runner but he will pay dividends in the passing game. We still don't have that home run hitter in the backfield. Lamar Miller will be better with a new line but he will never create something out of nothing. He needs a FB and does not seem to be a fit in a single back offense.

There are LOTS of good RB's to be had in the mid rounds this year. There are around 11 RB's tat can start in the NFL IMO and they will start falling in round 2 and as low as round 4.

I really like Charles Sims. He reminds me of Reggie Bush. Will be great as a pass catcher and he is fast.

Ka'Deem Carey is a violent runner and will get the tough yards. This is a guy who can break tackles. He is not fast but will still break a few.

Date: May 04, 2014 08:39AM

I agree with Ya Joe. Exactly. Hit that Oline and start up a running game. On defense we need to STOP the running game. Let grimes handle the pass plays. We will be UBER improved. Tannehill threw for almost 4000 Yds under the worst conditions. Can you imagine this kid with the improvements above!!!? 5,000 is not out of the question.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 04, 2014 09:43AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> quote: True but that's also why you help him
> succeed by giving him another weapon with yac
> ability.
>
> That's the question. Is it lack of time? Is it
> lack of developed chemistry between himself and
> the long ball receiver? Or is it that Tannehill's
> effective throwing range is limited to the 15 to
> 20 yard throw? Or is he uncomfortable with the
> long ball while staying in the pocket whether OR
> NOT he feels a pass rush or the protection
> breaking down?
>
> We'll see.

I believe RT will have a better OL in front of him, an extra blocker in the backfield that knows what he is doing (Moreno) and a OC that (I believe) has a different offensive philosophy than Sherman, and will practice the long ball during the offseason.

If all that pans out and RT still has trouble, then its time to look for a new starting QB, but...I think RT will do just fine.

Date: May 04, 2014 11:06AM

RT is not that bad at the Long ball. How many times did he hit receiver's that dropped the ball? Could he be better? of course. That will come with experience and better Pass protection. But even if the Long Ball didn't develop, big deal. I didn't see the Sea Hawks win last year on 50 YD bombs. DEFENSE with a good offense won it all. Tannehill is our QB of the future. We work around his weaknesses and build on his strenths. If the long ball develops, great. But never try to turn someone into something they are not. The Goal is To win the Superbowl. Dan Marino had a great Long ball. What did it get us? Ricky Williams rushed for 1800 Yds 1 season. What did it get us? Look at the BIG PICTURE. Tannehill is the man. Lets give him what he needs to take us to the promised land.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 04, 2014 02:17PM

I saw a couple of bombs thrown by Russell Wilson for TDs last year.

Right off hand, REMEMBER the famous controversial one wherein the defender and the receiver had almost joint possession and the receiver wrestled it out of the defender's hands and there was a big stink about the instant review call???????? Early in the season????

Date: May 04, 2014 02:49PM

But it's not what won them a SB. They won by having a complete team with a great running game a great defense.

As a matter of fact, the best two teams in the NFL last year won with the same philosophy....Seattle and San Fran.

The best passing team choked in the SB.

Date: May 04, 2014 03:12PM

EXACTLY JOE. 100%. Mr Manning choked like a crack whore with the Navy in town. We did much better when we had a killer defense with Thomas , JT, and Madison. And now we have a much better QB then the Dolphins have seen since #13. We just need to beef up the defense and surround Tannehill with the tools needs to thrive.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 04, 2014 05:11PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> The long ball has been blown way out of
> proportion. Sure it is important but it's not a
> huge part of many offenses.

Agreed, I almost started a seperate post about this the other day, RT can improve on his timing with Wallace, but IMO, there are plenty of greats who didn't hit the long ball very good. I'm more worried about his pocket presence improving.

Date: May 04, 2014 05:46PM

Date: May 04, 2014 06:30PM

When you have the worst Oline in Team History , Almost in NFL history, its kind of hard to develop any kind of presence let alone a pocket Presence.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: May 05, 2014 06:17AM

Wallace has YAC ability. He just has to stop and wait for the ball to get to him because Tannehill cannot throw the deep ball.

Those of you that want to grasp at the idea of him not having time are way mistaken. He had time the previous year and time in college and he still could not do it.

The problem between getting to the playoffs is Tannehill. When Wallace says he should had between 15-20 TD's he is not far off, but the QB did not do his job.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 05, 2014 07:10AM

Fix the damn oline.

The oline makes our running game better.
The oline makes our passing game better.
The oline helps to keep our defense off the field.

I think Tanne will have a helluva year.

I think we will see a lot more from Wallace. Some people are crying about his performance 73/940/5tds in a new O w/ a new qb is not bad.
Hope Hartline Gibson and Binns return to health. Mathews showed that he wants to play in this league.

Clay is a weapon learn how to use him more. What little I saw of Sims I liked and I think Egnew has a game.

They need to sign a FB and bite the bullet on another position.

RB's will improve w/ line we don't need to draft one.

Defense will improve Misi's a lil girl if he does not at least try at MLB. Must be nice to collect a check for only 34 solo tackles a year.

1> Martin G ND

2> James RT - TN

3> Bitonio G/T NV

4> Coleman WR Rutgers

5> Bullough MLB MI State
6> Gaston DT Purdue

7> Flowers S AZ

Date: May 05, 2014 08:46AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 05, 2014 09:01AM

The dysfuntion between Wallace & Tanne were equally on both of them. I like Wallace's attitude last year was just that come in ready for the new season. The excuses stop for Tanne this year its time to deliver.

Date: May 05, 2014 01:03PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I saw a couple of bombs thrown by Russell Wilson
> for TDs last year.
>
> Right off hand, REMEMBER the famous controversial
> one wherein the defender and the receiver had
> almost joint possession and the receiver wrestled
> it out of the defender's hands and there was a big
> stink about the instant review call???????? Early
> in the season????

Wrestled it out of his hands? The defender had the ball the whole way.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.